Sixers vs the Bucks and the rest of the east

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Sixers vs the Bucks and the rest of the east 

Post#1 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 am

How do we match-up with Bucks?

My belief is our team is indirectly built to match-up with the Bucks. Maybe because their “freak advantage” is getting neutralize with our “freak advantage”.

Then this season, we’ll have the two of the best centers who can defend Giannis.

But it’s no easy job, even Embiid gets torched by Giannis and almost dropped 50 on him. While as impressive Horford was in G1 against the Bucks, he got torched in the rest of the series.

I guess the difference now is we can alternate Al and Biid on Giannis we can split their minutes on Giannis so we have a fresh defender on him for 48 mins. Then we also have the length to clog the paint or send help defense at giannis or to rotate to the shooter (thybulle is very promising with this).

Ben and Tobi has the size to defend Middleton.

Offensively, there’s no evidence so far that either Brolo or Giannis can defend Embiid. But if that happens, Sixers can either play pick and pop to force Brolo to move his feet or use their size against Bucks SG, specially if Bucks opts for a Hill/Bledsoe backcourt.

If we can remove the Bucks out of the equation, I dont really see any threats in the east, until KD and the Nets returns to full strength.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,895

Re: Sixers vs the Bucks and the rest of the east 

Post#2 » by Wilfried » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 am

Pretty sure we're better than the Bucks
Kova
Veteran
And1: 709

Post#3 » by Kova » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:29 am

I also think we are better than Bucks. I feel like Giannis is still alone there, and even though I respect Middleton, Bledsoe and Lopez, I don't think they are on a level of Harris, Horford and Simmons. We'll just smother them on D.

Raptors showed how to guard them in the playoffs, and they didn't make any adjustments to that (while also lost Brogdon and Mirotic).
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#4 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:00 pm

It's clear, with the acquisition of Al Horford, the team was built to beat the Bucks (and to a lesser extent, the Raptors). Horford and Embiid are the only two players in the league that can guard Giannis. My only concern is that the 76ers have made sure they don't get upset by the Nets or Celtics, because they may not matchup with them well.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#5 » by thenbaman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 pm

They are better than anyone in the east including the nets when they get healthy.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#6 » by hookshot199 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 pm

LloydFree wrote:It's clear, with the acquisition of Al Horford, the team was built to beat the Bucks (and to a lesser extent, the Raptors). Horford and Embiid are the only two players in the league that can guard Giannis. My only concern is that the 76ers have made sure they don't get upset by the Nets or Celtics, because they may not matchup with them well.

Again, always the caveat of no serious injury to key Sixers players: The Celtics don't have a center,
thus can't compete with us. And I don't believe they can acquire one - Steven Adams, for instance.
They don't have the salary to match - unless they're willing to give up both Marcus Smart and Jaylen
Brown along with Semi Ojeleye.

As for Brooklyn, it all depends on when KD returns and what sort of minute restrictions he'll be
placed on. Kyrie's an upgrade over DLo. And they did bring in DeAndre Jordan. So they should be
a better team even without KD returning.

In 2020/2021 they'll be more formidable.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#7 » by youngcrev » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:10 pm

LloydFree wrote:It's clear, with the acquisition of Al Horford, the team was built to beat the Bucks (and to a lesser extent, the Raptors). Horford and Embiid are the only two players in the league that can guard Giannis. My only concern is that the 76ers have made sure they don't get upset by the Nets or Celtics, because they may not matchup with them well.

I think they're better positioned to defend PGs now with the addition of Josh Richardson and the return of Zhaire. And Horford should be infinitely better at guarding the pick and roll than Boban/Monroe. There's really no reason this team shouldn't be elite defensively outside of injuries. When your weak link is a 6'9" somewhat switchable forward I see no excuse.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,181

Post#8 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:32 pm

I like our chances in the East this year. The only team in the league I really worry about is the Clippers.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,569

Post#9 » by Slacktard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm

I feel like the Bucks could win the #1 seed in the East (because of Sixers load management) and still not be favored in a playoff series against the Sixers.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#10 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 pm

I still think Bucks will have the best record.

That Giannis-Brolo frontcourt is a nightmare for regular season teams.

If you put your PF on Giannis, he’s gonna eat him alive. The way to counter it is by placing your center on Giannis, with your center at the perimeter sticked on Brook. While there’s really just a handful of centers who can slow him down.

That is Bucks’ biggest edge.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,695

Post#11 » by phillynative » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:28 pm

All these so called analyst are saying that the Bucks are in our way. I'm looking at how we match up with them.
They are top heavy like us with great size and defense. I think we may be the only team that has 3 guys that can defend Giannis straight up in Joey, Ben and Al. I think losing Jimmy hurts because he canceled out Middleton . But they lost one of the best 3&D players while we added one in Richardson. They added Robin lopez who is a underrated defensive anchor. I still dont see him doing anything with joel though
I also believe they have a slight edge with George hill , Illy and Lopez. Mike Scott and Illy cancel each other out at this point but George hill and Lopez can start for some teams.

Another point they like to make is Giannis was the MVP and is still growing . It's TRUE but it's not like Joel and Ben have hit there ceiling either.

It should make for some intense regular season games
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,108

Post#12 » by Arsenal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 pm

76ciology wrote:I still think Bucks will have the best record.

That Giannis-Brolo frontcourt is a nightmare for regular season teams.

If you put your PF on Giannis, he’s gonna eat him alive. The way to counter it is by placing your center on Giannis, with your center at the perimeter sticked on Brook. While there’s really just a handful of centers who can slow him down.

That is Bucks’ biggest edge.

All we need is to have homecourt vs. the West. We can handle the Bucks without homecourt.

Just like the Raptors this year.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#13 » by sixers hoops » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am

After free agency shook out, Parx had:
Clips +250
Lakers +350
Bucks +600
Sixers +900
Rockets +1200

Now:
Clips +320
Lakers +375
Bucks +600
Sixers +700
Rockets +750

I don’t really gamble though so I’m not too experienced in assessing if our transactions moved the line or simply the people laying money on the Sixers moved the line.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,896

Post#14 » by kuclas » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:29 pm

The bucks really have no one to defend embiid. Everyone talks about giannis averaging 43-13-6

But embiid average 35/16/8 against the bucks. And one of those games was back to back road games on the road in Milwaukee.

Embiid presents a huge mismatch problem. Bucks can not afford to put giannis on embiid. He can get those highlight blocks on embiid all he wants. It’s just not a long term defensive strategy to use their best offensive and defensive player on embiid. Giannis will fatigue himself out just as quickly as embiid fatigues himself out. And sixers can survive without embiid more than bucks can survive without giannis.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#15 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:02 pm

The Lopez brothers can't stay in front of Embiid in space, but both are stout, big-bodied shotblockers that can give Joel issues on the block. Robin Lopez was a good pickup for them in their efforts to compete with Joel.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#16 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The Lopez brothers can't stay in front of Embiid in space, but both are stout, big-bodied shotblockers that can give Joel issues on the block. Robin Lopez was a good pickup for them in their efforts to compete with Joel.

They cant play Rolo with Giannis, unless Rolo surprises us with his shooting or Rolo cut his hair and confuses the defense that it’s Brolo on the court.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#17 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:19 pm

If Giannis wants 48 minutes of unclogged lane, he's going to have to defend the star bigs himself when Brook isn't on the floor.

I doubt he or Bucks management wants that workload for him.

He'll just have to figure out how to be effective with a nonspacing big for occasional stretches.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#18 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Entertaining. Hollins was his usual anti-sixers self. They then roast Hollins relentlessly hahaha
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#19 » by fl311 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Ryan Hollins is a worse analyst than he was NBA player. That is saying something
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,108

Post#20 » by Arsenal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm

sixers hoops wrote:After free agency shook out, Parx had:
Clips +250
Lakers +350
Bucks +600
Sixers +900
Rockets +1200

Now:
Clips +320
Lakers +375
Bucks +600
Sixers +700
Rockets +750

I don’t really gamble though so I’m not too experienced in assessing if our transactions moved the line or simply the people laying money on the Sixers moved the line.

Vegas odds are out of whack because there are a ton of casuals who saw the headlines this summer, and have decided to bet on the Clippers and Lakers.

Just the fact they are both in the brutal West should move both of their odds below the Bucks and Sixers.

The Sixers and Bucks should both be at the top due to the weak East. All they need to do is beat the other and then whoever comes out of the bloodbath in the West, likely with homecourt in hand.

538 ratings take these things into account, so they should be more accurate at the top.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers