OKC to meet with CP3 & trade him to his preferred destination

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,817

Re: OKC to meet with CP3 & trade him to his preferred destination 

Post#121 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:46 pm

righterwriter wrote:If they couldn't find a third team to take Chris Paul on as part of this deal, that should have been a clue for Presti.

Worst case, you hold onto Paul until December when all the free agent contracts can be traded. Any team that is trying to win right now and can use a PG will be a suitor for CP (e.g. Lakers/Miami/Pistons/Magic/Spurs/Wolves).
BVB24
Veteran
And1: 6,035

Post#122 » by BVB24 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Miami on Line 1.

Read on Twitter
Lilseb93
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,170

Post#123 » by Lilseb93 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:53 pm

I want nothing to do with him unless we're getting picks back.
Heat Culture :hug:
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#124 » by Effigy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Effigy wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Knicks could have been a good landing spot for him considering he’d probably love to play in NY and their would be zero pressure to the make the playoffs. It would set them up nicely for 2021 because they could be a playoff team similar to the Nets with incoming draft picks, a veteran presence and at possibly some budding young talent. But then again that would require the Knicks to have competent management.

It doesn’t set them up nicely for 2021 to still be paying Chris Paul $46 million until 2022. They’d want to have hat money available for a FA.

If they have Chris Paul and a bunch of rookie contracts they’ll still be under the cap to sign a superstar and some complimentary pieces. Better yet they’d be positioned as a legit contender. Or they can keep doing the same thing they’ve done every offseason and filed a trash team only to get rejected by every free agent worth a damn.

What they usually do every off season is give huge contracts to players who don't deserve it and trade away all their draft picks for players with marginal impacts on winning. It looks like they've put all that behind them now and are keeping their picks and saving their money. This is not the Isiah Thomas Knicks. This is the rebuild they should have done 20 years ago. It takes time, but they're finally on the right track and trading anything for Chris Paul, even just cap space would be an Isiah Thomas move.
BIG Game
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#125 » by BIG Game » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm

LMAO if the Lakers give up a bag of rocks for CP3 Pelinka goes down as one of the gretest GM's ever. Prove me wrong lol
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#126 » by Slim Tubby » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:If CP3 is really a malcontent who wants to play for a contender, it looks to me that Miami is the only viable option right now. Minnesota? Why would he want to go there?

I'd also be surprised that OKC went through with the deal without some feedback on what Cp3 is willing to do and where to go.

Why would OKC even be interested in a buyout of any kind? Miami just makes the most sense and since they have Jimmy they might as well go all in and see where they can go with Jimmy CP3 and maybe Adams or Gallo.

The price may have been too high for Westbrook so Miami is willing to do CP3 and give up less in terms of assets. We'll see.

The question is not why would Paul want to go to MN. It's why in the heck would MN want Paul? Grossly overrated for his age, oft-injured and one of the worst contracts in the league. I feel sorry for the team that ends up with him. Presti has his work cut out for him. If MIA is the primary suitor for a trade, I sure as heck wouldn't offer any young assets for him and they should demand picks coming back to take on his deal.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 635

Post#127 » by tsirigoj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 pm

BIG Game wrote:LMAO if the Lakers give up a bag of rocks for CP3 Pelinka goes down as one of the gretest GM's ever. Prove me wrong lol

Then the Lakers are on the hook for that awful contract.

Lakers' best hope is CP3 asks for a buy-out, gets it, sign to LA for vet's min. If that happens, then Lakers challenge Clippers for best off-season.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#128 » by Neutral 123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:If CP3 is really a malcontent who wants to play for a contender, it looks to me that Miami is the only viable option right now. Minnesota? Why would he want to go there?

I'd also be surprised that OKC went through with the deal without some feedback on what Cp3 is willing to do and where to go.

Why would OKC even be interested in a buyout of any kind? Miami just makes the most sense and since they have Jimmy they might as well go all in and see where they can go with Jimmy CP3 and maybe Adams or Gallo.

The price may have been too high for Westbrook so Miami is willing to do CP3 and give up less in terms of assets. We'll see.

The question is not why would Paul want to go to MN. It's why in the heck would MN want Paul? Grossly overrated for his age, oft-injured and one of the worst contracts in the league. I feel sorry for the team that ends up with him. Presti has his work cut out for him. If MIA is the primary suitor for a trade, I sure as heck wouldn't offer any young assets for him and they should demand picks coming back to take on his deal.

CP3 is the type of player worth considering if you want to compete for a title. Minnesota isn't there yet. Miami could be, with Butler and Adams in the East. Still a longshot but I can see them taking their swing.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,569

Post#129 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:10 pm

You would think people would stop saying "were definitely not" "Zero Chance". As if you have any idea what the team is going to do.

I'm calling it now. Dragic, Winslow, Waiters for CP3.
Slim Tubby
Starter

Post#130 » by Slim Tubby » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:

CP3 is the type of player worth considering if you want to compete for a title. Minnesota isn't there yet. Miami could be, with Butler and Adams in the East. Still a longshot but I can see them taking their swing.

Perfect summary IMO, Neutral.
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#131 » by Wolfy1983 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

I believe CP3 will have a resurgence year. It is the next year and year after that, that I am concerned about.
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#132 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 pm

The only trade partner I can think of is Miami since Riley mistakenly thinks that team is a player away from contending. IDK if they are ready to take that money on though.

I can see Paul opting out of his final year, maybe even reducing his 2019 + 2020 salary, and getting waived. If this is the case, if I am OKC I dont stretch him. Take the salary for two years while rebuilding.

Next step should be moving Steven Adams. I think Atlanta is a great fit, but their fans are bullish on the fact any C needs to have 3PT range. After them, Charlotte is a clear contender for a 'buy low' on Adams IMO.
Slim Tubby
Starter

Post#133 » by Slim Tubby » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:You would think people would stop saying "were definitely not" "Zero Chance". As if you have any idea what the team is going to do.

Presti's only goal should be to shed the terms of Paul's contract. To expect an asset back like Winslow is a pipedream in my opinion. I would think Expiring deals is the best he could hope for but who knows...we've seen some cray **** this offseason.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,569

Post#134 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:You would think people would stop saying "were definitely not" "Zero Chance". As if you have any idea what the team is going to do.

Presti's only goal should be to shed the terms of Paul's contract. To expect an asset back like Winslow is a pipedream in my opinion. I would think Expiring deals is the best he could hope for but who knows...we've seen some cray **** this offseason.

Its just this idea that CP3 is all of a sudden not an effective player is a myth. Hes still a game changer. He played in probably the worst system in the league for his style and still managed to be top 5 in RPM at the PG spot.

I can understand some teams not loving the money, but at the end of the day Miami gets much much better with this trade.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#135 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:29 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:

Its just this idea that CP3 is all of a sudden not an effective player is a myth. Hes still a game changer. He played in probably the worst system in the league for his style and still managed to be top 5 in RPM at the PG spot.

I can understand some teams not loving the money, but at the end of the day Miami gets much much better with this trade.

Effective but not a difference maker. When you make that much money, it means you're a detriment to the team. Paul on a $15M/year contract is a positive player. Right now, he's just a guarantee you won't contend.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#136 » by Mister Ze » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Wiggins ?
BIG Game
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#137 » by BIG Game » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:34 pm

tsirigoj wrote:
BIG Game wrote:LMAO if the Lakers give up a bag of rocks for CP3 Pelinka goes down as one of the gretest GM's ever. Prove me wrong lol

Then the Lakers are on the hook for that awful contract.

Lakers' best hope is CP3 asks for a buy-out, gets it, sign to LA for vet's min. If that happens, then Lakers challenge Clippers for best off-season.

If that happens people will start saying Rob Lowe is a Pelinka look alike. I'm here for it!!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#138 » by HMFFL » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 pm

ken6199 wrote:Twolves for Wiggins/Dieng and Teague.
If Minny can pull it off that would be great.
I doubt Chris Paul is considering Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#139 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:52 pm

I gotta think he wants LAL or MIA

I dunno how either of those teams fit him unless he makes some sacrifice of $$$$

Guy is at the point in his career where he should be about winning vs $$$$

but I can't say I've ever heard him utter that phrase "I just want to win'

even tho we know that is BS from MOST guys.
But he's a 1st ballot HOF guy., he does not have to raise the LOB to get in the HOF.
So is he really sitting on a a decision of win or $$$?

He's never played in the East.
East is prime for the taking. MIA with him and Butler makes the playoffs.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#140 » by ken6199 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 pm

HMFFL wrote:
ken6199 wrote:Twolves for Wiggins/Dieng and Teague.
If Minny can pull it off that would be great.
I doubt Chris Paul is considering Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Not the most appealing location compared to Miami and LA but playing with Towns and with the opportunity to revive a long dead franchise. He is also very close to Okogie who he managed on his AAU team, he'd be great next to Culver. If OKC can somehow throw Galo into the deal, a Galo+Covington+Towns front court immediately gets him contending. I'll do it if I was Paul.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.

Return to The General Board