Post#21 » by Zack M » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

Never thought this day would come :(
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Re: Russell Westbrook Appreciation Thread 

Post#22 » by slick_watts » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 pm

for as polarizing he has been as a player, seems like a good enough dude otherwise. once a thunder, always a thunder. i'll be keeping an eye on westbrook just like i do kevin durant and james harden. thanks for the memories and countless hours at spreadsheets dissecting your game.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#23 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm

slick_watts wrote:for as polarizing he has been as a player, seems like a good enough dude otherwise. once a thunder, always a thunder. i'll be keeping an eye on westbrook just like i do kevin durant and james harden. thanks for the memories and countless hours at spreadsheets dissecting your game.

You softie.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Post#24 » by ken6199 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 pm

To me if we call Clippers big 3 a big what if story, then the OKC big 3 is a much bigger. From talent to their personal relationship, on every level. I didn't even bother to participate any "oh are they going to fit" "is Houston getting better or worse" discussions last night because it didn't **** matter. As I've said repeatedly before, I really hope those 3 guys could have a chance to play together for one more time towards the end of their career, and I don't really care at which team they team up be it Cleveland or Charlotte. Fittingly, KD got his, and the rest two are finally together. This is all about unfinished business.

spearsy23 wrote:You softie.

A friend of mine wrote a great article about OKC from their Seattle relocation to Westbrook departure (not in English). When I get some time later today I will translate it and post it here. It's a very good and emotional read. So get your charmin ready tough guy.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#25 » by Patches Perry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 pm

It hasn't really hit me yet. Westbrook is the best player in franchise history and there are so many magic moments, but honestly, it was the year after Durant left that is most memorable. Everybody was down, and he single-handedly made OKC must-see-TV. I looked forward to watching OKC every other night more that season than maybe any other season.

This offseason has taken such a weird turn that I will be rooting for Houston to win a title for Brodie's sake. wtf.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#26 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:59 pm

I propose we keep this thread going throughout the season. I reckon plenty of us will be keeping track of the Rockets.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#27 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Patches Perry wrote:It hasn't really hit me yet. Westbrook is the best player in franchise history and there are so many magic moments, but honestly, it was the year after Durant left that is most memorable. Everybody was down, and he single-handedly made OKC must-see-TV. I looked forward to watching OKC every other night more that season than maybe any other season.

This offseason has taken such a weird turn that I will be rooting for Houston to win a title for Brodie's sake. wtf.

"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#28 » by Patches Perry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Image

I was going to mention that game too. Just incredible. Break the triple double record, put up 50 pts on 32 shots with 16 rbs and 10 asts and only 2 turnovers, came back from double digits with 2 minutes left, hit a 40 footer to win the game, knock Denver out of playoff contention.

Given everything going on in that game, how he performed and how it ended, I honestly think it's one of the greatest games ever played by an NBA player. Westbrook may have crippling lows, but those dizzying highs were a blast.

I was at a Hudsons near my house, and I believe it was a Sunday afternoon, and everybody in the place just had their jaws dropped by the end. Amazing.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#29 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Patches Perry wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:Image

I was going to mention that game too. Just incredible. Break the triple double record, put up 50 pts on 32 shots with 16 rbs and 10 asts and only 2 turnovers, came back from double digits with 2 minutes left, hit a 40 footer to win the game, knock Denver out of playoff contention.

Given everything going on in that game, how he performed and how it ended, I honestly think it's one of the greatest games ever played by an NBA player. Westbrook may have crippling lows, but those dizzying highs were a blast.

I was at a Hudsons near my house, and I believe it was a Sunday afternoon, and everybody in the place just had their jaws dropped by the end. Amazing.

I remember I was sitting on my couch, kind of pissed off about the general state of the team until Russ took me on his back and dragged me along to the victory, almost unwillingly.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#30 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Russ did more for us than many people believe. 3 years ago a future top 10 or top 15 all time great walked for free and we thought it was over and it was time to close the door. Sure we didn't advance to the second round after this, but OMG what a season Westbrook had just after that (one of the best regular season ever according to many people). It was surreal. I never enjoyed watching the Thunder more than in 2016-2017. To me it was better to watch 82 games of this monster freak that going to the second round or even the WCF. He's also the reason why we traded for PG13 and he stayed, and MVPG was a nice thing to watch as well.

Sure, Russ has his flaws and his knees aren't helping him right now, but that guy gave 100% to our team both on and off the court, and that's what I value about athletes.
Hope the young players that we will develop in the next years will get inspired by the hard work, commitment and loyalty Russ brought to our franchise.
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#31 » by mr570 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:It hasn't really hit me yet. Westbrook is the best player in franchise history and there are so many magic moments, but honestly, it was the year after Durant left that is most memorable. Everybody was down, and he single-handedly made OKC must-see-TV. I looked forward to watching OKC every other night more that season than maybe any other season.

I've re-watched this maybe five times in the past two days and Brian Davis' commentary still sends a shiver down my spine. Damn am I going to miss Russ.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#32 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am

The ig post got me a little bit. Greatest player in our history.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#33 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:45 am

Best moments (tough to recall all) :
-Game winner against GSW after rebounding the ball
-Game winner against Denver
-Shot from half court against Orlando to tie the game and win in OT
-Think a game against Dallas during his MVP season where he made like our last 18 OKC points (we were losing by +/- 10 points and a game winning shot
- that crazy comeback game against the Clippers in the playoffs (CP3 made a stupid foul on him and he made the 3 FTs)

And so many off the court interviews and attitudes...OMG :)
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#34 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Russ stuck up for OKC and OKC stuck up for Russ. I'll miss that relationship. It was unique in the NBA.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#35 » by Pillendreher » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Russ stuck up for OKC and OKC stuck up for Russ. I'll miss that relationship. It was unique in the NBA.
Time to put up the statue.

Just saw the IG vid. My poor heart.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#36 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:47 pm

still dreaming that he will be ok to get a buy out last year of his career to retire as a Thunder.

Don't think the odds are that high but ...why not?
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 813

Post#37 » by 1bigfan13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 am

They'll start construction on his statue the minute he retires.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder