ImageImageImage

2019 Off-season Thread

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 26,440
And1: 14,262
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1001 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:31 am

Neptune wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Im at a loss on what to do with this team. This is such a tough location to build a team at i swear.

We deserve more credit then we get for our titles cause we were always the little engine that could type but man its hard to build here.

We'll never move forward if we're scared to take chances on star players whose value are currently low. I'm seriously on the fence with this organization man. You have a chance to compete but you decide not to offer a pick. You have two All-NBA bigs, but you don't trade for a star guard to feed them. This isn't the Pistons I've always loved. Not at all man.

Yeah i thought for sure they were gonna get him. There was definitely a limit for what i would have given but that felt like one of those rare chances to get some nice talent while everyone is so low on him. Thats how we have brought any talent in here whether its Orlando having buyers Remorse on Tobias or the way we built our 04 team on players teams given up on.

If the player is perfect at the moment then he wouldnt be available to begin with. Just like Blake was supposed to be washed up and he just had his best season to date.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,860
And1: 766
Joined: Jul 22, 2013

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1002 » by sc8581 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 am

Neptune wrote:
sc8581 wrote:Kyle Lowry for Reggie, Snell and a pick? Maybe add Drummond and Gasol in the deal? Where does that put us in the east?

Why in the world would we do that for Lowry but not offer that deal for Westbrook whose also the better player?

This team has me depressed


How do you know what we offered for Westbrook? Lowry only has one more year on his deal, not a long-term commitment
User avatar
A_dub06
Rookie
Posts: 1,163
And1: 453
Joined: Dec 02, 2013
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1003 » by A_dub06 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 am

Neptune wrote: We'll never move forward if we're scared to take chances on star players whose value are currently low. I'm seriously on the fence with this organization man. You have a chance to compete but you decide not to offer a pick. You have two All-NBA bigs, but you don't trade for a star guard to feed them. This isn't the Pistons I've always loved. Not at all man.


Couldn’t the same be said for rebuilding though? If we are too scared to actually bottom out and focus on bringing in young players and draft picks we will never be able to build the foundation necessary to then make trading for star players with questions surrounding them seem like a worthy investment. The foundation is what we should be aiming for, and that’s not going to happen if we are constantly re-tooling to try and sneak into the playoffs.

I think we are all frustrated with the lack of direction, hope, and potential the team has.
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 7,958
And1: 2,127
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1004 » by DBC10 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am

sc8581 wrote:Kyle Lowry for Reggie, Snell and a pick? Maybe add Drummond and Gasol in the deal? Where does that put us in the east?


Well, we'd be the Raptors South but with BG being the headlining player here. I think that can make some noise since both Lowry and Gasol are veterans.

I've always liked Lowry even when he seems to have his shooting woes. He's solid.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,069
And1: 7,697
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1005 » by Manocad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:33 am

Neptune wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Im at a loss on what to do with this team. This is such a tough location to build a team at i swear.

We deserve more credit then we get for our titles cause we were always the little engine that could type but man its hard to build here.

We'll never move forward if we're scared to take chances on star players whose value are currently low. I'm seriously on the fence with this organization man. You have a chance to compete but you decide not to offer a pick. You have two All-NBA bigs, but you don't trade for a star guard to feed them. This isn't the Pistons I've always loved. Not at all man.

You say “chance to compete” as a statement of fact as though adding Westbrook to this team is 100% addition with no negative impact whatsoever. Do you think Blake gets the ball as much with Westbrook on the team? Absolutely not. Not to mention that Westbrook can’t shoot and the Pistons are a lousy rebounding team outside of Dre. Consider this: Westbrook’s career win share, if you’re into that, is 6.8. Add that to the Pistons and they’re a 47-48 win team. Just on a record eyeball test, do you really think that’s “competing” for a championship, even in the current Eastern Conference? Maybe you do. That screams 2nd round at best to me.
Image
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,069
And1: 7,697
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1006 » by Manocad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Neptune wrote: We'll never move forward if we're scared to take chances on star players whose value are currently low. I'm seriously on the fence with this organization man. You have a chance to compete but you decide not to offer a pick. You have two All-NBA bigs, but you don't trade for a star guard to feed them. This isn't the Pistons I've always loved. Not at all man.


Couldn’t the same be said for rebuilding though? If we are too scared to actually bottom out and focus on bringing in young players and draft picks we will never be able to build the foundation necessary to then make trading for star players with questions surrounding them seem like a worthy investment. The foundation is what we should be aiming for, and that’s not going to happen if we are constantly re-tooling to try and sneak into the playoffs.

I think we are all frustrated with the lack of direction, hope, and potential the team has.

100% correct. Absolutely the same thing can be said about rebuilding. I’ve repeatedly said to the rebuild detractors that it hasn’t been tried yet. Just keeping your 1st round draft pick every year while continuing to sign past their prime stars is hardly rebuilding in the context we use here.
Image
User avatar
Moses ShamMoses
Starter
Posts: 2,233
And1: 810
Joined: Nov 28, 2012

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1007 » by Moses ShamMoses » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 am

I'm so glad Stefanski and Co. passed on Westbrook and his future albatross contract. Looking at what Westbrook ultimately was traded for, we certainly could have beaten that offer. It rings true that sometimes your best investments are the ones you don’t make. :D
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 7,958
And1: 2,127
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1008 » by DBC10 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:49 am

Manocad wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Neptune wrote: We'll never move forward if we're scared to take chances on star players whose value are currently low. I'm seriously on the fence with this organization man. You have a chance to compete but you decide not to offer a pick. You have two All-NBA bigs, but you don't trade for a star guard to feed them. This isn't the Pistons I've always loved. Not at all man.


Couldn’t the same be said for rebuilding though? If we are too scared to actually bottom out and focus on bringing in young players and draft picks we will never be able to build the foundation necessary to then make trading for star players with questions surrounding them seem like a worthy investment. The foundation is what we should be aiming for, and that’s not going to happen if we are constantly re-tooling to try and sneak into the playoffs.

I think we are all frustrated with the lack of direction, hope, and potential the team has.

100% correct. Absolutely the same thing can be said about rebuilding. I’ve repeatedly said to the rebuild detractors that it hasn’t been tried yet. Just keeping your 1st round draft pick every year while continuing to sign past their prime stars is hardly rebuilding in the context we use here.


What also gets lost is, we can rebuild a bit, and if it shows a semblance of it not working out, we can cash in all those young talent/draft picks for a disgruntled star or RFA in the trade market. That's literally how the Raptors just won a chip, they had young talent they developed and cashed in with the Kawhi, Green, and Gasol who were all good contributors in the playoffs.

In this day and age, draft picks, especially high lottery picks will always have a lot of value, and if we can amass some, we give ourselves flexibility to cash in or let them develop.
User avatar
Mr. Krabs
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,471
And1: 207
Joined: Feb 24, 2008

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1009 » by Mr. Krabs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Can we look into what it would take to acquire D'Angelo Russell? Warriors are likely to trade him with Curry/Thompson there long term, maybe we can ship Dre there with some picks? They don't have a C.
El Chivo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,895
And1: 754
Joined: Jun 19, 2015
Location: Roma
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1010 » by El Chivo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Nobody wants Drummond if his price is an all-star like Russell. And nobody has ever offered even a top pick for him.

Warriors have WCS and Looney for peanuts and that combo is way better than Drummond at 25+ mln per year.

He has not the value somebody thinks he has.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Canadafan
Starter
Posts: 2,247
And1: 647
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1011 » by Canadafan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Youd think we'd be attempting to trade RJ(and Galloway) considering they're expirings. Doubt we'd just let them expire.
I feel like Rose signed here as well as Frasier knowing we're looking at getting something for RJ. And the whole Brown at PG in summer league gets him ready to be the 3rd PG.

PG-Rose Frasier Brown
SG-Luke Brown Thomas
SF-? Snell Svi
PF-Blake Kief Thon
C-Dre ? Thon

Sekou is youngest player in draft. 18. Give him time and hopefully he becomes something great for us. I highly doubt he plays much this year and that's ok.
I still hold out hope for a swap of RJ for Fournier and LG for Baynes or Patterson on OKC.
Would make things more interesting instead of running it back with RJ again goddddd.
Or at least trade these guys for some sorta assets. Gotta keep loading up on picks so we eventually catch lightning in a bottle.
Fournier + Andre + Snell all with expirings for 2021 gives us a shot at more assets as well going forward.
Then we deal Blake eventually for assets.
With the new rules of lottery theres no point in bottoming out. Look what happened to those teams this past draft. The key is collecting assets and drafting like a boss!
pistons4ever
Sophomore
Posts: 144
And1: 46
Joined: Jul 03, 2016
         

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1012 » by pistons4ever » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:46 pm

We had 4 oppurtunitys zu draft Tacko!!?!??!!!!
Canadafan
Starter
Posts: 2,247
And1: 647
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1013 » by Canadafan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 pm

A few ideas. #2 and #3 have been ridiculed before but hey let's just talk about it lol

Trade combinations of our expirings of RJ($18)LG($7)Thon($3.5) for;

1. Otto Porter Jr($27)
2. Wiggins($27.5)
3. Batum($25.5)

With #2 and #3 we get multiple draft picks
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 7,958
And1: 2,127
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1014 » by DBC10 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:21 pm

I'm surprised Joakim Noah or maybe even Pau Gasol haven't been picked up yet.

I think Noah would feel right at home playing with Rose.
User avatar
GreekAlex
Rookie
Posts: 1,115
And1: 386
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1015 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Canadafan wrote:A few ideas. #2 and #3 have been ridiculed before but hey let's just talk about it lol

Trade combinations of our expirings of RJ($18)LG($7)Thon($3.5) for;

1. Otto Porter Jr($27)
2. Wiggins($27.5)
3. Batum($25.5)

With #2 and #3 we get multiple draft picks


I’d love Otto Porter but the Pistons would have to give the Bulls a compelling reason to trade him.

He played great for them after the trade and they’ve shown no indication they want to deal him.

As for Wiggins & Batum, that’s a hard pass.
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,299
And1: 4,060
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1016 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:26 pm

DBC10 wrote:I'm surprised Joakim Noah or maybe even Pau Gasol haven't been picked up yet.

I think Noah would feel right at home playing with Rose.


https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2019/07/11/detroit-pistons-roster-free-agency-news/1684005001/

Another name to watch is Pau Gasol. The Pistons have interest in him, a person with firsthand knowledge of the situation told the Free Press. A partnership could be natural, considering Pistons vice chairman Arn Tellem is Gasol’s former agent. Tellem attended Gasol’s wedding last weekend.

Gasol, 39, is recovering from surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot, which ended his 2018-19 season after 30 games, and will impede him from playing in this summer's FIBA World Cup. He averaged 3.9 points and 4.6 rebounds in 12 minutes per game with San Antonio and Milwaukee.

He told ESPN.com recently he should be able to resume basketball activities in August.


I think Gasol will wait until the season to sign as he's in no rush given he's not healthy yet and getting the vet minimum, might as well wait to see if a top contender comes knocking. I don't think we'll be in any rush either to fill our final roster spot - with Maker and Kieff able to play there, I might rather gamble on a young center plucked from the SL than on a oldhead like Gasol.
User avatar
GreekAlex
Rookie
Posts: 1,115
And1: 386
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1017 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Kilo wrote:
DBC10 wrote:I'm surprised Joakim Noah or maybe even Pau Gasol haven't been picked up yet.

I think Noah would feel right at home playing with Rose.


https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2019/07/11/detroit-pistons-roster-free-agency-news/1684005001/

Another name to watch is Pau Gasol. The Pistons have interest in him, a person with firsthand knowledge of the situation told the Free Press. A partnership could be natural, considering Pistons vice chairman Arn Tellem is Gasol’s former agent. Tellem attended Gasol’s wedding last weekend.

Gasol, 39, is recovering from surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot, which ended his 2018-19 season after 30 games, and will impede him from playing in this summer's FIBA World Cup. He averaged 3.9 points and 4.6 rebounds in 12 minutes per game with San Antonio and Milwaukee.

He told ESPN.com recently he should be able to resume basketball activities in August.


I think Gasol will wait until the season to sign as he's in no rush given he's not healthy yet and getting the vet minimum, might as well wait to see if a top contender comes knocking. I don't think we'll be in any rush either to fill our final roster spot - with Maker and Kieff able to play there, I might rather gamble on a young center plucked from the SL than on a oldhead like Gasol.


I have no interest in Noah or Gasol.

I don’t think Gasol has anything left.

There’s no real upside to Noah.

If we’re going the veteran route, is there a Center that commands respect and would be a good locker room presence? If not, I’d much prefer a younger player with upside that has potential to develop.

Noah and Gasol don’t really fit the bill.
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,299
And1: 4,060
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1018 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:41 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Kilo wrote:
DBC10 wrote:I'm surprised Joakim Noah or maybe even Pau Gasol haven't been picked up yet.

I think Noah would feel right at home playing with Rose.


https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2019/07/11/detroit-pistons-roster-free-agency-news/1684005001/

Another name to watch is Pau Gasol. The Pistons have interest in him, a person with firsthand knowledge of the situation told the Free Press. A partnership could be natural, considering Pistons vice chairman Arn Tellem is Gasol’s former agent. Tellem attended Gasol’s wedding last weekend.

Gasol, 39, is recovering from surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot, which ended his 2018-19 season after 30 games, and will impede him from playing in this summer's FIBA World Cup. He averaged 3.9 points and 4.6 rebounds in 12 minutes per game with San Antonio and Milwaukee.

He told ESPN.com recently he should be able to resume basketball activities in August.


I think Gasol will wait until the season to sign as he's in no rush given he's not healthy yet and getting the vet minimum, might as well wait to see if a top contender comes knocking. I don't think we'll be in any rush either to fill our final roster spot - with Maker and Kieff able to play there, I might rather gamble on a young center plucked from the SL than on a oldhead like Gasol.


I have no interest in Noah or Gasol.

I don’t think Gasol has anything left.

There’s no real upside to Noah.

If we’re going the veteran route, is there a Center that commands respect and would be a good locker room presence? If not, I’d much prefer a younger player with upside that has potential to develop.

Noah and Gasol don’t really fit the bill.


Noah was pretty useful in Memphis actually. He wouldn't be terrible as a 4th big, but I don't think he'd have any interest as a 5th. If we moved Maker/Galloway package for an upgrade elsewhere we could do worse. I would have concerns about his party lifestyle infecting Griffin though. Detroit isn't NYC of course either.
User avatar
GreekAlex
Rookie
Posts: 1,115
And1: 386
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1019 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Kilo wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Kilo wrote:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2019/07/11/detroit-pistons-roster-free-agency-news/1684005001/



I think Gasol will wait until the season to sign as he's in no rush given he's not healthy yet and getting the vet minimum, might as well wait to see if a top contender comes knocking. I don't think we'll be in any rush either to fill our final roster spot - with Maker and Kieff able to play there, I might rather gamble on a young center plucked from the SL than on a oldhead like Gasol.


I have no interest in Noah or Gasol.

I don’t think Gasol has anything left.

There’s no real upside to Noah.

If we’re going the veteran route, is there a Center that commands respect and would be a good locker room presence? If not, I’d much prefer a younger player with upside that has potential to develop.

Noah and Gasol don’t really fit the bill.


Noah was pretty useful in Memphis actually. He wouldn't be terrible as a 4th big, but I don't think he'd have any interest as a 5th. If we moved Maker/Galloway package for an upgrade elsewhere we could do worse. I would have concerns about his party lifestyle infecting Griffin though. Detroit isn't NYC of course either.


His “party lifestyle” is part of the reason I’d have no interest.

Plus he had no outside shot and can’t shoot free throws.

The fact that he was so useless in NY with that huge contract and showed no effort to improve himself until he wanted another contract say a lot about his character. Keep him away at all costs!

I’d only want a veteran in the twilight of their career if they’re a high character individual.

With such limited minutes for a 5th big, I’d rather try and develop a young player.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,427
And1: 3,022
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1020 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:03 am

Prefer Pau over Noah if we're going for the veteran locker room presence.

Maybe he could help Thon, maybe not but at the minimum he's a good dude to have on the roster

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons