ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,288

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#161 » by CoP » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Last night was probably the best I've ever seen him play. Dude was amazing (yes, granted it's SL). If he keeps that up, he can be a starter.

When he's on, his BBIQ and court vision are unbelievable.

It's always been an issue of consistency with him, though.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#162 » by jfs1000d » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Gant wrote:Maybe Robert can play some power forward in big lineups.

He won’t stretch the floor. But is an excellent passer.

I really like him. Highly skilled, atherosclerosis and explosive. We’ll see if motor is good enough.

Grant Williams is a player. Edwards will be in the nba for 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#163 » by jfs1000d » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:07 pm

darrendaye wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
Even if we account for this theory, there surely are a number of things attributable to laziness that is cause for concern. His effort against Anton in college was undeniably awful on national tv. I'm pulling for him. He comes across as a good guy.

BTW, here's a page still available on the old Draftexpress site:http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robert-Williams-89995/
Curious write-up in the bottom section of the page. Suggesting he was a potential 3pt shooting big prospect.

He was a 2x SEC defensive player of the year, wasn't he? That's not usually something that goes to a lazy guy.

I'm not labeling him as lazy. But he does coast and does not yet focus on precision when it comes to positioning. He's immensely talented and tries to at least be a good teammate, that is how he earned those honors. Listen, I'm geeked about the future for this guy and give him the benefit of the doubt that he will push himself to be more consistently active and attentive in time. He showed out today with some phenomenal hustle plays. But there were surely areas for criticism as well.

My daughter plays like Williams. When she is not on the ball, or directly involved, she loses her activity level.

Williams, when he struggles, is moving and staying active off the ball. It is simply moving your feet off the ball and getting into better position.

When Williams is on ball, he is very active. His work rate slows off ball. That is a learned behavior to be active off ball.

Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#164 » by Tiny ball » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Floody100 wrote:If he can put on some muscle & get to that 250 pound mark he’s going to be a monster. He’s 6’10 & although probably unrealistic I’d love to see him grow a couple of inches & end up at 7’0.

250 would be ideal in 4 or 5 years. He has already health problems.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#165 » by KumaJG » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Some people been alittle too hard on Williams. Dude barely got any reps last year.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#166 » by tombattor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:31 pm

KumaJG wrote:Some people been alittle too hard on Williams. Dude barely got any reps last year.

Exactly. And he looks really good in SL. Like he doesn't belong there.
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,223

Post#167 » by Parasite » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Gant wrote:Maybe Robert can play some power forward in big lineups.

He won’t stretch the floor. But is an excellent passer.

I really like him. Highly skilled, atherosclerosis and explosive. We’ll see if motor is good enough.

Grant Williams is a player. Edwards will be in the nba for 10 years.

:o :o :o

Is this a diagnosis?
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#168 » by darrendaye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
My daughter plays like Williams. When she is not on the ball, or directly involved, she loses her activity level.

Williams, when he struggles, is moving and staying active off the ball. It is simply moving your feet off the ball and getting into better position.

When Williams is on ball, he is very active. His work rate slows off ball. That is a learned behavior to be active off ball.

This more directly defines the issue. He has more good plays than bad. And he makes a number of absolutely tremendous/eye popping plays. He thinks the game. He definitely isn't a guy you can label plays with no heart. But, exactly, he's kind of a step or so under committed to the spot he should be, at times, when off the ball. But he reacts quickly, and when he reacts he typically shows a sense of urgency to make the play. Sometimes tremendous effort plays. He has active hands and gets down to get the ball without hesitation. As with all young players it's about consistency (which is something the announcer last night mentioned). I haven't listen much to him speak, but thought he gave a really good interview after the game.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#169 » by ZeroTolerance » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 pm

I can't wait for the season to begin and Williams gets to work with the starting unit...Both Williams that is!

Bring on the kids!
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#170 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:13 pm

darrendaye wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

This more directly defines the issue. He has more good plays than bad. And he makes a number of absolutely tremendous/eye popping plays. He thinks the game. He definitely isn't a guy you can label plays with no heart. But, exactly, he's kind of a step or so under committed to the spot he should be, at times, when off the ball. But he reacts quickly, and when he reacts he typically shows a sense of urgency to make the play. Sometimes tremendous effort plays. He has active hands and gets down to get the ball without hesitation. As with all young players it's about consistency (which is something the announcer last night mentioned). I haven't listen much to him speak, but thought he gave a really good interview after the game.

He shows a Perk-like commitment to playing D, whatever it takes, and commitment to his team and teammates. I see him as becoming more and more vocal the longer he plays. But I don't think he had nearly the level of coaching growing up that a lot of guys coming into the league now had--particularly if they are second generation pro players--and that shows a bit. But it means more upside as he harnesses his talent more.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#171 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Gotta tell ya, last summer league game has me thinking more Siakam than Capela as a ceiling. He showed some skills handling the ball and some quick post up moves. Obviously, summer league, no 3-ball yet, etc, etc. But, I can see him playing alongside another big a few years down the road, if not some this year even.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by darrendaye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 pm

djFan71 wrote:Gotta tell ya, last summer league game has me thinking more Siakam than Capela as a ceiling. He showed some skills handling the ball and some quick post up moves. Obviously, summer league, no 3-ball yet, etc, etc. But, I can see him playing alongside another big a few years down the road, if not some this year even.

You can critique the 1st half because he had some significant lapses and produced around it, 2nd half he was mostly awesome.

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#173 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 pm

darrendaye wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Gotta tell ya, last summer league game has me thinking more Siakam than Capela as a ceiling. He showed some skills handling the ball and some quick post up moves. Obviously, summer league, no 3-ball yet, etc, etc. But, I can see him playing alongside another big a few years down the road, if not some this year even.

You can critique the 1st half because he had some significant lapses and produced around it, 2nd half he was mostly awesome.

I conveniently missed the first half. :)
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#174 » by Big Joke Line » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
It was presumably him diving to the floor so many times in the 2nd game that led to the hip contusion that kept him out last night.

I don't worry about him playing hard. I do agree that the C's coaching staff is likely not the best for teaching him the tricks in scoring down low.

He had a nice jump hook tonight.
Cool I read he had great game. My main internet has been down couple days. So using pocket WiFi and it is not working good. Not even seen the highlights of the game on YouTube yet. Love my life and time in Asia! God willing I will work out the bugs soon. Go Celtics!!

I had not been a big fan of what I had seen prior to last night. He seemed so easy to get off his feet on D and lost in space on O. Almost seemed like something clicked the last game and a half.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#175 » by Big Joke Line » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Floody100 wrote:If he can put on some muscle & get to that 250 pound mark he’s going to be a monster. He’s 6’10 & although probably unrealistic I’d love to see him grow a couple of inches & end up at 7’0.

My only other knock on him is to me he looks closer to 6’8” than 6’10”.
Hey Man, nice shot!
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#176 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Big Joke Line wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:

He's got a 7'6" wingspan and freak athleticism. a couple extra inches of forehead wouldn't make much difference.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by darrendaye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:10 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:250 would be ideal in 4 or 5 years. He has already health problems.

He's got a 7'6" wingspan and freak athleticism. a couple extra inches of forehead wouldn't make much difference.

Exactly, he got into the guy last night who, by my view, had a few inches on him. His long arms can mitigate the height issue, he just needs to learn to get into his man and it would help if he can retrain himself a bit and try to use his left hand to challenge more often and the awareness (through repetition) and film study of when it is best to use which one hand vs the other. Every inch counts.

ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,813

Post#178 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:24 am

Robert has become the youngin whom I'm most excited about. Even more than Tatum. Love how he plays... it's a matter of if he has passion for the game or not.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by darrendaye » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 am

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:Robert has become the youngin whom I'm most excited about. Even more than Tatum. Love how he plays... it's a matter of if he has passion for the game or not.
I'm pretty sure he does, I think there's sufficient evidence. As I wrote in other post, at the very least we can tell he's a genuinely good guy and at least would not want to let down his teammates. For him, it's a matter of accepting and embracing working on the little things. He's making a good effort to box out in the SL games. Still lapses, but you see the effort there.

I hope he continues to work on his perimeter shot to fully turn himself into an elite level player. I've hesitated throwing out this comparison for want of avoiding a wave of mockery, but I envision a Joakim Noah like player as the potential fit if his shot never comes around. Not going to cavalierly project him to Noah's level, just projecting fit based on baseline skill and modest development.

ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,813

Post#180 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:38 am

darrendaye wrote:
ThumbsUpBaby wrote:Robert has become the youngin whom I'm most excited about. Even more than Tatum. Love how he plays... it's a matter of if he has passion for the game or not.
I'm pretty sure he does, I think there's sufficient evidence. As I wrote in other post, at the very least we can tell he's a genuinely good guy and at least would not want to let down his teammates. For him, it's a matter of accepting and embracing working on the little things. He's making a good effort to box out in the SL games. Still lapses, but you see the effort there.

I hope he continues to work on his perimeter shot to fully turn himself into an elite level player. I've hesitated throwing out this comparison for want of avoiding a wave of mockery, but I envision a Joakim Noah like player as the potential fit if his shot never comes around. Not going to cavalierly project him to Noah's level, just projecting fit based on baseline skill and modest development.

I'd still take a Joakim Noah in a heartbeat, and if that's his floor then I think we're in good hands.

Return to Boston Celtics