ImageImageImage

NBA "Exhibit 10" Contracts Explained

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,788

NBA "Exhibit 10" Contracts Explained 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:45 pm

CBA EXPLAINED: EXHIBIT 10 CONTRACTS
BY AUSTIN KENT JUNE 21, 2019

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/cba-explained-exhibit-10-contracts/
Exhibit 10 attachments allow players to earn a bonus of $5,000 to $50,000 in the event that they are waived by the NBA team, then sign a deal with that franchise’s G League affiliate* and remain with that affiliate team for 60 days.

This bonus $5,000 – $50,000 bonus, which does not count against the NBA salary cap, is in addition to the G League salary the player would also collect in this particular scenario. If a player’s Exhibit 10 contract is converted to a two-way deal, the Exhibit 10 bonus converts to guaranteed salary.

NBA teams may have no more than six players with Exhibit 10 attachments in their contracts on their roster at any given time and these contracts may not be extended or renegotiated.

Fall's NBA Exhibit 10 contract explained
Michael Luciano 6/21/2019

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/falls-nba-exhibit-10-contract-explained/ar-AADeKlc
An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year deal worth the minimum salary that guarantees the player will receive a camp invite. Fall, for instance, can either have his Exhibit 10 converted into a two-way contract, or will be waived.

If he is waived, the player will be offered $50,000 to sign with the G League affiliate of whomever waved them. Provided he stays on the roster for 60 days, he will earn that $50,000 bonus. The Exhibit 10 contract was created to incentivize players to stay in the G League as opposed to going abroad.

A team can’t carry more than six Exhibit 10 contracts at a time, and an Exhibit 10 contract can only be converted to a two-way deal before the regular season begins.

Even though an Exhibit 10 contract that gets converted to a two-way deal can later also turn into a standard NBA contract, it won't count against an NBA team's salary cap.

83. Can a Two-Way player be converted to a regular NBA player? Can a regular NBA player be converted to a Two-Way player? What is Exhibit 10?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q83
Other rules related to Exhibit 10:

A team can have no more than six contracts that contain an Exhibit 10 in effect at any time.
A contract must be converted to a Two-Way contract prior to the start of the regular season (including during the July Moratorium).
A contract can have both an Exhibit 9 (limiting the team's liability in the event he is injured (see question number 70) and an Exhibit 10. If the contract is converted to a Two-Way contract, the Exhibit 9 becomes null and void.
A standard NBA contract with an Exhibit 10 that is converted to a Two-Way contract can later be converted back to a standard NBA contract.
If a second round draft pick signs his required tender (a contract offer the team submits in order to retain the player's draft rights) and is later waived, that team is the only team that can convert the player to a Two-Way player for the remainder of that season.
Exhibit 10 bonuses are not counted as Team Salary (see question number 13), but they are included in league-wide total salaries (see question number 15).
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,965

Re: NBA "Exhibit 10" Contracts Explained 

Post#2 » by darrendaye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 pm

Has it been established that the team still has the option to skip the step of officially signing a 2-way contract? My guess is they might have to logistically waive him and sign him into space if they wanted to sign him to a straight pro contract. Am I off here?
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#3 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 am

darrendaye wrote:Has it been established that the team still has the option to skip the step of officially signing a 2-way contract? My guess is they might have to logistically waive him and sign him into space if they wanted to sign him to a straight pro contract. Am I off here?

That sounds about right. If they go that route. Which in Tacko's case, they could and should.
Strus is starting to look interesting to me too, though. I wonder why he went for a Two-Way?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,965

Post#4 » by darrendaye » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:15 am

Parliament10 wrote:
darrendaye wrote:Has it been established that the team still has the option to skip the step of officially signing a 2-way contract? My guess is they might have to logistically waive him and sign him into space if they wanted to sign him to a straight pro contract. Am I off here?

That sounds about right. If they go that route. Which in Tacko's case, they could and should.
Strus is starting to look interesting to me too, though. I wonder why he went for a Two-Way?

Big step up in competition. He looks like he can play but is going to have to learn his limits too. Right now there are a lot of things that he can do "a bit". He's going to have to shoot the 3 better than a bit. But if he plays within himself and connect in the 40% range from 3 he can definitely stick in the league. He can be an adequate defender and he pursues rebounds, among other traits he provides like off ball movement. But back on topic, lol, thanks for affirming my thoughts here.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#5 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:23 pm

darrendaye wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Big step up in competition. He looks like he can play but is going to have to learn his limits too. Right now there are a lot of things that he can do "a bit". He's going to have to shoot the 3 better than a bit. But if he plays within himself and connect in the 40% range from 3 he can definitely stick in the league. He can be an adequate defender and he pursues rebounds, among other traits he provides like off ball movement. But back on topic, lol, thanks for affirming my thoughts here.

I see him as an NBA-level contributor without necessarily becoming a 40% 3pt shooter.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Post#6 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:48 pm

That's not the way I read it.

I think currently it is a 1 year non guaranteed minimum NBA contract. Technically the 15th guy on the roster. If he makes the 15 man roster that stands, nothing else to do. Just like traditional camp contracts for guys like Brandon Wallace who briefly made the 07-08 roster.

If not, the exhibit 10 attachment means it could also be converted to a 2 way contract, or if he gets cut and signs with Maine he gets a signing bonus.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#7 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:26 pm

chakdaddy wrote:

I think currently it is a 1 year non guaranteed minimum NBA contract. Technically the 15th guy on the roster. If he makes the 15 man roster that stands, nothing else to do. Just like traditional camp contracts for guys like Brandon Wallace who briefly made the 07-08 roster.

If not, the exhibit 10 attachment means it could also be converted to a 2 way contract, or if he gets cut and signs with Maine he gets a signing bonus.

This is way off-base. Read the OP.
Exhibit 10's last until the end of Training Camp.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

Are you sure? This is what I got from the original post and links:
"An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year, minimum salary NBA contract with a specific Exhibit 10 attachment built into it and no other bonuses."

Seems like the real misconception is that Exhibit 10 is a specific training camp contract as opposed to a clause in a normal nonguaranteed 1 year minimum contract. I think Exhibit 10 is just the provisions in that contract allow it to downgrade to a 2-way contract, or to give a 50k signing bonus for a D league contract. If we want him to take roster spot 15, we just don't cut him or downgrade to 2 way.

Of course, the usual outcome for nonguaranteed minimum contract is to get cut after training camp - but I don't think that's the definition to the contract, regardless of Exhibit 10 attachment.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

I'm pretty confident on my interpretation on reading it. It wouldn't be described as a "one year contract" if it ended at training camp.

I think the confusion is everyone assumes that someone with an Exhibit 10 contract will at best get a 2 way contract, and most likely get waived and sign to the D-league with an Exhibit 10 bonus. But that doesn't exclude the rare possibility that the player make the 15 man roster and the exhibit 10 attachment options never come into play.

I think that's part of the reason we won't get any definitive news on Tacko - there is no transaction needed to put him on the 15 man roster - just leave the contract as it is without waiving or converting to 2 way.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#10 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:05 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

"An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year, minimum salary NBA contract with a specific Exhibit 10 attachment built into it and no other bonuses."

Seems like the real misconception is that Exhibit 10 is a specific training camp contract as opposed to a clause in a normal nonguaranteed 1 year minimum contract. I think Exhibit 10 is just the provisions in that contract allow it to downgrade to a 2-way contract, or to give a 50k signing bonus for a D league contract. If we want him to take roster spot 15, we just don't cut him or downgrade to 2 way.

Of course, the usual outcome for nonguaranteed minimum contract is to get cut after training camp - but I don't think that's the definition to the contract, regardless of Exhibit 10 attachment.

It does get confusing. -- Cause for me, the "one-year" wording throws me off.
(P.S.: The Writers probably can't even fully explain it. :lol: )

A contract must be converted to a Two-Way contract prior to the start of the regular season (including during the July Moratorium)....

A standard NBA contract with an Exhibit 10 that is converted to a Two-Way contract can later be converted back to a standard NBA contract.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by chakdaddy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:This is way off-base. Read the OP.

A contract must be converted to a Two-Way contract prior to the start of the regular season (including during the July Moratorium)....

I interpret that as meaning if he makes the 15 man roster and the regular season starts, there's no way to downgrade it to 2 way anymore - he'd have to be waived. This is a reason to make it a 2 way for flexibility , since any 2 way can later be converted to NBA contract.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,217

Post#12 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

I interpret that as meaning if he makes the 15 man roster and the regular season starts, there's no way to downgrade it to 2 way anymore - he'd have to be waived. This is a reason to make it a 2 way for flexibility , since any 2 way can later be converted to NBA contract.

I finally dug in and agree with chakdaddy. Semantically, there isn't a separate "Exhibit 10 contract" - it's a standard min contract with the "Exhibit 10 attachment". The part quoted earlier, with my bold:

If a standard NBA contract includes an attachment called Exhibit 10, the team receives the right to convert the contract to a Two-Way contract.

Tacko signed a min contract.
Cs have the right to convert it to a 2-way if they want, due to the Exhibit 10 attachment. But they don't HAVE to.
Cs have to decide before start of the regular season if they do that or not.
If we waive him, he gets the $5-50k bonus. But we're still the only team that can give him a two-way during the season.

I assume other teams are free to sign him to a full contract if we waive him, but I don't see that specified.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#13 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 pm

djFan71 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:It does get confusing. -- Cause for me, the "one-year" wording throws me off.

I finally dug in and agree with chakdaddy. Semantically, there isn't a separate "Exhibit 10 contract" - it's a standard min contract with the "Exhibit 10 attachment". The part quoted earlier, with my bold:

If a standard NBA contract includes an attachment called Exhibit 10, the team receives the right to convert the contract to a Two-Way contract.

Cs have the right to convert it to a 2-way if they want, due to the Exhibit 10 attachment. But they don't HAVE to.
If we waive him, he gets the $5-50k bonus. But we're still the only team that can give him a two-way during the season.

I assume other teams are free to sign him to a full contract if we waive him, but I don't see that specified.

I think that's all still in line with what's been said. Right?

1. They could just Waive Tacko.
--- In which case, he could go to Maine Red Claws, or another Team could sign him.
2. Exhibit 10 -- Could become a Two-Way. Which in turn, could later become a Regular NBA Contract.
3. Exhibit 10 -- Could become a Regular NBA Contract, if not waived.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:21 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

--- In which case, he could go to Maine Red Claws, or another Team could sign him.
2. Exhibit 10 -- Could become a Two-Way. Which in turn, could later become a Regular NBA Contract.

No, I think the difference is semantic, but real.

#3 is incorrect. It already IS a regular NBA contract.
If we do nothing (no conversion to two-way, no waiving), he is currently signed to a minimum contract for the upcoming season. We don't have to do anything to keep him. He's under contract. That's how I read it.

#1 applies to any contract. But the additional bit of the Exhibit 10 is nobody else can 2-way him this season if we do waive him. As I said, I think they can sign him to a full contract, but I'm not positive on that.

2. Yep, that's the additional option that Exhibit 10 adds to the standard contract - the ability to convert it if we want.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#15 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I finally dug in and agree with chakdaddy. Semantically, there isn't a separate "Exhibit 10 contract" - it's a standard min contract with the "Exhibit 10 attachment". The part quoted earlier, with my bold:

If we do nothing (no conversion to two-way, no waiving), he is currently signed to a minimum contract for the upcoming season. We don't have to do anything to keep him. He's under contract. That's how I read it.

#1 applies to any contract. But the additional bit of the Exhibit 10 is nobody else can 2-way him this season if we do waive him. As I said, I think they can sign him to a full contract, but I'm not positive on that.

2. Yep, that's the additional option that Exhibit 10 adds to the standard contract - the ability to convert it if we want.

Oh OK. I see what you guys are saying.
An Exhibit 10, already is a Minimum Contract.

Hmmm. Well we'll see how it plays out. That would be great if Tacko does become our 15th player.
So, Javonte Green is just on a Minimum, non-guaranteed?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:38 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I think that's all still in line with what's been said. Right?

Oh OK. I see what you guys are saying.
An Exhibit 10, already is a Minimum Contract.

Hmmm. Well we'll see how it plays out. That would be great if Tacko does become our 15th player.
So, Javonte Green is just on a Minimum, non-guaranteed?

Yep on Exhibit 10 - at least the way we're reading it... :D
If some super-intriguing need for the 15th spot comes about (before the season starts), we can always 2-way Tacko to keep him (assuming we waive Waters or Strus), but if not, he's #15 - or waived.

On Javonte, I assume that's the case, but I'm not sure we've seen official terms.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#17 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:14 am

Read on Twitter
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,383

Post#18 » by Triple7 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:21 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like the 15th spot is almost a lock for tacko. He seemed confident. :D
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#19 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:34 am

Triple7 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm just glad that is the goal and target. He really seems already embraced by everyone around the C's (except maybe Brad...).
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,383

Post#20 » by Triple7 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm just glad that is the goal and target. He really seems already embraced by everyone around the C's (except maybe Brad...).

Yup i kinda get that feeling too. I was pissed at brad last season for not giving R.Will the burn when baynes was out. We could have used him in the playoffs defending against giannis. I sense he’s just not fond of developing young bigs. Lets see what he does this season. Plus imagine the backlash from fans if we let Tacko go. :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics