The Newer-est Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,753

The Newer-est Video Game Thread 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Gotta keep threads under 100 pages for some technical reasons, so push that E3 and 2k discussion into here.

Discussion continued from this thread....
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1095157&start=2140#p74063725
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,221

Re: The Newer-est Video Game Thread 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Man early 2020 is going to be absolutely stacked. That's looking better than Holiday 2019.

For anyone that plays Xbox games on Xbox or PC the current promotion they got going with game pass is incredible. For 1 dollar you can upgrade to Gamepass Ultimate for a month. The key is that it takes whatever months you have left of Xbox Live and whatever months you have of gamepass, and add's them together before they give you an additional month.

So if you have 10 months of Live left and 3 months of game pass left. You will get 10+3+1=14 months of Live and game pass.

That means if you have only live and not gamepass, for 1 dollar you can get gamepass for the duration of your live account.

Last night I re upped my live that is about to expire. I think used some reward points to get another 12 months of live. I added that to a 3 month trial and my 3 months of gamepass. Now I am set until 2022.

You can go up to 36 months. It's a really good deal.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#3 » by Calinks » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:07 am

Big fan of Watchdogs!

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#4 » by shangrila » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 am

Calinks wrote:Big fan of Watchdogs!

Sounds interesting. Seems like they won't have a main player character, instead letting you recruit NPCs to play as. Reminds me of the State of Decay games a little.

They have to be careful with that though because what can end up happening is that you don't wind up caring about the characters, they're literally just their stats/profiles. At least that's what was happening with SoD for me. Like, you can have a guy named Frank with a background in chemical engineering who had a troubled history with drugs but all you end up seeing is a guy who can craft stuff faster and maybe steals some of your meds every now and then. And then Frank dies, I find Mary who was also a chemical engineer but didn't have drug problems and I forget all about Frank (and I probably didn't remember his name to begin with).
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#5 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:19 pm

I am surprised they make more watchdogs, I thought this franchise was a huge disappointment so far?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#6 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:23 pm

I just reached the end of my FIFA 18 career mode, took me by surprise, I heard it finishes after 15 seasons, but still. I was getting tired of it and was thinking of picking up FIFA 20 when its comes out (skipped FIFA 19).

I am one of those rare sports gamers, who only play singleplayer, couldnt care less about ultimate team. I have spent 710 hours loading up FIFA, and I only made past ultimate team tutorial game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#7 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:35 pm

UcanUwill wrote: I am one of those rare sports gamers, who only play singleplayer, couldnt care less about ultimate team. I have spent 710 hours loading up FIFA, and I only made past ultimate team tutorial game.

I'm right there with ya. I rarely play with others, either local or online
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Klomp wrote:
UcanUwill wrote: I am one of those rare sports gamers, who only play singleplayer, couldnt care less about ultimate team. I have spent 710 hours loading up FIFA, and I only made past ultimate team tutorial game.

when I was early teen, I loved online, but later in life I developed strong social phobia and i just cant play online. I love the idea, but I have an anxiety, plain and simple. I bought Battlefield 1 in naive thought that I might conquer my fear of online, but I probably played less than an hour of it.
Right now i spend days playing Civ V, Xcom 2 and Horizon zero dawn. As usual for me, I play hardest difficulty of Horizon, because I am masochist, and man, early game it was hard, i thought it will be unplayable, but it got better, that game is pretty good.

I absolutely love Divinity original sin 2, but I am stuck, its too hard, and I refuse to lower the difficulty. That game is literally D & D thevideo game. All D & D mechanics are in the game, so if you like that, I recommend it very much. But the game is killer DM, on second hardest difficulty that game is BRUTAL. By the way I never played actual D & D game, but I familiar with it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 pm

I only really play sports games like 2k, and find other users just quit if they get down big so why waste my time
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:54 am

Last night, I set the single-game record for steals with 12. I'm a 6'5" PG with a 3/D skillset, 77 ovr. I'm on the Lakers in my rookie year, and we're something like 52-4 right now. Might be time to bump up the difficulty?

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#11 » by Calinks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:25 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Klomp wrote:

when I was early teen, I loved online, but later in life I developed strong social phobia and i just cant play online. I love the idea, but I have an anxiety, plain and simple. I bought Battlefield 1 in naive thought that I might conquer my fear of online, but I probably played less than an hour of it.
Right now i spend days playing Civ V, Xcom 2 and Horizon zero dawn. As usual for me, I play hardest difficulty of Horizon, because I am masochist, and man, early game it was hard, i thought it will be unplayable, but it got better, that game is pretty good.

I absolutely love Divinity original sin 2, but I am stuck, its too hard, and I refuse to lower the difficulty. That game is literally D & D thevideo game. All D & D mechanics are in the game, so if you like that, I recommend it very much. But the game is killer DM, on second hardest difficulty that game is BRUTAL. By the way I never played actual D & D game, but I familiar with it.

Interesting you say that! Playing it right now with a buddy in co-op. We beat the first game after a year plus of playing and now this one. It's crazy how you can play a deep game like this these days in co-op online.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Klomp wrote:Last night, I set the single-game record for steals with 12. I'm a 6'5" PG with a 3/D skillset, 77 ovr. I'm on the Lakers in my rookie year, and we're something like 52-4 right now. Might be time to bump up the difficulty?

Correction: My latest win improved us to 57-3.

Varejao17
Rookie
And1: 165

Post#13 » by Varejao17 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:26 pm

I played a lot more sports games (fifa and nba 2k) than I play now, and the main reason is theyre always trying to make you buy coins and stuffs like that, the game itself is already very very expensive here in Brasil. I bought FIFA 19 and NBA 2k19 but only played once . Im not a fan of playing online. I’m an RPG fan, so I play The Witcher 3 and Skyrim a lot. Just finished Bloodborne (VERY HARD GAME) and decided to give Dark Souls a run.
props to C.lupus
shangrila
RealGM

Post#14 » by shangrila » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:58 am

Varejao17 wrote:I played a lot more sports games (fifa and nba 2k) than I play now, and the main reason is theyre always trying to make you buy coins and stuffs like that, the game itself is already very very expensive here in Brasil. I bought FIFA 19 and NBA 2k19 but only played once . Im not a fan of playing online. I’m an RPG fan, so I play The Witcher 3 and Skyrim a lot. Just finished Bloodborne (VERY HARD GAME) and decided to give Dark Souls a run.

Sekiro is a game you might like in that case. Same developer as Dark Souls/Bloodbourne but stylistically very different (still difficult, much more about parrying than dodging (Bloodbourne) or blocking (Dark Souls)). Took me a while to get into it, especially coming from Souls games, but it's almost my favourite out of the whole lot (almost, because that final boss is BS).
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#15 » by Varejao17 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:28 am

shangrila wrote:Sekiro is a game you might like in that case. Same developer as Dark Souls/Bloodbourne but stylistically very different (still difficult, much more about parrying than dodging (Bloodbourne) or blocking (Dark Souls)). Took me a while to get into it, especially coming from Souls games, but it's almost my favourite out of the whole lot (almost, because that final boss is BS).

M
Got it, sir. Is it Harder than Bloodborne? I feel like Bloodborne was the biggest difficulty I can handle, it took me a while to get used to block istead of dodge, but IMO the bosses from Dark Souls are easier than the Bloodborne bosses, Gehrman is a real pain in the a**... I didnt give Sekiro a shot cause I watched a video of several players breaking the disc out of anger... lol
props to C.lupus
shangrila
RealGM

Post#16 » by shangrila » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 am

Varejao17 wrote:
shangrila wrote:Sekiro is a game you might like in that case. Same developer as Dark Souls/Bloodbourne but stylistically very different (still difficult, much more about parrying than dodging (Bloodbourne) or blocking (Dark Souls)). Took me a while to get into it, especially coming from Souls games, but it's almost my favourite out of the whole lot (almost, because that final boss is BS).

M
Got it, sir. Is it Harder than Bloodborne? I feel like Bloodborne was the biggest difficulty I can handle, it took me a while to get used to block istead of dodge, but IMO the bosses from Dark Souls are easier than the Bloodborne bosses, Gehrman is a real pain in the a**... I didnt give Sekiro a shot cause I watched a video of several players breaking the disc out of anger... lol

Harder? Uh, I'm not sure honestly. I think it's different, which threw me and I'm guessing a lot of others off (I spent the early game trying to dodge enemy attacks and getting wrecked, you really have to embrace the parrying mechanic), although now that I think about it it probably is less lenient.

In terms of bosses you really need to learn their attack patterns and then execute PERFECTLY, because unlike Souls games you can't really level up. You do get items to increase your attack power and health, but they come from bosses or certain areas of the game and not from general enemies. This means if you get stuck...you're kind of screwed, since you can't just farm low level enemies for souls and then level up a bit. But if you keep at it, and maybe watch a youtube guide or two, then beating those bosses were some of the most satisfying moments I've ever had in video gaming.

Honestly, it's not a game for everyone and I'd recommend playing through all 3 of the Souls games first. But if you like them and find yourself wanting more, I'd definitely say you should give Sekiro a shot.
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#17 » by Varejao17 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:38 am

shangrila wrote:Harder? Uh, I'm not sure honestly. I think it's different, which threw me and I'm guessing a lot of others off (I spent the early game trying to dodge enemy attacks and getting wrecked, you really have to embrace the parrying mechanic), although now that I think about it it probably is less lenient.

In terms of bosses you really need to learn their attack patterns and then execute PERFECTLY, because unlike Souls games you can't really level up. You do get items to increase your attack power and health, but they come from bosses or certain areas of the game and not from general enemies. This means if you get stuck...you're kind of screwed, since you can't just farm low level enemies for souls and then level up a bit. But if you keep at it, and maybe watch a youtube guide or two, then beating those bosses were some of the most satisfying moments I've ever had in video gaming.

Honestly, it's not a game for everyone and I'd recommend playing through all 3 of the Souls games first. But if you like them and find yourself wanting more, I'd definitely say you should give Sekiro a shot.

I’ll play all 3 Souls game first and then play Sekiro, it’ll be cheapier then, two birds with one stone.

Thank you sir.

I played some Ni Oh and hated it.
props to C.lupus
shangrila
RealGM

Post#18 » by shangrila » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:58 am

Varejao17 wrote:
shangrila wrote:Harder? Uh, I'm not sure honestly. I think it's different, which threw me and I'm guessing a lot of others off (I spent the early game trying to dodge enemy attacks and getting wrecked, you really have to embrace the parrying mechanic), although now that I think about it it probably is less lenient.

I’ll play all 3 Souls game first and then play Sekiro, it’ll be cheapier then, two birds with one stone.

Thank you sir.

I played some Ni Oh and hated it.

Yeah, that was a weird one. I expected that I'd like it but despite putting some hours into it I just couldn't really get into it. I do wonder, now that I think of it, if it was kind of like Sekiro where you have to kind of throw yourself into the mechanics. I do remember it had some new stuff, like you had to hit a button inside a circle after damaging an enemy to regain health, and that I largely ignored it because it wasn't THAT different from the regular Souls games that I HAD to use those mechanics.

Which actually brings me to another recommendation; The Surge. Souls-like, much more average than those games but still decent. I gave up in the end game because it was wearing on me but I think, again, it was mainly because I didn't embrace or learn the mechanics properly (I remember it had different kinds of dodges for different attacks, so you had to figure out whether it was e.g. an overhead swing or like a leg sweep and dodge accordingly. I think I just went with a tank build and tanked those hits early to mid-game haha, but that obviously doesn't work in the end game).

That one has been out for a while at this point, so it will also be cheap if you ever get around to it (it also has DLC so you can get some bonus content with a deluxe edition, which would probably be just as cheap as the game on its own at that point). It's also got a sequel coming out some time in the next year, might be something to keep an eye on. Though it does have a different aesthetic, instead of medieval/victorian/warring states japanese fantasy The Surge is an industrial near future sci-fi.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#19 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:52 am

Varejao17 wrote:I played a lot more sports games (fifa and nba 2k) than I play now, and the main reason is theyre always trying to make you buy coins and stuffs like that, the game itself is already very very expensive here in Brasil. I bought FIFA 19 and NBA 2k19 but only played once . Im not a fan of playing online. I’m an RPG fan, so I play The Witcher 3 and Skyrim a lot. Just finished Bloodborne (VERY HARD GAME) and decided to give Dark Souls a run.

I love Witcher 3, probably best game ever made. I tried Skyrim many times, but I always end up hating it, I just love idea of loving it, as there are many mecahnics I love, but I cant overlook that game's shortcomings.
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#20 » by Varejao17 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

I love Witcher 3, probably best game ever made. I tried Skyrim many times, but I always end up hating it, I just love idea of loving it, as there are many mecahnics I love, but I cant overlook that game's shortcomings.

I agree with you on what you said about Witcher 3, but Skyrim is a masterpiece sir, I played it on PS3, PS4 and Switch, of course it have its flaws due its age, but it’s a huge free game, as free as they come. Can’t wait for Elder Scrolls VI.
props to C.lupus

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves