ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,675

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#181 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:23 am

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
ThumbsUpBaby wrote:Robert has become the youngin whom I'm most excited about. Even more than Tatum. Love how he plays... it's a matter of if he has passion for the game or not.
I'm pretty sure he does, I think there's sufficient evidence. As I wrote in other post, at the very least we can tell he's a genuinely good guy and at least would not want to let down his teammates. For him, it's a matter of accepting and embracing working on the little things. He's making a good effort to box out in the SL games. Still lapses, but you see the effort there.

I hope he continues to work on his perimeter shot to fully turn himself into an elite level player. I've hesitated throwing out this comparison for want of avoiding a wave of mockery, but I envision a Joakim Noah like player as the potential fit if his shot never comes around. Not going to cavalierly project him to Noah's level, just projecting fit based on baseline skill and modest development.

I'd still take a Joakim Noah in a heartbeat, and if that's his floor then I think we're in good hands.

I doubt he'll ever display anything like a Joakim Noah personality. Noah is the son of two celebrities, and turned out to be yet more of a charismatic leader than that would suggest.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#182 » by greenroom31 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:23 am

jfs1000d wrote:My daughter plays like Williams. When she is not on the ball, or directly involved, she loses her activity level.

Williams, when he struggles, is moving and staying active off the ball. It is simply moving your feet off the ball and getting into better position.

When Williams is on ball, he is very active. His work rate slows off ball. That is a learned behavior to be active off the

Oh really? Your daughter plays at the top level of one of the most competitive sports in the world? She can dunk with her forehead? She has blocked multiple shots by AD in a single game? If so, congrats on her amazing skills!

Otherwise kindly shut the **** up with your horrendous comparison based on your ill conceived perception that RWIII doesn’t “try hard”.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#184 » by OldCeltics » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:52 am

Robert Williams has the most upside after Tatum and Brown

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#185 » by darrendaye » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 am

cloverleaf wrote:https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/07/12/gifted-celtic-robert-williams-remains-work-progress/m0yzLwQs2E3Cob6lTeNv3O/story.html

Great article, really great quotes in there from the guy.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#186 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:59 am

darrendaye wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/07/12/gifted-celtic-robert-williams-remains-work-progress/m0yzLwQs2E3Cob6lTeNv3O/story.html

Yep. It sounds like he finally has a solid, basic -- albeit surely missing many details -- knowledge of what it is he doesn't know.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#187 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am

OldCeltics wrote:Robert Williams has the most upside after Tatum and Brown

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Seems so.
Though this year, with all these Rookies, there's a ton of upside to go around.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Post#188 » by Homerclease » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:39 am

Reload has said time and time again that Williams is an extremely hard worker and is really striving to improve. I don’t have to vouch for how legit reload is, why do people still think RW is lazy?
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#189 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:28 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
darrendaye wrote:

Yep. It sounds like he finally has a solid, basic -- albeit surely missing many details -- knowledge of what it is he doesn't know.

Who says he hasn't understood before? He has always been humble about needing to improve on "everything" and was praised for being a quick learner from as soon as he got here. I really don't get why people have made him their catch-all whipping boy.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#190 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 am

ZeroTolerance wrote:I can't wait for the season to begin and Williams gets to work with the starting unit...Both Williams that is!

Bring on the kids!

Wouldn't that be something--if both Billy Boys actually won starting roles. (No, the rook is pretty much guaranteed to come off the bench, I think.)
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#191 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 am

greenroom31 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:My daughter plays like Williams. When she is not on the ball, or directly involved, she loses her activity level.

Williams, when he struggles, is moving and staying active off the ball. It is simply moving your feet off the ball and getting into better position.

When Williams is on ball, he is very active. His work rate slows off ball. That is a learned behavior to be active off the

Oh really? Your daughter plays at the top level of one of the most competitive sports in the world? She can dunk with her forehead? She has blocked multiple shots by AD in a single game? If so, congrats on her amazing skills!

Otherwise kindly shut the **** up with your horrendous comparison based on your ill conceived perception that RWIII doesn’t “try hard”.

Jfs's daughter actually has a 47" vert, so who's laughing now?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#193 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:01 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
darrendaye wrote:

Who says he hasn't understood before? He has always been humble about needing to improve on "everything" and was praised for being a quick learner from as soon as he got here. I really don't get why people have made him their catch-all whipping boy.

All except the most obnoxiously conceited young athletes will say that they need to work on all aspects of their games, do whatever the coaches want them to do, fill whatever role is asked of them, etc., etc. Them saying that hardly counts as information. So it's hunches and tea leaves if we want to form opinions as to whether they're really working effectively on the right stuff.

One data point for me -- the reporting that the team worked with Williams right after the season to change his approach to nutrition and fitness ... which suggests that, during the season, these things needed changes they weren't getting.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#194 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:07 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

All except the most obnoxiously conceited young athletes will say that they need to work on all aspects of their games, do whatever the coaches want them to do, fill whatever role is asked of them, etc., etc. Them saying that hardly counts as information. So it's hunches and tea leaves if we want to form opinions as to whether they're really working effectively on the right stuff.

One data point for me -- the reporting that the team worked with Williams right after the season to change his approach to nutrition and fitness ... which suggests that, during the season, these things needed changes they weren't getting.

Which leaves you really with nothing to point toward him just now "finally (having) a solid, basic -- albeit surely missing many details -- knowledge of what it is he doesn't know."

Players work on and change their diets for years in this league. Having that be something they work with him on 10 months into his pro career in no way suggests he has had no understanding of "what he doesn't know".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#195 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Which leaves you really with nothing to point toward him just now "finally (having) a solid, basic -- albeit surely missing many details -- knowledge of what it is he doesn't know."

Players work on and change their diets for years in this league. Having that be something they work with him on 10 months into his pro career in no way suggests he has had no understanding of "what he doesn't know".

Taken alone, it's stronger evidence for my point than I've ever seen you cite for your views of Jaylen Brown's personality or character. At least, that's my opinion, with which I presume you disagree. Just as I don't attack you for what I judge as the thinness of your arguments berating the young man, but either argue the point directly or just let it go, I don't think you need to be making a major fuss here about my chain of reasoning. If you disagree, and think Williams has "gotten it" all along, then please explain why, or just state your opinion without support (certainly your right on a message board) and move on.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Post#196 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:25 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:I can't wait for the season to begin and Williams gets to work with the starting unit...Both Williams that is!

Bring on the kids!

Wouldn't that be something--if both Billy Boys actually won starting roles. (No, the rook is pretty much guaranteed to come off the bench, I think.)

I can see both becoming at least 6th-Men types.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#197 » by Tiny ball » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:40 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

I love the Celtics. But managements for it seems decades are behind the curve. I remember reading Rondo eating at McDonald's before finals game? I know I'm thinking back decades so can't remember if it is true? Is it old boy thing you been here for decades so not want to replace people? That's fine for Tommy but till this last draft and the players we see in Summer league I was flat out saying they need to all go. I shut up about that right after this draft. Maybe some people are learning how to do their jobs?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#198 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Bring on the kids!

I can see both becoming at least 6th-Men types.

I think Rob is a starter in the (hopefully near) future, not ready to quite go with that for Grant. But yeah, I could see him as a 6th man.
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#199 » by PtruthP34 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I love the Celtics. But managements for it seems decades are behind the curve. I remember reading Rondo eating at McDonald's before finals game? I know I'm thinking back decades so can't remember if it is true? Is it old boy thing you been here for decades so not want to replace people? That's fine for Tommy but till this last draft and the players we see in Summer league I was flat out saying they need to all go. I shut up about that right after this draft. Maybe some people are learning how to do their jobs?

They've had a team nutritionist on staff for a long time - even back then. AFAIK they do everything they can to provide the highest quality food to players any opportunity they can - flights, locker room, practice facility, etc. They can't control the players' eating habits away from the team (outside of Sully-esque weight clauses).

Celtics have always been way ahead of the curve with things like analytics, diet, sleep, and leveraging cutting edge tech whenever possible.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#200 » by Tiny ball » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:05 pm

PtruthP34 wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:

They've had a team nutritionist on staff for a long time - even back then. AFAIK they do everything they can to provide the highest quality food to players any opportunity they can - flights, locker room, practice facility, etc. They can't control the players' eating habits away from the team (outside of Sully-esque weight clauses).

Celtics have always been way ahead of the curve with things like analytics, diet, sleep, and leveraging cutting edge tech whenever possible.
Ok. I don't see results at a level I would even consider compedent. Bet anything they don't have holistic Doctor or no one on the staff has ever used the mushroom of immortality "Reishi" stop a flu or cold from happening? You know something that has worked for thousand years.
Primitive western medicine I would guess is the norm in the NBA? You draft the future of your franchise and don't send couple body guards coaches to watch over him? City of Boston for many is crazy driving you don't send limousines for every player that wants ride back and forth to games? Paul Pierce got shot up at night club. Where was his security team?

Return to Boston Celtics