ImageImageImage

Last roster spot who is it going to be? Prediction time.

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Re: Last roster spot who is it going to be? Prediction time. 

Post#21 » by turcorox911 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:43 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:I'm gonna say we will acquire someone through trade but no idea who yet :D

And that trade will probably open up other roster spots, so hopefully some of these guys stay put.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#22 » by Darren » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:43 am

As Oubre is gone, I expect it's either Diallo or Kostas.

I consider Kostas a part of the long-term plan. In a tall lineup, Kostas could play 3 in a zone defense situation. In a small ball running lineup, Kostas is perfectly fine playing 5. Kostas could boost defense and rebounding with 1st unit. Kostas could also play 4 with Zinger around. It's not bad to have one-on-one practice with Zinger and Luka. I think it's about time to get Kostas on Mavs roster. Kostas won't be able to operate from corner as a Legend. This may actually stun the development of Kostas who operates from the top of the key most of the time as a Legend. On Mavs roster, Kostas may learn the Aminu or Marion's role operating from corner, making backdoor cuts, hitting corner 3, providing energy and running fastbreak at times. As the Mavs is not desperate for a playoff run. I could see Kostas making the team and try out on Step Curry or Ben Simmons on defensive end.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#23 » by bobsquad » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 am

Man, I hope it's not Kostas. His game is, at a minimum, two years away from being even back-end bench worthy. That video gives me even more questions... narrator says he projects as a "traditional big man"? He projects to be destroyed by NBA big men!
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#24 » by bran muffin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 am

The last roster spot will go to whichever player is eventually traded into the TPE. So until that trade happens, I expect the Mavs will keep that 15th spot open.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#25 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:58 am

bobsquad wrote:Man, I hope it's not Kostas. His game is, at a minimum, two years away from being even back-end bench worthy. That video gives me even more questions... narrator says he projects as a "traditional big man"? He projects to be destroyed by NBA big men!

ye sadly i agree with this.. as much as I like kostas I think he is just very far from being productive. Im guessing if his last name isnt antetokounmpo most people wouldnt even notice him. he is almost 22 yrs old and has a very underdeveloped body. I think theres a misconception about what the warriors started a few years ago about small ball, it refers to skill set and not weight necessarily. If you look at it Draymond Green(who played C) is 250-260lbs, Barnes/Iguodala 230-240. Those guys gave up height but not strength and muscle. Kostas is only 200-210lbs.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#26 » by burek3 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 am

I would get Reaves in and leave Roby and Kostas on two-ways. Drop Macon.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
Darren
RealGM

Post#27 » by Darren » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:01 pm

People are overreacting, the 14th or 15th players are technically practice players for insurance. I know Kostas is not ready on court. But it's much better practicing with real Mavs team and prepare for actual role to have on Mavs roster. Even if Kostas is 2 yeats away, what's the big deal? Technically, the amount spent is the same, players on veteran minimum for a few years won't hurt the team anyway. I don't want to pair Kostas with Roby. The frontcourt is ageing, Bohan 29, Powell 28, Kleber 27. Having another young legs waiting for opportunities does hurt. With Kostas around, the team leaders can practice offense with one of the longest defenders with quick feet. With Kostas around, the coach can practice a little more diversity of strategy. What's not to like? Andrei Kirilenko has similar physical attribute, but AK is starter right away. I don't think 210 lbs is the reason for opposing Kostas. I know the Mavs might want to make moves with TE. I am fine either way. But if Kostas remain a Legends, Roby should be let go overseas to learn to play as a pro. At the current standard, Roby has proven nothing. With 4 SL games, Roby raised more questions on personality and intangibles. Instead of proven the critic wrong, the play actually prove the critics right. That's not a good sign for a rookie. I guess Roby has some motivation issues. That's a main barrier for players to turn pro. I don't even wrong players on TWC to play alongside Roby. I am serious. That's not a good impact at all. I don't like players getting blowed by a lot and cheat for statistics. I also don't like players who stays away from contact and always not in position to rebound or challenge shots. I also do not enjoy players getting wrong on switch and making everywhere opened. That's not the way to play defense. Roby has to stay in front of the offensive players and always stay between the basket and the offensive players. That's the basics for defense. I also don't like players who turns the ball over a lot and creates fast breaks and easy buckets for opposing teams. For the 4 games, I consider Roby a complete failture. I'd start Wittington over Roby rather easily.
bobsquad
Rookie

Post#28 » by bobsquad » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:42 pm

can't shoot
isn't a playmaker
no discipline (5!! fouls per 36 in G-league)
doesn't have the body to play inside

Maybe I'm a little old school in my scouting, but I just don't see it. Pulled up his stats to see if I was missing anything special, looked up Bruno "2 years away from being 2 years away" Caboclo's G-league stats from his early seasons for comparison and Bruno's looked pretty good by comparison.
Darren
RealGM

Post#29 » by Darren » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:16 am

Two-way contract could not last forever. If Kostas is 2 year away, then multiple year minimum contract is not an issue. It's only practice player. At least, Kostas passes the eye test. Kostas does not get push very often in paint despite what you claim 200-210 lbs. Kostas fouls a little more. But that's mainly the fault of Roby who loses defending and rebounding position very often. Last SL, Kostas is playing alongside Brandon Ashley. Kostas's ability to block shot and serve a lob target role is on display. Roby can't defend, rebound or shoot. That's a big difference. Bare in mind that the starting unit is actually, Kostas-Roby-Macon-Cleveland-Payne. That's 3-PG lineup. The defensive pressure in paint is a little different. Even so, the Mavs SL squad is among the best in defense. This speaks volume about how impactful Kostas is on the defensive end. Kostas does hit 3 and has an euro step to offer with. Not to mention that Kostas outrun all 5 in SL squad. It's actually good enough to raise the case at least. Of course, it takes a deeper look as normal should there be another SL at higher level.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#30 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:29 am

John Henson please.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 am

burek3 wrote:I would get Reaves in and leave Roby and Kostas on two-ways. Drop Macon.

What about putting Reaves and Roby on two-way deals, and dropping both Kostas and Macon?

What I'm thinking is the Mavs use the TPE on a player like John Henson, then trade him along with Lee (after waiting the minimum amount of days to do this), for a player that a team wants to get rid of. Some players that come to mind are Batum, Steven Adams, Tristan Thompson (this would have to be a 3+ team deal including Henson and the TPE though), Chris Paul, and I'm sure others will emerge as the season goes on. Heck, maybe the Raptors decide to blow it all up now that Kawhi and Danny Green both left, so perhaps guys like Gasol, Lowry, or Ibaka will be available?
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#32 » by burek3 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:28 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
burek3 wrote:I would get Reaves in and leave Roby and Kostas on two-ways. Drop Macon.

What about putting Reaves and Roby on two-way deals, and dropping both Kostas and Macon?

What I'm thinking is the Mavs use the TPE on a player like John Henson, then trade him along with Lee (after waiting the minimum amount of days to do this), for a player that a team wants to get rid of. Some players that come to mind are Batum, Steven Adams, Tristan Thompson (this would have to be a 3+ team deal including Henson and the TPE though), Chris Paul, and I'm sure others will emerge as the season goes on. Heck, maybe the Raptors decide to blow it all up now that Kawhi and Danny Green both left, so perhaps guys like Gasol, Lowry, or Ibaka will be available?

I don't know, it kinda seems like Dallas is indeed trying to push Giannis' buttons by having his brother around. The thing is it's not guaranteed if the process you described is feasible, I would definitely have Gasol or Adams around. I believe Mavs FO is done and not making any more phone calls, so this offseason might be concluded.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 am

burek3 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I don't know, it kinda seems like Dallas is indeed trying to push Giannis' buttons by having his brother around. The thing is it's not guaranteed if the process you described is feasible, I would definitely have Gasol or Adams around. I believe Mavs FO is done and not making any more phone calls, so this offseason might be concluded.

I kinda hope the John Henson deal happens, but we'll see. I hope Gasol is available, but probably not.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#34 » by arkuo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:08 pm

The last roster spot can be left open for now. Teams will begin waiving and trading people midseason. You want that flexibility.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:10 pm

arkuo wrote:The last roster spot can be left open for now. Teams will begin waiving and trading people midseason. You want that flexibility.

Very true. My thinking is that they can promote a guy like Kostas for the time being, and if he shows something, then keep him, if not, then waive or trade away.

But I think it would be smarter for the team to use the TPE right now so that the 2 month clock on combining the incoming player with other players on the roster starts ASAP.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#36 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:51 pm

With not much movement and with Dallas waiving Kostas, I can see Macon or Reaves getting the last spot on the team. WIth one of those two plus Roby getting two-way deals to stay in the G-League.

Barea is only signed on for one more year and Macon can come in handy for a cheap 3rd string PG.

Reaves' ability to run the floor and play elite defense is very impressive. Doesn't get rattled for a rookie. Reminiscent of Tony Allen's early years. Same height, built and skill set too.

Roby is more of an enigma. Has an NBA ready body, can play the 3 or the 4. Time in the G-League will tell if he can make the A-team.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:38 pm

arkuo wrote:With not much movement and with Dallas waiving Kostas, I can see Macon or Reaves getting the last spot on the team. WIth one of those two plus Roby getting two-way deals to stay in the G-League.

Barea is only signed on for one more year and Macon can come in handy for a cheap 3rd string PG.

Reaves' ability to run the floor and play elite defense is very impressive. Doesn't get rattled for a rookie. Reminiscent of Tony Allen's early years. Same height, built and skill set too.

Roby is more of an enigma. Has an NBA ready body, can play the 3 or the 4. Time in the G-League will tell if he can make the A-team.

Yeah, promote Macon I guess because his 3 ball could be helpful, but honestly, the team should try to find a way to use the rest of their TPE somehow. I like the idea of John Henson for sure, but since he's an expiring contract, the Cavs might want a 2nd round pick in return for him. Not bad I guess, especially if you can throw Henson into another trade later on.

But for now, I guess go with Macon.
Darren
RealGM

Post#38 » by Darren » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:59 am

I think the Mavs will explore options in trade market. If Minny is willing to take Hardaway, Courtney for Wiggins, Okogie, Diop and a first, I think I lane towards accepting this trade. Wiggins is overpaid but does have the potential to succeed as 3rd option. Okogie and Diop could be potentially 3D players. Getting a first out of expiring contract is nice.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:21 am

Darren wrote:I think the Mavs will explore options in trade market. If Minny is willing to take Hardaway, Courtney for Wiggins, Okogie, Diop and a first, I think I lane towards accepting this trade. Wiggins is overpaid but does have the potential to succeed as 3rd option. Okogie and Diop could be potentially 3D players. Getting a first out of expiring contract is nice.

Minny prolly says no to that.
bobsquad
Rookie

Post#40 » by bobsquad » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 am

Curious what's up with Trey Burke, I thought he finished the season really well. Maybe he's considering the Shane Larkin path of playing in Europe.

Return to Dallas Mavericks