ImageImageImage

**The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread**

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread** 

Post#1601 » by Grubie024 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Every interview I've ever seen of him, he comes off as very intelligent and thoughtful. That combined with his obvious skill, talent and, despite what national fans/media say, strong work ethic... he'll be top 10. If not next year, very soon. The sky is the limit.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#1602 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Thought I posted this last night...

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#1603 » by TaylorTag » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Klomp wrote:Thought I posted this last night...

Read on Twitter

great quote.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1604 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1605 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doesn't sound like someone who feels like he's on the verge of demanding a trade if we don't win right away....

Karl-Anthony Towns' ripped the staff culture under previous coach Tom Thibodeau and praised hiring of Ryan Saunders as well as the team's front office during an exclusive interview Thursday.

"I think that I'm very blessed that I have a great front office. I have a great coaching staff," Towns told WCCO's Cory Hepola during a live interview at his summer camp. "We think we have the best coaching staff possibly in the game right now from a talent, experience and just culture standpoint. And the culture we're building here is something special. So I'm very happy. I'm very glad now we're introducing Culver and Nowell to a culture that we possess now. You know, I don't think the situation before it would've been very beneficial for them.

While clearly referencing the Tom Thibodeau lead Timberwolves, Towns talked about how he felt it held back the development of the players.

"And that's a disrespect and a slap in the face to their development, you know, and I want to make sure that they develop not only as players, but as human beings and as men. And, uh, you know, that's what we're here to do. And in Minnesota, the thing, one of the biggest things where Ryan and with me is like, we have to make sure our culture is not based on just basketball. This is a family atmosphere. Everything we do here in Minnesota has to be able to have a family. A family backing and a family thought process. And building people's personalities, characters and showing them more of themselves. And you're more than basketball."

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1606 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1607 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:38 am

Klomp wrote:"And that's a disrespect and a slap in the face to their development, you know, and I want to make sure that they develop not only as players, but as human beings and as men. And, uh, you know, that's what we're here to do. And in Minnesota, the thing, one of the biggest things where Ryan and with me is like, we have to make sure our culture is not based on just basketball. This is a family atmosphere. Everything we do here in Minnesota has to be able to have a family. A family backing and a family thought process. And building people's personalities, characters and showing them more of themselves. And you're more than basketball."

I liked that he mentioned both Culver and Nowell in the interview. But this part quoted...does family = country club?

This whole thing about him not liking the staff or culture before under Thibs, but likes Ryan. Ryan was part of the staff before. My whole question about what was going wrong internally during that time was that I wanted to know who the backstabbers were, who the naysayers were, who were the cancers trying to hold back what was a top 4 West team in the running. Which players weren't giving it there everything. Which on the coaching staff were enabling it. I think I have clear answers to some of that by now. Doesn't really matter now, spilled milk. Just noting it seems clear now. He doesn't just want country club, he wants a family country club.

I agree with him about the development aspect in some respects. Clearly younger players and any depth for that matter were not really a noticeable goal. However, KAT never "developed" noticeably under the coaches prior to Thibs. It was during Thibs time were he indeed did develop a notch higher. Even if he did mail it in during the playoffs and while attempting to trade Butler to start the season last year.

So they don't want the culture to be "all basketball" eh. Well great. I can't wait to watch family handle it when they have to cut one of the family. Where is the family then? Will they just claim whoever they cut and move on from wasn't "family enough" and didn't fit the culture, or was too focused on just basketball? Fo shame, all that kid cared about was getting better at basketball. He didn't want to game with us at night, stupid dummy was just a gym rat that didn't do family...off with his head.

What I really can't wait for now is what Kat is like at the end of his current contract. At that point he will be considered an old man by players getting drafted. He probably already is considered so to a point. Damnit, this is why Coaches are supposed to rule teams. Not ignorant players too early in their lives to understand enough.

Radio personalities were talking NBA the other day and laughing about "culture" they heard about in a player's quote. Was it Kat's interview they were talking about? I never heard who it was at the time. Boy did they have a laugh about the Culture thing. One of them was a former player.

You have to love it when someone signs a contract for over 100+ million and constantly likes to talk about culture and how the team can't just be about basketball. What is it about then? Honestly, what is it all about? Getting paid to hang with buds? Oh right it's about creating a family atmosphere. Because families regularly dump members of their family to hire better ones.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1608 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:57 am

Jedzz wrote:But this part quoted...does family = country club?

No. I'm pretty sure there are only two people in the franchise who possibly could even be classified as country club, Glen Taylor and Ryan Saunders.

Gersson Rosas? No.
Gianluca Pascucci? No.
Sachin Gupta? No.
David Vanterpool? No.
Pablo Prigioni? No.
Robby Sikka? No.

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1609 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:52 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:But this part quoted...does family = country club?

No. I'm pretty sure there are only two people in the franchise who possibly could even be classified as country club, Glen Taylor and Ryan Saunders.

Gersson Rosas? No.
Gianluca Pascucci? No.
Sachin Gupta? No.
David Vanterpool? No.
Pablo Prigioni? No.
Robby Sikka? No.

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

I agree with your list, but could possibly add Karl Anthony Towns to the Yes category. Both he and Ryan, Glen, add Wiggins. I would appreciate if you did, go on...

There is a lot of what sounds like positive talk going on from KAT this offseason. But it could also be seen a bit as him telling the team what he expects from the new group which makes him happy about being here. We know KAT likes to meddle. He's already thick into doing so.

I'm not sure if Towns is making all these comments because those interviewing him are digging or what kind of drama they could be after. Or, is Towns saying these things on his own? No games have happened yet, the team roster is still "liquid". One thing he's done every offseason is talk about how he plans to kick ass in the next season. This year he's said a few things. He started out by voicing his thoughts that he doesn't want to go into some kind of rebuilding development season.
Now he wants everyone to know he's happier now than before, and it's because now he can have "culture" and "family", and less about strictly basketball, and that this group will allow player development better than the last FO.

Hopefully he's still in a happy place come December.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#1610 » by Killboard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Jedzz wrote:I'm not sure if Towns is making all these comments because those interviewing him are digging or what kind of drama they could be after. Or, is Towns saying these things on his own? No games have happened yet, the team roster is still "liquid". One thing he's done every offseason is talk about how he plans to kick ass in the next season. This year he's said a few things. He started out by voicing his thoughts that he doesn't want to go into some kind of rebuilding development season.
Now he wants everyone to know he's happier now than before, and it's because now he can have "culture" and "family", and less about strictly basketball, and that this group will allow player development better than the last FO.

Hopefully he's still in a happy place come December.

I prefer him talking now about the positive changes and how they can impact development instead of throwing trash at Bulter, Thibs and the whole FO like he could have done back then. He handled himself as a veteran, or as a mature young player, instead of acting like an entitled diva some people think he is.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1611 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:23 pm

Killboard wrote:
I prefer him talking now about the positive changes and how they can impact development instead of throwing trash at Bulter, Thibs and the whole FO like he could have done back then. He handled himself as a veteran, or as a mature young player, instead of acting like an entitled diva some people think he is.

No doubt, at least in words I never really heard much that could be construed as a negative thing. Until now, as he speaks openly about the past regime. He's certainly diva-ing a few direction things behind closed doors to get what he wants. It hasn't all been mature in nature. Then again, mature blokes are constantly undercutting their coworkers and peers in order to get their way. So nothing new. I'm just glad he mostly keeps it all behind closed doors. Many don't, you are correct it could be so much different.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1612 » by Jedzz » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:37 am

I'm always hard on him. But he's special. This was a couple days after his knee injury scare last year. Tony Davis who?

Read on Twitter
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#1613 » by Mattya » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:27 am

Little preview of KAT on the Courage and Nadeshot podcast. Full episode goes up on Thursday.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#1614 » by minimus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:06 pm

One that I've recently realised is that last season Giannis averaged 33 mpg and won MVP. I fully expect KAT averaging less than 33 mpg next season (because he is a bigman), while keeping his elite efficiency as scorer and hopefully improving as defender as well.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,172

Post#1615 » by AirP. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 pm

minimus wrote:One that I've recently realised is that last season Giannis averaged 33 mpg and won MVP. I fully expect KAT averaging less than 33 mpg next season (because he is a bigman), while keeping his elite efficiency as scorer and hopefully improving as defender as well.

Giannis only averaged 33 mpg because Milwaukee won a lot of games by a good amount, 45 wins by 10+ points and of those 11 wins by +22 points
Giannis minutes by wins/loss
Win - 31.8 minutes (+/- +17.9)
Loss - 36.1 minutes (+/- -3.1)
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#1616 » by minimus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:20 pm

AirP. wrote:
minimus wrote:One that I've recently realised is that last season Giannis averaged 33 mpg and won MVP. I fully expect KAT averaging less than 33 mpg next season (because he is a bigman), while keeping his elite efficiency as scorer and hopefully improving as defender as well.

Giannis only averaged 33 mpg because Milwaukee won a lot of games by a good amount, 45 wins by 10+ points and of those 11 wins by +22 points
Giannis minutes by wins/loss
Win - 31.8 minutes (+/- +17.9)
Loss - 36.1 minutes (+/- -3.1)

Good point. Thats what I call good load management. I still think that KAT shouldn't average more than 33 mpg. But we must maximize these minutes.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1617 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Why is Towns seen as a Center and not as a Power Forward? Is it purely because of the fantasy about 7 ft height? Could he be used as a Power forward and would it be helpful to do so? He's not going to run the floor like Anthony Davis very long, but would it allow him to be all he can be more?
Folklore
Senior
And1: 170

Post#1619 » by Folklore » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Jedzz wrote:https://www.facebook.com/TheOpenCourt/videos/959261067557422/?video_source=permalink

That showed more of Jeff and Andrew being idiots.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1620 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Folklore wrote:
Jedzz wrote:https://www.facebook.com/TheOpenCourt/videos/959261067557422/?video_source=permalink

That showed more of Jeff and Andrew being idiots.

Yes, but why can't we just be honest and accept that all three of them were idiots there? A 6 footer boxed him out plain and simple. Maybe we should just trade him to the Lakers for their next ten years of available FRPs.

Maybe Lebron won't care that he's an "empty stat allstar" ~JVG
Spoiler:
https://youtu.be/6EuIC9bkGN8?t=80

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves