ImageImageImageImageImage

Book Thread. I have nothing good to read.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Re: Book Thread. I have nothing good to read. 

Post#261 » by dobrojim » Thu Oct 9, 2014 1:26 am

"Euphoria is addicting and self-sacrifice transcending; but equilibrium is life-sustaining and reciprocity is the heart of love" - a quote from the chapter called I Will Live With Moral Injury from a book I just finished called Soul Repair - Recovering from Moral Injury after War by Brock and Lettini. An amazing book. Highly recommended.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#262 » by dobrojim » Mon Dec 1, 2014 7:25 pm

I recently began reading Covey's iconic 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I must say
I was pretty skeptical, almost cynical, about the potential utility of any book out of
the so-called self-help genre. But I'm finding resonance here.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#263 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:56 am

Bump for further digressions in the Oubre thread.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#264 » by pineappleheadindc » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:56 am

Since doc is bumping up threads in this, the low season of discussion -- with no NBA/Wizards news to chew on for a few months.

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. He's going to win the Nobel Prize for Literature sometime real soon.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#265 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:30 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:Since doc is bumping up threads in this, the low season of discussion -- with no NBA/Wizards news sto chew on for a few months.

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. He's going to win the Nobel Prize for Literature sometime real soon.

Finally have gotten around to reading Richard Ford's The Lay of the Land, his third in the Frank Bascombe trilogy.

Very internally-focused and introspective, but brilliant. One of the more intriguing and insightful studies of 'maleness' that I've read.
In Rizzo we trust
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#266 » by doclinkin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Bumping because I was trying to remember a title
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,586

Post#267 » by penbeast0 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Starting "The History of the American People" because my brother in law raved about it. Recently enjoyed "The Wizard and the Prophet" about the debate between Mathusians/environmentalists who claim the planet is threatening to reach its carrying capacity for human life and the techonologists/geneticists who believe that technological fixes can be found for all this type of problems.

Historically, I have to say the Wizards have kicked the Prophets butts repeatedly for the last few hundred years. (Maybe the only time I get to say the Wizards have been historically successful on a basketball board).

Enjoy good Sci-Fi and even fantasy but it's been a while since I read anything that stuck with me.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#268 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Someday I'm going to retire (not soon) and read every book in this thread, so keep em coming.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#269 » by BigA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:51 am

I'm listening to books on Audible on my commute. I liked this one:

Empire of the Summer Moon
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#270 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:16 am

4 very strong recommendations from recent novel reading:

1. Munich Airport by Glen Baxter.
2. The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
3. The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro
4.Killing Commendatore by Hiroko Murakami (I'm in the middle of this one. But, actually, anything at all by Murakami: The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, for example, is one of the half dozen best books I've read in the last ten years)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#271 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 am

I picked up my first Ron Rash book early in the summer this year.

And couldn’t stop reading until I’d read every word he’s ever written. Brilliant, incredible portraits of different time periods in small town Appalachia. Haunting, page turning. He’s John Grisham if Grisham had a core of feeling.
In Rizzo we trust
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#272 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:16 am

Brave new world
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#273 » by BigA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:53 am

NatP4 wrote:Brave new world

Funny that out of all the dystopian fiction from the early-mid 20th century, this one may resonate best with stuff that's going on today or appears imminent.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#274 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:00 pm

payitforward wrote:4 very strong recommendations from recent novel reading:

4.Killing Commendatore by Hiroko Murakami (I'm in the middle of this one. But, actually, anything at all by Murakami: The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, for example, is one of the half dozen best books I've read in the last ten years)

I loved Kafka on the Shore - even though it was bizarre at times
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#275 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Bump for PIFfle
payitforward
RealGM

Post#276 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:58 pm

At Doc's suggestion from the Rui H. thread:

payitforward wrote:...Doc, are you a reader of novels? If so, have you read Haruki Murakami? He's absolutely great. He's a big baseball fan. I don't know about basketball, however. Still... I've been wondering how to get in touch with him -- suggest he join this Board!! Would be fun.

(For anyone interested in following up on Murakami... start anywhere. All his books are good. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is among the half dozen best novels I've read in the last 20 years.)

Enjoy!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#277 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I missed this post, Ruz -- sorry.

Kafka on the Shore is really good, but it's not even near the top for bizarreness among Murakami's books. I can't recommend The Wind-up Bird Chronicle highly enough. It's absolutely amazing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#278 » by Ruzious » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:28 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Kafka on the Shore is really good, but it's not even near the top for bizarreness among Murakami's books. I can't recommend The Wind-up Bird Chronicle highly enough. It's absolutely amazing.

Wow, sounds good to me - that's definitely next on my Amazon buying list. I've been very lazy reading the last couple of years - just reading old reliable story-tellers Stephen King and John Grisham - as well as King's (disturbed) son Joe Hill and Jon Safran Foer. I know - shame on me. Hopefully I'll do better. Thanks Pif.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#279 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:10 am

I can't wait to hear how you like The Windup Bird Chronicle, Ruz. It's a strange and wonderful book. Don't wait!
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 871

Post#280 » by badinage » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I loved Kafka on the Shore - even though it was bizarre at times

Wow, sounds good to me - that's definitely next on my Amazon buying list. I've been very lazy reading the last couple of years - just reading old reliable story-tellers Stephen King and John Grisham - as well as King's (disturbed) son Joe Hill and Jon Safran Foer. I know - shame on me. Hopefully I'll do better. Thanks Pif.

May I suggest not having it on an Amazon buying list? And instead supporting an independent bookstore? Like Powell’s out of Portland, or Kramerbooks in DC, or Left Bank Books in St. Louis, or Books and Books in Miami.

They’re all hurting. They need the support. Amazon and the internet are killing them and so much else that matters in the culture.

Too many people seem to think that all they’re there to do is sell product. They’re gathering places, community centers, cultural centers, places to hear ideas and be challenged.

Return to Washington Wizards