Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Re: Who will be the STEAL of the 2019 NBA draft? 

Post#21 » by j-ragg » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#22 » by karkinos » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:49 pm

just gonna put it out there too that i won't be surprised at all if spurs picks this year end up being the steals
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#23 » by gundysmullet » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Rui
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#24 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Rui Hachimura is starting to look like the classic case of a player who’s underutilized in their college system .

He actually has the skillset of a wing , but the length+ brute strength to play PF/small ball C which is perfect for the modern NBA. I don’t understand why there wasn’t more talk about this guy pre-draft given the archetype teams are looking for in today’s league.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#25 » by King Ken » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:23 pm

crows2 wrote:Reddish is more likely to be the biggest bust. Statistically one of the worst lottery picks of the last decade. He’ll need to completely transform his mindset if he’s going to succeed in the league. His interview after he was picked didn’t give me much hope; he seemed pretty content with how he performed in college.

As someone who watched every Duke game and some multiple times. His tape was much better than his stats.

The amount of people like you that will look really bad and very soon will be notable and I already know the blame game will be blaming Coach K.

When I think it would be wrong.
Duke ran a lot of off ball NBA actions for him although not many on ball actions which is more of his strength.
Duke had limited depth. Duke just had a massively poor fit with exceptional talents at least Tre, Cam, Zion and R.J.
Duke clearly went with the more consistent and easy to build around players in Zion and R.J. which came to the harm of Tre and Cam.
On top of that, the NBA
Duke had to make an economy decision. We didn't have the personnel to best use or even averagely use Cam. That said, the NBA is a much better fit for Cam as he is a space player and the Hawks are the perfect fit.

I have no issue with his mindset as it's similar to Kevin Huerter. The amount of people like you that will be playing the blame game or saying I didn't see this at Duke just wasn't watching hard enough. When he had space, he was excellent. When he didn't, he struggled. His defensive the 2nd half of the season was much better as he was more discipline and he was the best perimeter defender at SF in the draft as well as the best off ball defender. It's going to be fun to watch you type eat crow.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#26 » by King Ken » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:I can't go with Coby White - especially the comp to Arenas. Arenas was so explosive going to the basket combined with underrated strength. That's why he was able to draw fouls and finish through contact. He also had deep 3 point range - while Coby is awfully inconsistent with his shot. I can't see him being anywhere near the scorer that Arenas was.

I think Bol's the biggest steal, but Fernando and Claxton were terrific bargains. Iggy obviously and Weatherspoon has a chance.

I agree and disagree. He is not compared to Gil because is a carbon copy. He is compared to him because they are both exceptional open court players with elite speed and quickness in both open and in the half court. Both score from all three levels. Both have a very very high skill level and both are scoring minded guards. He is not Gil as he is Coby but he is most like Gil in a number of areas.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#27 » by King Ken » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Rui Hachimura is starting to look like the classic case of a player who’s underutilized in their college system .

He actually has the skillset of a wing , but the length+ brute strength to play PF/small ball C which is perfect for the modern NBA. I don’t understand why there wasn’t more talk about this guy pre-draft given the archetype teams are looking for in today’s league.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Where I missed on Rui was even though he was at #9. I felt he had all star potential but I didn't realize he was this athletic in traffic. He is not a bang on you Amare type but he is so strong with great hands, you can't guard him on that drive because he will just Klaw you on the dribble drive.

Some people will say, let's just wait but NBA tools show anytime. The same people who was like, let's wait till the season to see Wade's body control in traffic waited and everyone seen it's real. Tools are tools. You either got it or you don't.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#28 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:48 pm

King Ken wrote:
crows2 wrote:Reddish is more likely to be the biggest bust. Statistically one of the worst lottery picks of the last decade. He’ll need to completely transform his mindset if he’s going to succeed in the league. His interview after he was picked didn’t give me much hope; he seemed pretty content with how he performed in college.

As someone who watched every Duke game and some multiple times. His tape was much better than his stats.

The amount of people like you that will look really bad and very soon will be notable and I already know the blame game will be blaming Coach K.

Duke ran a lot of off ball NBA actions for him although not many on ball actions which is more of his strength.
Duke had limited depth. Duke just had a massively poor fit with exceptional talents at least Tre, Cam, Zion and R.J.
Duke clearly went with the more consistent and easy to build around players in Zion and R.J. which came to the harm of Tre and Cam.
On top of that, the NBA
Duke had to make an economy decision. We didn't have the personnel to best use or even averagely use Cam. That said, the NBA is a much better fit for Cam as he is a space player and the Hawks are the perfect fit.

I have no issue with his mindset as it's similar to Kevin Huerter. The amount of people like you that will be playing the blame game or saying I didn't see this at Duke just wasn't watching hard enough. When he had space, he was excellent. When he didn't, he struggled. His defensive the 2nd half of the season was much better as he was more discipline and he was the best perimeter defender at SF in the draft as well as the best off ball defender. It's going to be fun to watch you type eat crow.

IDK the bust potential is based 90% on his lack of ability to finish in my book. He overcomes that, and it means he also put the work in and cared enough was driven enough etc which would certainly lessen the bust label potential, but in order to be worthy of 10 pick he has to find ways to utilize his skillset that was lacking in college despite having a system that will only use him as a catch and shoot wing as is same as in college...tough sell right now.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#29 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:58 pm

King Ken wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Rui Hachimura is starting to look like the classic case of a player who’s underutilized in their college system .

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Where I missed on Rui was even though he was at #9. I felt he had all star potential but I didn't realize he was this athletic in traffic. He is not a bang on you Amare type but he is so strong with great hands, you can't guard him on that drive because he will just Klaw you on the dribble drive.

Some people will say, let's just wait but NBA tools show anytime. The same people who was like, let's wait till the season to see Wade's body control in traffic waited and everyone seen it's real. Tools are tools. You either got it or you don't.

You're not alone man I misjudged on him too, because my thing was I didn't realize that Gonzaga's system had him in handcuffs.
They made him bulk up and pigeonholed him as a robotic post player.

If you look at his U17, U19 Team Japan stuff before he put on the mass his game was straight up looking like Kawhi Jr.. he still has all this type of stuff in his bag but his college system didn't let him show it

It looks like he lost a lot of that weight after the NCAA season and is starting to get his flexibility/agility back.
I'm curious what Washington training staff envisions for him in terms of his body , you think they should try to get him to bulk up into a Paul Millsap type? Or should he slim down to a Kawhi-type game? I feel like if he cuts like 3% more body fat and starts blowing past NBA wings off the dribble, it's a wrap.

Imo that's the biggest thing people overlook when it comes to prospects, a lot of these guys improve their bodies once they get in the league (classic example Draymond Green), so you have to factor that into your projection.

Thats been my whole view on Cam Reddish as well. Let's be real the kid was trash in college , but if the Hawks can improve his core strength and explosiveness by like ~25% he could be really intriguing. Right now he's too unathletic to be an on-ball creator, but Brad Beal was like that too when we drafted him then he fine-tuned his physique around age 22-23. But then you have your Otto Porter Jrs who never improved his body and still has a nonexistent first step.. so it's hard to predict which guys will get there.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#30 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Gilbert Arenas was a BULLY . I don't see the comp to Coby White there.
Coby is fast and has a quick release, but he doesn't like contact too much. GIl would seek out smaller guards and bully them in the post repeatedly and laugh in their faces. Lol

Just completely different mentalities, we're talking about a dude who grew up on the streets homeless sleeping in a car . I don't see any prospects in this young generation being comparable to Arenas. Coby is more like a speedier Jamal Murray imo
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#31 » by yoyoboy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:35 pm

I was confused why Rui wasn't a top 3 pick in the first place. His skillset is what modern NBA teams should be looking for.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

that would unlock a lot of Rui's game offensively if he can start hitting those pull up 3s consistently
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 pm

yoyoboy wrote:I was confused why Rui wasn't a top 3 pick in the first place. His skillset is what modern NBA teams should be looking for.

how? he was a wing that couldn't really play make, pass, or shoot 3s, and an average defender at best. his problem was that he didn't fit the modern NBA as a wING and was looked at more as as PF who wasn't really a great defender and didn't stretch the floor.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#34 » by karkinos » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:04 pm

idk about you guys
i heard and read plenty about rui. not surprised at all he was a lotto pick *shrug*
i think his biggest weakness is defense.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#35 » by 916fan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:42 pm

Nickeil Alexander-Walker, the most complete SG in this class. People will be wondering how he dropped past all these other guys.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#36 » by King Ken » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:

On top of that, the NBA

IDK the bust potential is based 90% on his lack of ability to finish in my book. He overcomes that, and it means he also put the work in and cared enough was driven enough etc which would certainly lessen the bust label potential, but in order to be worthy of 10 pick he has to find ways to utilize his skillset that was lacking in college despite having a system that will only use him as a catch and shoot wing as is same as in college...tough sell right now.

I do believe he will have issues finishing in traffic like a young Jamal Crawford but I will challenge you with this. How many easy finishes did he get? Most of Cam's finishes were in traffic. Usually over or around 2-3 defenders or beating one defender and trying to finish over the other. Tre and Zion succeeded in those situations. R.J. and Cam struggled and Cam even more than R.J. I keep saying this, Cam like all of the Duke 4 didn't struggle to finish 1 on 0. He didn't struggle when he was to the basket before the defender. I keep saying, Cam lack of getting the ball in easy scoring positions really hurt Cam's data and we know he can just based on the tape and obviously his HS tape. Cam is 9 FTA guy a game type. I am convinced the NBA finishing is not that bad. I will even go so far to say his finishing issues could be easily placed in the Trae Young OU zone of spacing issues more than anything.

I strongly believe based on the tape, he needs to really add a Jamal Crawford/Trae Young floater just due to his lack of explosiveness off of one foot. He is an explosive two foot jumper with Lonzo Ball like dunking ability.

79% of his shots were jumpshots, he was clearly pigeonholed mainly due to role, personnel, and having players that are better at certain things then he is like Tre, R.J. and Zion in certain areas. His catch and shoot open was 41%. His isolation numbers were good and should have had more on ball actions. He had more complex actions than most movement perimeter based players. Nearly as many actions as Kyle Guy. Just think about that and unlike Kyle, a lot of his actions were NBA type actions. He already is more set for his skill-set then what gets spoken.

I don't see a high FG% player but he will be great eFG% and his potential scoring wise is top tier. He shoots with range, with a lot of actions (NBA level), hesi, pull up, stepback and before the groin injury, his projected 3pt% was nearly as high as Klay Thompson's. There will be a lot of egg on a lot of peoples faces with Cam Reddish and honestly, there shouldn't be.
anthony00
Analyst
And1: 1,514

Post#37 » by anthony00 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Edwards or NAW
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#38 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:29 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:As someone who watched every Duke game and some multiple times. His tape was much better than his stats.

On top of that, the NBA

I do believe he will have issues finishing in traffic like a young Jamal Crawford but I will challenge you with this. How many easy finishes did he get? Most of Cam's finishes were in traffic. Usually over or around 2-3 defenders or beating one defender and trying to finish over the other. Tre and Zion succeeded in those situations. R.J. and Cam struggled and Cam even more than R.J. I keep saying this, Cam like all of the Duke 4 didn't struggle to finish 1 on 0. He didn't struggle when he was to the basket before the defender. I keep saying, Cam lack of getting the ball in easy scoring positions really hurt Cam's data and we know he can just based on the tape and obviously his HS tape. Cam is 9 FTA guy a game type. I am convinced the NBA finishing is not that bad. I will even go so far to say his finishing issues could be easily placed in the Trae Young OU zone of spacing issues more than anything.

I strongly believe based on the tape, he needs to really add a Jamal Crawford/Trae Young floater just due to his lack of explosiveness off of one foot. He is an explosive two foot jumper with Lonzo Ball like dunking ability.

79% of his shots were jumpshots, he was clearly pigeonholed mainly due to role, personnel, and having players that are better at certain things then he is like Tre, R.J. and Zion in certain areas. His catch and shoot open was 41%. His isolation numbers were good and should have had more on ball actions. He had more complex actions than most movement perimeter based players. Nearly as many actions as Kyle Guy. Just think about that and unlike Kyle, a lot of his actions were NBA type actions. He already is more set for his skill-set then what gets spoken.

I don't see a high FG% player but he will be great eFG% and his potential scoring wise is top tier. He shoots with range, with a lot of actions (NBA level), hesi, pull up, stepback and before the groin injury, his projected 3pt% was nearly as high as Klay Thompson's. There will be a lot of egg on a lot of peoples faces with Cam Reddish and honestly, there shouldn't be.
certainly possible the tools are there,otherwise he wouldnt have gotten drafted, not after that "im a bust dont pick me season at duke"
regardless of reasons and excuses he has a lot to prove and if he does it will be more of a surprise than if he fails.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#39 » by karkinos » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:58 am

NAW put on a show tonite damn
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#40 » by EMG518 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:32 am

Herro will be the steal

Return to NBA Draft