ImageImageImage

Pau Gasol ? you never know who they will add for center

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Pau Gasol ? you never know who they will add for center 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Another name to watch is Pau Gasol. The Pistons have interest in him, a person with firsthand knowledge of the situation told the Free Press. A partnership could be natural, considering Pistons vice chairman Arn Tellem is Gasol’s former agent. Tellem attended Gasol’s wedding last weekend.
– via Detroit Free Press
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Re: Pau Gasol ? you never know who they will add for center 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Why not
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:15 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Why not

Because he's 39 years old, has foot problems, and sure looked like he was on a STEEP decline last season.

Does that really sound like the kind of center Detroit should use its last "stay under the luxury tax" bullet and last roster spot on?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#4 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:25 pm

thesack12 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Why not

Because he's 39 years old, has foot problems, and sure looked like he was on a STEEP decline last season.

Does that really sound like the kind of center Detroit should use its last "stay under the luxury tax" bullet and last roster spot on?

Yeah i actually havent watched him in a while and at that age hes gotta be pretty bad.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,488

Post#5 » by whitehops » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:37 pm

i think he would purely be signed for "culture" reasons. we already have four guys that can play center (drummond, griffin, maker, morris) and there's really no need for a fifth guy there. he can't defend outside the paint and offensively isn't nearly as effective as he used to be.

he does have a high ball IQ though and has always been a good team guy. we have an interesting mix of guys that are either veterans or in their first three years so his presence could help the younger guys learn how to play in the league.

but yeah, like always, your 15th man rarely makes a difference on the court.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#6 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:37 pm

Honestly I’d rather sign Greg Monroe to min contract to sit behind Maker and Dre. I don’t see any value in adding Gasol who can’t stay healthy. We’d get what out of Gasol? 10 mins a night maybe?
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#7 » by Kilo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 am

He had surgery this off-season, to correct the foot issue. So if last season can be blamed on a nagging foot injury that eventually required surgery than assuming it worked - which a physical would tell - I think you can look to his 2017-2018 season as more of a barometer of what he'd offer. I know the complaint against Westbrook was he relied on athleticism for his game and thus his game will age poorly and steeply, well Gasol's game is the opposite of that.

I'd rather play him over Maker truth be told, if he is healthy. But I also assume he'll find a better suitor just the same.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Kilo
RealGM

Post#8 » by Kilo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 am

DetroitDon15 wrote:Honestly I’d rather sign Greg Monroe to min contract to sit behind Maker and Dre. I don’t see any value in adding Gasol who can’t stay healthy. We’d get what out of Gasol? 10 mins a night maybe?

Monroe chose to leave and played under a QO in order to get away. Nah, he can stay away.
Weaver = Hinkie
thesack12
RealGM

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:11 am

Kilo wrote:He had surgery this off-season, to correct the foot issue. So if last season can be blamed on a nagging foot injury that eventually required surgery than assuming it worked - which a physical would tell - I think you can look to his 2017-2018 season as more of a barometer of what he'd offer. I know the complaint against Westbrook was he relied on athleticism for his game and thus his game will age poorly and steeply, well Gasol's game is the opposite of that.

I'd rather play him over Maker truth be told, if he is healthy. But I also assume he'll find a better suitor just the same.

How many foot surgeries did Yao Ming have? How many setbacks did Embiid have with his foot issues? Durant had surgery 3 times on the same foot.

Foot injuries have the tendency to be a forever nagging type of issue. I would think a guy like Pau who is 39 years old, and has a **** ton of miles on him, would be especially susceptible to nagging foot issues flaring up.
GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,246

Post#10 » by GreekAlex » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:16 am

thesack12 wrote:
Kilo wrote:He had surgery this off-season, to correct the foot issue. So if last season can be blamed on a nagging foot injury that eventually required surgery than assuming it worked - which a physical would tell - I think you can look to his 2017-2018 season as more of a barometer of what he'd offer. I know the complaint against Westbrook was he relied on athleticism for his game and thus his game will age poorly and steeply, well Gasol's game is the opposite of that.

How many foot surgeries did Yao Ming have? How many setbacks did Embiid have with his foot issues? Durant had surgery 3 times on the same foot.

Foot injuries have the tendency to be a forever nagging type of issue. I would think a guy like Pau who is 39 years old, and has a **** ton of miles on him, would be especially susceptible to nagging foot issues flaring up.

Cheering from the bench and waving a towel has never caused a foot issue to flare up. :lol: :lol:

All kidding aside, I have zero interest in Gasol as I mentioned in another thread.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#11 » by thesack12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:16 am

whitehops wrote:i think he would purely be signed for "culture" reasons. we already have four guys that can play center (drummond, griffin, maker, morris) and there's really no need for a fifth guy there. he can't defend outside the paint and offensively isn't nearly as effective as he used to be.

he does have a high ball IQ though and has always been a good team guy. we have an interesting mix of guys that are either veterans or in their first three years so his presence could help the younger guys learn how to play in the league.

but yeah, like always, your 15th man rarely makes a difference on the court.

There is some value to that type of situation. However, this team isn't going to be relying heavily on youth where having someone like Pau to lean on would be extra useful.

Since Detroit: A) Only has enough money to sign 1 vet minimum and stay under the tax B) Only has 1 available roster spot C) Has already used both of its 2 way contracts, I would rather give Donta Hall a season long look as the 15th man.

If we're looking at a Pau type of signing, I would much rather not sign anybody. Thus keeping the roster spot and luxury tax flexibility for potential trading purposes down the line.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#12 » by DETermination » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:20 am

I would love to have Pau.. 5 or 10 or 20 years ago.
Detroit vs Everybody
Kilo
RealGM

Post#13 » by Kilo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:20 am

Pistons passed on using #30 OA because they wanted a stash because they feel they have too many "developmentals" and wanted the #30 OA money on a vet minimum contract (roughly the same).

I wouldn't mind signing Hall to a non-guaranteed deal where he gets $100,000 and sent to GR Drive as an affiliate player, but is he any different than Johnny Hamilton was last year?
Weaver = Hinkie
thesack12
RealGM

Post#14 » by thesack12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:30 am

Kilo wrote:Pistons passed on using #30 OA because they wanted a stash because they feel they have too many "developmentals" and wanted the #30 OA money on a vet minimum contract (roughly the same).

I wouldn't mind signing Hall to a non-guaranteed deal where he gets $100,000 and sent to GR Drive as an affiliate player, but is he any different than Johnny Hamilton was last year?

Unless you want to consider Sekou one, Detroit doesn't have any developmental bigs. Not even on a 2 way deal.

I personally see way more defensive and rebounding upside in Donta Hall than Hamilton has. If things go right, I could see Hall developing into a Larry Sanders type player. t the very least, I think he is worth keeping rights to in some form. I'd personally cut King, and give Hall a 2 way.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#15 » by DTP » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:30 am

Pau would bring basically nothing to the court and Ellis never has any actual scoop on anything. His sources are basically watching the national guys break news on twitter.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#16 » by Kilo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:08 am

thesack12 wrote:
Kilo wrote:Pistons passed on using #30 OA because they wanted a stash because they feel they have too many "developmentals" and wanted the #30 OA money on a vet minimum contract (roughly the same).

Unless you want to consider Sekou one, Detroit doesn't have any developmental bigs. Not even on a 2 way deal.

I personally see way more defensive and rebounding upside in Donta Hall than Hamilton has. If things go right, I could see Hall developing into a Larry Sanders type player. t the very least, I think he is worth keeping rights to in some form. I'd personally cut King, and give Hall a 2 way.

There was bigs in the draft they could have taken #30 OA - Claxton, Fernando - also I think Maker is still a "work in progress" more than a "plug and play" veteran type. Maker is 6 months older than Donta Hall FWIW.
Weaver = Hinkie
thesack12
RealGM

Post#17 » by thesack12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:26 am

Kilo wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

There was bigs in the draft they could have taken #30 OA - Claxton, Fernando - also I think Maker is still a "work in progress" more than a "plug and play" veteran type. Maker is 6 months older than Donta Hall FWIW.

Eh, they probably just stuck to their board and strategized based on how it looked at the time. Wings were, still are, and will continue to be the biggest concern with this team. I don't think them not drafting a big is a clear indication they aren't interested in bringing in a developmental big at any capacity.

Sure Maker is young, but he also has 195 games (+16 playoff games) of NBA experience. His days of being developmental are numbered. For me personally when evaluating a players upside/development/etc I put more emphasis on NBA experience as opposed to shear age. These days the vast majority of players enter the league at 20 and under.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#18 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:45 am

As stated in the other thread somewhere:

I'm ok with us signing Pau assuming we're not going to sign a young dude for 1 year.

Personally I'd prefer a big, young dude on a 2 year minimum deal + a yeam option in an effort to develop him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#19 » by JohnReese » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 am

Gasol is an amazing role model and would be really helpful for a guy like Doumboya. I don't know if you remember the skinny Pau that arrived to the NBA and the incredible evolution he got after a couple of years. This is what Sekou will need.

However, I think it is very unlikely that he ends up here. The minimum vet is something that FC Barcelona can match to bring him back home and they are Euroleague contenders. It would be a nice ending for his career.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Post#20 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:09 am

Pistons should trade Galloway for a center .i can see it happening soon my prediction.

Return to Detroit Pistons