Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#21 » by karkinos » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:29 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
karkinos wrote:lol
would be weird if both barrett and cam couldn't shoot at the nba level

Why would it be weird? Neither one of them could shoot at the college level.

would be weird because that is literally why they were drafted - to shoot and score. everyone said not to worry the mechanics are fine and the shots will start falling...
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#22 » by gundysmullet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:40 pm

karkinos wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
karkinos wrote:lol
would be weird if both barrett and cam couldn't shoot at the nba level

Why would it be weird? Neither one of them could shoot at the college level.

would be weird because that is literally why they were drafted - to shoot and score. everyone said not to worry the mechanics are fine and the shots will start falling...

But again, neither one were good shooters in college. I think they got a boost because they were both McDonald’s all Americans and had the Duke mystique behind their name.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#23 » by karkinos » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:48 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
karkinos wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Why would it be weird? Neither one of them could shoot at the college level.

But again, neither one were good shooters in college. I think they got a boost because they were both McDonald’s all Americans and had the Duke mystique behind their name.

look, we're going to go around in circles
thanks for pointing out the same facts over and over. it's not that i didn't know they weren't great shooters in college
i already explained why it would be weird - basically to not live up to the expectations, regardless of past performance.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:53 pm

karkinos wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
karkinos wrote:would be weird because that is literally why they were drafted - to shoot and score. everyone said not to worry the mechanics are fine and the shots will start falling...

thanks for pointing out the same facts over and over. it's not that i didn't know they weren't great shooters in college
i already explained why it would be weird - basically to not live up to the expectations, regardless of past performance.

Barrett isn't ever going to be an elite shooter, his shot is broken, but lets not let that get in the way of the fact that everything else in the tool bag screams future all star, I mean if he brings up his shooting to a Lebron level in a few years he will be a top 5 forward in the league. Reddish on the other hand has decent shot mechanics and his biggest problems stem from mental weakness and lack of motor, add the core muscle issues excuse that lessened his athletic ability in college if you believe it etc. He could be a solid nba starter if the core muscle issue was the cause of his failures to finish through contact, if not he could be out of the league in 4 years.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#25 » by gundysmullet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:59 pm

karkinos wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
karkinos wrote:would be weird because that is literally why they were drafted - to shoot and score. everyone said not to worry the mechanics are fine and the shots will start falling...

I’m not getting what you’re not getting. My point is those “expectations” are unrealistic and were not based on anything that they’ve actually done on the court. They are not good shooters so I don’t know where the expectations came from in the first place.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#26 » by karkinos » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:07 pm

well
considering people still gambled on them using valuable draft picks despite not having the best college performance, so not living up to expectations, regardless of how realistic or unrealistic they were, would be a weird outcome.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#27 » by Marty McFly » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:33 pm

nybluemeadow wrote:RJ Barrett... this is an easy one.

quoted for posterity.
atlantabbq99 wrote:All signs point to Barrett
Alatan wrote:NoJ Barret.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#28 » by King Ken » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:RJ Barrett... this is an easy one.

quoted for posterity.
atlantabbq99 wrote:All signs point to Barrett
Alatan wrote:NoJ Barret.

This thread will get upped after 2020 playoffs. A lot of egg is all I gotta say.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#29 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 am

^the players that are considered true busts won't be for at least 3 yrs. There will be apologists for all of them claiming they needed development etc... this thread won't mean much until 2023 imo.
[unless you get a Fultz situation where Reddish never plays]
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,660

Post#30 » by VanWest82 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:03 am

If I had to bet I’d say it’s more likely Zion has a HOF career than bust but there’s definitely a chance Brandon Clarke winds up a better pro. I still can’t believe that guy fell into the 20s.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#31 » by panthermark » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:53 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Cam easily

I wouldn't call Cam a bust, you can't be a bust at #10.

Its more like if you are selected top 5 and you are not even a starter or playing in China only after a few years, that is a bust.

You can be a bust at #10....but it is way to early to call Cam (or anyone else) a bust. Part of the bust label would depend on who well players to that were drafted after you. Thon Maker sucked...but so did most of the player after him (and before him as well).

Or take Jimmy Fredette...he was a bust at #10, especially compared to who went 9th (Kemba) and 11th (Klay). Kawhi went 15th, Vucevic with 16th, and Tobias went 19th. OUCH.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#32 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:00 pm

VanWest82 wrote:If I had to bet I’d say it’s more likely Zion has a HOF career than bust but there’s definitely a chance Brandon Clarke winds up a better pro. I still can’t believe that guy fell into the 20s.

Clarke is much older though, so it should come as no surprise his level of play right now is higher than a lot of other prospects.
Unless Zion gets an injury bug, the odds Clarke is the better pro long term is about 50:1.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#33 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Stillwater wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:If I had to bet I’d say it’s more likely Zion has a HOF career than bust but there’s definitely a chance Brandon Clarke winds up a better pro. I still can’t believe that guy fell into the 20s.

Clarke is much older though, so it should come as no surprise his level of play right now is higher than a lot of other prospects.
Unless Zion gets an injury bug, the odds Clarke is the better pro long term is about 50:1.

I had Clarke as a top 4 prospect but I seriously doubt he will ever be as good as Zion. Zion floor is so high from the jump and his potential is exceptional. Too high of a mountain to climb.
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#34 » by skiz2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:15 pm

I hate that I am making these predictions because I honestly love the way they play. They play with a ton of heart and toughness, but I am going with Herro and PJ Washington and would love to be proven wrong. The measurables just don’t bode well for them.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#35 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:36 pm

skiz2 wrote:I hate that I am making these predictions because I honestly love the way they play. They play with a ton of heart and toughness, but I am going with Herro and PJ Washington and would love to be proven wrong. The measurables just don’t bode well for them.

Herro has crappy wingspan but not much else looks to be an issue and so i think he will be at minimum a long time nba rotation player
Washington should be good early on, but i get the feeling his ceiling is already capped.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,491

Post#36 » by LofJ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:24 pm

skiz2 wrote:I hate that I am making these predictions because I honestly love the way they play. They play with a ton of heart and toughness, but I am going with Herro and PJ Washington and would love to be proven wrong. The measurables just don’t bode well for them.

It's a good bet than any player drafted by the Hornets will be a bust. But Washington at least has great size/measurables. He's 6'8 with a 7'2.5 wingspan. He's big enough to defend 3-5 depending on matchups.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#37 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:2017 Zach Collins
2016 Thon Maker
2015 Justise Winslow
2014 Elfrid Payton
2013 CJ McCollum
2012 Austin Rivers
2011 Jimmer Fredette
2010 Paul George
2009 Brandon Jennings
2008 Brook Lopez
2007 Spencer Hawes
2006 Saer Sene
Above are all all #10 picks, only 3 out of the 12 are not busts. It is actually very rare to get a quality starter at #10. Majority of 10th picks end up on the bench or out of the league after only 5 years.

Weird way of evaluating picks. Paul George was one of the best draft picks of the past 15 years, McCollum was a huge score, and Lopez was also a terrific find at #10. Those guys aren't just 'not busts,' they're massive successes that alter the franchise's trajectory. And the next round of players are also not 'busts'--Collins is already a solid rotation guy, Winslow is at worst an okay starter, and Payton and Rivers are currently decent rotation guys, and even Jennings and Hawes were legit roster guys (better than replacement for a while) for different teams. The only real 'busts' are Fredette and Sene.
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Post#38 » by Najee12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:46 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:2017 Zach Collins
2016 Thon Maker
2015 Justise Winslow
2014 Elfrid Payton
2013 CJ McCollum
2012 Austin Rivers
2011 Jimmer Fredette
2010 Paul George
2009 Brandon Jennings
2008 Brook Lopez
2007 Spencer Hawes
2006 Saer Sene

Above are all all #10 picks, only 3 out of the 12 are not busts.

I don't believe you know what makes draft pick a "bust" or you just have a bad understanding of the definition.

Paul George is a perennial all-NBA player. C.J. McCollum has been an all-star level player for several years. Brook Lopez has been an all-star and has been high quality starter all of his career. Austin Rivers and Elfrid Payton have become rotational players. Brandon Jennings and Justise Winslow were/are decent starters. Even Spencer Hawes had a 10-year career.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#39 » by kb02 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Relative to where he was drafted? RJ Barrett.

I don't think he'll be a one contract and done type, but I also don't see a star. 10 year, average NBA career. Will make 20 to 30 million. But I just don't see a star. Hope his work ethic proves me wrong.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#40 » by gorz » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:12 am

Ja morant.

Return to NBA Draft