Minutes Rotation

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Minutes Rotation 

Post#61 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Rauxcee wrote:Kind of feel like we need to have 2 of Mutchell, Conley, Ingles, Bojan on the floor at all times offensively. Unless Exum is healthy and is really showing something.

I don't think that will be difficult to do. Question is who are the best pairings? Naturally, having one of Mitchell/Conley and one of Bojan/Ingles makes the most sense. Probably putting one lefty and one righty to make it Mitchell+Ingles and Bojan+Conley.

But if we're using Exum in the bench unit, I like the idea of spacing it out with Ingles+Bojan and giving Exum room to drive to the basket and makes things happen...Until he gets injured and breaks of course.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#62 » by ForeverRDjazz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:Kind of feel like we need to have 2 of Mutchell, Conley, Ingles, Bojan on the floor at all times offensively. Unless Exum is healthy and is really showing something.

I don't think that will be difficult to do. Question is who are the best pairings? Naturally, having one of Mitchell/Conley and one of Bojan/Ingles makes the most sense. Probably putting one lefty and one righty to make it Mitchell+Ingles and Bojan+Conley.

But if we're using Exum in the bench unit, I like the idea of spacing it out with Ingles+Bojan and giving Exum room to drive to the basket and makes things happen...Until he gets injured and breaks of course.

Spacing with Exum will be great, he'll draw a lot of attention driving to the rim for sure and should make for easy Rudy lobs or wide open 3s. I'm betting Conley will be the first one subbed out so really this will become the biggest year in Exum's career. We can hope he'll end up staying healthy this year and if he can? Jazz could become the scariest teams in the league.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#63 » by stitches » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Before we apportion the minutes, I say lets first decide what to do with the roster spots... so, if I'm not missing something those are the players we have under contract right now(well Mudiay, Davis and Green are not finalized, but lets assume they will be)

PG: Mike Conley, Emanuel Mudiay
SG: Donovan Mitchell, Dante Exum
SF: Joe Ingles, Royce O'Neale
PF: Bojan Bogdanovic, Jeff Green, Georges Niang
C: Rudy Gobert, Ed Davis, Tony Bradley

We have 3 roster spots left and about $1,531,732.00 of cap left before we sign the FAs with the exceptions(Mudiay, Green, Davis). We can use the 1.53M to offer a player with 0 or 1 year of experience more than other teams using min-exceptions would be able to. The exception for 0-years experience minimum contract is $898,310 and the exception for 1 year experience minimum contract is $1,445,697. This seems to be the reason we are waiting on signing the last 3 guys. Of course that 1.53M can also go to one of our rookies(this would be money we can spend that go over the minimum we can give a rookie).

The other option is - you know how they invite players to pre-season camp? And some of them have partially guaranteed money for that camp invite. IMO this is the more likely scenario - we are saving part or all of that money to give as bonuses to players we invite to camp.

If we sign another vet free agent to guaranteed contract the above consideration is eliminated.

But yeah... as it stands right now we still have 3 more roster spots and 2 more 2-way contracts to fill. To me it looks likely that at least one of the rookies will make the 15 man roster... and more likely 2 of them actually. And if we don't sign another free agent, maybe even all 3 make it. This is kind of wild.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#64 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:42 pm

stitches wrote:Before we apportion the minutes, I say lets first decide what to do with the roster spots... so, if I'm not missing something those are the players we have under contract right now(well Mudiay, Davis and Green are not finalized, but lets assume they will be)

PG: Mike Conley, Emanuel Mudiay
SG: Donovan Mitchell, Dante Exum
SF: Joe Ingles, Royce O'Neale
PF: Bojan Bogdanovic, Jeff Green, Georges Niang
C: Rudy Gobert, Ed Davis, Tony Bradley

We have 3 roster spots left and about $1,531,732.00 of cap left before we sign the FAs with the exceptions(Mudiay, Green, Davis). We can use the 1.53M to offer a player with 0 or 1 year of experience more than other teams using min-exceptions would be able to. The exception for 0-years experience minimum contract is $898,310 and the exception for 1 year experience minimum contract is $1,445,697. This seems to be the reason we are waiting on signing the last 3 guys. Of course that 1.53M can also go to one of our rookies(this would be money we can spend that go over the minimum we can give a rookie).

The other option is - you know how they invite players to pre-season camp? And some of them have partially guaranteed money for that camp invite. IMO this is the more likely scenario - we are saving part or all of that money to give as bonuses to players we invite to camp.

If we sign another vet free agent to guaranteed contract the above consideration is eliminated.

But yeah... as it stands right now we still have 3 more roster spots and 2 more 2-way contracts to fill. To me it looks likely that at least one of the rookies will make the 15 man roster... and more likely 2 of them actually. And if we don't sign another free agent, maybe even all 3 make it. This is kind of wild.

I'm still holding out hope that we have someone from overseas to use that $1.5M on.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#65 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Nigel Williams Goss is the overseas guy. Makes a lot of sense.

1. Gobert
2. Davis
3. Bradley
4. Green
5. Niang
6. Bogdanovic
7. Ingles
8. O'Neale
9. Mitchell
10. Exum
11. Conley
12. Mudiay
13. NWG

14. Brantley (likely)
15. ???

One real spot and two two-ways left.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#66 » by dr0welf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm

I think Oni and Reed make either a roster spot or 2 way along with Brantley. The last might be the fight at the summer camp invites between those trying to make it.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#67 » by KqWIN » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:18 am

Brantley is the only one worth a real roster spot imo. JWF looked very overwhelmed and had to leave (hope everything is ok), and Oni just looked like a guy to me and I don't mean an NBA guy. He had no special skills or flashes besides making shots in some of the games. Rather let him prove himself as a shooter over a full D-League season.

On the other hand, Brantley showed some real things that you can work with.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#68 » by Tom349 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:02 am

KqWIN wrote:Brantley is the only one worth a real roster spot imo. JWF looked very overwhelmed and had to leave (hope everything is ok), and Oni just looked like a guy to me and I don't mean an NBA guy. He had no special skills or flashes besides making shots in some of the games. Rather let him prove himself as a shooter over a full D-League season.

Disagree on Oni. He looks by far the most likely to be able to carve out an NBA career. Put him in a more structured setting with more reliable playmakers and a scouting report on the oppositions offense and I think he can forge a career being a 3&D guy. We signed Royce O'Neale off the back of averaging 4.6 pts, 3.6 rebounds and 1.5 assist playing New Orleans in summer league and I think like O'Neale that Oni in a more professional setting where he can play to his strengths can be a rotation player at the very least.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#69 » by sipclip » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Tom349 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Brantley is the only one worth a real roster spot imo. JWF looked very overwhelmed and had to leave (hope everything is ok), and Oni just looked like a guy to me and I don't mean an NBA guy. He had no special skills or flashes besides making shots in some of the games. Rather let him prove himself as a shooter over a full D-League season.

Disagree on Oni. He looks by far the most likely to be able to carve out an NBA career. Put him in a more structured setting with more reliable playmakers and a scouting report on the oppositions offense and I think he can forge a career being a 3&D guy. We signed Royce O'Neale off the back of averaging 4.6 pts, 3.6 rebounds and 1.5 assist playing New Orleans in summer league and I think like O'Neale that Oni in a more professional setting where he can play to his strengths can be a rotation player at the very least.
Oni and Brantley at least showed some flashes while Foreman didn't show anything. Should have taken Jalen Lecque with that pick. Oni looked good in some games and disappeared in others. He has NBA size and athleticism but has to develop consistently with his outside shot to have any chance to stick around.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#70 » by KqWIN » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:42 pm

sipclip wrote:
Tom349 wrote:

Oni and Brantley at least showed some flashes while Foreman didn't show anything. Should have taken Jalen Lecque with that pick. Oni looked good in some games and disappeared in others. He has NBA size and athleticism but has to develop consistently with his outside shot to have any chance to stick around.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

That's kind of my rub with him. It was all about whether or not he made shots, and you can't judge a shooter just off of a few summer league games. He was ok on defense, but he didn't show a ton that made me think he's any different from the sea of 6'6 guys in summer league. Let's see how he shoots over a full season of D-League.

Brantley, on the other hand, showed some unique ball handing and shot creation ability that's not typical for a guy his size. Even if he didn't play or shoot well, those were on showcase as something we can work with.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#71 » by Winglish » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:24 pm

I agree with the O.P. that Exum cannot be assigned a spot in the rotation until he proves he can be counted on.

Sent from my SM-G892U using RealGM mobile app
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#72 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 pm

KqWIN wrote:I think it's somewhat likely that by the end of the year, the consensus will be that Royce is a better player than Bojan and he'll be the one closing games.

:crazy:

Winglish wrote:I agree with the O.P. that Exum cannot be assigned a spot in the rotation until he proves he can be counted on.

I'm going to laugh at the complete backflip Exum haters will do if they have to watch even one week of Mudiay playing the backup minutes at PG.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#73 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:40 am

I'm very high on Royce coming into this season. I think his rebounding and defense will be especially valuable with our new roster composition and he won't be in situations where he has to (tries to) make plays off the dribble. Would not surprise me if he comes out of this season as an Ingles/Danny Green tier player.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#74 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 am

KqWIN wrote:I'm very high on Royce coming into this season. I think his rebounding and defense will be especially valuable with our new roster composition and he won't be in situations where he has to (tries to) make plays off the dribble. Would not surprise me if he comes out of this season as an Ingles/Danny Green tier player.

I think Ingles is waaaayyyy better than Danny Green. Can dribble, can distribute, better shooter, not quite as good of a defender, but still a good one. But Bojan is closer to Klay Thompson (on offense) or prime JJ Reddick than he is to Danny Green.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#75 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:57 am

babyjax13 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I'm very high on Royce coming into this season. I think his rebounding and defense will be especially valuable with our new roster composition and he won't be in situations where he has to (tries to) make plays off the dribble. Would not surprise me if he comes out of this season as an Ingles/Danny Green tier player.

I think Ingles is waaaayyyy better than Danny Green. Can dribble, can distribute, better shooter, not quite as good of a defender, but still a good one. But Bojan is closer to Klay Thompson (on offense) or prime JJ Reddick than he is to Danny Green.

Defense is a big deal to me...and I guess I'm saying I prefer the high level 3&D over the strong, 25% usage scorer. Ingles and Green are similar to me, but I also have Ingles ahead. Bojan is a step below imo. He just had a really good career year, if he does it again I'll have him by Ingles tier as a top 50-60 player.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#76 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:15 am

I'll have to think about Bogey's quality a little bit more. I've been pretty low on him, but I can also see the argument that he's the same as Tobias but with worse rebounding and better on ball defense. What do you guys think?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#77 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:53 am

KqWIN wrote:I'll have to think about Bogey's quality a little bit more. I've been pretty low on him, but I can also see the argument that he's the same as Tobias but with worse rebounding and better on ball defense. What do you guys think?

In terms of a "tier" of player, closish. But I also really like Tobias and I have him as better than Blake and an all-star ... so I'm not going quite that far.

I'm expecting something like 17/5/2 from him on elite offensive efficiency with the ability to take over as the first option in some games. I also don't think he's going to be bad defensively ... I've watched more of his games from Indiana and he looks much better than he did early in his career.

I have Bogz and Ingles as about the same level player, depending on what you need. We happen to need scoring, shooting, playmaking, and distributing from our forward depth, so we need both archetypes, but ultimately I think Bogz will be a bit more important. I think you are also projecting a jump from Royce. I don't know what he has in him, I think if he becomes as important as you think he'll kinda be like latish career Igoudala...just does what you need at the time.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#78 » by remi_222 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 pm

KqWIN wrote:Nigel Williams Goss is the overseas guy. Makes a lot of sense.

1. Gobert
2. Davis
3. Bradley
4. Green
5. Niang
6. Bogdanovic
7. Ingles
8. O'Neale
9. Mitchell
10. Exum
11. Conley
12. Mudiay
13. NWG

14. Brantley (likely)
15. ???

One real spot and two two-ways left.

15. William Howard
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#79 » by Winglish » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I think it's somewhat likely that by the end of the year, the consensus will be that Royce is a better player than Bojan and he'll be the one closing games.

:crazy:

Winglish wrote:I agree with the O.P. that Exum cannot be assigned a spot in the rotation until he proves he can be counted on.

I'm going to laugh at the complete backflip Exum haters will do if they have to watch even one week of Mudiay playing the backup minutes at PG.

Run Donovan Mitchell at PG when Conley is out. Nigel Williams-Goss can get the bread crumbs.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#80 » by dr0welf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:51 am

remi_222 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Nigel Williams Goss is the overseas guy. Makes a lot of sense.

1. Gobert
2. Davis
3. Bradley
4. Green
5. Niang
6. Bogdanovic
7. Ingles
8. O'Neale
9. Mitchell
10. Exum
11. Conley
12. Mudiay