ImageImageImage

What is Luke Kennard’s ceiling?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

What is Luke Kennard’s ceiling? 

Post#1 » by Han Solo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:41 pm

With shooting still at an absolute premium in this league, what is Luke Kennard’s ceiling? What is he going to be to this team this upcoming year too?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,755

Re: What is Luke Kennard’s ceiling? 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:47 pm

JJ Reddick
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#3 » by vege » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:49 pm

At the end of his rookie season he was killing it, scoring 20ppg the last 5 games or so, and this season he was excellent during the playoffs, the problem is early in the season he was completely lost and with 0 confidence, so I honestly don't know what to expect from him, if he is the player we've seen at the end of his first 2 seasons, he could be an well above average starter, if he is the full season kennard, he is an below average bench player.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#4 » by El Chivo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Ginobili lite who can't get to the rim
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#5 » by potatoaim » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 pm

vege wrote:At the end of his rookie season he was killing it, scoring 20ppg the last 5 games or so, and this season he was excellent during the playoffs, the problem is early in the season he was completely lost and with 0 confidence, so I honestly don't know what to expect from him, if he is the player we've seen at the end of his first 2 seasons, he could be an well above average starter, if he is the full season kennard, he is an below average bench player.

I wonder how much of his early season problems can be attributed to the offseason knee injury he had. He spent the majority of the offseason rehabbing, which no doubt set him back.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#6 » by edmunder_prc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:40 pm

Unknown, still has so much work to do and needs to keep up his confidence.

He could be a really great player if he put it all together. JJ Reddick plus playmaking. Whoever that is.

Hes not likely to hit that mark just based on how these things go. Few players reach their ceilings.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#7 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:56 pm

potatoaim wrote:
vege wrote:At the end of his rookie season he was killing it, scoring 20ppg the last 5 games or so, and this season he was excellent during the playoffs, the problem is early in the season he was completely lost and with 0 confidence, so I honestly don't know what to expect from him, if he is the player we've seen at the end of his first 2 seasons, he could be an well above average starter, if he is the full season kennard, he is an below average bench player.

I wonder how much of his early season problems can be attributed to the offseason knee injury he had. He spent the majority of the offseason rehabbing, which no doubt set him back.

He also was out with a sprained shoulder right after that too. I'm not worried at all about him. He can be the next Reddick.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#8 » by Spider156 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Snakebites wrote:JJ Reddick

I do like this comparison and it's very good! It tells you Kennard can start for a championship team like Reddick can and that's absolutely worth paying for. For me personally though I see Kennard having better handles than Reddick. I can see him being more of a ball handler. I think for Kennard it's just a matter of getting stronger from now on. I think he's got a great 1-2 dribble and elbow shot. He's great coming off the screen and spot up shooting. Only thing I don't see him doing is playing the pick and roll, I don't believe he'll have the first step needed to beat the best guard defenders in the pick and roll and of course iso ball. Kennard can be a 3rd option offensively for a contending team. I believe the only thing keeping him away from reaching his potential is strength and he's shown he can keep up in the Playoffs so there's no big issue from what I can see. Only question is can he become Dragic or Ginobli? Probably not. Ball handling is the hardest thing to do in the league next to shooting. There are more shooters than ball handlers...
Defense wins championships
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#9 » by Neptune » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Trade bait! Not a bit of Piston blood in him.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#10 » by mattao313 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 pm

I dont really see the Reddick comparison. I think he could be a 15pt scorer in the right situation though. I think he is closer to Marco Belinelli in play style.
Championships
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#11 » by Spider156 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:39 pm

mattao313 wrote:I dont really see the Reddick comparison. I think he could be a 15pt scorer in the right situation though. I think he is closer to Marco Belinelli in play style.

I like that comparison too. Belinelli can be a starter on a contending team too. I definitely think we should keep Kennard here.
Defense wins championships
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Post#12 » by King Bugs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:18 am

When we drafted Kennard, I was hoping he'd be something like Chandler Parsons before his knees went out.

Since he's content with being in the background, Luke's ceiling is likely "situational 3 point shooting bench player". He's swaggerless, he doesn't carry himself in a way that makes me feel that he wants to be great.

I just don't see it for him.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#13 » by thesack12 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:26 am

Not high.

Kennard scored 5 points or less in 22 out of the 63 games he played last season. So 1/3 of the time, he contributed next to nothing. His shooting percentages came down across the board last season. He's also allergic to drawing fouls and getting to the free throw line.

Luke Kennard is a more decorated Anthony Morrow.

Return to Detroit Pistons