ImageImageImage

The Detroit Tigers are doing what the Pistons should be doing.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

The Detroit Tigers are doing what the Pistons should be doing. 

Post#1 » by Han Solo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 am

Tigers are legit tearing it down the right way. If they trade Boyd, Greene, and Castellanos before the deadline, our farm will be as legit as it’s ever been.

Pistons need to tear it down too. Trade everyone and start a youth movement and get some future first round picks. Blake would get us a haul this year. Hopefully he’s moved in season if we are mediocre. Because you know they won’t do it yet. I really do think his game is going to age well. Last year really did a lot for his value around the league.
GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,246

Re: The Detroit Tigers are doing what the Pistons should be doing. 

Post#2 » by GreekAlex » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:00 am

Don’t tell me that you want to find the “NBA’s Al Avila”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#3 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:12 am

Well Ed Stefanski could be the NBA equivalent to scrub ass Al Avila. Maybe if the Tigers brought in somebody from Houston FO to do the tear down and total rebuild I might be excited. Avila was an internal promotion because Ilitches are too cheap to make the necessary changes and hire. Dombrowski has to go, but hey let's just promote up his second in command.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#4 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:23 am

Just hire Hinkie already.

Ship Blake out for as many expirings or 2 year deals as required as long as you get a haul of picks.

Do the same with Dre if you can.

Flip RJ & Galloway for 2 year deals and a pick if you can.

Go into the off-season looking for bargain deals around Sekou, Svi, Siri, Luke, Brown, Thomas & Bone

Somehow I doubt Kieff & DRose signed here thinking we'd rip it down though

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#5 » by Laimbeer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 pm

If you think the Tigers are stockpiling young talent just because they're so bad, I've got news for you. The young players on the team now aren't good and the farm system is still fairly thin.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Laimbeer wrote:If you think the Tigers are stockpiling young talent just because they're so bad, I've got news for you. The young players on the team now aren't good and the farm system is still fairly thin.

Yeah.

They've tried, but the problem is that in baseball it takes years for players to be able to be on the major league roster after they've been drafted, and right up until a couple of years ago Dave D was still stripping our farm system bare every year to get win now talent, and giving up draft choices to sign players.

Our farm system has gone from being the absolute worst in the league by a frighteningly wide margin to being slightly below average in the last couple of years, but it's going to take longer. Another couple years to have a decent system, then if all goes well a bit of time after that before it starts showing up on the big league club. You draft an 18 year old kid in the hopes they're in the majors within a few years, and sometimes it takes longer than that for them to actually become an impactful star unless you draft a phenom like Mike Trout or someone a bit older. Verlander became a rookie of the year for us within 2 years of being drafted. Fernando Tatis Jr. is tearing up the league as a 20 year old rookie. But it usually takes longer.

We were set up for a LONG rebuild a long time ago. I knew it at the time, and we'll still be paying the bill for a while. It takes time to build up the farm system, then time from that for it to actually translate to the club. The teams that do a good job staying good are the teams that maintain a good farm system so they have good players coming in as others are aging out or leaving for other teams.

How long a rebuild? The Cubs were bad for a solid 5 years before building the roster that would ultimately take a World Series. That's the sort of long haul we're looking at, but it looks like we're not as good at it as Theo Epstein, plus they didn't start with a completely barren farm system like we did.

I believe they are currently doing the right thing for the team, but it's going to take some time before the results start showing up on the field. Quite a bit of time.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#7 » by Han Solo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:49 pm

I disagree with you guys about not having much talent on the farm. Avila isn’t great, but we do have some talent down there.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Han Solo wrote:I disagree with you guys about not having much talent on the farm. Avila isn’t great, but we do have some talent down there.

We do, but it's still not an above average farm system. I'd say average to a little below. Very little position player talent. Which is fine, the last couple of years we've wisely been taking the best talent available and it's been mostly pitching.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#9 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:40 pm

Guys are just wasting your breath. I reckon we have to listen to tanking whiners for a couple more years. And, if the Pistons never tank the way those whiners want them to, just more whining! Lets put it this way, the Pistons will never be a bottom 5 team in the NBA. So, why whine about it constantly.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#10 » by Manocad » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Guys are just wasting your breath. I reckon we have to listen to tanking whiners for a couple more years. And, if the Pistons never tank the way those whiners want them to, just more whining! Lets put it this way, the Pistons will never be a bottom 5 team in the NBA. So, why whine about it constantly.

Nice straw man you've built there. Does he have a name?
:lol:
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#11 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:05 am

Manocad wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Guys are just wasting your breath. I reckon we have to listen to tanking whiners for a couple more years. And, if the Pistons never tank the way those whiners want them to, just more whining! Lets put it this way, the Pistons will never be a bottom 5 team in the NBA. So, why whine about it constantly.

Nice straw man you've built there. Does he have a name?
:lol:

Canomad

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#12 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 am

Being a bottom 5 team doesn't mean you'll get to Draft the best of the best though.

Heaps of big time busts go top 5, top 10, top 15.

Heaps of big time players go top 5, top 10, top 15.

There's more to it than just picking a kid in the top 5

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 am

Pharaoh wrote:Being a bottom 5 team doesn't mean you'll get to Draft the best of the best though.

Heaps of big time busts go top 5, top 10, top 15.

Heaps of big time players go top 5, top 10, top 15.

There's more to it than just picking a kid in the top 5

There are never any guarantees no matter what we try. Top 5 picks have better odds though.

Return to Detroit Pistons