ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 13,769
And1: 5,231
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#321 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:46 am

Hachimura isn't exactly fleet on his feet but he's not nearly as lead footed as Howard.
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,417
And1: 1,579
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#322 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:26 am

queridiculo wrote:Hachimura isn't exactly fleet on his feet but he's not nearly as lead footed as Howard.


And Juwan was a fundamentally sound rebounder.


I still like the knock-off Melo comparison. With a bit more “try-hard” on defense. Similar size. Similar FIBA game. Similar midrange, which makes sense since Rui learned his game from watching Melo on video he says. So his game is 75% Melo, 25% Gonzaga Big Man school.

But now he’s trying to graft on some defense after the fact. We will see how that works.
User avatar
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,598
And1: 793
Joined: Dec 08, 2009

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#323 » by dangermouse » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 am

Whoever said Japanese Paul Pierce is on the money imo

Japanese import version of Paul Pierce who plays PF
Image
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract


Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,248
And1: 5,383
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#324 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:57 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
jangles86 wrote:I really like the Grant Hill comparison....Noones made it yet but when they do I’ll really like it.




I don't see the Grant Hill. Trying to think of a good comp.... Maybe Juwan Howard ?


Howard isn't a perfect comp, but it's probably the best comp in the thread. He's not as good a rebounder as Howard, but he goes to the basket stronger.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,254
And1: 8,448
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#325 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:43 pm

I think Rui is a better more quick-footed than Howard, and he has a better wingspan. Defensively, it will allow him to be more of a ball hawk and shot blocker on defense than Howard ever was. Howard was stronger and a position defender and rebounder, but not a shot blocker.

Offensively, the Howard comparison is really good. I think Rui has a bit more SF skills in his game - a bit better of a faceup game and a better handle in the open court. Howard looks a lot like Gonzaga Rui, but not as much like FIBA Rui.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,885
And1: 3,796
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#326 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
Shoe
Senior
Posts: 728
And1: 601
Joined: Nov 06, 2017
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#327 » by Shoe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:12 pm

This franchise needs Rui to be good. It was easy for the Spurs to build a culture of inconspicuousness and unselfishness when their best player was Tim Duncan. Wizards need to embrace that identity of low key personality, professionalism and it depends on Rui and Troy Brown being good enough on the court to be credible leaders. I like Wall's competitive spirit, but sometimes you just need the best player/ guy with the biggest paycheck to not get too high or too low.
Najee12
Senior
Posts: 665
And1: 414
Joined: May 18, 2015
       

Rui Hachimura comparison 

Post#328 » by Najee12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:34 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
jangles86 wrote:I really like the Grant Hill comparison....Noones made it yet but when they do I’ll really like it.


I don't see the Grant Hill. Trying to think of a good comp.... Maybe Juwan Howard ?


Rui Hachimura certainly is not comparable to Grant Hill (small forward with elite one-on-one skills, triple-double threat). Hachimura is more versatile than Juwan Howard (a classic 1990s post-up power forward who could play only that one position). He has the potential to play both small forward and power forward.

Hachimura is not as gifted as a scorer as Carmelo Anthony was; I believe Hachimura is bigger than Anthony was at this stage of their careers (Anthony got bigger in his New York days). Probably a better comparison to me is pre-knee injury Terry Cummings:



Cummings was a combination forward with a good jump shot, solid post game, a solid defender and rebounder. I don't see Hachimura putting up as high scoring averages as Cummings did coming into the NBA, but I can see him becoming a consistent player with Cumming's upside.

Another comparison I can see with Hachimura is with former Indiana Pacers forward (and current CBS commentator) Clark Kellogg, who also was a big forward who could play inside and outside. Like Cummings, knee injuries derailed Kellogg's career.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,248
And1: 5,383
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Rui Hachimura comparison 

Post#329 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:54 am

Najee12 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
jangles86 wrote:I really like the Grant Hill comparison....Noones made it yet but when they do I’ll really like it.


I don't see the Grant Hill. Trying to think of a good comp.... Maybe Juwan Howard ?


Rui Hachimura certainly is not comparable to Grant Hill (small forward with elite one-on-one skills, triple-double threat). Hachimura is more versatile than Juwan Howard (a classic 1990s post-up power forward who could play only that one position). He has the potential to play both small forward and power forward.

Hachimura is not as gifted as a scorer as Carmelo Anthony was; I believe Hachimura is bigger than Anthony was at this stage of their careers (Anthony got bigger in his New York days). Probably a better comparison to me is pre-knee injury Terry Cummings:



Cummings was a combination forward with a good jump shot, solid post game, a solid defender and rebounder. I don't see Hachimura putting up as high scoring averages as Cummings did coming into the NBA, but I can see him becoming a consistent player with Cumming's upside.

Another comparison I can see with Hachimura is with former Indiana Pacers forward (and current CBS commentator) Clark Kellogg, who also was a big forward who could play inside and outside. Like Cummings, knee injuries derailed Kellogg's career.

Cummings was a classic old school PF. I would not call him a combo forward. If he played in today's NBA, he'd probably be a smallball center.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,417
And1: 1,579
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Rui Hachimura comparison 

Post#330 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Najee12 wrote:Hachimura is not as gifted as a scorer as Carmelo Anthony was; I believe Hachimura is bigger than Anthony was at this stage of their careers (Anthony got bigger in his New York days).


Well no doubt. Few are as gifted a scorer as Melo. Why I said a discount Melo. But you can see how He has patterned his game after him, as he claims to have done. The fadey jumper. The mid range moves. Spins in traffic.

(Check ~1:40 of this Nuggets Melo mix for a spin that it looks like Rui must have rewound hundreds of times)

https://youtu.be/wWgR24anrY4

He doesn’t have the fake jab step that Melo developed in NY and came to rely too much on. But he has the aggression of the Nuggets era Melo on mixtapes.

And FIBA Hachimura looks like he wants to be Olympic Melo.

As for body size. They’re pretty close. Melo played always at around 6’8” 240lbs with a 7’ wingspan. Hachimura is 6’8” 234lbs with a 7’2” wingspan.


The hopeful sign to me is the evidence of Hachimura being a quick study. He claims to have learned how he does by patterning his game after internet videos of Carmelo. And in his pre Gonzaga FIBA game he already had those moves.

I wouldn’t say Melo is the best guy to continue to imitate. But I like that he can process and input information from study. Translate video into physical practice. It’s a hopeful sign. In Summerleague they talked about how they were teaching him NOT to fadevon his jumper. And in his 25pt game you could see he was going up with better balance and a stable base.
Najee12
Senior
Posts: 665
And1: 414
Joined: May 18, 2015
       

Terry Cummings 

Post#331 » by Najee12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:Cummings was a classic old school PF. I would not call him a combo forward. If he played in today's NBA, he'd probably be a smallball center.


Terry Cummings played both small forward and power forward with the Los Angeles Clippers and Milwaukee (I did watch TC play both at DePaul and the NBA). He became exclusively a power forward when he went to San Antonio when the team started Sean Elliott at small forward.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 16,955
And1: 2,871
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#332 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:24 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/7/16/20689944/nba-summer-league-rookies-brandon-clarke-grizzlies-jaxson-hayes-pelicans-rj-barrett-rui-hachimura

9. Rui Hachimura, F, Washington Wizards


Rui Hachimura, the Japanese star for Gonzaga, explained
Hachimura scored at Gonzaga and he scored again in summer league, averaging 19.3 points per game on 59 percent true shooting over three games in Vegas. Hachimura does his best work from mid-range, showing soft touch on his jumper out to 18-feet while also having the strength to create separation and finish through contact. He played one of the best games of any rookie in summer league, finishing with 25 points and nine rebounds on 9-of-12 shooting against the Hawks.


The question with Hachimura is what he brings to the table outside of scoring. He had only two assists through 95 minutes in Vegas, failing to leverage his scoring ability to make his teammates better. He also didn’t provide much resistance defensively, struggling with his rotations and getting only one steal (it’s worth noting he did have five blocks). Hachimura is talented enough to put up numbers as a rookie on what’s likely to be a miserable Wizards team, but his impact on winning remains a major question mark until he improves as a passer and defender.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,254
And1: 8,448
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#333 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:44 pm

80sballboy wrote:https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/7/16/20689944/nba-summer-league-rookies-brandon-clarke-grizzlies-jaxson-hayes-pelicans-rj-barrett-rui-hachimura

9. Rui Hachimura, F, Washington Wizards


Rui Hachimura, the Japanese star for Gonzaga, explained
Hachimura scored at Gonzaga and he scored again in summer league, averaging 19.3 points per game on 59 percent true shooting over three games in Vegas. Hachimura does his best work from mid-range, showing soft touch on his jumper out to 18-feet while also having the strength to create separation and finish through contact. He played one of the best games of any rookie in summer league, finishing with 25 points and nine rebounds on 9-of-12 shooting against the Hawks.


The question with Hachimura is what he brings to the table outside of scoring. He had only two assists through 95 minutes in Vegas, failing to leverage his scoring ability to make his teammates better. He also didn’t provide much resistance defensively, struggling with his rotations and getting only one steal (it’s worth noting he did have five blocks). Hachimura is talented enough to put up numbers as a rookie on what’s likely to be a miserable Wizards team, but his impact on winning remains a major question mark until he improves as a passer and defender.

Did he watch the games or just read the stat sheet?

I thought Rui was pretty good defensively.
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 16,955
And1: 2,871
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#334 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:36 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/7/16/20689944/nba-summer-league-rookies-brandon-clarke-grizzlies-jaxson-hayes-pelicans-rj-barrett-rui-hachimura

9. Rui Hachimura, F, Washington Wizards


Rui Hachimura, the Japanese star for Gonzaga, explained
Hachimura scored at Gonzaga and he scored again in summer league, averaging 19.3 points per game on 59 percent true shooting over three games in Vegas. Hachimura does his best work from mid-range, showing soft touch on his jumper out to 18-feet while also having the strength to create separation and finish through contact. He played one of the best games of any rookie in summer league, finishing with 25 points and nine rebounds on 9-of-12 shooting against the Hawks.


The question with Hachimura is what he brings to the table outside of scoring. He had only two assists through 95 minutes in Vegas, failing to leverage his scoring ability to make his teammates better. He also didn’t provide much resistance defensively, struggling with his rotations and getting only one steal (it’s worth noting he did have five blocks). Hachimura is talented enough to put up numbers as a rookie on what’s likely to be a miserable Wizards team, but his impact on winning remains a major question mark until he improves as a passer and defender.

Did he watch the games or just read the stat sheet?

I thought Rui was pretty good defensively.


Typical metric-head, probably just watched one game early where he struggled defensively. He wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as he looked at times in college. Now the assists are another story. :D
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,248
And1: 5,383
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Terry Cummings 

Post#335 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Najee12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Cummings was a classic old school PF. I would not call him a combo forward. If he played in today's NBA, he'd probably be a smallball center.


Terry Cummings played both small forward and power forward with the Los Angeles Clippers and Milwaukee (I did watch TC play both at DePaul and the NBA). He became exclusively a power forward when he went to San Antonio when the team started Sean Elliott at small forward.

Sorry, but I'm a Bucks fan from the days of Lew Alcindor, and I remember this really well. I was very excited about the trade because they NEEDED a power player - as Bob Lanier retired. They traded star SF Marques Johnson, because they needed a big PF; not a SF. They also included swingman Junior Bridgeman and backup C Harvey Catchings in the deal, because bigs were considered much more valuable then. Cummings was never a SF for Milwaukee. The reason they made the trade was because they needed a big. And the trade worked - they had good years with Cummings - he was easily their best big for most of his time in Milwaukee.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 16,955
And1: 2,871
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Terry Cummings 

Post#336 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Najee12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Cummings was a classic old school PF. I would not call him a combo forward. If he played in today's NBA, he'd probably be a smallball center.


Terry Cummings played both small forward and power forward with the Los Angeles Clippers and Milwaukee (I did watch TC play both at DePaul and the NBA). He became exclusively a power forward when he went to San Antonio when the team started Sean Elliott at small forward.

Sorry, but I'm a Bucks fan from the days of Lew Alcindor, and I remember this really well. I was very excited about the trade because they NEEDED a power player - as Bob Lanier retired. They traded star SF Marques Johnson, because they needed a big PF; not a SF. They also included swingman Junior Bridgeman and backup C Harvey Catchings in the deal, because bigs were considered much more valuable then. Cummings was never a SF for Milwaukee. The reason they made the trade was because they needed a big. And the trade worked - they had good years with Cummings - he was easily their best big for most of his time in Milwaukee.


I remember Cummings as just a very good forward who could shoot it well. Power forward's body but I wouldn't say he was traditional at the time like a Paul Silas, Big E, Mailman, or Maurice Lucas. In 1987-88, Randy Breuer and Jack Sikma started up front, so sure, Cummings played small forward by default.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cummite01.html
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,233
And1: 3,822
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#337 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:26 pm

80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/7/16/20689944/nba-summer-league-rookies-brandon-clarke-grizzlies-jaxson-hayes-pelicans-rj-barrett-rui-hachimura


Did he watch the games or just read the stat sheet?

I thought Rui was pretty good defensively.


Typical metric-head, probably just watched one game early where he struggled defensively. He wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as he looked at times in college. Now the assists are another story. :D

Absolutely. Guy doesn't say what you want him to say, take care of it by calling him a name.

Most of what he says about players in the whole article seems pretty much correct & perceptive. He did put Rui at the 9th best rookie showing in the SL.

Rui Hachimura did have a pretty good SL, & he is a promising prospect. I look forward to watching him. I'll be interested to see whether he develops much & at what pace he develops. I'm not sure what good can be done by mixing up batch after batch of Kool Aid on this board & serving it to each other.

Notice who was the best SL performer according to this article. You wouldn't rather have him, would you? Or how about the 2d best? Ditto through the first 8 -- for one reason or another, & any reason will do, Rui is preferable to any of them, right? :)
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
DCZards
Head Coach
Posts: 7,459
And1: 1,955
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Location: The Streets of DC

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#338 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 pm

payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:Did he watch the games or just read the stat sheet?

I thought Rui was pretty good defensively.


Typical metric-head, probably just watched one game early where he struggled defensively. He wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as he looked at times in college. Now the assists are another story. :D

Absolutely. Guy doesn't say what you want him to say, take care of it by calling him a name.

Most of what he says about players in the whole article seems pretty much correct & perceptive. He did put Rui at the 9th best rookie showing in the SL.

Rui Hachimura did have a pretty good SL, & he is a promising prospect. I look forward to watching him. I'll be interested to see whether he develops much & at what pace he develops. I'm not sure what good can be done by mixing up batch after batch of Kool Aid on this board & serving it to each other.

Notice who was the best SL performer according to this article. You wouldn't rather have him, would you? Or how about the 2d best? Ditto through the first 8 -- for one reason or another, & any reason will do, Rui is preferable to any of them, right? :)


Brandon Clarke had an awesome summer league. I knew about his effort, rebounding and shotblocking, but he also shot the ball better than I expected.

Hamichura had a very good SL as well. He showed the offensive confidence and versatility that probably helped lead to him being the 9th pick in the draft.

I don't think you can say for sure at this point whether Clarke or Rui is the better prospect or which one you would rather have on your roster going forward. You certainly can't base anything on a handful of summer league games. Afterall, Glen Rice Jr. was the unanimous MVP of the 2014 SL.
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,554
And1: 7,896
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#339 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Typical metric-head, probably just watched one game early where he struggled defensively. He wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as he looked at times in college. Now the assists are another story. :D

Absolutely. Guy doesn't say what you want him to say, take care of it by calling him a name.

Most of what he says about players in the whole article seems pretty much correct & perceptive. He did put Rui at the 9th best rookie showing in the SL.

Rui Hachimura did have a pretty good SL, & he is a promising prospect. I look forward to watching him. I'll be interested to see whether he develops much & at what pace he develops. I'm not sure what good can be done by mixing up batch after batch of Kool Aid on this board & serving it to each other.

Notice who was the best SL performer according to this article. You wouldn't rather have him, would you? Or how about the 2d best? Ditto through the first 8 -- for one reason or another, & any reason will do, Rui is preferable to any of them, right? :)


Brandon Clarke had an awesome summer league. I knew about his effort, rebounding and shotblocking, but he also shot the ball better than I expected.

Hamichura had a very good SL as well. He showed the offensive confidence and versatility that probably helped lead to him being the 9th pick in the draft.

I don't think you can say for sure at this point whether Clarke or Rui is the better prospect or which one you would rather have on your roster going forward. You certainly can't base anything on a handful of summer league games. Afterall, Glen Rice Jr. was the unanimous MVP of the 2014 SL.

Past SL MVP winners:

Image

Obviously this isn’t really indicative of anything . But it’s interesting to note that Glen Rice Jr , Josh Hart, and Brandon Clarke were all 23yo and among the oldest 1st-2nd yr players in summer league in their campaigns.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,664
And1: 2,559
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#340 » by closg00 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:13 pm

Congrats to Rui
Read on Twitter
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.

Return to Washington Wizards