ImageImageImage

BOOM SMITH MARKET

Moderator: ijspeelman

What offers seems like the Cavs end sum from Smiths grandfathered deal in a trade

Future lottery protected first,2019 high 2nd, 1 badly injured fringe starter,1 rotation level vet both w/ 2020 expiring's
11%
2019 late first and a rotation player in his prime on a 3+ yr deal
No votes
2019 lottery pick,& end of prime overpaid vet under contract w/ player option 2022
22%
Rookie scale project player of interest ,mid 2nd & 2 rotation level vets w/ 2021 expiring's
No votes
Multiple 2019 2nds and multiple past their prime players w/ 2020 team options or expiring's
No votes
2019 pick 15-20 range ,starter wage but 2nd unit level player under contract 3+ yrs + 2020 expiring fillers
33%
2019 high 2nd,1 under 25 player who has under performed needs new team/2020 expiring fillers
No votes
Something more
11%
Something less
11%
other
11%

Total votes: 9

gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Re: BOOM SMITH MARKET 

Post#41 » by gflem » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:30 pm

Sonofabitch. Two freakin #1s to ATL for cap space? If the Cavs are asleep at the wheel due to Gilbert's health issues......
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#42 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:32 am

gflem wrote:Sonofabitch. Two freakin #1s to ATL for cap space? If the Cavs are asleep at the wheel due to Gilbert's health issues......

Nets overpaid... but Nets did get a useable player and create the space they needed which the Cavs were not offering.
Smith is strictly for cap savings. So if they were in talks with the Nets or were not they did or would have got outbid by ATL's offer here.
I don't see it as indication of idle hands due to Gilbert's absence at all.
There are still 3-4 teams that are looking for that extra fa space that will take on Smith for savings and if they get into a bidding war OKC at 21 roberson/filler , ORL at 16 for 1 yr Mozgov and Miami at 13 1 yr possibly 2 with PO James Johnson.

I think Miami really wants this and don't give up anyone they need sending JJ and could go after Jimmi Butler if they can get Goran to do a s/t to Utah or renounce his PO.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#43 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:32 am

gflem wrote:Sonofabitch. Two freakin #1s to ATL for cap space? If the Cavs are asleep at the wheel due to Gilbert's health issues......

Well the ATL trade gave like 2 extra mil in cap space I think as well as an actual prospect in Prince. Granted based on this trade if a team is looking to be players in FA this year, the Nets just set the market for how much it will cost.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,089

Post#44 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:22 pm

orlando would absolutely be pleased to offer Moz & 16 for JR Smith...
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#45 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:50 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:orlando would absolutely be pleased to offer Moz & 16 for JR Smith...

I think it definitely will be considered and put out there as further incentive for Miami to give up the 13 with salary dump locations drying up for the most part , But unless somebody like Sekou,Bol or Goga are still on the board at 13 where Cavs would rather eat JJ's deal for 1 yr (2 yrs if he uses is PO) for 3 picks higher I think the Cavs would rather bring Moz home so to speak for a season even though they are overloaded with expiring bigs in 2020. I think they will move Henson and or Thompson at the dl as well so having Moz on the roster isn't redundant if enough prospects they could grab at 16 are high enough on their board.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Hope Koby gets something for Smith...I didn't expect it all year for nothing
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#47 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 am

should be interesting what they ultimately do, today... he will most likely be cut paid his partial and they held onto him for nothing... but if there is any weight to Butler Miami, that could be on the table, and there are a few others who after fa officially being started at 6pm today could make a last minute deal to acquire Smith and immediately cut him although i expect it should be difficult.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#49 » by Richfield » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:01 am

I wonder if they pushed it back too far.

All the big name FA's are signing now. The urgency to clear cap space is now. I see pushing it past July 1st, but a month past seems to give teams too much time. Maybe having a deadline on it at all is not desirable, but it seems like the last chance to get JR's cap space just got extended, and therefore less valuable. I think this increases the chances of trade, but lowers the urgency and therefore value teams will offer for him. Give them too much time to find other options or decide against it.

Hefty price too. I bet he would have done it for less, has nothing to lose. But I'm probably being overly critical.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#50 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:15 am

Richfield wrote:I wonder if they pushed it back too far.

All the big name FA's are signing now. The urgency to clear cap space is now. I see pushing it past July 1st, but a month past seems to give teams too much time. Maybe having a deadline on it at all is not desirable, but it seems like the last chance to get JR's cap space just got extended, and therefore less valuable. I think this increases the chances of trade, but lowers the urgency and therefore value teams will offer for him. Give them too much time to find other options or decide against it.

Hefty price too. I bet he would have done it for less, has nothing to lose. But I'm probably being overly critical.

I think they were all but settled on just waiving him and avoiding the tax since they got KPJ without going into it...
Extending the window lets them talk with teams into tomorrow and maybe 1 more day after that to help facilitate fa signings.
After that it will be basically worthless.
But the key is whomever trades for him does not have to immediately waive him before midnight
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by Richfield » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:01 am

Ive thought about it and I'm probably wrong. Cats having more time with that contract condition can only be good. Just a pretty penny to pay if nothing comes from it. But this price also makes me think they know something or have been active on the phones so thats good too i think.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#52 » by gflem » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:29 pm

Richfield wrote:Ive thought about it and I'm probably wrong. Cats having more time with that contract condition can only be good. Just a pretty penny to pay if nothing comes from it. But this price also makes me think they know something or have been active on the phones so thats good too i think.

Half a mil is chump change in the NBA. But yeah, it is a good thing that i was extended. It shows me that they are actively trying to get something for it, and that they are still on good enough terms with JR that he would agree ( for a free half mil he should). I dont think it diminishes the return much either way, time or the money. If anything it gives the Cavs more time to move TT or someone else to help keep the team under the lux tax line if/when they do move JR's contract.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#53 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:08 pm

At this point I am not sold they trade him at all. gotta be drying up with ops for a decent return.
of course you watch as soon as I say this they will deal him.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by Richfield » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:53 pm

What's the market status on JR right now?

Any chance / scenario where he'd be involved when CP3 gets moved, if he gets moved?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#55 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Richfield wrote:What's the market status on JR right now?

Any chance / scenario where he'd be involved when CP3 gets moved, if he gets moved?

my gut tells me OKC is calling, but I'm not sold he is getting traded at this point barring Cavs getting a decent draft pick from OKC;
with the extension running out unless they extend it further he is getting cut in the next couple days if not traded.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#56 » by Richfield » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

For the record

Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#57 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm

^ Yeah unless they actually do have a trade lined up there is really no point in extending it past today. I mean pushing it another 15 days isn't opening up much in the way of interest at this juncture and lessens his trade value.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by Richfield » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Last call. Call the Cavs today/now if you want the contract..

Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#59 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:27 pm

yeah the main reason to extend it was to allow easier timelines if traded at the start of free agency. after that first few days past the odds they would waive him increased ten fold and the fact they stood pat suggests all teams wanted to do was dump terrible long contracts and still were not offering accurate compensation for cle to justify staying in the tax and having to get out of it before the dl.
tough beans given it would have been nice to grab Okeke or Okpala or a future
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,983

Post#60 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm fine with this result. No trade is better than a bad trade. We've got $58M in expiring contracts. Sit back and wait for other teams to call once their off-season expectations don't match their on-the-court results. Cavs traded with a gun to their heads for 4 years while contending. It will be nice to be the team that can sit back and do nothing unless we get the generous offers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers