Tatum for Siakam

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, pacers33granger, Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, Texas Chuck, HartfordWhalers

User avatar
Laimbeer
RealGM
Posts: 31,176
And1: 8,717
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: Cabin Creek

Tatum for Siakam 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Small filler may be needed. Comments on the value are welcome, I think it's reasonably close.

This eases the Tatum/Brown/Hayward/Smart glut while filling the four.

Tatum perhaps has the greater potential to break into the Batman type player Toronto needs.
User avatar
TGW
General Manager
Posts: 9,308
And1: 3,215
Joined: Oct 22, 2010

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#2 » by TGW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Toronto would say no. They have several fill-ins they can use to fill the gap temporarily at small forward. They have no backup for Siakam.
Soulyss
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,728
And1: 1,834
Joined: Feb 21, 2008
   

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#3 » by Soulyss » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Siakam is a superior player right now, I don't know why Toronto would consider this.
User avatar
CallMeKahn
Pro Prospect
Posts: 967
And1: 640
Joined: Feb 17, 2013
   

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#4 » by CallMeKahn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Toronto will build around Siakam and go from there, so the Raps say no. I honestly think the C's are better off shipping Hayward or someone else.
Jiminy Glick wrote:Ball is more valuable than Paul. He will improve drastically next season.

:o
Eskobar13
Starter
Posts: 2,023
And1: 1,315
Joined: Jan 02, 2018
   

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#5 » by Eskobar13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Yeah I think this needs more than small filler right now. At least a low-protected 1st. Maybe even the Memphis first with some added protections (they can do that, right?).
User avatar
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 21,325
And1: 23,195
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
   

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#6 » by Duffman100 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Celtics fans are going to lose their mind that they have to add value to this deal.
rugbyrugger23
General Manager
Posts: 8,127
And1: 950
Joined: Jun 07, 2011

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#7 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Interesting idea. I think Celtics add a pick -- maybe 2. And/or a Powell for Williams (or Langford) swap.
User avatar
CoachD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,658
And1: 3,896
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
     

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#8 » by CoachD » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Guys like Siakam are beyond rare.

At BEST this is a lateral move for Toronto. It makes no sense
Image
NoZoLakers
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,682
And1: 1,782
Joined: May 20, 2017

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#9 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:22 pm

If I'm Bos I'd rather stick with Tatum and see what he turns out to be this season w/o Irving around, Siakiam isn't going to their missing piece anyways and he's going to want to big $ next off-season, at 25/26 ish, I wouldn't feel good about maxing him out with a team that isn't truly a contender
Karmaloop
Head Coach
Posts: 6,731
And1: 592
Joined: Sep 24, 2009
       

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#10 » by Karmaloop » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

I think both sides say no.
MoneyTalks41890
RealGM
Posts: 15,909
And1: 7,198
Joined: Oct 13, 2009
 

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

I'd say on value it's pretty close. Which probably means both teams like their guy better and don't make a move. Interesting, though.
CsBsSoxPhins
Head Coach
Posts: 6,219
And1: 1,731
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
     

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#12 » by CsBsSoxPhins » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Man people are really sleeping on Tatum. Siakam is really good & even the better player right now, but he's also four years old, so I mean, I would hope he's the better player. Tatum's rookie season beats out either of Siakam's first two years in the NBA.
Image
User avatar
CoachD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,658
And1: 3,896
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
     

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#13 » by CoachD » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:34 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Man people are really sleeping on Tatum. Siakam is really good & even the better player right now, but he's also four years old, so I mean, I would hope he's the better player. Tatum's rookie season beats out either of Siakam's first two years in the NBA.



Tatum started played basketball when he was 6
Siakam started playing organized ball at 16, just before his 17th birthday.

So please don't bring the "well he's 4 years older he should be better"
Image
Magic_Johnny12
General Manager
Posts: 8,870
And1: 6,398
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Contact:
       

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#14 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Tatum doesn’t have this kind of value (anymore), the Memphis pick would definitely need to be included.

And even if the Memphis pick was included for value sake, Toronto still declines as they value Siakam much much higher.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
User avatar
Troubadour
RealGM
Posts: 12,431
And1: 7,036
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#15 » by Troubadour » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:06 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Man people are really sleeping on Tatum. Siakam is really good & even the better player right now, but he's also four years old, so I mean, I would hope he's the better player. Tatum's rookie season beats out either of Siakam's first two years in the NBA.


That means he has another 30 years left in his prime!
User avatar
CallMeKahn
Pro Prospect
Posts: 967
And1: 640
Joined: Feb 17, 2013
   

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#16 » by CallMeKahn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Tatum doesn’t have this kind of value (anymore), the Memphis pick would definitely need to be included.

And even if the Memphis pick was included for value sake, Toronto still declines as they value Siakam much much higher.


Agreed, though I don't think the Memphis pick inclusion is overvalue in this scenario. Tatum doesn't suck.

Admittedly, I don't know Siakam's ceiling, but the Raps will probably go into Jazz mode immediate post-Hayward. Siakam will get the reins and they'll see what he can do. If the Raps are semi-respectable (no reason they shouldn't, they still have talent on that team), then they're in a good position.
Jiminy Glick wrote:Ball is more valuable than Paul. He will improve drastically next season.

:o
hoosierdaddy34
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,390
And1: 825
Joined: Dec 05, 2016
 

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#17 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Ok this is the kind of trade that both sides will fiercely say no to. Pride will get in the way of any sort of honest discussion.

As a Laker fan and a Celtics hater, and no real fan of Toronto either....

Honestly I have to say I’d rather have Tatum. I think he has the higher ceiling and can be a #1 option someday. I think Siakem has played well but I think is where he tops out. A good 2nd or 3rd option...I think Toronto has a long history of overhyping their young guys and this is just the most recent example. Siakem will be a very good player (and I expect to be come at by Toronto fans for saying that) while great player isn’t off the table for Tatum. At the end of the day Siakem is 25 and just about at his full development and Tatum is just 21. He has a long ways to go.

Just my two cents.
User avatar
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 21,325
And1: 23,195
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
   

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#18 » by Duffman100 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:30 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Ok this is the kind of trade that both sides will fiercely say no to. Pride will get in the way of any sort of honest discussion.

As a Laker fan and a Celtics hater, and no real fan of Toronto either....

Honestly I have to say I’d rather have Tatum. I think he has the higher ceiling and can be a #1 option someday. I think Siakem has played well but I think is where he tops out. A good 2nd or 3rd option...I think Toronto has a long history of overhyping their young guys and this is just the most recent example. Siakem will be a very good player (and I expect to be come at by Toronto fans for saying that) while great player isn’t off the table for Tatum.

Just my two cents.


Well the funny thing is that Siakam was already a good #2 option on a championship team... So has he topped out as that?
hoosierdaddy34
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,390
And1: 825
Joined: Dec 05, 2016
 

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#19 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Ok this is the kind of trade that both sides will fiercely say no to. Pride will get in the way of any sort of honest discussion.

As a Laker fan and a Celtics hater, and no real fan of Toronto either....

Honestly I have to say I’d rather have Tatum. I think he has the higher ceiling and can be a #1 option someday. I think Siakem has played well but I think is where he tops out. A good 2nd or 3rd option...I think Toronto has a long history of overhyping their young guys and this is just the most recent example. Siakem will be a very good player (and I expect to be come at by Toronto fans for saying that) while great player isn’t off the table for Tatum.

Just my two cents.


Well the funny thing is that Siakam was already a good #2 option on a championship team... So has he topped out as that?


He is 25 and at about full development. And it’s going to be a different beast next year when he is the #1 option. Heavy wears the crown. He probably will struggle in that role and people are going to wildly overreact In the other direction. Kawhi cast a really long shadow and made it a lot easier on a lot of dudes. They won’t have that this year.
User avatar
CoachD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,658
And1: 3,896
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
     

Re: Tatum for Siakam 

Post#20 » by CoachD » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:41 pm

He combined with Kawhi to form the second highest scoring duo in a single playoff season.

He played great last year in games Kawhi didn't play.

He went from being the worst 3 point shooter ever (with 100 attempts) to one of the best

To think he is going to just stop improving is nuts to me.

Improvement isn't linear ... But with guys that have insane work ethics ... They tend to improve dramatically year over year
Image

Return to Trades and Transactions