If you were the GM -- your 2019 off season

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: If you were the GM -- your 2019 off season 

Post#61 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

dckingsfan wrote:This is a good thread...

Oh great, now you're going to give Pif a big head. But you are right.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#62 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:This is a good thread...

Oh great, now you're going to give Pif a big head. But you are right.

Wait, what. This is PIF's thread :nonono:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#63 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:19 am

I'm not in the mood to have a big head these days, so no worries. This thread has been fun!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#64 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:22 am

dckingsfan wrote:I think Nate's, Dat's and PIFs lineups are all a good deal better than what we have...

Keep in mind that it's *much* easier for us than for Tommy! We say e.g. we're gonna sign Jake Layman, then we write it down, and -- voila! it's done.

Tommy doesn't have it quite that easy. E.g. what if Jake would rather play for Minny than for us?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#65 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:59 pm

payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think Nate's, Dat's and PIFs lineups are all a good deal better than what we have...

Keep in mind that it's *much* easier for us than for Tommy! We say e.g. we're gonna sign Jake Layman, then we write it down, and -- voila! it's done.

Tommy doesn't have it quite that easy. E.g. what if Jake would rather play for Minny than for us?

Can you make that so for Tommy please...
payitforward
RealGM

Post#66 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 pm

I can, but it wouldn't be fair.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#67 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:24 am

Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:Ok, fair enough. But... come on -- it's fun putting you through the ringer every once in a while!

But, in fact the Blazers didn't get a R2 pick in the deal; they got the rights to a nobody. Plus, they only traded Layman because they are in the tax & need to lower costs. Taking back Howard wouldn't have worked with them.

It's tough being a GM!

Yikes, so the Wizards can't use a trade exception to sign a free agent. They only have the MLE, BAE & vet minimums to offer. You could potentially use Mahinmi or Howard as salary ballast but that would require assets on our part (more for Mahinmi of course).

If they kept Sato then the MLE can be used elsewhere. Acquiring D. Wright would require the MLE so in theory you could double up by keeping Sato.

I thought about Delon AND Sato but the problem with that is we need those assets from the Sato deal to make the Delon deal happen and Delon's market would have possibly changed if Chicago couldn't have gotten Sato. :noway:

But I prefer D. Wright to Sato & Layman. I like Layman and at that price he's worth it but I know D. Wright is good and I view him as a potential core piece, I just think Layman may be solid.

So no Layman. :banghead:

The remaining market is barren: Corey Brewer? Justin Anderson? No.

I trade the 2nd acquired in the LAL deal to Dallas for Ryan Broekhoff.

Also since I'm unable to deal Howard, I decide to hold onto him for the time being and see how he and Bol Bol progress health wise going into training camp. If he looks ok, I deal Wagner to any team that takes him. If not, i cut Howard and keep Wagner.

Lastly, either one of Jones or Bonga is getting cut. I let them fight it out for a roster spot through training camp. I may try to sign the guy that's cut two a 2-way deal if possible.

Training camp roster.

G Wright ... T. Brown Jr ... Wall
G Beal ... Shumpert ... McRae
F Broekhoff ... Windler ... Bonga ... Je. Jones
F Bertans ... Clarke ... Vonleh
C Bryant ... Howard ... Bol ... Wagner ... Mahinmi

Ian Mahinmi and one of either Jones or Bonga are cut before the regular season. Also either Howard or Wagner get cut/moved.

Exhibit 10: S. Ponds & E. Happ.

Ok so let's add some more fantasy to my offseason lol.

From my idea in the trade thread:

Chris Paul & Danilo Gallinari for John Wall, Ian Mahinmi & Mortiz Wagner. Wizards send an unprotected 2020 1st.

New roster

G Paul ... D. Wright ... Bonga
G Beal ... Shumpert ... Broekhoff
F Gallinari ... T. Brown Jr ... Windler
F Bertans ... Vonleh ... Clarke
C Bryant ... Howard ... Bol
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#68 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
payitforward wrote:Ok, fair enough. But... come on -- it's fun putting you through the ringer every once in a while!

But, in fact the Blazers didn't get a R2 pick in the deal; they got the rights to a nobody. Plus, they only traded Layman because they are in the tax & need to lower costs. Taking back Howard wouldn't have worked with them.

It's tough being a GM!

Yikes, so the Wizards can't use a trade exception to sign a free agent. They only have the MLE, BAE & vet minimums to offer. You could potentially use Mahinmi or Howard as salary ballast but that would require assets on our part (more for Mahinmi of course).

If they kept Sato then the MLE can be used elsewhere. Acquiring D. Wright would require the MLE so in theory you could double up by keeping Sato.

I thought about Delon AND Sato but the problem with that is we need those assets from the Sato deal to make the Delon deal happen and Delon's market would have possibly changed if Chicago couldn't have gotten Sato. :noway:

But I prefer D. Wright to Sato & Layman. I like Layman and at that price he's worth it but I know D. Wright is good and I view him as a potential core piece, I just think Layman may be solid.

Also since I'm unable to deal Howard, I decide to hold onto him for the time being and see how he and Bol Bol progress health wise going into training camp. If he looks ok, I deal Wagner to any team that takes him. If not, i cut Howard and keep Wagner.

Lastly, either one of Jones or Bonga is getting cut. I let them fight it out for a roster spot through training camp. I may try to sign the guy that's cut two a 2-way deal if possible.

Training camp roster.

Ian Mahinmi and one of either Jones or Bonga are cut before the regular season. Also either Howard or Wagner get cut/moved.

Chris Paul & Danilo Gallinari for John Wall, Ian Mahinmi & Mortiz Wagner. Wizards send an unprotected 2020 1st.

New roster

Well, I would add... Holy spit, that's a really good team - built to win now but still has a bunch of young players to grow with. Well done sir.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#69 » by DCZards » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Dub post
payitforward
RealGM

Post#70 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:49 pm

How can it be a double post? Where's the first one?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#71 » by DCZards » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:59 pm

payitforward wrote:How can it be a double post? Where's the first one?

Posted in wrong thread. Would have “deleted” if the system allowed but it doesn’t. So I went with “dub post.”
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#72 » by Dat2U » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:43 am

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Training camp roster.

New roster

Well, I would add... Holy spit, that's a really good team - built to win now but still has a bunch of young players to grow with. Well done sir.

So looking back on the year, how good would have this team been? Playoffs? Deep playoff run?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#73 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Good for you for bringing this thread back to life.

But, before asking how good this team would have been, we'd have to consider 2 key factors:

1. Even w/ the R1 pick, I don't think OKC would have made that trade for Wall.
2. Broekhoff played only a few minutes this season. Windler didn't play at all. Bol played less than 100 minutes. Jones didn't stick in the league. Vonleh only logged @ 370 minutes, Shumpert @240.

IOW, it's not altogether realistic to discuss exactly "this team." We'd be better off discussing the moves that actually were possible/practical -- & how those moves might have affected the team's record.

The 2 key moves would have been picking Brandon Clarke instead of Rui & signing Delon Wright instead of Ish Smith. I think those two moves alone might well have given us a dozen more wins. So, instead of 25-47, say 37-35.

Now, if we'd acquired Clarke by trading down with Boston for their #20 & 22 picks -- so that we also acquired Matisse Thybulle -- that would have been even better. In that case, we wouldn't have signed IT or GPII (or Chiozza or Justin Robinson). Naturally, therefore, we also would not have traded IT for Jerome Robinson. Might well add another 4 wins.

So, say, 41 wins -- a record about equal to that of the Sixers. We'd have the #19 pick this year rather than the #9.

Make sense?
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#74 » by Dat2U » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:28 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

New roster

So looking back on the year, how good would have this team been? Playoffs? Deep playoff run?

How much better would a CP3/Beal led team have been?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#75 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:17 pm

Actually, one key piece of this fantasy was my idea to trade our 2019 #9 pick for Boston's #20 & #22, pick Clarke & Thybulle, trade Thybulle to Philly (as Boston did) for the #24 & #33.

That gives us Clarke, Keldon Johnson & Daniel Gafford (@#33 -- i.e. w/o having to trade for him: so we still have Troy Brown).

Then we trade Bertans to Boston for the #26 pick in the '20 draft. That gives us Payton Pritchard.

Then we trade our #9 in 2020 to Boston for their #15, #30 & #47. We take Isaiah Stewart, Desmond Bane & Kenyon Martin Jr.

Then we trade the #37 pick in 2020 (plus a R2 pick down the road) to Sac'to for the 35 pick -- & we get Xavier Tillman.

Overall, we've acquired Clarke, Johnson, Gafford, Pritchard, Stewart, Bane, Martin & Tillman. & kept Brown -- all at the cost of not having acquired Rui & Deni (plus a R2 pick down the line somewhere).

Ain't hindsight great?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#76 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 1, 2021 7:54 pm

Eli Babak wrote:1) Hire Ernie Grunfeld as my assistant

2) Trade #9/Mahinmi/Howard to OKC for #21/Schröder/Patterson and cash for #42/Simmons
"For this season Schröder is a terrific replacement for Wall and the year after that he'll likely be the 6th man of the year."
"PatPat is a local guy and good vet."

3) Draft Nassir Little @21 and Bol Bol @42
"Little is athletic monster and Bol has so much potential."

4) Let Sato walk because S&Ts are too complicated and my plane is waiting

5) Sign
- Thomas Bryant to a 3y/30M deal (3rd year PO) - "youth is important to us"
- Isaiah Thomas 2y/6M (2nd year PO) - "he'll prove doubters wrong"
- Bobby Portis 4y/50M - "a modern big who can shoot, rebound and score"
- Melo, Monta Ellis & Amare Stoudemire to vet minimum - "bargains and they'll give us the boost we need in order to make the playoffs"
- don't waive McRae & Simmons - "the more vets, the better - and to be honest I thought we got Ben instead of Jonathon"

Schröder / Thomas / Wall
Beal / McRae / Ellis
Simmons / Brown / Little
Melo / Patterson / Stoudemire
Bryant / Portis / Bol

And finally on July 2nd I fly to the Bahamas!

:( I'm sorry. Maybe I do a serious one later.

Ernie knew what he was talking about! :D

Return to Washington Wizards