Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:56 pm

s a reminder, the trade details were:

Pistons: Receive Blake Griffin, Willie Reed, Brice Johnson.

Clippers: Receive Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanović, 2018 first-round pick, 2019 second-round pick.

Johnson and Reed were contract fillers, and are no longer in the NBA.

My Opinion is Detroit because we can now get more for him if we trade him.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#2 » by flow » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Clippers won the trade. They parlayed the trade into Kawhi Leonard, and the acquisition of Paul George*, while maintaining the deepest roster in the league.

Even if Kawhi had signed elsewhere, the Clips would still have been in great shape to make other moves and improvements.

Detroit, on the other had, was kind of hamstrung by the trade. I've enjoyed having Blake on the team. He really was tremendous last season. But it just wasn't the right situation for either party, and the front office hasn't parlayed Blake into anything.

* The Clippers received our 2018 1st round pick in the trade. That pick turned into Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who was the main piece in the Paul George trade. Shai had a great rookie season and has tons of promise. The George trade doesn't move the needle re: OP's question, but the fact that the pick became Shai does.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:21 pm

I mean thats probably the cost of a player of Blakes caliber but i underestimated how hard it would be too add too a player maxed out after trading away your depth in this market.

Need to draft a star and build around him with your flexibility in a place like this. Other markets could have done alot better after a trade like that though.

Hes a better player now then he was at the time or perceived to be anyways so it would be interesting to know his value if he hit tge market
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:24 pm

They won it. And that's even ignoring the Kawhi and PG13 acquisitions.

I don't even think it's particularly close.

We aren't a champion, but we might have helped make one.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#5 » by DBC10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:25 pm

We had no real reason to devote that much of cap space into our frontcourt but I can see a semblance of reasoning why we did it. Still a bit of a "save your job" type move from Stan, but like I said, I can see a semblance of reasoning for why.

I'll say LAC since they actually fielded a good cast of players and got insane value for all the pieces they traded from us and other teams. I wish we had that kind of foresight and luck for at least one of the years in the past decade.

The real winner is OKC since I'm pretty sure OKC has 6 different teams picking for them in the next few years. That's kind of crazy.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:27 pm

You would probably have to attach a asset though to move Harris after that contract. Guy is more of a spot up shooter than any type of shot creator that deserves that type of kind of money
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#7 » by DBC10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:31 pm

MotownMadness wrote:You would probably have to attach a asset though to move Harris after that contract. Guy is more of a spot up shooter than any type of shot creator that deserves that type of kind of money

I think you could've easily moved him to MIN or somewhere else for a first round pick or maybe Minny coughs up Jimmy Butler which is probable given how insane that situation was. It would've involved a 3rd team but meh.

Or Philly likely still came knocking too, offering up picks (the Miami unprotected) and Shamet.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#8 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 pm

We could of traded all our first for the next decade for PG but theres now way in hell another star would just sign up here to play with him.

Comparing what a team did in LA to get where they are just isnt fair to what a market in Detroit can do. Cause they wouldnt have traded that much for George without Kawhi coming on his own free will
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm

MotownMadness wrote:We could of traded all our first for the next decade for PG but theres now way in hell another star would just sign up here to play with him.

Comparing what a team did in LA to get where they are just isnt fair to what a market in Detroit can do. Cause they wouldnt have traded that much for George without Kawhi coming on his own free will

Which is why I specified that they crushed us in that trade even if you completely ignore PG and Kawhi. Which is completely true.

Even without that super-offseason they were in a much better situation pre-trade than before. Heck, even if they NEVER signed anybody, that would be true. They had flexibility to make trades and a nice group of young players and picks, especially after exploiting the market to get more picks for Tobias.

I grow tired of the "small market" excuses. That's not an excuse for incompetence and short sightedness.

And nobody has been adequetely able to address the cold and simple fact that Blake didn't make us much better even looking specifically at the short term. We were .500 last year despite relative health from our core group for most of the year. Blake played well but the trade was a failure even purely from a "win now" perspective, much less that it pushed our rebuild back a couple more years.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#10 » by flow » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:39 pm

MotownMadness wrote:You would probably have to attach a asset though to move Harris after that contract. Guy is more of a spot up shooter than any type of shot creator that deserves that type of kind of money

And that's not the Clippers' problem. That's Philly's problem. Clips sent Tobias to Philly for two 1sts, two 2nds, and Landry Shamet without skipping a beat last season. They've really done a masterful job. I think they could have skipped the PG trade, kept Shai, and been just as good (or good enough). Imagine winning the championship with the best player in the league, and still having plenty of cap space & all those picks going forward.

MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#11 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:We could of traded all our first for the next decade for PG but theres now way in hell another star would just sign up here to play with him.

Which is why I specified that they crushed us in that trade even if you completely ignore PG and Kawhi. Which is completely true.

Even without that super-offseason they were in a much better situation pre-trade than before. Heck, even if they NEVER signed anybody, that would be true. They had flexibility to make trades and a nice group of young players and picks, especially after exploiting the market to get more picks for Tobias.

I grow tired of the "small market" excuses. That's not an excuse for incompetence and short sightedness.

Its not a small market problem it just probably the shitiest place you could choose as a star FA in a open market.

Unless you really think you could overpay like crazy to get Davis or PG and then go sign LeBron and Davis like LA teams can.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Post#12 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm

This whole process has been a masterful utilization of assets for the Clippers. The haul they received for Harris (Shamet, 2 1st's, 2 2nd's) could very well be more than the Pistons could get for Griffin right now. Even though I feel that the deal did work out for the Pistons in a sense, the Clippers are obviously far better off right now as a franchise. They traded their aging star, and sped up their rebuild while maintaining competitiveness. They put themselves in the position to trade for Paul George by collecting assets and maintaining cap flexibility. Without dumping Blake and the moves that followed they never get get a chance to be where they are right now. Khawi doesn't sign if they can't pull off the trade for George. The Clippers did not want to be in the position the Pistons are in right now - cap strapped shopping in the bargain bin hoping to sneak into the playoffs.

but i would like to see what we could get for Blake it could be more than we gave away.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Its not a small market problem it just probably the shitiest place you could choose as a star FA in a open market.

Unless you really think you could overpay like crazy to get Davis or PG and then go sign LeBron and Davis like LA teams can.

Which is why I said they won the trade even if we pretend they signed nobody. That’s my position.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#14 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm

flow wrote:

And that's not the Clippers' problem. That's Philly's problem. Clips sent Tobias to Philly for two 1sts, two 2nds, and Landry Shamet without skipping a beat last season. They've really done a masterful job. I think they could have skipped the PG trade, kept Shai and been just as good (or good enough). Imagine winning the championship with the best player in the league, and still having plenty of cap space & all those picks going forward.

And if we had the team what the hell would it grow into except assets to try and acquire a star which none of those players are.

Difference is they dont care to trade all that for a star cause they can pair him up with another one through FA after and be at the top where we cant.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#15 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Which is why I specified that they crushed us in that trade even if you completely ignore PG and Kawhi. Which is completely true.

Which is why I said they won the trade even if we pretend they signed nobody. That’s my position.

K
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#16 » by The Penguin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Tough to divorce the Kawhi (and Paul George) portion of the trade. Moving Blake's contract and the SGA pick let them get Kawhi.

However, from our end, Tobias ended up with roughly the same contract as Blake, so since the money is a wash and it's earned to have plenty of skepticism of our ability to develop young players, it's hard to call acquiring Blake a "loss".

Basically, I'd rather have Blake than Tobias on his contract and a SGA / Miles Bridges we have chained to the bench.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#17 » by Snakebites » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Nevermind.

I'm finished. I know I've said that a million times but I...really mean it this time. I’ve failed to really convince anyone and keep seeing the same repeated arguments again.

It’s time to accept that I’m just not very persuasive.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#18 » by JohnReese » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Did anyone offered something for Harris during the season? How much would have costed us to extend Harris? Were we a priority on Harris list?

No one is considering this.

Nuggets or Jazz did not follow the rebuilding route and are in an amazing position right now. Indiana either.

I am quite happy with the Pistons situation right now as long as we get rid of Drummond before the end on the season. I do not even care why we get in exchange. He is not opting out unless Gores is so stupid to offer him a bigger contract.

On the other hand, the impact that Blake have in the rest of team is worth. People is growing around him and the guy is focus on basketball.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#19 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 pm

JohnReese wrote:Did anyone offered something for Harris during the season? How much would have costed us to extend Harris? Were we a priority on Harris list?

No one is considering this.

Nuggets or Jazz did not follow the rebuilding route and are in an amazing position right now. Indiana either.

I am quite happy with the Pistons situation right now as long as we get rid of Drummond before the end on the season. I do not even care why we get in exchange. He is not opting out unless Gores is so stupid to offer him a bigger contract.

On the other hand, the impact that Blake have in the rest of team is worth. People is growing around him and the guy is focus on basketball.

100% agree. Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets, even Kings slowly built something. Though Kings did get a good pick a couple times.

Also: We need signs at every game

TRADE DRE, TRADE DRE

He is opting out and hoping to get paid.

Best question. Where does he fit in a trade? Who needs a rebounding big?

He would be excellent on the Warriors but hes too expensive for them.

But maybe a DLO for DRE trade?

Maybe to OKC for Adams and expiring filler?
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#20 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Snakebites wrote:Nevermind.

I'm finished. I know I've said that a million times but I...really mean it this time. I’ve failed to really convince anyone and keep seeing the same repeated arguments again.

It’s time to accept that I’m just not very persuasive.

Yeah it’s a two way street. No one has convinced you either so maybe we’re not persuasive either :lol: So maybe it’s time you agree to disagree.

Return to Detroit Pistons