Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,686

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#21 » by zeebneeb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:04 pm

The Pistons seem to lose every trade.

Oh well.

Oh and the Detroit Pistons are not a small market team for the 1 millionth time.

Good grief.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#22 » by DetroitDon15 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:00 am

edmunder_prc wrote:
JohnReese wrote:Did anyone offered something for Harris during the season? How much would have costed us to extend Harris? Were we a priority on Harris list?

No one is considering this.

Nuggets or Jazz did not follow the rebuilding route and are in an amazing position right now. Indiana either.

I am quite happy with the Pistons situation right now as long as we get rid of Drummond before the end on the season. I do not even care why we get in exchange. He is not opting out unless Gores is so stupid to offer him a bigger contract.

On the other hand, the impact that Blake have in the rest of team is worth. People is growing around him and the guy is focus on basketball.

100% agree. Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets, even Kings slowly built something. Though Kings did get a good pick a couple times.

Also: We need signs at every game

TRADE DRE, TRADE DRE

He is opting out and hoping to get paid.

Best question. Where does he fit in a trade? Who needs a rebounding big?

He would be excellent on the Warriors but hes too expensive for them.

But maybe a DLO for DRE trade?

Maybe to OKC for Adams and expiring filler?

We’re stuck with Dre. He’s not Embid or Jokic at center. No one is taking him.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#23 » by DetroitDon15 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 am

zeebneeb wrote:The Pistons seem to lose every trade.

Oh well.

Oh and the Detroit Pistons are not a small market team for the 1 millionth time.

Good grief.

Players only sign in Detroit to get overpaid or because nobody wants them.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#24 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Nevermind.

I'm finished. I know I've said that a million times but I...really mean it this time. I’ve failed to really convince anyone and keep seeing the same repeated arguments again.

It’s time to accept that I’m just not very persuasive.

Yeah it’s a two way street. No one has convinced you either so maybe we’re not persuasive either So maybe it’s time you agree to disagree.

Right, " I've spoken" :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,768

Post#25 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:21 am

zeebneeb wrote:The Pistons seem to lose every trade.

Oh well.

Good grief.

Would “undesirable market for potential players” be better?

Might not be small but advertisers don’t put bonuses in their contracts if players play in Detroit like they do in LA, NY, and Chicago.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#26 » by Billl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:38 am

The clips made better moves since (and before), but we still won the blake trade. Blake and his contract is better than tobias + bradley on their deals . Realistically, if we kept tobias, we'd be the same team with him instead of blake.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#27 » by MrBigShot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:44 am

I don't think we would be necessarily better off without the trade. Blake is spectacular, but he simply doesn't have much help around him.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#28 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:07 am

Snakebites wrote:They won it. And that's even ignoring the Kawhi and PG13 acquisitions.

I don't even think it's particularly close.

We aren't a champion, but we might have helped make one.

How would we'd have been better with Tobias, Avery, Boban, and the picks?
What would we have done in trade that would've been clearly better than an All-Star All-NBA player?
What would we have done with those players we hadn't traded where they become worthwhile trade pieces?

We didn't want to overpay good-but-not-great Tobias. Someone did.
We didn't want to play Boban, despite being efficient. Someone did.
We didn't want to see Avery suck here. Someone has him sucking there.
So, it's really about a #11 pick?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#29 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:22 am

Of course they won it. Jerry West orchestrated the trade you dont win a trade vs Jerry fkn West. The guy builds winners.

The clippers used the resources from that trade to turn into the vegas odds title fav in two seasons. Hell they put up a better win % without Blake then with him since they moved him.

We finished as the 8 seed with a 500 record last season and will be about the same this year. This trade just put us on the treadmill. If we had Jerry West as advisor here rather then SVG we would NEVER of considered making that move.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:23 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:
Snakebites wrote:They won it. And that's even ignoring the Kawhi and PG13 acquisitions.

I don't even think it's particularly close.

We aren't a champion, but we might have helped make one.

How would we'd have been better with Tobias, Avery, Boban, and the picks?
What would we have done in trade that would've been clearly better than an All-Star All-NBA player?
What would we have done with those players we hadn't traded where they become worthwhile trade pieces?

We didn't want to overpay good-but-not-great Tobias. Someone did.
We didn't want to play Boban, despite being efficient. Someone did.
We didn't want to see Avery suck here. Someone has him sucking there.
So, it's really about a #11 pick?

If you have a smart front office you trade T.Harris to the sixers like we just seen. If you have a smart front office you dont trade for Blake like we just seen a smart front office in the clippers do.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:28 am

Snakebites wrote:Nevermind.

I'm finished. I know I've said that a million times but I...really mean it this time. I’ve failed to really convince anyone and keep seeing the same repeated arguments again.

It’s time to accept that I’m just not very persuasive.

Thats because you're trying to convince all the people who thought we won the trade in the first place. Not one of them has went "i was wrong about the trade we are just a treadmill team now whos not going to win anything". Its a pointless debate they will never admit they were wrong. It doesnt matter that we are a 500% team that put off rebuilding multiple years to lose in the first round because of that trade. It doesnt matter that the clippers are the title favs now.

The "we would of signed Harris to a bunch of money so we would be worse then with Blake" is a weak argument. A smart front office would trade Harris to a contending team and not sign him. The same as people expect our front office to use a brain and not lock up Drummond to a supermax. This front office hasnt done anything as stupid as signing a player like Harris to that big of a contract.

Literally every good basketball media person said we lost the trade at that time. Today its 100% obv we lost the trade seeing where the clippers are and we are. The only people who could think we won are the pistons fans who thought we won the trade when we made it. We will not win anything with Blake here(as good as hes been it doesnt matter). It will be years afters hes gone before we are good.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#32 » by The Moose » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:55 am

It was a desperation trade by SVG to keep his job and put off the needed rebuild by another 2-3 years.
We lost, considering we won a couple of more games with Blake
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#33 » by theBigLip » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 am

I'm not going to say we "won" the trade and the Clippers "lost" the trade, but...

...it is possible for both teams to win. Different teams have different goals. They also have different abilities to retain free agents.

Bradley was going to ask for a boatload of money so we moved him. Tobias just got a boatload of money. Blake is certainly better than Tobias. Of course the draft pick hurts, but that what it takes for a team like us to get someone like Blake. He is the best thing I've seen on this team in a few years, so I don't think it is easy to say we "lost" the trade.

That being said, and as previously mentioned, it was certainly a desperation move by SVG, and one with a lot of risk. This is the proverbial "putting all your eggs in one basket". If Blake had a serious injury (more serious than his inopportune sprained knee), then we would be sooooo f--ked. But when healthy, he is clearly an All Star. Not very often we get to say "Pistons" and "All Star" in the same sentence unless we are talking about teams from long ago.
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Post#34 » by ChipButty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:57 am

Who gives a crap if it helped the Clips. Good for them. Doesn't guarantee them a championship though and Kwahi is only locked up for 2 years.

The trade turned out fine for us. We could trade Blake this offseason and tank all year if that is what the front office wanted to do. I think our roster looks the best it has in a long time and there are still options to improve without giving away any picks.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,921

Post#35 » by tmorgan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:03 am

I think we did OK, in just the Blake for Tobias/SGA portion. Slight edge to LAC there.

The Clips obviously did great afterwards, but I can't see us showcasing Tobias the way they did. It worked out OK for us and great for them. Philly is the big loser here... many picks and a ton of money for Tobias.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#36 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am

buzzkilloton wrote:If you have a smart front office you trade T.Harris to the sixers like we just seen. If you have a smart front office you dont trade for Blake like we just seen a smart front office in the clippers do.

The Clippers got 2 first round picks (with Landry Shamet and expiring trade ballast) for Tobi and Bobi (and Mike Scott, who probably would have been a rotation player here). Assume Shamet and Scott and the trade ballast are kind of a wash. Did _anyone_ think a team would give us 2 first round draft picks for the right to make Tobias (who hasn't made an All-Star game or been All=NBA or have a stellar playoff) the $36 million dollar man? And we'd have done this trade in our own division? I think this would've been laughed at.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#37 » by thesack12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 am

Not really a point on who "won" the trade, but I think its safe to say that the notion that Jerry took Stan out to the woodshed and Detroit vastly overpaid for Blake can safely be put to bed.

All we have to do is look what kind of monster packages Anthony Davis, Paul George fetched. In addition look what it took to get a non-star like Mike Conley.

In the culture of today's NBA, stars who are locked up to long term contracts are more valuable than when they are on short term contracts. Team control is crucial.

Also, I would like to remind people that Boban and his contract were absolute dead weight for Detroit. Sure it was Stan's mistake to make that signing, but if we are grading the trade here Stan did good to get rid of that contract.

As for who "won" trade, to be fair its still an imcomplete. Blake is still an asset, and Detroit can still move him for value at some point.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#38 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:22 am

Win-win deal as I believe both teams got exactly what they were looking for

The Clips used all their assets and got where they are now...in the discussion of championships. Games have to be played but they're definitely in the title hunt on paper.

As for our Pistons: I think we accomplished the goal of the trade, which was to make the playoffs.

Our organisation just hadn't done anything since to move forward in a positive way. We're stuck in this holding pattern it seems and that blows my mind

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:If you have a smart front office you trade T.Harris to the sixers like we just seen. If you have a smart front office you dont trade for Blake like we just seen a smart front office in the clippers do.

The Clippers got 2 first round picks (with Landry Shamet and expiring trade ballast) for Tobi and Bobi (and Mike Scott, who probably would have been a rotation player here). Assume Shamet and Scott and the trade ballast are kind of a wash. Did _anyone_ think a team would give us 2 first round draft picks for the right to make Tobias (who hasn't made an All-Star game or been All=NBA or have a stellar playoff) the $36 million dollar man? And we'd have done this trade in our own division? I think this would've been laughed at.

The sixers were all in for a title they would of easily made a trade with us. The in divison thing doesnt matter when one team is a title contender while the other is at battling for a 1st round exit. We arent even in the same division as the sixers by the way.

Regardless if it wasnt the sixers someone else would of been interested in Harris and we could of got some value. Teams value players who can stretch the floor. I mean he was used to land Blake Griffin and he was used to get that package from the sixers so clearly u see he was a player that could get back alot of value in trades.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#40 » by The Penguin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 am

I still think we should have either 1) HEAVILY protected that 1st round pick or simply not included it or 2) demand the inclusion of Lou Williams in the package.

The Clippers were popping bottles at just getting off Blake's contract. At the point in the season when the trade was made it sure seems like we made them an offer they couldn't refuse, opposed to them waiting it out till the deadline and taking what they could get.

Return to Detroit Pistons