ImageImage

2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Re: 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#481 » by Snidely FC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:24 pm

LofJ wrote:I just listened to Borrego's summer league interview and he talked a lot about player development. He also specifically mentioned "developing assets." If there were any doubts in your mind before about whether or not this team is rebuilding you can definitely put them to rest.

He also said the thing he likes most about Rozier is his rebounding. He said he wants him to rebound and start transition offense immediately.

Man, I hope you are right.

To me the success of the upcoming season hinges entirely on whether this team is FINALLY going to roll out the young guns.

The team's management moves the last several years have been so cynical that I am jaded against anything they say, and no longer expect them to do the right thing at the right time. All I know is I can not take one more season of prominent roles and desultory play from our vets.

It's time for some hope for the future. Give the keys to the young players and the young coach who have quietly been collected in this stealth rebuild, and I won't care about our record, I'll just be excited to watch.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#482 » by LofJ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:13 pm

It just occured to me that Mitch might have signed Rozier to that deal to prevent MJ from trading for Chris Paul. If that had not happened CP3 might be in Charlotte right now.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#483 » by fatlever » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
LofJ wrote:I just listened to Borrego's summer league interview and he talked a lot about player development. He also specifically mentioned "developing assets." If there were any doubts in your mind before about whether or not this team is rebuilding you can definitely put them to rest.

He also said the thing he likes most about Rozier is his rebounding. He said he wants him to rebound and start transition offense immediately.

To me the success of the upcoming season hinges entirely on whether this team is FINALLY going to roll out the young guns.

The team's management moves the last several years have been so cynical that I am jaded against anything they say, and no longer expect them to do the right thing at the right time. All I know is I can not take one more season of prominent roles and desultory play from our vets.

It's time for some hope for the future. Give the keys to the young players and the young coach who have quietly been collected in this stealth rebuild, and I won't care about our record, I'll just be excited to watch.

fast forward to box score from january 2020

Rozier 35 minutes / Graham 13
Batum 32 / Monk 16
MKG 30 / Bacon 18
Marvin 28 / Miles 20
Cody 30 / Biz 18

PJ, Billy - DNP

[slits wrist]
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#484 » by Snidely FC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 pm

fatlever wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:

fast forward to box score from january 2020

Rozier 35 minutes / Graham 13
Batum 32 / Monk 16
MKG 30 / Bacon 18
Marvin 28 / Miles 20
Cody 30 / Biz 18

PJ, Billy - DNP

[slits wrist]

exactly
Teddyb
Pro Prospect
And1: 233

Post#485 » by Teddyb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:39 am

Hey Im not trying to start anything BUT whats the word down there. Is Lin going to Charlotte?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#486 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:47 am

Teddyb wrote:Hey Im not trying to start anything BUT whats the word down there. Is Lin going to Charlotte?

Why would that start anything?
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#487 » by Radu_Hornets » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Teddyb wrote:Hey Im not trying to start anything BUT whats the word down there. Is Lin going to Charlotte?

Why would that start anything?

I also read in a French nba news website that it’d be either Charlotte either Taiwan for Lin.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#488 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:05 am

Kind of hope it's Charlotte. Would like to see him back even if he's not the player he used to be.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#489 » by BigSlam » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:36 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Kind of hope it's Charlotte. Would like to see him back even if he's not the player he used to be.

Same - although the Lin fanboy traffic that travels with him and the inevitable “Lin should be starting over Rozier” noise that would also come would be exhausting.......again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM

Post#490 » by LofJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:40 pm

I don't think Rozier will be on the team past the deadline. I think we're going to showcase him and then trade him to bring back an asset. There are several teams that won't be able to find anyone better in free agency next summer: the Pistons, Wolves, Heat, Magic, and Knicks could all be interested. The Knicks especially are a team to watch.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,302

Post#491 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:10 pm

LofJ wrote:I don't think Rozier will be on the team past the deadline. I think we're going to showcase him and then trade him to bring back an asset. There are several teams that won't be able to find anyone better in free agency next summer: the Pistons, Wolves, Heat, Magic, and Knicks could all be interested. The Knicks especially are a team to watch.

I'm spoiled by having a real point guard and I don't want to be in any of those team's shoes. Let them suffer. Let's watch the rebuild two years, collect assets, let all contracts expire. In year 3 of Rozier's contract we should know where we stand as far as needing him for playoffs because he fits, or trading him because he has established value while the team is still not playoff caliber.
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM

Post#492 » by LofJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:19 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
LofJ wrote:I don't think Rozier will be on the team past the deadline. I think we're going to showcase him and then trade him to bring back an asset. There are several teams that won't be able to find anyone better in free agency next summer: the Pistons, Wolves, Heat, Magic, and Knicks could all be interested. The Knicks especially are a team to watch.

I'm spoiled by having a real point guard and I don't want to be in any of those team's shoes. Let them suffer. Let's watch the rebuild two years, collect assets, let all contracts expire. In year 3 of Rozier's contract we should know where we stand as far as needing him for playoffs because he fits, or trading him because he has established value while the team is still not playoff caliber.

I'm fine with going that route as well, but the 2020 draft is guard heavy so we likely wouldn't be without a real point guard for long.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#493 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:22 pm

LofJ wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

I'm fine with going that route as well, but the 2020 draft is guard heavy so we likely wouldn't be without a real point guard for long.

I know nothing about the draft. I just think PG and center are so tough to develop. It could take years for even high picks to anchor those positions. Hopefully Rozier comes out so strong we won't want to lose him.
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM

Post#494 » by LofJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:34 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
LofJ wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:

I know nothing about the draft. I just think PG and center are so tough to develop. It could take years for even high picks to anchor those positions. Hopefully Rozier comes out so strong we won't want to lose him.

I'm right there with you on bigs, they take too long to develop so they aren't worth high lottery picks (unless they're shooters like Towns/Porzingis). Point guards take time to develop as well, but unlike bigs if you draft a good one the team will likely get something out of them before their rookie deal ends.

Regardless it's best for everyone involved if Rozier plays well, so I hope he does.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#495 » by LofJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 pm

538 predicts the Hornets as the 3rd worst team in the league with 26 wins:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-projections-for-the-2019-20-nba-season/
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#496 » by Chapelchilla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:46 pm

LofJ wrote:538 predicts the Hornets as the 3rd worst team in the league with 26 wins:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-projections-for-the-2019-20-nba-season/

I think I said 25 wins, give or take 3 so that looks about right to me. 30 wins would be a stretch unless the young guys grow up fast.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#497 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:35 pm

I'm gonna say 35 wins. That might upset some because it's a late lotto finish once again.
It has been written...
Great
Bench Warmer
And1: 65

Post#498 » by Great » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 am

Perhaps the lack of draftee signing/free agent transactions is a good thing.

They moved quickly and wrong once this summer.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,112

Post#499 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:53 am

MasterIchiro wrote:I'm gonna say 35 wins. That might upset some because it's a late lotto finish once again.

Wanna make a bet at 29.5 wins?
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 936

Post#500 » by Robot Rock » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:56 pm

There is no way in hell this team will win 30 games on 2K, let alone in real life. It’s a capped-out G-League roster with a fanboy owner, incompetent coach and incompetent general manager. They should pay fans to attend games, not the other way around.

If they get some lucky bounces and luck goes their way, I could maybe see 9-73.

Return to Charlotte Hornets