ImageImageImage

Great. Just what they need.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,348

Re: Great. Just what they need. 

Post#81 » by hoophabit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Um yeah, what ^them guys said. Drummond, despite allowing himself some fun, is being more serious about his game. Better concentration of the FT line and passing last year. Everybody says he's in great shape and has been working hard this summer.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,348

Post#82 » by hoophabit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Kinda surprised no one has commented on the team expecting Leuer back in time for the season, and maybe the start of camp?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#83 » by Snakebites » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:22 am

hoophabit wrote:Kinda surprised no one has commented on the team expecting Leuer back in time for the season, and maybe the start of camp?

This is the deadest part of the offseason, interest is at a low point.

There are like 6 threads in this whole board that have replies newer than 10 days.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#84 » by A_dub06 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:35 am

Snakebites wrote:
hoophabit wrote:Kinda surprised no one has commented on the team expecting Leuer back in time for the season, and maybe the start of camp?

There are like 6 threads in this whole board that have replies newer than 10 days.

I think it’s more of the case that most have finally realised that Leuer has zero chance of living up to that contract and we are stuck with him like the rest of SVG’s signings during the first 5 mins of free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#85 » by dVs33 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:43 am

I don't think leuer will ever live up to his deal, but I'm keen to see how Casey uses him. He wasn't useless the whole time, so he could get back to being a solid back up pf. Have to wait and see.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Great. Just what they need. 

Post#86 » by A_dub06 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 pm

dVs33 wrote:I don't think leuer will ever live up to his deal, but I'm keen to see how Casey uses him. He wasn't useless the whole time, so he could get back to being a solid back up pf. Have to wait and see.

Leuer at his best was simply not being useless. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves and pretend he was ever anything other than a very average player.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#87 » by MotownMadness » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Looking at it though we just gotta tough it out this year and then next year we will have 3 big expirings in Jackson, Leuer and Galloway
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#88 » by Drwho17 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Well, that and the Cap will explode again at some point as the NBA becomes more of the top pro league in the US.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#89 » by Snakebites » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:16 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I think it’s more of the case that most have finally realised that Leuer has zero chance of living up to that contract and we are stuck with him like the rest of SVG’s signings during the first 5 mins of free agency.

The signing is already a sunken cost, the question is will we be able to recoup ANY of the value we were supposedly getting when we signed him.

I've heard theBiglip arguing that just because the signing hasn't worked out doesn't mean it was necessarily bad at the time, especially given injuries.

He's not wrong in principle, but I'd also argue that the deal was completely indefensible given what we knew at the time he was signed:

1) Leuer was given a 4 year deal at over 10 million dollars per season based on ONE halfway decent year- the ONLY year where he played more than 13 minutes per game. He basically gave starter money to a guy who'd never started and only had one halfway decent season in which he played more than a quarter of basketball.

2) On that team he still didn't even warrant starters minutes on one of the worst teams in the league.

I don't think that was in any way defensible from any standpoint, even at the time.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#90 » by Kilo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Leuer was overpaid in money and years. They years is worse than the money. I can't believe he would have been getting 30M over three years from any other team in that off-season. Stan was bidding against himself.

Leuer gassed out in the second half and then has been hurt. IIRC he might have even been hurt in the second half as a partial explanation as the surgery was on a long time foot issue rather than the high ankle sprain.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#91 » by Richard Miller » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 pm

whitehops wrote:boggles my mind that people could find it a negative that a player is adding another element to their game. so many centers have gone from not shooting any three pointers to being legit threats from there (marc gasol, brook lopez, etc.). drummond being able to space the floor helps blake out a lot.

So the season has ended and it's 5-38 and 13.2% for three, I guess that's why people were a tad bit skeptical.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#92 » by DETermination » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
whitehops wrote:boggles my mind that people could find it a negative that a player is adding another element to their game. so many centers have gone from not shooting any three pointers to being legit threats from there (marc gasol, brook lopez, etc.). drummond being able to space the floor helps blake out a lot.

So the season has ended and it's 5-38 and 13.2% for three, I guess that's why people were a tad bit skeptical.

Still better than Ben Simmons
Detroit vs Everybody
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#93 » by flow » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 pm

DETermination wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Better? Lol. I'd pay Drummond a bonus to finish the season 0-0 from 3.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#94 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:37 pm

DETermination wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

LMAO, seriously though how is Simmons such a pathetic shooter as a guard. Hes literally like Drummond as a shooter but a PG.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#95 » by Richard Miller » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:42 pm

DETermination wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Should've kept Boban, 4-8 for three this year, almost the same as Andre, in 30 attempts less. :P
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#96 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Richard Miller wrote:
DETermination wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

Should've kept Boban, 4-8 for three this year, almost the same as Andre, in 30 attempts less. :P

Yeah I thought he would play point for the Sixers this year. What a shame
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#97 » by Billl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm

For all the complaints in both directions, Dre didn't actually shoot 3's this year. He has a handful of times he got stuck with the ball as the clock wound down and tossed it up, but most of those attempts were because he's got this strange obsession with trying the half court heaves. You could count the times he took a 3 in the flow of the offense on 1 hand. In the preseason, he was talking like he was going to start taking that shot if teams sagged off him, but teams never guarded him out high and he didn't take the bait.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#98 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Billl wrote:For all the complaints in both directions, Dre didn't actually shoot 3's this year. He has a handful of times he got stuck with the ball as the clock wound down and tossed it up, but most of those attempts were because he's got this strange obsession with trying the half court heaves. You could count the times he took a 3 in the flow of the offense on 1 hand. In the preseason, he was talking like he was going to start taking that shot if teams sagged off him, but teams never guarded him out high and he didn't take the bait.

It's an experiment that effectively ended a few games into the season. Looking at the game log confirms my memory that he took them a few times a game for the first few games then pretty much stopped after that when he wasn't connecting. You can see he was trying early on, but it was abandoned fairly quickly when it was clear it wasn't going to work. Hitting them in practice is way different than an in-game situation.

It would have been nice for him to add it to his game like Dedmon did, but I think we all knew it wasn't going to happen.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#99 » by whitehops » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 am

Richard Miller wrote:

i don't remember if i said it at the time, but i didn't expect drummond to shoot well right off the bat. when the raps started to get JV to shoot threes he started out slowly too.

hopefully he keeps practicing and then next year he shoots 20%. then the year after he shoots 30%. as long as he keeps the attempts down (which he did this past year after like the first week or two) then i have no problem with it.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#100 » by Manocad » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 am

I'll take Dre shooting 3's over "Trade for someone! Any really good player! Just trade trade trade!"

Return to Detroit Pistons