ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#921 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:02 am

So RJ said he's "the best player in the draft"? I thought somebody was telling me how humble he is.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/rj-barrett-zion-williamson-nba-draft-lottery-best-player-duke

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#922 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 am

Metta World WAR wrote:
Guano wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I'll leave these right here just to show you that I'm not being "a hater" when it comes to RJ. These are things that I along with others find concerning about his game.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/18/rj-barrett-scouting-report/

https://medium.com/sportsraid/rj-barrett-not-elite-nba-draft-prospect-2019-basketball-duke-rankings-canada-overrated-bust-cf106ca4900

you expect us to take this man's opinion on a prospect serious:

Is that one of the RealGM Basketball General Forum Moderators?

I tried not to look at his picture. Whew. Poor guy. So maybe, as a result, he's put all his waking hours into basketball? :dontknow: :lol:

Anyhow, point is that there were plenty of others who also questioned whether RJ would make it in the NBA specifically because of his shooting (and also other reasons).

I hope I'm wrong. Preseason will give us an indication as to how much of a project he'll be.
Free Palestine
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#923 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:So RJ said he's "the best player in the draft"? I thought somebody was telling me how humble he is.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/rj-barrett-zion-williamson-nba-draft-lottery-best-player-duke

He didn't just come out and say that on his own. He was asked. What was he supposed to say , no? He is a confident young fella, but yes he is quite humble. A person can easily be both.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#924 » by blanko » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:24 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Metta World WAR wrote:
Guano wrote:

Is that one of the RealGM Basketball General Forum Moderators?

I tried not to look at his picture. Whew. Poor guy. So maybe, as a result, he's put all his waking hours into basketball? :dontknow:

Anyhow, point is that there were plenty of others who also questioned whether RJ would make it in the NBA specifically because of his shooting (and also other reasons).

I hope I'm wrong. Preseason will give us an indication as to how much of a project he'll be.
"High End:  Above average efficiency, volume scoring G with average defense. MUST improve feel if he is to ever come close to this. If he is drafted to a team that will not give him free-rein day one and make him “earn” his playmaking duties, I think he could reach it – lots of film sessions. Start off as a secondary creator, work on decision-making while improving actual skills/athleticism, and take it slowly. Needs to play within himself, check his ego, and not have the “Kobe mentality” that he had this year and in the past. *Not sure if he will accept this, based on the information I have heard about RJ’s personality.*"

I think he is correct, if rj is allowed to develop slowly i do think he can become the triple doublw threat alot of us see in him. I do think he is going to he an above average 3 point shooter. His shot has changed already, his non shooting hand used to be a gate. It had decreased dramatically.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Post#925 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:32 am

Guano wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I'll leave these right here just to show you that I'm not being "a hater" when it comes to RJ. These are things that I along with others find concerning about his game.

https://medium.com/sportsraid/rj-barrett-not-elite-nba-draft-prospect-2019-basketball-duke-rankings-canada-overrated-bust-cf106ca4900

PG Markelle Fultz, Washington
Fultz might be the most complete guard prospect since Chris Paul. He can shoot, dribble, and create, and his game translates to almost every facet of the modern NBA. He’s been compared fairly to Karl-Anthony Towns as a guard, a guy who does everything well without any obvious weakness. Fultz is very big for a point guard and that should help him defensively and give him the ability to play off the ball. He’s the complete package and a surefire #1 pick.

G Donovan Mitchell, Louisville
Mitchell fits the Detroit m.o. with a huge wingspan and big defensive ability. He has an inconsistent jumper and struggles to finish at the rim, especially against more physical defenses. He could be a Marcus Smart or Tony Allen, which is as much a compliment defensively as it is a negative on offense.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#926 » by Mecca » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Oscirus wrote:
Mecca wrote:
smw6230 wrote:This loos like it could be a good read.

Rookie Film Room: How is R.J. Barrett progressing in Summer League?

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/07/14/rookie-film-room-how-is-r-j-barrett-progressing-in-summer-league/

----

Article review. Everyone should read the article. It was toigh but balanced. I'll leave the X's & O's to others (Barrett at the 4 is crazy) but the author brings up some good points (esp, the unwillingness to challenge a shot at the rim. At Duke I told myself 'maybe K told him' concede those, stay out of foul trouble'.

This is the NBA now and given his size/frame/willingness to rebound, RJ needs to do a better job of defending the rim when in the paint.

This board had pitchforks on me when I said we should use RJ at the 4 the other day lol

We should have pitchforks on anybody who suggests such foolishness. People need to stop being so creative with positions all the time and let players play as is.

PF’s today are really just big wings. It’s not the same game.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#927 » by blanko » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Mecca wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
Mecca wrote:

This board had pitchforks on me when I said we should use RJ at the 4 the other day lol

We should have pitchforks on anybody who suggests such foolishness. People need to stop being so creative with positions all the time and let players play as is.

Yea but today's pf are 6'9~6'11 guys who can shoot from outside. Guys like Draymond aren't tall but they are thick boys.

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#928 » by KnicksGod » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:20 pm

It’s funny in life but sometimes you don’t know you’re on the good path until you take at least one step onto it — I feel like that’s my sense right now, having “lost out” on KD and Kyrie and watching Mitch, RJ and Knox and even Braz Monkey show some stuff.

It is much more fun watching young players who are getting better and can grow up on your team.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#929 » by Mecca » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 pm

blanko wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Oscirus wrote:

Yea but today's pf are 6'9~6'11 guys who can shoot from outside. Guys like Draymond aren't tall but they are thick boys.

Draymond is 6’7 and plays like 40% or so of his minutes at the 5.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#930 » by BallSacBounce » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:19 pm

KnicksGod wrote:It’s funny in life but sometimes you don’t know you’re on the good path until you take at least one step onto it — I feel like that’s my sense right now, having “lost out” on KD and Kyrie and watching Mitch, RJ and Knox and even Braz Monkey show some stuff.

It is much more fun watching young players who are getting better and can grow up on your team.

There's at least one timeline out there that says we took the best path. It's one where Durant comes back 70%, Porzingis keeps getting injured/tired late in the season and Kawhi needs to be chronically load managed with breakdowns from time to time. It's certainly out there in the realm of possibilities. Maybe even one where LeBron goes down again and with a dysfunctional team/FO and AD decides to come here. We're in a pretty good spot regardless.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#931 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm

JustCame wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
I'm not even going to address your argument on the second.

But what did you think of the first? You made no mention of it in your rant.

I'll answer the argument on the second. The writer doesn't argue for a specific way of using the #3 FRP - either to pick someone(s) or to use it as an asset - he argues that he wouldn't use it on picking RJ. Why? Because he thinks that by far the most likely outcome of doing so is to become a treadmill team led by a stat-accruing, but inefficient player. Of course, one can disagree with his conclusions, but at least try to keep straight what his argument is.

I didn't read the 1st article yet, but will get around to it eventually.

You're missing a vital, congruent implication. If RJ isn't worth the 3rd overall pick in his eyes, then he believes the next player up would be a better choice. Given this has been consistently touted a 3 player draft, that means he's saying a better option would be to pick one of the other guys, who would profile as a role player, given it's a 3 man draft. That deduction should've been obvious.

I'm not at all. The logical conclusion to his argument is that it is not, as others claimed a 3 man draft, but rather a 2 man draft. He draws no conclusions about what to do positively (eg, take the BPA, trade down, try to trade up), merely reasons that he wouldn't take RJ with the 3rd pick.

[To be precise - he distinguishes Zion heavily from Ja as well.]
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#932 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Guano wrote:

Fultz might be the most complete guard prospect since Chris Paul. He can shoot, dribble, and create, and his game translates to almost every facet of the modern NBA. He’s been compared fairly to Karl-Anthony Towns as a guard, a guy who does everything well without any obvious weakness. Fultz is very big for a point guard and that should help him defensively and give him the ability to play off the ball. He’s the complete package and a surefire #1 pick.

Mitchell fits the Detroit m.o. with a huge wingspan and big defensive ability. He has an inconsistent jumper and struggles to finish at the rim, especially against more physical defenses. He could be a Marcus Smart or Tony Allen, which is as much a compliment defensively as it is a negative on offense.

LOL, you know that every NBA draft prognosticator bats around .340. This was low hanging fruit, brother, but a slick move on your part. #Respek :bowdown: :lol:

Just because he's wrong about other players doesn't mean he didn't get RJ right.
Free Palestine
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#933 » by TheScout31 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Guano wrote:

Spencer here (yes, this is my account now and the mods, and Howard, know about it) - I can confirm that the picture posted is not me (mine is in my profile) and Brandon Anderson is not a draft guy. Wingo, how dare you besmirch my good name with the company my scouting report has. I'm offended. And, if anyone is curious, the scouting reports are the same ones I sent to teams and they got great reviews - it's how I ended up helping a team pre-draft.

NOTE: I don't post anymore besides the Mod forum, but am free to talk over DM.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#934 » by Matty » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Your boy is on the camp roster for Team Canada at the Worlds.
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#935 » by ny-n-md » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Guano wrote:

LOL, you know that every NBA draft prognosticator bats around .340. This was low hanging fruit, brother, but a slick move on your part. #Respek :bowdown: :lol:

Just because he's wrong about other players doesn't mean he didn't get RJ right.

It doesn’t mean he got RJ right either.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#936 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:29 pm

ny-n-md wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

It doesn’t mean he got RJ right either.

Well, we'll all just have to wait and see, won't we?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#937 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:31 pm

TheScout31 wrote:
Guano wrote:

Spencer here (yes, this is my account now and the mods, and Howard, know about it) - I can confirm that the picture posted is not me (mine is in my profile) and Brandon Anderson is not a draft guy. Wingo, how dare you besmirch my good name with the company my scouting report has. I'm offended. And, if anyone is curious, the scouting reports are the same ones I sent to teams and they got great reviews - it's how I ended up helping a team pre-draft.

NOTE: I don't post anymore besides the Mod forum, but am free to talk over DM.

"Draft prognosticator"? :lol:
Free Palestine
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Post#938 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Guano wrote:

:)
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,903

Post#939 » by GONYK » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:44 pm

blanko wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Metta World WAR wrote:Is that one of the RealGM Basketball General Forum Moderators?

I tried not to look at his picture. Whew. Poor guy. So maybe, as a result, he's put all his waking hours into basketball? :dontknow:

"High End:  Above average efficiency, volume scoring G with average defense. MUST improve feel if he is to ever come close to this. If he is drafted to a team that will not give him free-rein day one and make him “earn” his playmaking duties, I think he could reach it – lots of film sessions. Start off as a secondary creator, work on decision-making while improving actual skills/athleticism, and take it slowly. Needs to play within himself, check his ego, and not have the “Kobe mentality” that he had this year and in the past. *Not sure if he will accept this, based on the information I have heard about RJ’s personality.*"

I think he is correct, if rj is allowed to develop slowly i do think he can become the triple doublw threat alot of us see in him. I do think he is going to he an above average 3 point shooter. His shot has changed already, his non shooting hand used to be a gate. It had decreased dramatically.

That doesn't sound like Fizdale's Knicks though
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,921

Post#940 » by stuporman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Guano wrote:

This is proof that these supposed 'experts' are not much more than posters on a forum but who happen to get paid to be wrong most of the time yet the posters here act like their opinion means something.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job

Return to New York Knicks