Thunder Offseason Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Re: Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#3881 » by slick_watts » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Even if Paul is a malcontent, I don’t see him doing irreparable damage if he’s here until the deadline.

it could be beneficial. he's still chris paul, the point god. if he was amenable to it he could be strong positive influence. i'm just not seeing him being amenable to it.
thekaoswithin
Junior
And1: 240

Post#3882 » by thekaoswithin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
jambalaya wrote:Meh to bad $30 plus million / yr contracts are becoming more numerous. Paul's won't look as bad in 12-18 months.

Paul's contract only looks bad to people who think all big contracts are bad. He is getting market value. If he were an FA this off-season he would have gotten a max contract even after his "decline" last year. Paul will likely "only" be a top 8 PG this year and top 10 next year while sliding to the 12-15 range in the final year of his contract. To put that in context, based on RPM, the 10th, 18th and 21st ranked PGs from last year all just signed max contracts. That would be Kemba, Ben Simmons and D'Angelo Russell. CP3 was 5th in RPM last yer so there is no argument against him being worth a max contract at this point unless you think he is going to drop from 5th to 20th next season. Houston had a significantly better winning percentage when CP3 played last year then when he didn't.

I'm not even going to touch this opinion.

But you know players have to, you know, play, to be useful, right Kizz? Therefore automatically disqualifying Paul from being useful to a team over the course of a season at this point in his career?

Chris Paul was 14th in PG EWA last year behind players like Lavine and DeAaron Fox. By your logic, he's only really the 14th best PG then.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#3883 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Even if Paul is a malcontent, I don’t see him doing irreparable damage if he’s here until the deadline.

Listening to Legler, Howard Beck and Evan Coen today on NBA Radio they basically made the point that it would be impossible for Paul to spoil anything with a bad attitude because there isn't anything to spoil. We aren't trying to win. I'm not sure its that's straightforward but it was a solid argument.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#3884 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Old Man Game wrote:

Listening to Legler, Howard Beck and Evan Coen today on NBA Radio they basically made the point that it would be impossible for Paul to spoil anything with a bad attitude because there isn't anything to spoil. We aren't trying to win. I'm not sure its that's straightforward but it was a solid argument.

Yea exactly. Once the trade deadline comes around, I see his value going up. Also there is a difference in not wanting to be here and creating an atmosphere that ruins the attitudes of all our young guys. As long as it’s not the latter I’m ok with him being dissatisfied.

Everyone thinks Miami has some leverage like we desperate to dump him. I see it the other way around.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#3885 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:54 pm

slick_watts wrote:

it could be beneficial. he's still chris paul, the point god. if he was amenable to it he could be strong positive influence. i'm just not seeing him being amenable to it.

Something's got to give though, he wants his money, he wants to be remembered as a great player, and he wants to beg out of this situation and just expect thunder managment to move heaven and earth to accomodate this request. That doesn't seem like all of it can work.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#3886 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 pm

thekaoswithin wrote:But you know players have to, you know, play, to be useful, right Kizz? Therefore automatically disqualifying Paul from being useful to a team over the course of a season at this point in his career?

Then I guess Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Embiid and Steph Curry aren't very valuable.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#3887 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Tell you what, Legler also made the argument that trading him for Ben Simmons, from Philly's perspective, wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world. Philly is in win now mode. And Ben Simmons isn't ready to win now. The guy doesn't even look at the basket to shoot outside of about 10 feet. Makes Philly's offense significantly easier to guard.

Legs argument was basically, you want to be a really good team for the next ten years, don't do that trade, but if you're all in to win over the next three years that trade would actually make sense. Because currently Paul would give them a dimension they don't have with Simmons at PG. Factor in that Horford is in or slightly past his prime, Harris is in or slightly past his prime, it doesn't sound that crazy to just go all in now from Philly's perspective.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#3888 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:02 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Yea exactly. Once the trade deadline comes around, I see his value going up. Also there is a difference in not wanting to be here and creating an atmosphere that ruins the attitudes of all our young guys. As long as it’s not the latter I’m ok with him being dissatisfied.

Everyone thinks Miami has some leverage like we desperate to dump him. I see it the other way around.

This. At this point the only thing I care aboutis developing SGA the best we can (the other guys as well but I don't really see potential in any of them). But yeah even for ''meh'' prospects a good atmosphere could be very helpful so I just don't want CP3 to ruin everything.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#3889 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Tell you what, Legler also made the argument that trading him for Ben Simmons, from Philly's perspective, wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world. Philly is in win now mode. And Ben Simmons isn't ready to win now. The guy doesn't even look at the basket to shoot outside of about 10 feet. Makes Philly's offense significantly easier to guard.

I don't believe they can trade Simmons for a year since they just gave him his 5yr extension. Simmons is never going to become a good shooter. The best you can hope is he becomes Giannis and do you really want someone with those percentages taking those shots? Giannis takes 72% of his shots within 10 ft of the basket. Simmons is at 90% of his shots in that range. Ideally, Simmons can get up to 35-40% in the mid-range, like Giannis, and take a few more jumpers, but due to his willingness to pass his poor mid-range game isn't hurting Philly that much.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#3890 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:06 am

What could he possibly do that's going to damage the development of the young guys more than the offense we've employed? Guys may hate him, but it's still going to be beneficial in terms of learning to work and run offenses.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
oreojenkins
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#3891 » by oreojenkins » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 am

Seems like they were just waiting for Westbrook's camp to be over to make the trade official.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#3892 » by retrobro90 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:31 am

Read on Twitter

Check out Sam's statement about Chris Paul. Are we keeping him or is this posturing?
oreojenkins
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#3893 » by oreojenkins » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 am

I think Presti is at least open to rolling with CP3 this season and seeing what develops. Sounds obvious, all I meant was he's not posturing.
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 38,814

Post#3894 » by Rapaz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:52 am

Read on Twitter

#WeHaveTooMuch
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#3895 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 am

Rapaz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Going me sardine or give me death.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3896 » by slick_watts » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:58 am

what is he supposed to say, lol?

chris paul is only here because houston didn't want him. we're trying to trade him some place without getting gouged so please be patient.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3897 » by slick_watts » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:59 am

Rapaz wrote:
Read on Twitter

is this viral marketing?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3898 » by slick_watts » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 am

random unimportant fact: after melo came off the bench for the rockets last season, chris paul is now the leader in games played without coming off the bench in nba history. kevin durant is #2.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#3899 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 am

Why would CP3 come here to take a physical if he was just gonna be shipped to Miami. I expect this CP3 stuff to go on for a little bit.

Miami didn’t budge on Westbrook so I expect the same stubbornness. What do you guys think is fair?

I don’t mind swapping 21 and 23 for 22 and 26. This would allow Miami to trade their 20 and 24 draft picks for a future asset. Right now Miami is unable to send any first round pick out based on the protections on the picks we have. We are also taking back some bad salary in these deals. I think any way you cut it the Thunder are taking on some bad money. In the $40 m extra the Heat are taking on they are getting the best player in the deal and a guy who can get you to the conference finals with Jimmy Butler.

Johnson @ $30 m
Waiters @ $24 m
Olynyk @ $24 m
Dragic @ $19 m
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#3900 » by Sinobas » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 am

So Damian Lillard not only knocked you guys out of the playoffs, he totally destroyed your team. =)

The shot that killed your franchise:

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder