Image ImageImage Image

NBA FA Signings / Available players

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

step
Lead Assistant
And1: 463

Re: NBA FA Signings / Available players 

Post#761 » by step » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
step wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Didn’t we do that to Larry Hughes then traded Wallace for him and the trade him for Tim Thomas who snubbed us?

Tim Thomas was a part of the Curry trade (Tim Thomas, Jermaine Jackson and Mike Sweetney + picks for Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis + picks), JR wasn't a part of it.

I was actually referring to the second Tim Thomas trade in 2009 because it fit my Larry Hughes narrative, which both loosely fit the JR Smith narrative to a degree. Hughes does for sure. Mind you I don’t want smith never did and don’t think he was coming here.

Ahh yes, sorry. We did indeed get him in return for Hughes. Such good times :(
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,398

Post#762 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 am

step wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
step wrote:Tim Thomas was a part of the Curry trade (Tim Thomas, Jermaine Jackson and Mike Sweetney + picks for Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis + picks), JR wasn't a part of it.

I was actually referring to the second Tim Thomas trade in 2009 because it fit my Larry Hughes narrative, which both loosely fit the JR Smith narrative to a degree. Hughes does for sure. Mind you I don’t want smith never did and don’t think he was coming here.

Spurned once and waived twice. It was pretty disheartening that TT stop us up at the alter.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#763 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:45 am

step wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
step wrote:Tim Thomas was a part of the Curry trade (Tim Thomas, Jermaine Jackson and Mike Sweetney + picks for Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis + picks), JR wasn't a part of it.

Yeah, JR Smith was part of the Tyson Chandler trade. We got PJ Brown and JR Smith then traded JR for Howard Eisley and a couple of 2nd rounders to Denver (selected JamesOn Curry and Aaron Gray).

Not a good trade.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#764 » by Am2626 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:48 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
step wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Yeah, JR Smith was part of the Tyson Chandler trade. We got PJ Brown and JR Smith then traded JR for Howard Eisley and a couple of 2nd rounders to Denver (selected JamesOn Curry and Aaron Gray).

Not a good trade.

Paxson just dumped JR Smith for nothing and then in the fall he comes back and drops 30 on them. He could have helped that Bulls team. If he really wanted to trade him at least try to get some value back.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#765 » by sco » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
:clap:
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#766 » by StunnerKO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 pm

JR Smith use to give us hell , he would have been really solid for us as a 20 -25 year old those Denver years.

Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#767 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 pm

sco wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

interesting!

I honestly didn't expect this to happen.

Not quite sure what his role will be or where he fits in the rotation but i'm sure they've talked about it.

Solid defender, good hustle, I guess what we wanted.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#768 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 pm

sco wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Interesting. Didn't think it would happen with the depth chart we currently have.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#769 » by dice » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Am2626 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
step wrote:Ahh yes, sorry. We did indeed get him in return for Hughes. Such good times :(

Not a good trade.

Paxson just dumped JR Smith for nothing and then in the fall he comes back and drops 30 on them. He could have helped that Bulls team. If he really wanted to trade him at least try to get some value back.

:lol:

NOBODY wanted j.r. smith. he was a #18 pick pick with an attitude problem who lost his starting job to rasual butler in new orleans and then fell out of the lineup entirely. getting 2 second rounders for a former #18 pick who was looking like he might wash out of the league was hardly a poor return. and you wanted us to keep him to play for SCOTT SKILES? i think not
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#770 » by MrSparkle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 pm

dice wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Yeah, JR Smith was part of the Tyson Chandler trade. We got PJ Brown and JR Smith then traded JR for Howard Eisley and a couple of 2nd rounders to Denver (selected JamesOn Curry and Aaron Gray).

Not a good trade.

NOBODY wanted j.r. smith. he was a #18 pick pick with an attitude problem who lost his starting job to rasual butler in new orleans and then fell out of the lineup entirely. getting 2 second rounders for a former #18 pick who was looking like he might wash out of the league was hardly a poor return. and you wanted us to keep him to play for SCOTT SKILES? i think not

What a ridiculous take.

Yet he ended up being a good player in DEN and helped CLE win a chip.

But I guess that exciting 07/08 Bulls season was far better than having a good player.

Skiles and Pax were both idiots.

I’m not saying they should’ve coddled and treated JR, but atleast give the guy a chance. See if the “good culture” guys can help him, or if the bigger market change of scenery helps. Don’t dump him for air.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#771 » by panthermark » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:34 pm

JR Smith was a knucklehead that would not have fit with the roster/coach. He wasn't a "Paxson guy" (you know what I mean), but I always thought it was a mistake to tell him to not get off the plane and salary dump him for nothing.

A few year later, I really wanted JR when we were DESPERATE for a SG to pair with Rose.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#772 » by rtblues » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:01 pm

sco wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's a shame we just brought in two guys, I always thought this kid was decent. That said, he never seems to stick anywhere - so maybe something wrong with him.

He was picked up by Detroit according to Shams.
Read on Twitter
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#773 » by MrSparkle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:06 pm

panthermark wrote:JR Smith was a knucklehead that would not have fit with the roster/coach. He wasn't a "Paxson guy" (you know what I mean), but I always thought it was a mistake to tell him to not get off the plane and salary dump him for nothing.

A few year later, I really wanted JR when we were DESPERATE for a SG to pair with Rose.

Talent > Attitude

You need to find a fine balance and as a coach and front office, make it work.

Shaq and Kobe had crappy attitudes and couldn’t act like adults. LAL kept them together for 3 chips.

Rodman had a crappy attitude. He almost ruined Pippen and Jordan’s careers with dangerous fouls as a Piston. They made it work as Bulls. There’s no way Rodman would’ve been available to Chicago had he not been exiled by the league for being a nutcase.

Iverson had crap attitude. He took a team of scrubs to the finals.

More than anything these guys need somebody to let them be them off-the-court and nurture their strengths on the court.

I realize it’s not easy, but Pax’s approach of avoiding these guys at all costs could very well be the difference between a 2nd round and ECFs team. Not to mention the message it sends to free agents.

Odom wasn’t an angel but Riley took him in and got his career on track. He did the same with some other bad seeds.

Thing that bugs me is Pax kind of blamed Krause’s players as part of the problem. Reality is Chandler, Crawford, Miller and Artest ended up being better talents and winning more games than anybody Pax drafted until Rose. Plain fact.

I’ve seen multiple versions of the “try-hard good attitude” team fail miserably in the 1st round. (04-07 team, 11/12 sans Rose and 13/14 team). Note that “bad attitude” Nate Robinson was actually fun to watch and helped us make rd 2 despite being the underdog. I’m OK with bringing in bad seeds if it means we’ll have an extra guy making 3P shots and being able to dribble past his defender.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#774 » by Am2626 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:35 pm

panthermark wrote:JR Smith was a knucklehead that would not have fit with the roster/coach. He wasn't a "Paxson guy" (you know what I mean), but I always thought it was a mistake to tell him to not get off the plane and salary dump him for nothing.

This is probably the biggest problem with this organization. They put too much emphasis on them and finding players to fit them as opposed to finding the best players to help them win. The NBA always was and is a players league. It’s not the other way around.

The Bulls team at that time wasn’t the 96 Bulls so to rule out someone because they have preconceived feelings about them is wrong. J R Smith had all the talent in the world. You never know if someone like Skiles or the try hard Bulls team could have tapped into his potential. You can always move him later if it didn’t work out but to not even entertain it and dump him for nothing is ignorant and foolish.
dice
RealGM

Post#775 » by dice » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:31 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
dice wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

What a ridiculous take.

only a person completely detached from the reality of that period of time would say that. what did i say that was wrong? that nobody wanted him? that he had an attitude problem? that he was a total bust in new orleans (despite no competition and starting alongside CHRIS PAUL)? that he was a bad fit on a young bulls team? j.r. smith had a red carpet laid out for him and took a dump on it. the '06-'07 bulls were not the '95-'96 bulls. they were a rising young team that did not have an established culture that would reasonably allow them to integrate a malcontent. hell, they couldn't even handle ben wallace. bringing j.r. smith into the fold would have been bat**** stupid

but sure, pax and skiles were idiots because they considered team chemistry and didn't want a guy that nobody else in the league wanted :thumbsup:

Yet he ended up being a good player in DEN and helped CLE win a chip.

irrelevant. he helped cleveland win a title TEN YEARS later...in his first season as a full-time starter...by doing little more than score 12 points a game hitting wide open shots playing off of lebron james. and who did he have to keep him in his place in denver? allen iverson. kinda like the bulls had MJ to keep rodman in his place. who did the baby bulls have to keep j.r. smith's outsized ego in check? hinrich?

But I guess that exciting 07/08 Bulls season was far better than having a good player.

except that he wasn't a good player at the time. he showed little sign of BEING a good player. or WANTING to be a good player

retrospect is a real easy game to play

I’m not saying they should’ve coddled and treated JR, but atleast give the guy a chance. See if the “good culture” guys can help him, or if the bigger market change of scenery helps. Don’t dump him for air.

"air" was all that was offered. we ACQUIRED him as an air add-on in a tyson chandler salary dump. and new orleans had a good culture as well...with more opportunity

i'm not sure how a bigger market helps a young headcase. the distractions are just magnified. it was boring DENVER where he found a few years of success as a backup (behind such notable starters as anthony carter and steve blake). he then disappointed in big market NYC before rebounding in another boring smaller market

j.r. smith's best numbers season was 15/4/3 on solid but nothing special efficiency as a 6th man for denver

the people who pined for j.r. smith are by and large the same ones that wanted to get rid of the easily superior luol deng...and wanted to re-sign ben gordon for big $...and scoffed when jimmy butler got the nickname "jimmy buckets" from stacey king
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#776 » by jump » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Yes, dice. You said exactly what I was thinking. Thanks.
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#777 » by Chitownbulls » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Am2626 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
step wrote:Ahh yes, sorry. We did indeed get him in return for Hughes. Such good times :(

Not a good trade.

Didnt even let JR Smith practice with us...he was a promising young player at the time too.
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#778 » by Chitownbulls » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Am2626 wrote:

This is probably the biggest problem with this organization. They put too much emphasis on them and finding players to fit them as opposed to finding the best players to help them win. The NBA always was and is a players league. It’s not the other way around.

The Bulls team at that time wasn’t the 96 Bulls so to rule out someone because they have preconceived feelings about them is wrong. J R Smith had all the talent in the world. You never know if someone like Skiles or the try hard Bulls team could have tapped into his potential. You can always move him later if it didn’t work out but to not even entertain it and dump him for nothing is ignorant and foolish.

YUP +100
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

NBA FA Signings / Available players 

Post#779 » by StunnerKO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Jr Smith was a plus offensive players after his first two years in the league Image

Def would have filled the Ben Gordon role after he left

This Gordon

dice
RealGM

Post#780 » by dice » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:31 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

YUP +100

were all the other GMs/coaches ignorant and foolish to not trade more than second round picks for j.r.?

Return to Chicago Bulls