ImageImageImage

Trade for DeMar DeRozan...

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Trade for DeMar DeRozan... 

Post#1 » by Kilo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:05 am

More tweeter sources. Linked here probably because of Casey. But it's the off-season doldrums soooo.....

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

San Antonio doesn't want to extend DDR, and unless he's extended DDR will exercise his PO and walk so he's basically an expiring contract (unless he gets injured).

As for the Detroit interest -

Read on Twitter

He kills our spacing assuming a Rose/DeRozan back court with Jackson needing to be outgoing for salary matching purposes. Galloway needs to go out as well for salary. He's an expiring so I wouldn't give up Sekou Doumbouya or future FRP's - the only asset I'd be willing to include would be Luke Kennard who would be blocked here with DDR bring brought in.

We send out 1.5M more than we take in with a DDR for Kennard/Jackson/Galloway package, so we'd have tax room for another vet minimum deal (along with our current space for one) which we could use to sign a Jeremy Lin or Trey Burke.

Rose|Lin*|Frazier|(Bone)
DeRozan|Brown|Thomas
Snell|Mykhailiuk|Doumbouya|(King)
Griffin|Morris
Drummond|Koufous*|Maker

Not sure our offer would send a tingle up the leg of San Antonio. They'd surely get better offers.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: Trade for DeMar DeRozan... 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:44 am

If your grabbing a guy like Derozan then i would just move Drummond. Put Blake at the 5 so you dont have to worry about the poor spacing so much.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#3 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 am

DDR can opt out after this season. We better not give up Sekou for a one year rental of DDR. If Pop gets Sekou hes going to be a star.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 am

Yeah we’re not going to keep him, he’s a rental.

Dubious fit with the bigs too. I think I’d like it if a big was being shipped out somehow. Depends of course on the particulars of the trade though.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#5 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 am

Snakebites wrote:Yeah we’re not going to keep him, he’s a rental.

Dubious fit with the bigs too. I think I’d like it if a big was being shipped out somehow. Depends of course on the particulars of the trade though.

The trade would begin with Jackson, Galloway, Kennard, and an unprotected FRP. I’m not sure if that is enough for SAS or I’m willing to give more.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:27 am

DetroitDon15 wrote:

The trade would begin with Jackson, Galloway, Kennard, and an unprotected FRP. I’m not sure if that is enough for SAS or I’m willing to give more.

Yeah, I can see a fit with Blake maybe but with both he and Dre I feel like Derozen would have to settle for jumpers a lot. Not ideal.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#7 » by sc8581 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:37 am

Drummond, Reggie and Galloway for DeRozan and Aldridge, spacing no longer an issue.

Aldridge
Blake
DeRozan
Kennard
Rose or Brown because DeRozan will likely run the offense and we would need scoring off the bench.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:19 am

I do seem to remember Pop not wanting any part of a rebuild as his coaching career draws to a possible end. While they didn't particularly want to trade Kawhi within the conference, this lack of a desire for a rebuild is a significant part of the reason they declined the Lakers' package of prospects for Kawhi and opted for the established all star in Derozen instead.

I don't see them taking a rebuilding type package here. They'd probably be looking for players who can help them now. No idea who, but our expirings and prospects/picks package probably doesn't work for them since they already have him as an expiring.

I don't know what I'd give up in a deal like this as I don't particularly like the fit, but I doubt the Spurs see us as natural trade partners.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#9 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:35 am

Thinking about this more I'm fine with trading for DDR if the plan is to NOT resign him. If we trade for him for one season and give Blake a all star to run with and then move on its ok with me. I'm not giving up more then Kennard/Reggie/next years 1st though. No Sekou.

I do not want to lock up DDR to a max till hes 35. That just screams treadmill for even longer. After the season we can trade Blake.

We get one year of what i imagine is 2nd round ball and then can rebuild.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#10 » by dVs33 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:26 am

I wonder if there is any interest from the spurs in a dre/dd swap. I'd be interested for sure. Move Galloway for baynes and we're sorted.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#11 » by pistonsbball » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:50 am

Would be funny if the Knicks traded Mook for DeRozan.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#12 » by DBC10 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 am

DDR, Blake, and Drummond is almost as bad of spacing with just having Josh Smith at SF era again, so let's really not try to go that route.

Drummond and Derozan make roughly around the same contracts give or take 2 mil, so I'm wondering if almost a straight swap would get it done. No giving up Sekou as a throw in, which doesn't make sense. I'd be wary of giving up Kennard too, since he's the only real lights out shooter this team has.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#13 » by pistonsbball » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:02 am

I think we can get a 1st or a young piece in a Dre deal. There'll be at least one team that bites on his "potential".
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#14 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 pm

No Deal, why are the Pistons connected to every trade?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#15 » by bstein14 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Casey literally sat DeMar late in playoff games because of his poor defense. I can't see us being interested in giving up any assets for him. I'd be super bummed if we gave up a great young cheap shooter in Kennard for him, as Kennard much better fits what we need and likely could/will be here for multiple years.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#16 » by thesack12 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Very expensive, Bad defender, and no range on his shot. Yup, sounds just like the kind of guy Detroit should be trading away assets for.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#17 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:

Yeah, I can see a fit with Blake maybe but with both he and Dre I feel like Derozen would have to settle for jumpers a lot. Not ideal.

I agree but I th8nk Derozen will be able to attack the basket better than anyone else. I also think Snell might help with floor spacing.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#18 » by Manocad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:22 am

thesack12 wrote:Very expensive, Bad defender, and no range on his shot. Yup, sounds just like the kind of guy Detroit should be trading away assets for.

Sometimes you have to take the biggest of risks!
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#19 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 am

Manocad wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Very expensive, Bad defender, and no range on his shot. Yup, sounds just like the kind of guy Detroit should be trading away assets for.

Sometimes you have to take the biggest of risks!

Way to take my post completely out of context yet again, but hey, I'm not surprised with you. That's what you do because you don't have the logic to actually handle a point accurately. I never said trading for DeRozan was the biggest of risks. I said TOR trading DeRozan, their best player, for 1 year rental was the biggest of risks because you are giving up your best player for hope that Leonard resigns with you or left with nothing going forward. Now instead of TOR being the best team in the East for the next few years, they will be retooling dramatically or tearing it down to rebuild.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#20 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 am

Casey and DeRozan love each other and if we have good success with him I think we would have a very strong chance of keeping him. I don't see how anyone can just assume he is a rental.

Return to Detroit Pistons