ImageImage

Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1181 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Along these lines, I find it annoying when someone like popular Bucks Twitter follow NoTechBen does a lump/generalization like 'I bet the people who are anti-Middleton want to turn around and have us go after Westbrook, perfect Venn diagram' to prop himself up..

I like Ben, but yes, I did want to do a follow-up to ask him about the Venn diagram for people who supported Middleton getting $178 million but then wonder why the Bucks owners don't have an extra $25+ million might to pay what would have been the year one luxury tax ramifications of matching Brogdon.

Uh, the money is fungible. You can't magically pretend that the $178 million given to Khris somehow has no impact on why the team is cautious about going in the luxury tax the year before a Giannis super-max might kick in. 8-)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#1182 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Since we’re talking about the LoB guys I’ll first say how much I appreciate the consistent content through out the season especially. I’ll sometimes hop over to other locked on podcast only to find most of them post twice a week and only 20-40 min at that. Our guys cover every little thing is for around 50 min while having it available next day. Early too, which is great for me cause my day starts at 4 am. So again I am extremely thankful for that. But... I definitely see an arrogance lately, especially today’s. We get that Eric hates summer league and we’re at a point where most of the guys won’t be more then rotational players but while he’s there it would have been nice to get an interview with some of them.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#1183 » by emunney » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Everybody who disagrees with me on one thing is equally dumb and wrong about all things. It is normal and smart to assume this.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MuckyFingers
Junior
And1: 146

Post#1184 » by MuckyFingers » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 am

kid idioteque wrote:
midranger wrote:Honest question, why do people pay attention to/follow Eric Nehm?

I like the IDEA of an outsider covering the Bucks (i.e. Kane Pitman) but you know if an outsider was critical of the Bucks or tried to do any actual reporting they'd lose access immediately.

Same goes for the Brewers. Haudricourt and McCalvy are miserable. Possibly even worse than Nehm and Valesquez.

Haudricourt has been the biggest organizational lackey in the history of Milwaukee sports reporting. McCalvy is an arrogant knob himself but at least can point to Ned Yost yelling at him 12 years ago.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,251

Post#1185 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:34 am

MuckyFingers wrote:
kid idioteque wrote:
midranger wrote:Honest question, why do people pay attention to/follow Eric Nehm?

I like the IDEA of an outsider covering the Bucks (i.e. Kane Pitman) but you know if an outsider was critical of the Bucks or tried to do any actual reporting they'd lose access immediately.

Same goes for the Brewers. Haudricourt and McCalvy are miserable. Possibly even worse than Nehm and Valesquez.

Haudricourt has been the biggest organizational lackey in the history of Milwaukee sports reporting. McCalvy is an arrogant knob himself but at least can point to Ned Yost yelling at him 12 years ago.

Haudricourt's value comes from his reporting. He's broken more news than every other Wisconsin writer combined.
Read on Twitter
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,011

Post#1186 » by MVP2110 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 am

Gotta say personally I love LOB. Easily my favorite podcast to listen. Eric can be a little arrogant at times but I think his takes are usually well reasoned and thought out. Frank is absolutely fantastic to listen too, my favorite Bucks twitter/podcast person. I do wish Nehm or Velasquez would break some news from time to time though
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1187 » by MVP2110 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:53 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
MuckyFingers wrote:
kid idioteque wrote:

Haudricourt's value comes from his reporting. He's broken more news than every other Wisconsin writer combined.

Honest question here, what news has he broken?
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,251

Post#1188 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:34 am

MVP2110 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
MuckyFingers wrote:Haudricourt has been the biggest organizational lackey in the history of Milwaukee sports reporting. McCalvy is an arrogant knob himself but at least can point to Ned Yost yelling at him 12 years ago.

Honest question here, what news has he broken?

He's clued in to what the front office is doing so his rumors are generally reliable and he has a long history of breaking Brewers trades (including major ones such as the Sabathia deal) and news (like the Braun suspension saga) before anybody else.

Read on Twitter
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#1189 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:44 am

To this day what puts me off the most about LOB is when Nehm says the word "interesting", which seems to be by far his most used word. Dude, it's a non-word that means exactly nothing, which is perfectly fine for everyone else, but if you want to make a living out of talking you gotta say something more meaningful than that.

Other than that I appreciate every effort to cover the Bucks, there's so little out there that I'm not going to complain about people having different opinions than me or sounding a bit arrogant at times. It is what it is.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#1190 » by truly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 am

Pachinko_ wrote:To this day what puts me off the most about LOB is when Nehm says the word "interesting", which seems to be by far his most used word. Dude, it's a non-word that means exactly nothing, which is perfectly fine for everyone else, but if you want to make a living out of talking you gotta say something more meaningful than that.

Other than that I appreciate every effort to cover the Bucks, there's so little out there that I'm not going to complain about people having different opinions than me or sounding a bit arrogant at times. It is what it is.

Coming from Greek sports media where you know when a player took a **** to the Bucks coverage is quite the adjustment. :D
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#1191 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am

truly wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:To this day what puts me off the most about LOB is when Nehm says the word "interesting", which seems to be by far his most used word. Dude, it's a non-word that means exactly nothing, which is perfectly fine for everyone else, but if you want to make a living out of talking you gotta say something more meaningful than that.

Coming from Greek sports media where you know when a player took a **** to the Bucks coverage is quite the adjustment. :D

Honestly if you think of it from a player's perspective it's probably a selling point, these guys can actually go out and have a normal life without people recording and uploading everything.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#1192 » by GBPackers47 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
truly wrote:

Honestly if you think of it from a player's perspective it's probably a selling point, these guys can actually go out and have a normal life without people recording and uploading everything.

Yes but Milwaukee does also have people
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#1193 » by tski1972 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 pm

interesting.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1194 » by bizarro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:37 pm

tski1972 wrote:

interesting.

I’ll raise your ‘interesting’ with a Frank Madden “And, again...”
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#1195 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 pm

MuckyFingers wrote:
kid idioteque wrote:

McCalvy is one of the best in the business, IMO.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#1196 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:49 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Gotta say personally I love LOB. Easily my favorite podcast to listen. Eric can be a little arrogant at times but I think his takes are usually well reasoned and thought out. Frank is absolutely fantastic to listen too, my favorite Bucks twitter/podcast person. I do wish Nehm or Velasquez would break some news from time to time though

Why? Like who cares? I've read similar criticisms a number of times over the years about the local guys who cover our team. You realize there are just a handful of humans across the three major sports in this country who actually "break" news, right?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#1197 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:59 pm

As we complain about our local guys, it could be worse. Pacers beat writer for Indy Star wrote an article on small markets, using Tobias Harris as key point of his story, then botches details of Harris contract.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

NEW BEGINThat's what Tobias Harris wanted -- to compete for a title -- and the money.

The Pacers tried to pursue Harris, who's family has deep ties to the franchise's late/great Mel Daniels, but they failed to set up a meeting not because he wasn't interested in a small market. It was because, league sources tell IndyStar, Harris only would meet with teams that could present him with a max term offer sheet.

That was his line in the sand.

An exploratory call from the Pacers wasn't turned down. Given the other holes on the roster they had to fill, they knew they lacked the buy-in chips for the Harris sweepstakes.

There's an upside to all of this. Among the seven teams that were prepared to give Harris a max term offer sheet were New Orleans, Sacramento and Utah -- all small markets he'd scheduled to meet. The Jazz were near the top of his wish list but they went off the board when they traded for Conley and his $30 million-plus-a-year salary. Denver, not a big market but the No. 2 team in the conference last season, was of particular interest to Harris but the Nuggets couldn't offer the max after picking up Paul Millsap's $30 million option.

Harris ended up not meeting with anyone after the Philadelphia 76ers, who'd traded for him during the season, came through as promised with a max offer for $141 million over four years on June 30.

No one got a meeting.

The strong culture established by Pritchard and McMillan made them worth the look. But with Harris in his physical prime, he wants to compete for a championship now. The Pacers aren't there yet.

Market size and off-the-court opportunities were not disqualifying factors for a second-tier free agent such as Harris.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#1198 » by truly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
truly wrote:

Why would i think about it from a player's perspective?I am a selfish fan :D
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1199 » by MVP2110 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:50 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Gotta say personally I love LOB. Easily my favorite podcast to listen. Eric can be a little arrogant at times but I think his takes are usually well reasoned and thought out. Frank is absolutely fantastic to listen too, my favorite Bucks twitter/podcast person. I do wish Nehm or Velasquez would break some news from time to time though

Why? Like who cares? I've read similar criticisms a number of times over the years about the local guys who cover our team. You realize there are just a handful of humans across the three major sports in this country who actually "break" news, right?

Maybe breaking news isn't the best way to word it. Rather I wish they could give legitimate insight and find out the specifics on details(ex, what 2nd round picks did we get, what is the guarantee on Hill's 3rd year). Someone National might not care about those small details but someone local should try and find out. Haudricourt is a great example for the Brewers, Velasquez always seems to be able to confirm stories, but let's see him actually find something out, even if it's small.
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#1200 » by WimpyDeer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:02 pm

It's embarrassing that Gery is our most connected beat writer

Return to Milwaukee Bucks