ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,358

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#941 » by Iron Mantis » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:15 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shooting what % against players who will never start for NBA teams?

True.

That certainly does erase the fact that he made history.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,204

Post#942 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

True.

:lol:
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,418

Post#943 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

True.

Yeah, we'll be talking about this Summer League performance - along with all the other historic SL performances - for decades to come.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,846

Post#944 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:33 pm

stuporman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

LOL, you know that every NBA draft prognosticator bats around .340. This was low hanging fruit, brother, but a slick move on your part. #Respek :bowdown: :lol:

Just because he's wrong about other players doesn't mean he didn't get RJ right.

This is proof that these supposed 'experts' are not much more than posters on a forum but who happen to get paid to be wrong most of the time yet the posters here act like their opinion means something.

In all fairness to "professional" analysts and to Spencer in particular, I respect the work it takes to break down a player's profile and support it with good analytics and insights. It is not that easy to do at a level that separates you from the million online scout wannabes.

Doing that very well takes commitment and goes far beyond the hot take of the media talking heads who are rarely objective stats junkies. When the famous media guys do produce statistical evidence to back their opinion on players it is often cherry picked in a highly subjective manner.

That said, even with all of the analytical tools at your disposal and the will to use them, legit moneyball practitioners are still going to be wrong a lot of the time. It seems the difference between being a professional data analyst in sports and a solid amateur may be a matter of percentage points in terms of which draft picks succeed or fail in the NBA. And that's not a knock on the profession, because those possibly slim margins may be the difference between winning or losing or the edge that lands you a great player at any draft position.

As a mere fan though, I'd say will and temperament are hard to quantify and that is often the difference between success and failure. It is why in the end the eye test or gut check will still always be a factor in choosing the right guys.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,893

Post#945 » by stuporman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
LOL, you know that every NBA draft prognosticator bats around .340. This was low hanging fruit, brother, but a slick move on your part. #Respek :bowdown: :lol:

Just because he's wrong about other players doesn't mean he didn't get RJ right.

This is proof that these supposed 'experts' are not much more than posters on a forum but who happen to get paid to be wrong most of the time yet the posters here act like their opinion means something.

In all fairness to "professional" analysts and to Spencer in particular, I respect the work it takes to break down a player's profile and support it with good analytics and insights. It is not that easy to do at a level that separates you from the million online scout wannabes.

Doing that very well takes commitment and goes far beyond the hot take of the media talking heads who are rarely objective stats junkies. When the famous media guys do produce statistical evidence to back their opinion on players it is often cherry picked in a highly subjective manner.

That said, even with all of the analytical tools at your disposal and the will to use them, legit moneyball practitioners are still going to be wrong a lot of the time. It seems the difference between being a professional data analyst in sports and a solid amateur may be a matter of percentage points in terms of which draft picks succeed or fail in the NBA. And that's not a knock on the profession, because those possibly slim margins may be the difference between winning or losing or the edge that lands you a great player at any draft position.

As a mere fan though, I'd say will and temperament are hard to quantify and that is often the difference between success and failure. It is why in the end the eye test or gut check will still always be a factor in choosing the right guys.

All that time, effort and dedication and they're still wrong more than they are right... brilliant. Their opinion is meaningful why? Because they act like it is and some believe them?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#946 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:52 pm

stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:

All that time, effort and dedication and they're still wrong more than they are right... brilliant. Their opinion is meaningful why? Because they act like it is and some believe them?

I believe I made a more thoughtful and nuanced post than your bratty take indicates
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#947 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I believe I made a more thoughtful and nuanced post than your bratty take indicates

Baseball players dedicate their entire lives learning how to hit a small ball coming at them at 95 MPH, and the all time greats only do it successfully 30% of the time.

Why are they even bothering :lol:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#948 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:17 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Baseball players dedicate their entire lives learning how to hit a small ball coming at them at 95 MPH, and the all time greats only do it successfully 30% of the time.

Ted Williams!

(that's all I've got)
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#949 » by Zenzibar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

True.

Disagree here. It's never been done before, even against players that will never make it into the NBA. So this shows that this 19 is pretty impactful at every level.
smw6230
Senior
And1: 263

Post#950 » by smw6230 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Ted Williams!

(that's all I've got)

Tony Grynn

... both reppin' San Diego.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#951 » by Oscirus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:41 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Baseball is skill based while prognosticating is guessing with some research thrown in. If weatherman got the weather right 30-40 percent of the time they'd be a joke yet when these people do it, we accept their word as gospel
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,098

Post#952 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#953 » by GONYK » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Oscirus wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Cuz they get paid good money for it. If weatherman got the weather right 30-40 percent of the time they'd be a joke yet when these people do it, we accept their word as gospel

Weather forecasters are wrong all the time, and they get paid a bunch of money :lol:

One study found that when television meteorologists in Kansas predicted that there was a 100% chance of rain, it didn’t rain at all one-third of the time. And there is much anecdotal evidence for forecasters’ unreliability. In 2009, heavy rains dampened a “barbecue summer” prediction by Britain’s Met office. In January last year American meteorologists apologised profusely on Twitter for predicting a “crippling” and “historic” blizzard that never arrived. Why do weathermen seem to get it wrong so often?
https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2016/06/19/why-weather-forecasts-are-so-often-wrong
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#954 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Dam Knicks news dry as ever. I hope something big happens
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#955 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:After long and careful consideration I can now say with complete confidence the perfect comp for RJ Barrett is Tilda Swinton

Make the Knicks great again!
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,597

Post#956 » by DaGawd » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:29 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Dam Knicks news dry as ever. I hope something big happens

Well free agency is done for the most part..now we wait until training camp
BaF
Washington Wizards
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,358

Post#957 » by Iron Mantis » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:34 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

True.

Yeah, we'll be talking about this Summer League performance - along with all the other historic SL performances - for decades to come.

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,203

Post#958 » by KnicksGod » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:46 pm

When he had a rough start, the bust train rushed toward the station. Then passengers started leaving the platform slowly until there were only a few left.

What would you do in that situation? I'd just go through the station like an express train and say I'm glad I can do that ... for now. But many or most people have to pretend it will be a full train. That's their bad though.

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#959 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:13 pm

DaGawd wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Dam Knicks news dry as ever. I hope something big happens

Well free agency is done for the most part..now we wait until training camp

I kinda hope we go for Beal tbh
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#960 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:So RJ said he's "the best player in the draft"? I thought somebody was telling me how humble he is.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/05/rj-barrett-zion-williamson-nba-draft-lottery-best-player-duke

Oh god this humble kid **** again...nope, go watch some Duke post games, he's cocky, he calls himself THE MAPLE MAMBA, you know, the title of this thread??

And you know what...that's what his organization needs in their draft pick, a kid who has that kind of self awareness and attitude to put up with this **** organization, it's fanbase which thinks more highly of itself than it should and the non-sense media here.

Bondy asked him, in his first press conference, if his shoulders are ready to carry the pressure of being a Knick.....pressure of what...being a loser? OK! His answer was that he's 19 and the question is stupid...next!

If there was a kid built for the non-sense that comes with playing for the Knicks, it's this kid. That number one fatso would have been chewed up alive right now if he was missing summer camp wearing a Knicks uniform by you guys, we would have him face planted in a gallon of Haagan Daz by the All-Star break if he was here and all they talked about was his chubby cheeks.

This kid is going to be alright, unfortunately we'll get to see him at his peak in Toronto when he finally says **** this **** and packs his bags.
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."

Return to New York Knicks