ImageImageImageImageImage

LeBron James Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

LeBron James Thread 

Post#1 » by thebigbird » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:02 am

I figured it'd make sense to have a LeBron thread for all of the miscellaneous LeBron talk.

One thing that I didn't like about LeBron last year was that I thought he started the season too big and overweight. It took him a little while to get into game shape. He didn't look like his usual bouncy self, and he wasn't moving as well. In the West you just can't have that. I think he was enjoying LA a little bit too much and wasn't focused as much on basketball.

Fast forward to now, and it looks like he's learned his lesson. It's only mid-July and he already looks better than he did in late October of last year. He should be ready to hit the ground running as soon as the season starts.

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Re: LeBron James Thread 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:26 am

Read on Twitter
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#3 » by iamworthy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:43 am

But we already knew they were the best duo!!
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#4 » by iamworthy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:44 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#5 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Read on Twitter

what better way to build chemistry than tacos and wine
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#6 » by NBAWestFan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Lets see if he is the Lebron of old or just Old.

We will find on this year and hopefully deep in the playoffs.

Lakers need to monitor him and if not try to trade him.

But give him at least one playoffs to see if they can win. If they win keep him for another.

I would consider trading him toward the end of his contract unless he is on his way to a three peat.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#7 » by supaflash » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Good lord LeBron is a dorky dad... its kind of endearing..

I think people need to remember he came off his 9th finals run in a row.. thats insane playtime. Plus the fact that he hurt his hand after the JR Smith debacle and then moving to LA, I'm not surprised he wasn't in the best shape last year. I also think he kinda knew it was gonna be a semi coast year until the playoffs if they made it. This is the first year he's had the playoffs and summer off so I'm excited to see what he can do.

It will be interesting to see his game evolve a bit with AD too, kind of like Kobe with Pau. If you look around there are a lot of articles that show he puts a ton of time money and effort into his health, diet, recovery etc. Barring a major injury I see no reason why he cant still be dominant for a few more years at least, especially if he can offload a lot of the carry on to AD.

With AD,McGee, and Boogie around the rim, we have the makings to be a great defensive team which will also hopefully help preserve him a bit during the season.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,828

Post#8 » by Beethoven » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:22 pm

Cant wait to see him bring in a couple of championships with AD . Have his number (6 ) retired in the rafters.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Re: Skip Bayless: LeBron showed up a bunch of kids in that layup line 

Post#9 » by Karmaloop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:44 pm

And this is why we don't link to Skip Bayless sound bites...he doesn't say anything worthwhile.
Yunsta
Ballboy
And1: 29

Post#10 » by Yunsta » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:50 pm

NBAWestFan wrote:Lets see if he is the Lebron of old or just Old.

But give him at least one playoffs to see if they can win. If they win keep him for another.

I would consider trading him toward the end of his contract unless he is on his way to a three peat.

Bro get over it the Lakers are not trading lebron maybe if he asked for one. I’m sure if he ops out of the 4th year the Lakers will def offer him a new deal. If they show him the same respect they gave Kobe they probably will keep offering him contracts just so he’s a laker when he breaks all the sporting records
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#11 » by Ainosterhaspie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:15 pm

So, full disclosure, I'm a LeBron fan not a Laker fan, but our interests are aligned right now. Here's some of my thoughts about him and the Lakers entering the season

--

LeBron's first year in Miami and then in Cleveland part 2 were both down years. Both times he was much better year two. (Not just because he won titles either, he played better start to finish). Last year, first year in LA, that trend continued with a down yeat. Hopeful he has the rebound year this year as he has with his last two new teams.

--

Lebron's age is showing. It was noticeable in 2016, and has been more so each year that followed. Speed, endurance and explosiveness are all significantly off what they once were, though he still can occasionally summon them briefly.

But he's been able to remain effective with more polished skills as he demonstrated in the 2018 playoffs. That will help him stave off age related decline on the offensive end.

Defense is more troubling as he can't put in high energy there and on the offense for any sustained amount of time. This year's roster should cover that weakness well though with Davis covering for him at the rim and good perimeter defenders like Green and Bradley. If LeBron can play free safety, he should be very imlactful defensively even while protecting his energy reserves.

--

People like to lump Bosh and Love and now Davis together as bigs who underperformed next to James. This is unfair to Love in particular who was an excellent and productive offensive fit (when healthy) next to James. His value wasn't in posting up and attacking the rim, something he was comparatively weak at, but in providing spacing for both James and Irving. He excelled in that role even if his box score stats couldn't show it, and was a key part to all time great playoff offenses. There was great synergy between James and Love.

Bosh was not as good a fit on the offensive end because he didn't have the same range as Love, so he couldn't stretch the floor as effectively. He also wasn't particularly effective attacking the rim. He provided great value on the defensive end, but was only a moderately effective offensive piece who didn't synergize well with James.

Davis is close to being an ideal amalgamation of Bosh and Love lacking only the long range efficacy of Love. He's a superior defender and rim threat compared to both Love and Bosh and will be the best rim protector James has played with. James has been effective working with big men like Mosgov, Varejao and Ilgauskas none of whom are close to what Davis is, so there is reason to think that he will synergize well with Davis especially with another big spacing the floor (Kuzma or Cousins). James has often had the likes of Tristan Thompson, or Joel Anthony clogging up the floor at the five, but unless they run heavy minutes of Davis/McGee that shouldn't be an issue on this team.

Bottom line, I think Davis will be the best big LeBron has played with, not just in terms of talent, but in terms of production as well. And it will help that he's not third fiddle to Wade/Irving like Bosh and Love were.

--

James' erratic shoot and free throws is something to watch. He really needs to fix both to slow the declines of aging. He looked great in the 2018 playoffs, but that's starting to seem like a small sample possible anomaly after last year and the previous regular season. Still James hasn't played hard in the regular season since 2013, so it's hard to know where he is until the playoffs start.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#12 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:So, full disclosure, I'm a LeBron fan not a Laker fan, but our interests are aligned right now. Here's some of my thoughts about him and the Lakers entering the season

Lebron's age is showing. It was noticeable in 2016, and has been more so each year that followed. Speed, endurance and explosiveness are all significantly off what they once were, though he still can occasionally summon them briefly.

But he's been able to remain effective with more polished skills as he demonstrated in the 2018 playoffs. That will help him stave off age related decline on the offensive end.

Defense is more troubling as he can't put in high energy there and on the offense for any sustained amount of time. This year's roster should cover that weakness well though with Davis covering for him at the rim and good perimeter defenders like Green and Bradley. If LeBron can play free safety, he should be very imlactful defensively even while protecting his energy reserves.

James' erratic shoot and free throws is something to watch. He really needs to fix both to slow the declines of aging. He looked great in the 2018 playoffs, but that's starting to seem like a small sample possible anomaly after last year and the previous regular season. Still James hasn't played hard in the regular season since 2013, so it's hard to know where he is until the playoffs start.

I truly enjoyed how you butchered 3ball, a noted Lebron basher from ( I heard he was banned here and rightfully so)another site. :D

Lebron's age is a concern for me too esp the explosiveness and lift. I recently watched the Finals 2017 and noticed those signs too.
He is much wiser now as compared to 10 years ago IMO and hopefully he can maximize this and use his teammates' strengths more esp now they have shooting. what's your opinion about bigbird's (he seems like a bright Lebron fan) comment ?
One thing that I didn't like about LeBron last year was that I thought he started the season too big and overweight. It took him a little while to get into game shape. He didn't look like his usual bouncy self, and he wasn't moving as well. In the West you just can't have that. I think he was enjoying LA a little bit too much and wasn't focused as much on basketball.

If this is true, then it's a concern for me, bec now seeds of doubt about his total commitment has been planted in my mind.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#13 » by Ainosterhaspie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:03 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:I truly enjoyed how you butchered 3ball, a noted Lebron basher from ( I heard he was banned here and rightfully so)another site. :D

:beer:

Haven't done anything there, but lurk for a long time. So little that's worth reading.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#14 » by Spanish_Laker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 pm

NBAWestFan wrote:Lets see if he is the Lebron of old or just Old.

You are welcome to go back to the general board, mate.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#15 » by iamworthy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:25 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#16 » by lazybatman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:09 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849649-who-are-the-nbas-best-scorers-when-it-counts

Guess whose got a clutch gene like no other - still the best player in the game.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#17 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:49 pm

https://streamable.com/zet2c

wtf is he doing here?
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#18 » by iamworthy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:53 am