2019 Free Agency

Moderator: G R E Y

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Re: 2019 Free Agency 

Post#61 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:35 am

On Russ',

I still am a fan of his game and even how he carries himself for the most part. He is usually misunderstood and things like "stats guy" is just wrong and undeserved, considering his work ethic, approach to the game and communication about his play, is primed to the team -- but at this point on both sides, probably not a good fit at all.

I do think if there's teams to get him right it'd be the Spurs or Miami or GS... orgs with hard-line, established, but internally open cultures, "you get your work done, we love you and will work with you within all reason". I wish him the best and am rooting for him to have a better situation, and hopefully he improves his jumper.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Biscayne Beast
Senior
And1: 594

Post#62 » by Biscayne Beast » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Hey guys, Heat fan here.
I wanted to know how expendable LaMarcus Aldridge is to your team atm?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Post#63 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Biscayne Beast wrote:Hey guys, Heat fan here.
I wanted to know how expendable LaMarcus Aldridge is to your team atm?

I doubt he is expendable at all to be honest. Unless he asks to leave again and I don't think that's happened. I think the team is happy with the roster even with the Morris thing happening. Now if this roster comes up lame this season, next off season could be completely different as we see how fast things change in this league.

Just my opinion, but I don't see anyone on the Heat roster I would be interested in anyway at the expense of losing Aldridge.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:16 am

Morris and Nerlens Noel have both fired Rich Paul. I find this HILARIOUS! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully others will follow.
KrisPol
Junior
And1: 350

Post#65 » by KrisPol » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 am

I suppose there aren't plenty of us but i Like the Lyles signing. He could be a productive player in the Spurs system
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:25 pm

KrisPol wrote:I suppose there aren't plenty of us but i Like the Lyles signing. He could be a productive player in the Spurs system

I don't know a ton about him but from what I have seen he has more of an upside than a Drew Eubanks or a Ben Moore. He doesn't seem to have a motor like Chimezie Metu but he has plenty more potential.

Obviously he's not going to help us the way Morris would have which is why people are even more down on him than usual IMO.
If he was just a random signing and not an alternative to Morris I think people would be more about giving him a shot.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,901

Post#67 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:01 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
KrisPol wrote:I suppose there aren't plenty of us but i Like the Lyles signing. He could be a productive player in the Spurs system

I don't know a ton about him but from what I have seen he has more of an upside than a Drew Eubanks or a Ben Moore. He doesn't seem to have a motor like Chimezie Metu but he has plenty more potential.

Obviously he's not going to help us the way Morris would have which is why people are even more down on him than usual IMO.
If he was just a random signing and not an alternative to Morris I think people would be more about giving him a shot.

Yeah to add to that, it's unfair to him as a comparison to MM, but until he can prove otherwise, he's not even the better alternative to Davis, who we traded to make room for Morris. Trey and Davis have very similar points / rebounds numbers (though Trey on four fewer minutes), but with neither being a great defender or rebounder, Davis has his deadly 3 shot as a big go-to edge, and we had ATO plays for him for quick points. He was also great in the locker room, is resilient and coachable, and knows the Spurs system.

Trey couldn't stick in two very good programs in Utah and Denver, and seems to have had some maturity issues, publicly complaining about Utah's long and frequent practices. Other than height and bigger wingspan, right now he seems like untapped-bordering on-wasted potential. To be honest, and this might still be mixed with some residual irritation about the whole MM ordeal, but sometimes it can be weary for the Spurs to be seen as a place for reclamation projects - oh just send him to SA, Pop will fix him. It's a compliment, sure, and a way to find talent. Our navigating these situations and being able to absorb change and nurture guys along the way as we raise the talent and compete level are important parts of our success. Hopefully Lyles is a part of that, but he does suffer from the comparison to guys who are more ready to contribute and this presents challenges we thought we'd taken care of.

Rightly or wrongly Lyles has a shorter leash to me simply because he hasn't shown the dedication to the game. If that is oversimplifying his situation, I'm open to being proven wrong. But we lost an asset as Davis is right now the more valuable trade chip of the two, so Lyles better come ready to work and bring up his game.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#68 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Hey Guys, Magic fan here.

Just wanted to check the temperature on a Derozen trade. Is he available? If so, what would you be looking in return for the soon-to-be free agent?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Hey Guys, Magic fan here.

Just wanted to check the temperature on a Derozen trade. Is he available? If so, what would you be looking in return for the soon-to-be free agent?

Vucevic, thank you! Have a nice day :D
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#70 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 am

Couldn't really get to this earlier, but as I've been mulling this Morris situation, we've now entered the leaks phase of what transpired between Paul and Morris. The Spurs are characteristically silent on the issue, but of course that this is only the third time a player has reneged on a verbal commitment had to have come as a shock given our commitment in clearing space for him.

The NBA really has to change the moratorium period or at least rules governing more simple transactions such as this one. It does have a purpose for more complicated deals, but right now it can be used as an out for unscrupulous parties with no consequences to those they harm by not keeping their word.

As it stands, just about everyone else benefited from Morris shamelessly backing out: Morris with a bigger one year contract, Knicks with a player they should not have engaged with but did, Paul with getting another player on to the Spurs. We lost a better asset in Davis, and a guy who fit like a glove at least on the court in terms of our 3/4 needs.
But things are not always as they seem, or at least in the moment we do not see all the ramifications and consequences that bear out over time. In any case, we have had to make the best of it. Hopefully something clicks with Lyles and getting cut and signed by us lights a fire under him.

There are pieces of info coming out now of who did what to whom. Some of it sounds like PR BS, some is too vague, but it's no use speculating and filling in the blanks. To whoever conducted themselves with integrity and for our good to make this transaction happen, thank you. To anyone - player, agent, team - involved who in any way along the chain of events was responsible for this outcome - **** off.

Celtics fans range mostly ambivalent to happy to see Morris go, and Suns fans are saying here and on social media that we are really better off. I mean, think how bad it must have been for the latter group to say that. Perhaps this is really a blessing in disguise. Morris showed his character once again, and it's better to know this before he joined our locker room.

So we forge ahead with the group that is happy to be together. Turn the page and once again move from poor us to screw you.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#71 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:16 pm

imagump1313 wrote:

You know, honestly, I wouldn't mind Vuc but since we just re-signed him for 4 years, the goal to add talent to pair with him. Having DeRozen without another all-star on the roster is pointless.

If we do trade Vuc, it's for a player that fits the timeline with Gordon.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

You know, honestly, I wouldn't mind Vuc but since we just re-signed him for 4 years, the goal to add talent to pair with him. Having DeRozen without another all-star on the roster is pointless.

If we do trade Vuc, it's for a player that fits the timeline with Gordon.

Oh I understand.
To be honest, I think the Spurs are pretty happy with their upcoming roster to the point I don't see them making any kind of trade at least until next summer.

Earlier someone from Miami was asking about Aldridge. I think you guys are in the same boat. Outside of Vucevic, no one on your roster seems interesting enough to justify losing DeRozan.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Couldn't really get to this earlier, but as I've been mulling this Morris situation, we've now entered the leaks phase of what transpired between Paul and Morris. The Spurs are characteristically silent on the issue, but of course that this is only the third time a player has reneged on a verbal commitment had to have come as a shock given our commitment in clearing space for him.

The NBA really has to change the moratorium period or at least rules governing more simple transactions such as this one. It does have a purpose for more complicated deals, but right now it can be used as an out for unscrupulous parties with no consequences to those they harm by not keeping their word.

As it stands, just about everyone else benefited from Morris shamelessly backing out: Morris with a bigger one year contract, Knicks with a player they should not have engaged with but did, Paul with getting another player on to the Spurs. We lost a better asset in Davis, and a guy who fit like a glove at least on the court in terms of our 3/4 needs.
But things are not always as they seem, or at least in the moment we do not see all the ramifications and consequences that bear out over time. In any case, we have had to make the best of it. Hopefully something clicks with Lyles and getting cut and signed by us lights a fire under him.

There are pieces of info coming out now of who did what to whom. Some of it sounds like PR BS, some is too vague, but it's no use speculating and filling in the blanks. To whoever conducted themselves with integrity and for our good to make this transaction happen, thank you. To anyone - player, agent, team - involved who in any way along the chain of events was responsible for this outcome - **** off.

Celtics fans range mostly ambivalent to happy to see Morris go, and Suns fans are saying here and on social media that we are really better off. I mean, think how bad it must have been for the latter group to say that. Perhaps this is really a blessing in disguise. Morris showed his character once again, and it's better to know this before he joined our locker room.

So we forge ahead with the group that is happy to be together. Turn the page and once again move from poor us to screw you.

I'm still more upset about losing what Morris would have brought us than I am about losing Bertans. Sure it sucks losing Davis for basically nothing and yes Lyles has many question marks but lets be honest.

If Lyles figures anything out he will bring us much more than Bertans ever would have. How much was Davis going to play this season anyway? The entire reason we brought in Carroll and attempted to get Morris was because Bertans could not give us the play we needed. I'm sad to see him go as much as anyone, he was a great guy and easy to root for. I'm afraid he had just reached his ceiling and things worked out the way they did.

As far as Morris goes, more and more people are saying we are better off. I'm the type I would rather see that for myself with my own two eyes but there is nothing we can do about it now. I'm still pretty excited about our roster if we stay healthy.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#74 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:31 am

imagump1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
GREY 1769 wrote:Couldn't really get to this earlier, but as I've been mulling this Morris situation, we've now entered the leaks phase of what transpired between Paul and Morris. The Spurs are characteristically silent on the issue, but of course that this is only the third time a player has reneged on a verbal commitment had to have come as a shock given our commitment in clearing space for him.

I'm still more upset about losing what Morris would have brought us than I am about losing Bertans. Sure it sucks losing Davis for basically nothing and yes Lyles has many question marks but lets be honest.

If Lyles figures anything out he will bring us much more than Bertans ever would have. How much was Davis going to play this season anyway? The entire reason we brought in Carroll and attempted to get Morris was because Bertans could not give us the play we needed. I'm sad to see him go as much as anyone, he was a great guy and easy to root for. I'm afraid he had just reached his ceiling and things worked out the way they did.

As far as Morris goes, more and more people are saying we are better off. I'm the type I would rather see that for myself with my own two eyes but there is nothing we can do about it now. I'm still pretty excited about our roster if we stay healthy.

Maybe I'm just talking myself down from the Morris anger, but looking into it there is something to his not sticking with any team longer than two years, and these include teams that were bad and teams that were competing. I'm more of a 'if someone shows you who they are, believe them' type of person, with room for change. Given that Morris backed out of a verbal commitment to get more money on a crap team, well, it speaks volumes, doesn't it? Whether he did it to spite Paul who apparently encouraged Morris to take the Spurs deal or whether there was some 'miscommunication', in the end, he neither cared about his word having any weight nor about being in a better situation.

The same saying applies to Lyles until or unless he proves otherwise. He has come through two good programs in Utah and Denver; the former he complained publicly about too many practices that were too long, the latter he got injured and could not crack a deep rotation upon return. So we will see whether maturity and work ethic finally seep in and stick, because if there's one team on which a player has to earn his minutes, it's ours.

My main point about Lyles compared to Davis was that though they have similar numbers (points, rebounds), Davis has the great 3 shot, and all things being equal, at this moment, Davis is the better asset with which we could have made another, perhaps better deal.

You do bring up a good point that Davis by now pretty much is what he is, and so we pivoted to a player who is younger, has a bigger wing span, comes cheaper, and potentially has a broader game. He is stronger and has some elbow and baseline post-up moves (Davis and posting up are two words I don't believe I've ever written together, and that's ok, he's more of a face up player, but then again, it's about expanding one's game) and he has some range from the 3. So we banked on potential because we had to, but I wonder who we could have traded for had we had a do-over with Davis. But that is not possible, so we move forward with Lyles, who I hope will at the very least bring a competitive, eager-to-learn spirit and contribute to the team's tight camaraderie.

Here's a recent workout video - huge caveats always come with these, but it offer glimpses into what he can bring. It is good to see him taking some initiative in preparing for the season.
Read on Twitter

On O, he takes a bit of time in that traditional post-up, but maybe some Timmy work can rub off on him. Good bounce pass, nice 3s especially from the corner. I'd be interested in seeing what he can do on the defensive end, though nobody posts 'look at my D' videos.

All things considered, we are a deeper more athletic and seasoned team this season, and with lots of firepower and a renewed commitment to better defense, I am excited too about what we do with this group of guys.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by imagump1313 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:43 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:On O, he takes a bit of time in that traditional post-up, but maybe some Timmy work can rub off on him. Good bounce pass, nice 3s especially from the corner. I'd be interested in seeing what he can do on the defensive end, though nobody posts 'look at my D' videos.

All things considered, we are a deeper more athletic and seasoned team this season, and with lots of firepower and a renewed commitment to better defense, I am excited too about what we do with this group of guys.

Agreed! I don't take much from any workout videos. He does seem to have the perfect NBA defensive type body. If he put his mind to it, wouldn't that be something.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#76 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:36 am

marcus morris is awful. yall dodged a huge bullet. losing bertans was no bueno tho hes good
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#77 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:58 am

A cap hold update:
Read on Twitter

And an Exhibit-10 signing:
Read on Twitter

Named Consensus All-America Third Team, Lawson concluded his lone season at Kansas averaging 19.4 points and 10.3 rebounds per game, leading the Big 12 in both stats and becoming the first Jayhawk to average a double-double since Thomas Robinson who averaged 17.7 points and 11.9 rebounds in 2011-12. The 2019 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year and unanimous All-Big 12 First Team selection, Lawson is the only player in the league averaging a double-double.

https://kuathletics.com/lawson-signs-contract-with-san-antonio/

Read on Twitter

We have a full roster signed (15 guaranteed, two two-ways), but teams can have up to 20 players through training camp.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
First Take
Senior
And1: 414

Post#78 » by First Take » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:47 am

Hi guys,

I am a Miami Heat fan, but do respect the San Antonio Spurs (SAS). I know LaMarcus Aldridge (LMA) does not like playing the center position. Any chance, San Antonio could take a gamble on Dwight Howard to play at the center, this would allow LMA, play at the power forward. This would be mutually beneficial for both parties. For SAS, it provides a center that can block shots, rebound, bang with traditional centers and Howard would come for the vet minimum. For Dwight, this is good move (assuming, Memphis buys him out), he gets to play for one of the best coaches in the game to help change his image. Additionally he will be able to showcase his skills, as he sat out for most of the season with an injury. As for reports of his locker room behavior, he will not be getting away with his antics if he plays for Greg Poppavich.

It would be interesting to see what you all think. It would also help the SAS compete in a very competitive western conference.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by imagump1313 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:49 pm

First Take wrote:Hi guys,

I am a Miami Heat fan, but do respect the San Antonio Spurs (SAS). I know LaMarcus Aldridge (LMA) does not like playing the center position. Any chance, San Antonio could take a gamble on Dwight Howard to play at the center, this would allow LMA, play at the power forward. This would be mutually beneficial for both parties. For SAS, it provides a center that can block shots, rebound, bang with traditional centers and Howard would come for the vet minimum. For Dwight, this is good move (assuming, Memphis buys him out), he gets to play for one of the best coaches in the game to help change his image. Additionally he will be able to showcase his skills, as he sat out for most of the season with an injury. As for reports of his locker room behavior, he will not be getting away with his antics if he plays for Greg Poppavich.

It would be interesting to see what you all think. It would also help the SAS compete in a very competitive western conference.

I hate Howard more than almost any player who ever played in the NBA.
With that said, if he could actually still play and not act like a total dickface I wouldn't be 100% against it if our staff thought he could help. I trust them and they know way more about his condition and attitude than any of us.
But reality is, I don't think he can play anymore and he certainly isnt going to stop acting like an idiot so it will never happen.

I was actually hoping we could get Vince Carter on a minimum but he signed with Atlanta again. Oh well.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#80 » by G R E Y » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:24 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
First Take wrote:Hi guys,

I hate Howard more than almost any player who ever played in the NBA.
With that said, if he could actually still play and not act like a total dickface I wouldn't be 100% against it if our staff thought he could help. I trust them and they know way more about his condition and attitude than any of us.
But reality is, I don't think he can play anymore and he certainly isnt going to stop acting like an idiot so it will never happen.

I was actually hoping we could get Vince Carter on a minimum but he signed with Atlanta again. Oh well.

There's somehow this misconception that the Spurs are the center for reclamation projects for the league. So many players whose careers are in a tenuous place get the 'oh the Spurs could whip him into shape' when in fact the opposite is true: Spurs have long had a no childish / headcase policy (and the Morris situation reminded us of it). The other point is we have 15 players signed already and Jakob to develop, so who would Howard replace in the line-up with his questionable attitude and game right now?

The game looks to be moving away from a traditional C role, and while Jakob is more in than lane, he is 10 years younger, has a great attitude, has a better FG% and more assists. And while his FT% can only be kindly described as a work in progress, Howard's had 14 years to improve at the line and has actually regressed.

Other than bringing VC in, I agree with gump. I believe in second chances, but's it's balanced with a pragmatic 'when someone shows you who they are, believe them'. Until proven otherwise, Howard falls in the second category and giving minutes to more of a known on-court commodity at the cost of limiting Jakob's growth is not optimal. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jakob brings this year.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs