We need to trade Blake

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Re: We need to trade Blake 

Post#121 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:15 pm

ducler wrote:
red96 wrote:Hello Pistons fans. What would it take to get Blake to Houston? The Rockets could give expiring contracts, prospects like Chris Clemons& Isaiah Hartenstein, 2020&2020 unprotected 1st's, and 2021 swap pick option. Thx for your time.
Capela + 2 unprotected first should be the minimum if you want us not to hang up

Ideally Dre + Blake for Capela + D'Angelo + FRP should work, try to involve GSW.

I like DLO but I want to see if he maintains that offensive power for another year or if it was a fluke.

The West will be a bloodbath so if he can keep it up on a depleted GSW going against the talented west, sign me up.

Id rather get something other than Capela though. DLO is good but Capela is just another guy playing with an MVP giving him points every game.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#122 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 pm

Warspite wrote:Since players are going to be drafted 10 years before they enter there prime the draft is becoming less and less important and trading/FA is increasing in importance.

If you make the age limit 25 the draft becomes paramount. If it is 18 then most of the players will never develop or contribute anything and so your looking for players who are late bloomers or from teams who cant develop players.

Of the 50 win teams last season:

Bucks-Giannis
sixers-Embiid/Simmons
Warriors-Klay/Draymond/Curry
Nuggs-Murray/Jokic
Blazers/CJ/Dame
Jazz-Gobert D.Mitch

So basically the raps and Rockets were the two teams who it wasnt important too. The raps still drafted Siakam/FVF and the rockets Capela.

Sure this season the clippers/Lakers wont be using the draft outside of Harrell/Kuzma but they are LA teams that are free agent destinations. Actually the only reason LA landed Davis in a trade was with a ton of draft assets they had built up from years of being bad.

Even if its 18 you still have a player under control for at least 8 seasons. That gives you the option to resign them to their biggest contract or trade the player if hes a stud like Davis for a ton of value.

I think the nba is going to change the rules to make it more enticing to keep a young player at the team that drafted them in coming years anyways. Rules change all the time and the commish doesnt like all the player tampering and guys forcing themselves out like Davis. Its really bad for small market teams and the league in the whole.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#123 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Cowology wrote:Tanking sucks. Even IF you win the lottery you can strike out. Hell, go back the last 20 yrs and tell me how many #1 picks outside of LeBron/Irving won a title. And they missed on Bennet. Go back another decade and you are basically just adding Duncan & Shaq.

You need to suck. A lot. For a long time. Draft well (get lucky), and be able to manage your assets to acquire talent via trades and fa. You need a lot of things to go right.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather do that and have a small chance at glory rather than be a treadmill team, but it's not hard to see why it's high risk business proposition. It's a lot of pain with no gaurantee of a pay off.

If you just call it "rebuilding" rather then tanking then tons of teams have had to rebuild over the years to win in every sport. The problem comes when you call it tanking and everybody freaks out because of what the sixers did. People hear tanking and think purposely losing, they hear rebuilding and think developing young players.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#124 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Cowology wrote:Tanking sucks. Even IF you win the lottery you can strike out. Hell, go back the last 20 yrs and tell me how many #1 picks outside of LeBron/Irving won a title. And they missed on Bennet. Go back another decade and you are basically just adding Duncan & Shaq.

You need to suck. A lot. For a long time. Draft well (get lucky), and be able to manage your assets to acquire talent via trades and fa. You need a lot of things to go right.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather do that and have a small chance at glory rather than be a treadmill team, but it's not hard to see why it's high risk business proposition. It's a lot of pain with no gaurantee of a pay off.

If you just call it "rebuilding" rather then tanking then tons of teams have had to rebuild over the years to win in every sport. The problem comes when you call it tanking and everybody freaks out because of what the sixers did. People hear tanking and think purposely losing, they hear rebuilding and think developing young players.

The problem is people thinking rebuilding automatically equaling Embiid when the odds are probably 7 or 8 to 1 at best that the end result is average starter. Especially, with the new draft odds making being a bottom 3 team not much better than being 5th or 6th worst team. Best odds a team can get is 14%.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#125 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:41 am

The problem is, this Blake plus garbage was never going to go anywhere.

Blake, plus broken down ball hog Reggie, plus maxed out offensive rebounder Dre who doesn’t provide defense was a stinker from the get go.

Add in terrible free agents like Leur, Galloway, Boban, the ghost of Josh Smith that ate up a max slot themselves of nothing.

It was a dumpster fire.

Now looking at moving the completely worthless contracts like Leur and Boban, the end of Josh Smith, Reggie moving on, MAYBE something can be put together but Blake isn’t getting any younger.

The entire idea was poorly thought out.

Rebuilding just means getting guys who are young, have NBA talent and upside. Get them on good contracts and try to build something.

What the heck was Leur even supposed to be? A worse Ryan Anderson? That guy couldnt even play in the playoffs and that was years ago. Plodding, old style gunning, no defense PFs were out years ago.

SVG was a terrible GM.

Whatever the idea with Blake was, it wasnt thought out and it didnt mix with the horrible collection of non-assests and bad contracts that are the rest of the team. Old Blake plus a team WAY worse than LAC wasnt going anywhere.

Trade him, Reggie, Dre, Galloway and start over with some vision, please.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 613

Post#126 » by tradez401 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:51 am

not sure how true this is.
goin2work04
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#127 » by goin2work04 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:10 am

Trade Blake to Portland for Whiteside expiring, Anfernee Simons and a pick. Trade Andre too before Gores gives him a $200 million max deal when he opts out after next season.
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 560

Post#128 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:15 am

tradez401 wrote:Image

not sure how true this is.

If true and something comes out of it, hope Blake lands with a serious contender... He deserves to make it at least to the Conference Finals, if not the Finals.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#129 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:26 am

Assuming anyone is optimistic about this organisation:

Let's assume Brown & Luke take the next step, Sekou is a reasonable rookie, Reggie and Blake are "healthy".

Maybe we win 42-50 games this season.

Assume we then let Reggie, Thon & Galloway walk, retain Dre at a reasonable price point and add a quality bench big at the MLE.

Brown - DRose - Frazier
Luke - Thomas
Sekou - Svi - Snell - Siri
Blake - 2020 pick
Dre - MLE - Wood

Assume Brown, Luke, Sekou, Svi etc take another step forward...

Do we re-up with Blake and hope the kids carry him into the twilight of his career?

Cause IF the FO doesn't assume all these kids are gonna be at that level or close by the time Blake's deal expires then it's beat to move him ASAP while he's got the most time left on his contract and teams are offering picks and pick swaps like they're nothing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 am

Would be awesome if we moved Blake. Look at what draft capital teams are giving up for stars right now. We could set ourselves up to be really good in the future.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#131 » by sc8581 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:56 am

I'm not sure that we would get more than expirings and a mediocre young player for Blake with his injury history, like Ibaka and Powell or something. I hope I'm wrong and I hope we find out soon.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:05 am

sc8581 wrote:I'm not sure that we would get more than expirings and a mediocre young player for Blake with his injury history, like Ibaka and Powell or something. I hope I'm wrong and I hope we find out soon.

Nah he has value. He made it through most of the season last year healthy and showed he can hit the 3ball some. Most importantly is the way the nba landscape is currently alot of teams are star hungry and would want to take a chance. Hes worth more then Westbrook for sure. Something like matching salary and two future first rounders or one first +1 solid young player is realistic.

The cool thing is if we did move him we would be in that bottom 5 teams so we would have a solid chance at a early pick the next couple seasons. If we dont move him now we just ride him into the first round the next couple seasons or till he breaks down.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#133 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:14 am

This could be real. Blake liked this tweet.

Read on Twitter
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#134 » by sc8581 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:17 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
sc8581 wrote:I'm not sure that we would get more than expirings and a mediocre young player for Blake with his injury history, like Ibaka and Powell or something. I hope I'm wrong and I hope we find out soon.

Nah he has value. He made it through most of the season last year healthy and showed he can hit the 3ball some. Most importantly is the way the nba landscape is currently alot of teams are star hungry and would want to take a chance. Hes worth more then Westbrook for sure. Something like matching salary and two future first rounders or one first +1 solid young player is realistic.

The cool thing is if we did move him we would be in that bottom 5 teams so we would have a solid chance at a early pick the next couple seasons. If we dont move him now we just ride him into the first round the next couple seasons or till he breaks down.

That's still not much of a return but I want to move him and Drummond asap.
sc8581
Assistant Coach

Post#135 » by sc8581 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:21 am

Whiteside, Collins and Simons works for me and probably puts Portland up there with anybody if not on top.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#136 » by Warspite » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Warspite wrote:Since players are going to be drafted 10 years before they enter there prime the draft is becoming less and less important and trading/FA is increasing in importance.

If you make the age limit 25 the draft becomes paramount. If it is 18 then most of the players will never develop or contribute anything and so your looking for players who are late bloomers or from teams who cant develop players.

Of the 50 win teams last season:

Bucks-Giannis
sixers-Embiid/Simmons
Warriors-Klay/Draymond/Curry
Nuggs-Murray/Jokic
Blazers/CJ/Dame
Jazz-Gobert D.Mitch

So basically the raps and Rockets were the two teams who it wasnt important too. The raps still drafted Siakam/FVF and the rockets Capela.

Sure this season the clippers/Lakers wont be using the draft outside of Harrell/Kuzma but they are LA teams that are free agent destinations. Actually the only reason LA landed Davis in a trade was with a ton of draft assets they had built up from years of being bad.

Even if its 18 you still have a player under control for at least 8 seasons. That gives you the option to resign them to their biggest contract or trade the player if hes a stud like Davis for a ton of value.

I think the nba is going to change the rules to make it more enticing to keep a young player at the team that drafted them in coming years anyways. Rules change all the time and the commish doesnt like all the player tampering and guys forcing themselves out like Davis. Its really bad for small market teams and the league in the whole.

That is my point. 8 years is not long enough when your drafting 18 yr olds. They will already have 1 max contract before they become franchise players and many of them will never be because there is no point to trying to be a HoFer when a 2 time all star can make more money than his great grand kids will ever spend. Your 18 year old that you draft will be ready to move on because you cant build a team around him to win even though he will still be years away from being good enough to lead that team.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#137 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 am

Eh, you guys know my song and dance. Not believing any of it until I see a better source. We've been collectively burned more than once here, folks.

Hey, at least I'm consistent, skeptical of things whether I like them or not (yes, I'd like to see us move Blake, though obviously I reserve the right to dislike a specific move if made).
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#138 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:44 am

Some of these Griffin trade ideas are pure garbage. Man, I swear half of this board actually DISLIKES the Pistons and wants to see us get minimal value back in trades. Awful.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#139 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 am

buzzkilloton wrote:This could be real. Blake liked this tweet.

Read on Twitter
What's the tweet? I don't do Twitter

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#140 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:57 am

Pharaoh wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:This could be real. Blake liked this tweet.

Read on Twitter
What's the tweet? I don't do Twitter

Just a Twitter account called "Features Hoops". The rest of their tweets are mostly about a basketball video game. It really doesn't look like a source.

No idea if Blake liked it, but seems like the sort of guy who might just be amused by trolls like that. Call me when we get a Woj, Shams, or Stein. Those are the ones I trust.

Return to Detroit Pistons