Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Re: Official offseason, summer of 2019 

Post#361 » by azwfan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:53 am

killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Let's all remember we want the team to have the 11th best record in the NBA and no better to keep their 1st round pick. Make the playoffs, make some noise, draft a stud :)

Exactly. Would also help if at least 1 of the youngsters on longer than 1 yr contracts (Evans, Smiley, Paschall, Poole, Spellman) shows some serious upside... and maybe another 1 or 2 of them to look like they have potential to be long term keepers.

If we want to compete for a title in 20-21 we're going to need more than the TPE and Tax Payers MLE for depth.
How much would our TP MLE be?

This year it was 5.7 million. With the salary cap projecting to go up next offseason to 118 mil (ish), i'd say 6.1 mil is a good estimate for the starting salary (can offer 5% raises).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#362 » by killmongrel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:58 am

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:Exactly. Would also help if at least 1 of the youngsters on longer than 1 yr contracts (Evans, Smiley, Paschall, Poole, Spellman) shows some serious upside... and maybe another 1 or 2 of them to look like they have potential to be long term keepers.

If we want to compete for a title in 20-21 we're going to need more than the TPE and Tax Payers MLE for depth.
How much would our TP MLE be?

This year it was 5.7 million. With the salary cap projecting to go up next offseason to 118 mil (ish), i'd say 6.1 mil is a good estimate for the starting salary (can offer 5% raises).

Cool. Thanks.

With the MLE, can it be used to sign a player for multiple years?
azwfan
RealGM

Post#363 » by azwfan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 am

killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote: How much would our TP MLE be?

Cool. Thanks.

For non-tax payer MLE, can be used to sign a player up to 4 years, with 5% raises. - HOWEVER use of this MLE hardcaps teams at the apron (like we are this year).
For tax-payer MLE, can be used to sign a player up to 3 years, with 5% raises.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#364 » by killmongrel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 am

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:This year it was 5.7 million. With the salary cap projecting to go up next offseason to 118 mil (ish), i'd say 6.1 mil is a good estimate for the starting salary (can offer 5% raises).

Cool. Thanks.

For non-tax payer MLE, can be used to sign a player up to 4 years, with 5% raises. - HOWEVER use of this MLE hardcaps teams at the apron (like we are this year).
I see. I'd like for the Warriors to try to use it sign a solid backup pg.

I wonder if somebody like Dragic will still command a big multi-year salary at his age. Plus he misses so many games. Maybe he can be had at the MLE for insurance.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#365 » by azwfan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 am

killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Cool. Thanks.

I wonder if somebody like Dragic will still command a big multi-year salary at his age. Plus he misses so many games. Maybe he can be had at the MLE for insurance.

Perhaps.
If we still have Dlo on the roster, i think we should prioritize some SG/SF help though (depending on how the youngsters look). I think Dlo will be a good PG replacement for Curry.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#366 » by killmongrel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:34 am

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:For non-tax payer MLE, can be used to sign a player up to 4 years, with 5% raises. - HOWEVER use of this MLE hardcaps teams at the apron (like we are this year).

Perhaps.
If we still have Dlo on the roster, i think we should prioritize some SG/SF help though (depending on how the youngsters look). I think Dlo will be a good PG replacement for Curry.

Yeah, if DLo is still on the roster. There's definitely a lot of directions the Warriors can go.

Do you know how the TEs work exactly? Still confused. Can they be used alone. And they are for signed players only?
azwfan
RealGM

Post#367 » by azwfan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:56 am

killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote: I see. I'd like for the Warriors to try to use it sign a solid backup pg.

Perhaps.

Yeah, if DLo is still on the roster. There's definitely a lot of directions the Warriors can go.

Do you know how the TEs work exactly? Still confused. Can they be used alone. And they are for signed players only?

I'll tell you what i know... or rather what i think i know.

One needs to trade SOMETHING in a trade, TPE's can be split up into as many different transactions, and are good for up to 1 year. They cannot be combined with players in order to match salary. So if for example the Heat wanted to get off of Dion Waiters' contract (~14M) next summer to sign some new player. The Warriors could take on his contract and still have ~3M left over from the Iguodala TPE).

The trade would look something like this:
Miami out / GSW in:
Dion Waiters
<draft or financial compensation if any>

GSW out / Miami in:
2-way rights to Ky Bowman
It would also create a TPE for Miami in the amount of Waiters' 2020/21 salary.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) a TPE can be used for a S&T - although that would hard cap the receiving team (us) at the apron again... which if we're planning to resign Green would be a no-go.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#368 » by killmongrel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 am

azwfan wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
azwfan wrote:Perhaps.

I'll tell you what i know... or rather what i think i know.

One needs to trade SOMETHING in a trade, TPE's can be split up into as many different transactions, and are good for up to 1 year. They cannot be combined with players in order to match salary. So if for example the Heat wanted to get off of Dion Waiters' contract (~14M) next summer to sign some new player. The Warriors could take on his contract and still have ~3M left over from the Iguodala TPE).

The trade would look something like this:
Miami out / GSW in:
Dion Waiters
<draft or financial compensation if any>

GSW out / Miami in:
2-way rights to Ky Bowman
It would also create a TPE for Miami in the amount of Waiters' 2020/21 salary.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) a TPE can be used for a S&T - although that would hard cap the receiving team (us) at the apron again... which if we're planning to resign Green would be a no-go.
Thanks. Interesting.

Warriors have a lot of options next summer. I'm guessing Myers has a plan for them considering he was really adamant about those TPEs.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#369 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:31 pm

The draft next year looks far stronger at guard than SF ... which is unfortunate, but it's what you get.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#370 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:The draft next year looks far stronger at guard than SF ... which is unfortunate, but it's what you get.

Meh....it's fluid. There will be guys who aren't being talked about now who end up being good players.

I don't ever fully trust draft predictions this far out. A few guys are no brainers, but the rest aren't, so things always change. If you have a top 5 pick, then yeah, you can get specific early on.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#371 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:The draft next year looks far stronger at guard than SF ... which is unfortunate, but it's what you get.

Meh....it's fluid. There will be guys who aren't being talked about now who end up being good players.

I don't ever fully trust draft predictions this far out. A few guys are no brainers, but the rest aren't, so things always change. If you have a top 5 pick, then yeah, you can get specific early on.

Of course that's true, but at the same time it does mean that positional pressure will push lower quality players higher in the draft. So, yes there will be SFs, PFs, and Cs push up the order the odds of the Warriors getting a good SF is lower than ideal.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#372 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Of course that's true, but at the same time it does mean that positional pressure will push lower quality players higher in the draft. So, yes there will be SFs, PFs, and Cs push up the order the odds of the Warriors getting a good SF is lower than ideal.

I can think of 17 million ways we upgrade the wing spot next off season.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#373 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

So do you have any possible names?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#374 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:28 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I have my own wish list, but I have no idea, right now.....if anyone would be available in the time slot available. Our 3 day window or whatever it is.

Top of the list for me is Covington. You add him to our core and I would literally put us right back into the Championship convo. He is a perfect fit. I've wanted him since about 4 years ago. Maybe it was 3, but regardless I've had my eye on him for some time.

I have also recently mentioned Torrey Craig from the Nuggets. He's a guy who played his butt off in the Playoffs and especially in that series against the Blazers. He's got good size, is strong, and really competes.

At some point I will have a list, but there's really no point right now.

Next season is about tryouts. We will be trying out multiple players to see how and who fits. Here's all the dudes I see playing some small forward in one way or another until Klay gets back;

McKinnie
Evans
Robinson
Paschall
Draymond

Draymond sparingly, and only in certain matchups.

Bottom line with Kerr is matchups. For instance against the Rockets, once Klay is back I could see this;

Curry guards Tucker
Klay guards Harden
Russell guards Westbrook

Clippers;

Curry guards Beverly
Klay guards Kawhi
McKinnie on George
Russell on Shamet

Utah;

Curry guards Conley
Russell guards Mitchell
Klay guards Bogdonovic or Ingles

It's gonna change from team to team. Depends.
Khoee wrote “
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#375 » by killmongrel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

I have my own wish list, but I have no idea, right now.....if anyone would be available in the time slot available. Our 3 day window or whatever it is.

Top of the list for me is Covington. You add him to our core and I would literally put us right back into the Championship convo. He is a perfect fit. I've wanted him since about 4 years ago. Maybe it was 3, but regardless I've had my eye on him for some time.

I have also recently mentioned Torrey Craig from the Nuggets. He's a guy who played his butt off in the Playoffs and especially in that series against the Blazers. He's got good size, is strong, and really competes.

At some point I will have a list, but there's really no point right now.

Next season is about tryouts. We will be trying out multiple players to see how and who fits. Here's all the dudes I see playing some small forward in one way or another until Klay gets back;

McKinnie
Evans
Robinson
Paschall
Draymond

Draymond sparingly, and only in certain matchups.

Bottom line with Kerr is matchups. For instance against the Rockets, once Klay is back I could see this;

Curry guards Tucker
Klay guards Harden
Russell guards Westbrook

Clippers;

Curry guards Beverly
Klay guards Kawhi
McKinnie on George
Russell on Shamet

Utah;

Curry guards Conley
Russell guards Mitchell
Klay guards Bogdonovic or Ingles

It's gonna change from team to team. Depends.
To get Covington on a TPE is going to require giving up a first and even then, I don't see why the Wolves do that. Torrey Craig is even more difficult. I can see Will Barton and Dion Waiters as possible candidates for that TPE. Both players have teams that kind of want them off their books.

Aside from that I agree with you. This season is all about tryouts.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#376 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:45 pm

RoCo, Harkless, MKG, Hayward, Porter, Turner ... none are ideal certainly, and most will be wanted by the team that has them. The best bet for the Warriors is to recover with a player who is failing or under-rated where they are, or developing their own.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#377 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:12 pm

I know it would take some maneuvering to add him, and he's not young, but Thabo is on the market still, and last I saw he still plays good D.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#378 » by watch1958 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:59 am

What teams have the most use for the TPE? Who is angling to build cap space for an upcoming season? Which teams have a young wing who might bump (and make available) a vet?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#379 » by killmongrel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:23 am

watch1958 wrote:What teams have the most use for the TPE? Who is angling to build cap space for an upcoming season? Which teams have a young wing who might bump (and make available) a vet?

Some teams I'm looking at that might take the TPE from the Ws is Denver with Will Barton. Torrey Craig seems to have moved up to the starting position. Maybe Denver wants to move on from Barton and his contract.

Another is Miami with Winslow who is coming off the bench.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#380 » by Samurai » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Thought this was a fascinating article about the craziness of this past off-season. All you capologists out there would also probably enjoy it as well to see it from the Warriors' perspective.

Read in The Athletic: https://apple.news/A_sOKeZ8NSDyYwbMgszC58A

Return to Golden State Warriors