Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#341 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:Did he watch the games or just read the stat sheet?

I thought Rui was pretty good defensively.

Typical metric-head, probably just watched one game early where he struggled defensively. He wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as he looked at times in college. Now the assists are another story. :D

Absolutely. Guy doesn't say what you want him to say, take care of it by calling him a name.

Most of what he says about players in the whole article seems pretty much correct & perceptive. He did put Rui at the 9th best rookie showing in the SL.

Rui Hachimura did have a pretty good SL, & he is a promising prospect. I look forward to watching him. I'll be interested to see whether he develops much & at what pace he develops. I'm not sure what good can be done by mixing up batch after batch of Kool Aid on this board & serving it to each other.

Notice who was the best SL performer according to this article. You wouldn't rather have him, would you? Or how about the 2d best? Ditto through the first 8 -- for one reason or another, & any reason will do, Rui is preferable to any of them, right? :)

Did that hurt PIF? I'm not Rui's number one fan by the way but what bothers me are people making scouting reports that just see numbers and don't watch games or maybe watched one game. Go by the box scores. Not saying he was Kawhi but he wasn't bad defensively. So he may have struggled in the first game. I can't comment on those descriptions he had of other players because I watched very little SL outside of the Wiz. But I can be honest about that so I won't give a scouting report of a player based on his box score unlike some others. Was Clarke really good? Apparently but this is SL right so kind of tough to judge any players performance until they play the big boys.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#342 » by prime1time » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 am

Last time I checked the is the Rui Hachimura thread. Not the Brandon Clarke thread. If you want to talk about Clarke make another thread for him.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#343 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Next time to watch Rui will be late August - early September in the FIBA WORLD CUP!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#344 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 pm

80sballboy wrote:
payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Typical metric-head, probably just watched one game early where he struggled defensively. He wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as he looked at times in college. Now the assists are another story. :D

Absolutely. Guy doesn't say what you want him to say, take care of it by calling him a name.

Most of what he says about players in the whole article seems pretty much correct & perceptive. He did put Rui at the 9th best rookie showing in the SL.

Rui Hachimura did have a pretty good SL, & he is a promising prospect. I look forward to watching him. I'll be interested to see whether he develops much & at what pace he develops. I'm not sure what good can be done by mixing up batch after batch of Kool Aid on this board & serving it to each other.

Notice who was the best SL performer according to this article. You wouldn't rather have him, would you? Or how about the 2d best? Ditto through the first 8 -- for one reason or another, & any reason will do, Rui is preferable to any of them, right? :)

Did that hurt PIF? I'm not Rui's number one fan by the way but what bothers me are people making scouting reports that just see numbers and don't watch games or maybe watched one game. Go by the box scores. Not saying he was Kawhi but he wasn't bad defensively. So he may have struggled in the first game. I can't comment on those descriptions he had of other players because I watched very little SL outside of the Wiz. But I can be honest about that so I won't give a scouting report of a player based on his box score unlike some others. Was Clarke really good? Apparently but this is SL right so kind of tough to judge any players performance until they play the big boys.

Absolutely -- your last sentence is totally correct. Clarke was extremely good -- in SL. Rui was good too -- in SL. It'll be fun to see them both in the league, & I'm sure we both hope that they knock it out of the park -- both of them.

But... how do you know that he didn't watch games. Or, no, let me say that another way -- obviously neither you nor I have any idea whether he watched games! In fact, neither of us has any idea whether the guy's "a metric head" at all!

Plus, he says Rui had the 9th best SL of everyone there! He's not knocking Rui Hachimura; he's putting him right near the top. & that's what made your criticism of the guy kinda pointless, unnecessary. What does he have to say about Rui in order not to get knocked for it? :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#345 » by prime1time » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:28 am

Anyone concerned by how big a star Rui I in Japan? Apparently he's a household name and on the front of page of major newspapers. I just wonder if it will negatively impact his play.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#346 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 am

prime1time wrote:Anyone concerned by how big a star Rui I in Japan? Apparently he's a household name and on the front of page of major newspapers. I just wonder if it will negatively impact his play.

Seems to me it would only make him work harder and stay serious so he doesn’t let everybody down.

Maybe It’s an innoculation against those weaponized thotties in DC that may be aimed at him like meat seeking money missiles. Which seems to me a more clear and present danger than having a larger fanbase who are hopeful that you’ll do well.

Regarding repping a country’s hopes and dreams: I like that he has FIBA games coming up to tune up and build confidence going into the season. Summerleague is such a clusterxxxk with guys gunning to get noticed and team play rare. Here he can re work his all-court skills, face up game, low post, passing, defense, and put into practice the things he’s been working on with the Wizards trainers.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#347 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 pm

doclinkin wrote:
prime1time wrote:Anyone concerned by how big a star Rui I in Japan? Apparently he's a household name and on the front of page of major newspapers. I just wonder if it will negatively impact his play.

Seems to me it would only make him work harder and stay serious so he doesn’t let everybody down.

Maybe It’s an innoculation against those weaponized thotties in DC that may be aimed at him like meat seeking money missiles. Which seems to me a more clear and present danger than having a larger fanbase who are hopeful that you’ll do well.

Regarding repping a country’s hopes and dreams: I like that he has FIBA games coming up to tune up and build confidence going into the season. Summerleague is such a clusterxxxk with guys gunning to get noticed and team play rare. Here he can re work his all-court skills, face up game, low post, passing, defense, and put into practice the things he’s been working on with the Wizards trainers.

Agreed, the FIBA games might be a real chance to showcase his skills in real team situations - as he's likely Japan's best player by a wide margin and be the featured part of their offense. They should be more revealing to the Wiz on how to use him than SL games were.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#348 » by queridiculo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:55 pm

He just seems to be so at ease with the whole situation that he won't let it bother him in the slightest.

Look at him react to some random TMZ dude running up on him at the airport.

doclinkin
RealGM

Post#349 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:33 pm

queridiculo wrote:

He just seems to be so at ease with the whole situation that he won't let it bother him in the slightest.

Look at him react to some random TMZ dude running up on him at the airport.

That's the other thing. This is a personable human being. Easy-going off the court, hard-working on court and in practice. Charismatic. If he has success he's going to pick up fans league-wide. It'd be excellent if we end up with support in other arenas we travel to. Okay maybe not Yao level -- who had a couple Billion people behind him, or Linsanity level, who broke loose in NY and also it seemed like every Asian dude you talked to had a cousin or someone who reminded them of Lin. Fans like to root for the everyman type who looks like them out there. But still, if we have a loud crowd of Japanese partisans at various arenas it will be a nice change.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#350 » by Halcyon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:22 pm

I can't wait for the 2020 Olympics for him. He'll be on the global stage, and you know he'll be one of the key athletes they feature during the event.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#351 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:49 am

Rui seems like a great kid. I'm not worried about him getting a swelled head or even the distractions of nightlife & babes.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#352 » by dangermouse » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:00 am

Worried after Vesely?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#353 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Next time to watch Rui will be late August - early September in the FIBA WORLD CUP!

And Giannis has announced he will play for Greece. I'd love to see Japan vs Greece (though I'm guessing Greece would crush Japan worse than Godzilla did).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#354 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Did Wiz fans spam the comments, Rui mentioned a lot as potential ROY candidate.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#355 » by trast66 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:53 am

closg00 wrote:Did Wiz fans spam the comments, Rui mentioned a lot as potential ROY candidate.

He has the potential to put up a high volume of meaningless stats, since we stink. Especially once we trade Brad.
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,574

Post#356 » by oldshoolballer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:41 pm

trast66 wrote:
closg00 wrote:Did Wiz fans spam the comments, Rui mentioned a lot as potential ROY candidate.

He has the potential to put up a high volume of meaningless stats, since we stink. Especially once we trade Brad.

Rui is in a unique situation with the Wiz with low volume scoring up front Bryant,Brown,Bertans,Wagner he could put up 20+ points as a rook He couldn't have been a better situation to put up big numbers and minutes.I think he will be in the running for ROY.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#357 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:06 am

Read on Twitter
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#358 » by Shoe » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Spoiler:
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#359 » by dangermouse » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:51 am

Shoe wrote:Image

Spoiler:

Whoever discovered this is a savant

Rui certainly shows that shooters touch. Usually thats guards with that soft touch.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#360 » by doclinkin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 pm

dangermouse wrote:
Shoe wrote:Image

Spoiler:

Whoever discovered this is a savant

Rui certainly shows that shooters touch. Usually thats guards with that soft touch.

I also think it may be Rui that’s the savant. I think he does study players and borrow from them skills he has watched them do. I wouldn’t doubt that he’s watched Beal and picked up ideas on how to play the game from him.

One more reason why I do wish we had a defensive badass on the team so he could study their game as well. Players like Scottie Pippen and Klay Thompson I think absorbed greatness by playing next to HOF guys and assuming their character.

Rui has an uncluttered mind right now. Not a lot of AAU ball and playground mix tape clutter. I want him to have good role models while he’s processing and learning so much.

Return to Washington Wizards