Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#241 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Killboard wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
wildvikeswolves wrote:
Culver at least has a past history of of being a good 3 point shooter his freshman year shooting 38%

Yes that is nice to know it's possible. I personally wouldn't have drafted anyone that hasn't already shown an ability to get over .400 given our shooting needs. But 38% one of his years does show something. Picked at our original #11 spot (supposedly a reach) was Cameron Johnson with a college line of 56/46/82 last year. He averaged 40.5 percent from 3 in college slipping to as low as .341 in one year to highs of .415 and .457 in other years. Shows there was inconsistency during his college development, but his final year was his highest. Contrast with Culver's final season last year of 53/30/70, or the freshman year of 51/38/65. Johnson obviously had more years to develop and showed a lot of improvement over his time. Free Throw shooting might be a concern from Culver if he can't get that into 80s. Hoping he can.

I'm just going to wait for games and to see someone guarding him. I think all these practice sessions like this should be followed with a string of guarded shots in practice. Would be great to see both.

I think there is an opportunity for instance with the Wolves now, they have Okogie. Use Okogie in practice to really pressure these guys on shots. Practice closer to how you'll play. Would be great to see multiple Wolves players with an improved shot consistency for once.

Johnson is a very good shooter. He is 23 YO though and had an average USG% of 19.6 in college.
Culver was at 32.2% last season. Not really comparable how they created their shots:

44.9% of Culver 3pt attempts last season were unassisted.
7.3% of Cam Johnson 3pt attemps last season were unassisted.

Culver freshman season only 3.6% of his 3's were unassisted and averaged 38%.

All good points, I see what you are saying. The unassisted difference between both Culver's seasons and it seems to back the thought.

He only had the two seasons and Cameron had more and needed them to imrpove from his first. Still would have liked to see Culverreach .400 in college. It's not like it's going to get easier now. Although yeah, maybe he won't be doing it by himself so much now. That's a big maybe here though. Still might need him to. Also doesn't explain his FT shooting peaking at 70% in college.

I just don't know why we refuse to reward a real top shelf college shooter where there is less left to hope with a place on this team. The need is so real most games it hurts to watch at times. A one trick pony carnival shooter can learn to do other helpful things easier than some of these guys can learn to shoot better.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#242 » by Dewey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 pm

Looking forward to watching Culver play in the NBA.

Good (not amazing) athlete with good skills ... potentially a legit triple threat and good defender. Gotta like that he effectively uses fundamental passing & ball handling to set up back doors, pick n rolls, goto the basket, and his own j-shot. Seems more and more like the old school combo guard that can also post up and/or take alot of contact while still getting his shot off.

If this guy can shoot 35-37% from distance in the NBA he could be real real good.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#243 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#244 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Wolf Wiggum 41
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#245 » by Wolf Wiggum 41 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

He was asked at the end of press conference at what time he started his workout that ended at 6.30 when Rosas met him. Culver said 6.00 - so it was either a very short morning workout or just the wrong answer (in case he wanted to impress Rosas :lol: )
Guardian
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#246 » by Guardian » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:27 am

The only concern I see with Culver is his catch and shoot. I feel like the release is too slow right now, whereas off the dribble it’s quick and fluid. If he can clean that up he’s on his way to 20ppg.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#247 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm

When the Wolves traded up to No. 6 on draft night and were on the clock, they had several conversations with teams looking to get there to grab Culver. The Cavaliers, who drafted Darius Garland at No. 5, were one of the teams that tried to get back in for another bite at the apple, sources said.

But the Wolves were too high on Culver to trade out. Yes, Garland was high on their list as well. But the Wolves felt there was a drop-off after the top five players on their board. When the Atlanta Hawks traded up to No. 4 to grab De’Andre Hunter, who was not in the Wolves’ top tier, the Wolves knew they would get a player they liked at No. 6.

https://theathletic.com/1084407/2019/07/19/jarrett-culver-the-timberwolves-forgotten-rookie-finally-gets-his-introduction/

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#248 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Klomp wrote:When the Wolves traded up to No. 6 on draft night and were on the clock, they had several conversations with teams looking to get there to grab Culver. The Cavaliers, who drafted Darius Garland at No. 5, were one of the teams that tried to get back in for another bite at the apple, sources said.

But the Wolves were too high on Culver to trade out. Yes, Garland was high on their list as well. But the Wolves felt there was a drop-off after the top five players on their board. When the Atlanta Hawks traded up to No. 4 to grab De’Andre Hunter, who was not in the Wolves’ top tier, the Wolves knew they would get a player they liked at No. 6.

https://theathletic.com/1084407/2019/07/19/jarrett-culver-the-timberwolves-forgotten-rookie-finally-gets-his-introduction/

So the Wolves officially did not have Hunter in their top tier. Bulletin board material for Hunter and the Hawks.
Guardian
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#249 » by Guardian » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Klomp wrote:When the Wolves traded up to No. 6 on draft night and were on the clock, they had several conversations with teams looking to get there to grab Culver. The Cavaliers, who drafted Darius Garland at No. 5, were one of the teams that tried to get back in for another bite at the apple, sources said.

Good to see that the FO thought highly of him and the whole “Garland or bust” narrative was nonsense. If that was the case they never would have went to 6.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#250 » by jpatrick » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Cavs looking to move Sexton for #6? I can’t imagine what else they would have to offer.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#251 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:03 pm

jpatrick wrote:Cavs looking to move Sexton for #6? I can’t imagine what else they would have to offer.

Sexton was a bit up and down, but all around a pretty good rookie season. I think Sexton for #6 would have been a reasonable starting point.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#252 » by Mattya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 pm

Wolf Wiggum 41 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

He was asked at the end of press conference at what time he started his workout that ended at 6.30 when Rosas met him. Culver said 6.00 - so it was either a very short morning workout or just the wrong answer (in case he wanted to impress Rosas :lol: )

Could have just been doing weights.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,010

Post#253 » by shrink » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 pm

Wolf Wiggum 41 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

And Rosas said he held the door for him! Good kid.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#254 » by Calinks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 pm

I laughed when the reporter asked the question and Culver said 6. Everyone was thinking he got up at like 3 AM and hit the gym at 4 lol.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#255 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:38 am

Calinks wrote:I laughed when the reporter asked the question and Culver said 6. Everyone was thinking he got up at like 3 AM and hit the gym at 4 lol.

I can't even imagine how bright eyed and bushy tailed I would be as a new top 10 draft pick, newly signed to a 4+1 and with nothing better to do than workouts to be the best i can at ball and mixing in weekend trips over the summer with tail waiting at every airport.

I must have ended the life of too many ants in my former life to deserve that karma. BBall is the best pro sport for players. No pads to lug around and change into. No pinstriped tights uniforms. Spend your life in shorts (if you don't play in MN anyway). Seriously, they have to wake up just brimming each day. Unless Jimmy Butler is on their team.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#256 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#257 » by Macwolf527 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:11 am

I really like this kid! I’ve been watching his highlights and he has a lot of control to his game. I know they’re HIGHlights, but watch the little things he does to create space. His movement is very methodical. He reminds me of The Big Fundamenral (Tim Duncan) in wing form. He might not ever score a lot of points, but he’s going to effect the game in a lot of ways.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#258 » by GopherIt! » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:28 pm

King Ken wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not a big fan, I been pretty down on him. I liken him to Evan Turner. But what I like is his passing potential as he is a great decision maker. Not that he is advanced but his decision making is legit. His biggest gift is his off the ball movement speed and feel. He looks like Reggie Miller in movement. I think that's something to build on honestly. Other than that, he's gonna take sometime.

His shooting development is his most critical need. It's the difference between a good #3/#4 option and a legit menace and multiple time all star and potential HOF. His floor is higher than Turner just due to his decision making and movement alone.

Gerson had a clear top five w Culver in that group.
We were fortunate the Hawks gm fell in love a role player at #4.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#259 » by King Ken » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:22 pm

GopherIt! wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not a big fan, I been pretty down on him. I liken him to Evan Turner. But what I like is his passing potential as he is a great decision maker. Not that he is advanced but his decision making is legit. His biggest gift is his off the ball movement speed and feel. He looks like Reggie Miller in movement. I think that's something to build on honestly. Other than that, he's gonna take sometime.

His shooting development is his most critical need. It's the difference between a good #3/#4 option and a legit menace and multiple time all star and potential HOF. His floor is higher than Turner just due to his decision making and movement alone.

Gerson had a clear top five w Culver in that group.
We were fortunate the Hawks gm fell in love a role player at #4.

The right and ideal role player I might add. We could have chose the wrong one.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#260 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:29 pm

Macwolf527 wrote:I really like this kid! I’ve been watching his highlights and he has a lot of control to his game. I know they’re HIGHlights, but watch the little things he does to create space. His movement is very methodical. He reminds me of The Big Fundamenral (Tim Duncan) in wing form. He might not ever score a lot of points, but he’s going to effect the game in a lot of ways.

Should not be Kawhi?

Compare any rookie to Kawhi is a very long shot, but Culver has something about movement efficiency that reminds me of him.

Kawhi had better physical tools, and was a better rebounder in college, but if Culver adds the body balance on his jumper and is as sharp on his decision making he could be an star on his own right.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves