Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Shams: Pacers sign Justin Holiday 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

That’s the full room exception. McConnell will slot into cap space.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Shams: Pacers sign Justin Holiday 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
I mean, I like it a lot. Yeah, a lot of wings joe, but flexibility in case guys don’t progress, or regress, or if we play a lot of wings situationally or even step Warren up to backup 4.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#3 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Probably the best player left on the market so that's good. I have to imagine this is mostly insurance for us after Sumner's underwhelming summer league.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Probably the best player left on the market so that's good. I have to imagine this is mostly insurance for us after Sumner's underwhelming summer league.

I wouldn’t call it underwhelming yet. He hurt his foot and missed a week. It was apparently a good enough summer to get him an extension, but nothing more than that, yet.

We really might be seeing Sumner on the Lance Stephenson progression of just multiple years of absolute nothing and being brought along very slowly with Sumner.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:21 pm

And this is probably one reason we were waiting on signing McConnell so long.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Probably the best player left on the market so that's good. I have to imagine this is mostly insurance for us after Sumner's underwhelming summer league.

I wouldn’t call it underwhelming yet. He hurt his foot and missed a week. It was apparently a good enough summer to get him an extension, but nothing more than that, yet.

Yeah I know he got hurt and that meant he just couldn't do much, but that's the part that was underwhelming as he's had injury concerns. I'm mostly wondering if the talk about him being a rotation player this year was a bit premature and the team decided to make sure we have another vet ready to step in.

Could also say the same thing about Aaron really.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:27 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yeah I know he got hurt and that meant he just couldn't do much, but that's the part that was underwhelming as he's had injury concerns. I'm mostly wondering if the talk about him being a rotation player this year was a bit premature and the team decided to make sure we have another vet ready to step in.

Could also say the same thing about Aaron really.

Maybe. Or we just kept an offer out this whole time waiting on Justin. He might’ve stayed on the market hoping for a starter spot or 6th man spot to open up too.

But I haven’t seen the Pacers say that Sumner is going to be a major rotation piece. I think the hope is that he just carved out a role on the court and progresses.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#8 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
But I haven’t seen the Pacers say that Sumner is going to be a major rotation piece. I think the hope is that he just carved out a role on the court and progresses.

I can't recall where I saw it but there were some reports floating around near the time of talks on his extension that the team expected him to get real minutes this year. I suppose that could have been more speculation than anything though.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Hopefully this will help push Doug too. We really had no one for him to compete with for backup SF minutes and Holiday has played there some in the past.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#10 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Jrue has two years left in New Orleans. maybe we can get the family together down the road.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Looks like they're really confident about Leaf and Goga
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#12 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Looks like they're really confident about Leaf and Goga

or that Warren can play small ball 4 on nights that Sabonis has a bad matchup there. also we still have the 15th spot.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm

I think we could see any of Myles, Dom, Goga, and Leaf at the 5. We could now see Warren a bit more at the 4 and maybe Alize there solely to compete for some minutes here and there. And, with a 2 way and a 15th roster spot, we could see another big man added (ideally to me a pure 4).
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#14 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:46 pm

I meant it as a good sign

I've said it before I feel Leaf deserves to be in the rotation, and that I think Goga can contribute sooner rather than later

Agreed that using the 15th roster spot on an emergency 3rd string big will be the most ideal move to follow this
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#15 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Agreed that using the 15th roster spot on an emergency 3rd string big will be the most ideal move to follow this

If he'd take it, I'd love Pau in a Big Al-like role teaching the young bigs. I think he goes elsewhere, but maybe if he gets no other offers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Caitlin Cooper wrote some well thought out remarks, per usual.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I can't recall where I saw it but there were some reports floating around near the time of talks on his extension that the team expected him to get real minutes this year. I suppose that could have been more speculation than anything though.

I'd like to see him get some playing time but if we have to have him play it's not a good sign.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#18 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I think we could see any of Myles, Dom, Goga, and Leaf at the 5. We could now see Warren a bit more at the 4 and maybe Alize there solely to compete for some minutes here and there. And, with a 2 way and a 15th roster spot, we could see another big man added (ideally to me a pure 4).

Who's out there who are veteran 4's?
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#19 » by Pacersike » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 am

More likely just less skeptical about Leaf, Goga, Alize than about Sumner and Holiday.

In SL Sumner was injured again and AHol was the least efficient high volume scorer. By far.

So it's a good move. 3 and D wing. We need the depth until Vic gets back or until those youngsters show they deserve rotation minutes.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#20 » by Pacersike » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:49 am

Wizop wrote:Jrue has two years left in New Orleans. maybe we can get the family together down the road.

Ya, should have traded Myles and pick for Holiday and DeAndre Hunter.

Talented true smallball 4s make a big difference in this league(see Siakam and Draymond) because many teams have fake smallball 4s or in others words small forwards prentending to be 4s. Hence also why Giannis has such an impact.

Who is going to slow down Giannis now? Myles? This is exactly where the keeping your own players because there are our guys has it's flaws. You aren't building the best possible team that way, but you are building a very good team and hope to get lucky when other teams have some bad moments or opponent star players having some bad playoffs.

Small market teams should be thinking about putting great fits together on the court. With the league having multiple star players on 1 team, the question shouldn't be can Sabonis and Turner play together? The question should be are they a great fit together on the court? Offensively, it's possible. Defensively, it just ain't possible because neither of them can guard the perimeter well enough. And even if Turner becomes a stud defending the perimeter, you take away his strength if you pull him away from the rim too many times.

Sabonis has to become a decent perimeter defender, there is no other option. Night in night out, every game. That's a HUGE step from what we have seen so far, him defending slower backup centers or starting 4s getting a bit tired after playing +-9 minutes.
The fact that both Sabonis and Turner are very talented players and the Pacers coaching staff didn't just start them together to give them chances to get better together is anything but a good sign moving forward.

Yes, it is likely they can play together. No, it isn't likely at all that they will be a great fit together. Because great talent and great fit always shows up, rather early than late. Realgm fans have doubts, team GMs have doubts (calling Pacers to trade 1 of their centers) and our coaching staff has doubts saying Sabonis is a 5 and refusing him to start last season. So we will find out the hard way this season and as always I love being wrong this as it would benefit the Pacers.

I'm not seeing a defensive 4 on our roster and the MVP is a 4 and plays in the East. If they fill up the roster till maximum players, unlike their habbit of recent years when they kept a roster spot open, with another 4, I'm wasting my time here, but right now it looks like we will find out the hard way the specific value Thad Young had to our roster and why he was able to keep a very bright shining Sabonis on the bench all the time. Average stats but significantly better defense on smallball 4s.

Best of luck to Domas, but the fact we didn't even get a decent defensive 4 to back him up (only possible scrub contract player) just in case he would struggle, shows a lot of confidence in him. And a lot of pressure. Thumbs up but I can't be optimistic about this one. But I will pray I will be wrong.

Return to Indiana Pacers