ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Magic Forum Rules (PLEASE READ!!)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Orlando Magic Forum Rules (PLEASE READ!!) 

Post#1 » by SOUL » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 am

Just wanted to post a refresher of the rules with support of the mod team. We want to keep this board welcoming to everybody and not a place where hostility and negativity is running rampant 24/7. Differing opinions are always welcomed and it's fun to speculate on things, that's what makes RealGM exist in the first place.. but when things start to become personal and mean spirited, it drives away traffic from the forums and makes people not want to discuss things if every debate becomes personal or a back-and-forth between two people for pages and pages. And we have to suspend and ban users that we actually like engaging with.

The mods to this point have been pretty lenient in allowing most discussions to continue on the forum, but we also all agree that the overall quality of the forum is starting to dip a little bit due to the arguments and agendas that seem to keep popping up, and we're going to start being more active and judicious in handing warnings and suspensions (or even bans) if people cannot follow the rules that are forum-wide rules. Again, if you're having a 200 page debate with somebody and somehow aren't going around in circles and are keeping things basketball related, we don't care at all. It's when it devolves into name calling/worse that it becomes an issue.

Here are some of the rule refreshers:

1. Keep arguments or debates to basketball if it's basketball related (which 90% of the time on this forum, it will be). The minute you start insulting someone by calling them an idiot or getting personal in other ways, makes it a personal issue and the other person obviously isn't going to take kindly to being called a bad name. We know the posters that like to do this, so the next time someone with a track record does this, it's going to be an automatic three day. Anybody else that isn't known to engage in name calling/worse will get a recorded warning and then a three day. If someone does happen to get personal for no reason, report the post and don't engage in the debate anymore or make it worse. Just because somebody does it first, it doesn't mean you won't get in trouble as well if you continue to stoop down to that level and continue on with it.

Again, I don't mind someone questioning a wild/out there opinion in a nice/neutral way, but the minute that becomes "You're a stupid idiot and should never post again" ... is taking it to the next level and won't be tolerated. We're not asking everybody to sing "Kumbaya" together, just be civil. This includes any sort of trolling GIF(s), etc.

2. The "ignore list" in your profile is there for a reason. If the sight of somebody's posting bothers you to the point where you HAVE to quote them and call them out 24/7, just ignore that poster. It makes no sense to start harassing someone if their posts aren't addressed to you and you just simply disagree with them that much.

3. Keep politics out of any basketball related thread unless it's a specified political thread, which is going to pop up rarely in the first place. There's a Current Affairs board for a reason. You think Trump sucks? Cool, I'm sure people agree with you, but it's only going to cause personal arguments here. You think Liberals are the worst? Cool, I'm sure people agree with you, but randomly bringing it up in a basketball comparison is only stirring the pot.

4. If you have an issue with a particular mod or think you are being unfairly targeted, do not make it a personal issue in a thread or attempt to backseat mod. PM Howard Mass or a different mod and they can discuss things with you and they will talk to that person. I've had my issues with posters in the past, but all of my gripes are strictly basketball related and I have no personal agenda or ill-will towards anybody, and I can speak for the rest of the mods too that they are the same way. Also, if you have any questions you need to ask that might get lost in a thread, PM any mod and we can usually help you.

5. Any sort of misogyny, racism or homophobia is not going to be tolerated. This is non-negotiable and not some sort of attack against free speech (for anybody that disagrees that those things should be allowed), just be a decent human being and not take things to that level. This should go without saying.

6. Negativity for the sake of negativity, where do I start? While it's something we can't enforce with a punishment (I've certainly been negative about the team, and I'm sure I will again), going into EVERY single thread and playing devil's advocate does get old after a while. Every thread doesn't need someone stirring the pot or someone arguing, and I'm sure there are threads that have that sort of opinion being discussed already. Just be aware of the situation sometimes is all that I ask. If you've already stated your opinion on a matter and released every emotion that you feel, you don't need to continue doing it in every thread for the next year. We get it your opinion.

7. Feel free to create new threads about interesting/new topics, basketball or non-basketball related (non-political). This goes for everybody, even us mods. We're all smart and creative people, so by all means, feel free to create new threads where we can discuss fresh topics whether it's OT or not. Especially during the summer when it's the doldrums and we're just waiting to watch Orlando Magic basketball again.

These shouldn't be hard to follow for most people. If you take issue with any of these and think you're being personally targeted or what you disagree with, let me know and we can discuss it. Otherwise, it's a reminder for some of us, even myself, that we want to continue making this one of the better places to talk about Magic basketball.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Re: Orlando Magic Forum Rules (PLEASE READ!!) 

Post#2 » by woosah » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:45 am

thanks SOUL.

You all do this every summer, but i suppose you have to.
now i feel challenged to make a creative thread since you made it welcome.

"post a lol cat meme of your mood today"
"If the magic had a hall of shame, which former players should be inducted?"
"We've got BIG, so create an acronym for players from other teams!! the best one wins..uh...and1s!!!!"

lol
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#3 » by drsd » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:41 pm

To add to the list, profanity should not be tolerated. Many images and memes conflict with this. A lot of posters here are children, after all.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,671

Post#4 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Excellent work here SOUL! I love this forum and really do enjoy all of the posters who come here. There is nothing wrong with healthy debates about our favorite basketball team. Seeing everyone's vision on how the team should be ran is pretty interesting to see as there are posters who have varying perspectives. What ruins the experience the most is the negativity from the same group of people along with the addiction of people who just want to be right regardless if it negatively impacts the Orlando Magic or not. Of course we are not asking everyone to be overly positive all the time but just learn to respect one another. After all, all of us Magic fans just want to see this team hit the pinnacle of success so we should be united just on that front alone.
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#5 » by OrlandoSaban » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:57 pm

How about changing to new software? There are so many options out there in regards to Forum Software
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#6 » by SOUL » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 pm

OrlandoSaban wrote:How about changing to new software? There are so many options out there in regards to Forum Software

That's a Howard Mass/Admin question which can go in the viewforum.php?f=40 forum. I have no control over that sort of stuff.
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#7 » by OrlandoSaban » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 pm

you do a great job SOUL!
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#8 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:21 pm

I feel like this is an underappreciated thread. I love and agree with everything you said in the post and glad you guys are noticing the problems too.

We all love this team here and want to discuss and deabte things about this team. But it does tend to feel like people just want to be right/play devil's advocate more than try to actually discuss and debate.

I used to be a little more sarcastic in my debating til about 2-3 years ago because I knew no one would take it personal and that we were just having fun/debating. But it's been so hostile lately that I've taken a more straight laced approach just to not seem like a dick.

Not sure where all the negativity and hostility came from. It also drove a lot of fantastic posters away, which is a shame. Hopefully this thread and you guys on the Mod team can bring back the good old days of healthy debates and disagreements.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#9 » by Skin » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:38 pm

I'll care about the rules if they start to show meaning. Mods need to be more trigger happy to be honest. The leniency is what causes things to escalate.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#10 » by fendilim » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Skin wrote:I'll care about the rules if they start to show meaning. Mods need to be more trigger happy to be honest. The leniency is what causes things to escalate.

True, but that to happen, you’d need a mod who works 24/7.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#11 » by Knightro » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:25 am

Bumping this because it’s very relevant.

I know that I personally do not want to over-moderate anyone on this board.

With the team having struggles, arguments are going to happen more frequently and we understand that as a staff.

But try and be more civil. At the end of the day we’re all rooting for the same things here and just because someone disagrees with you (even if they disagree with you forcefully) means you should take it personally and respond with a personal insult.

No one wants to ban anyone. No one really wants to even heavily moderate anyone. Just follow the rules.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#12 » by woosah » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:09 pm

Knightro wrote:...

SOUL wrote:...

ChosenSavior wrote:...

Does this apply to this board? (see link)
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1903599
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.

Return to Orlando Magic