Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Shams: Pacers sign Justin Holiday 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:19 am

Pacersike wrote:
Wizop wrote:Jrue has two years left in New Orleans. maybe we can get the family together down the road.

Ya, should have traded Myles and pick for Holiday and DeAndre Hunter.

I mean, add a couple 1sts if NO could have even been convinced to deal Jrue and you’re close to the value. Myles is worth more than the 4, but he’s maybe worth right at Jrue. After that, the 18 doesn’t get you the 4 straight up. Probably at least two more, if not 3? I would’ve liked Hunter, and I think the rumors of us working for 4 revolves around Dom/18 for that, and NO was looking for other options. But, many reports are out there that we worked hard for 4.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:27 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Looks like they're really confident about Leaf and Goga

I think we could see any of Myles, Dom, Goga, and Leaf at the 5. We could now see Warren a bit more at the 4 and maybe Alize there solely to compete for some minutes here and there. And, with a 2 way and a 15th roster spot, we could see another big man added (ideally to me a pure 4).

Who's out there who are veteran 4's?

Jerebko, Deng, Lance Thomas, Quincy Pondexter, and Mbah a Moute. If you can convince a Marquese Chriss that he’s a role player that should focus on defense and he’s maybe a keeper.

No stars, but some guys that could fill some holes in situations for you.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:31 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
I think we could see any of Myles, Dom, Goga, and Leaf at the 5. We could now see Warren a bit more at the 4 and maybe Alize there solely to compete for some minutes here and there. And, with a 2 way and a 15th roster spot, we could see another big man added (ideally to me a pure 4).

Jerebko, Deng, Lance Thomas, Quincy Pondexter, and Mbah a Moute. If you can convince a Marquese Chriss that he’s a role player that should focus on defense and he’s maybe a keeper.

I'd be ok with Jerebko the rest seem like scrubs.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:48 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I'd be ok with Jerebko the rest seem like scrubs.

I mean, we’re looking to sign the 15th guy. They’re all “scrubs” :lol:

But really, it’s only a scrub if you sign the wrong guy for the wrong role. Ideally, we’re signing a guy to play 40-60 games and no more than 15 minutes in any given night. At that point, I don’t know that any of these guys are scrubs for that role other than Chriss, but if he hits? He would also have the biggest ceiling too.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#25 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:31 am

When KP said they wanted to bring in someone to replace Young this is the guy I thought he meant. A vet in the league, well respected, hard worker, D & 3 guy and will give you all the hustle. I also think it’s cool that he can play with his brother Aaron.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#26 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:38 am

holiday's a really nice, underrated player. he's going to communicate on defense and relay coaching staff instructions to the rest of the team. he's the sort of guy who's never going to 'wow' you, but he's also not going to make bonehead plays. smart player, 'glue guy' type

on offense, the man can shoot. off the dribble, in the corner, whatever. on the bulls, he was asked to basically be the #1 option a lot of nights, which isn't his ideal role. and when his shot isn't falling, he's still going to make the 'right' plays.

one of my fav players. wish him the best with yall team
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#27 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:38 am

Solid signing. Holiday was probably the best remaining FA in the market, and he will definitely help while Oladipo is out. Beyond that, wing depth and additional shooting never hurts. And it's cool that he gets to play with his brother.

I don't think he changes any of the Pacers' big plans though. He'll compete for a role with McDermott primarily and maybe Sumner, and perhaps the Pacers will play small a bit more than they would have otherwise. But the lack of big man depth seems to be by design, and I don't think a cheap signing was going to change that.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#28 » by ArtMorte » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:55 am

As a Bulls fan I predict you will be plenty frustrated with J Holiday. Shooting corner threes is the only thing he can do on offense.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#29 » by Moooose » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:15 pm

ArtMorte wrote:As a Bulls fan I predict you will be plenty frustrated with J Holiday. Shooting corner threes is the only thing he can do on offense.

As long as it is falling, it'd be fine. He's been quite a chucker for almost his entire career. The Pacers need his defense, though.

It is good that the Pacers have Lamb on board to take on heavy minutes while Sumner and Oladipo are recovering. Holiday fits well as a reliever to Lamb. His role would obviously diminish once Sumner and Oladipo are back. But for the time being, I think he'd provide good value.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#30 » by SmashMouthRod » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:01 pm

ArtMorte wrote:As a Bulls fan I predict you will be plenty frustrated with J Holiday. Shooting corner threes is the only thing he can do on offense.

Most role players are one dimensional players. It's the coaches job to put them in position to affect the game. This team won't need him to create his own offense. He will be a spacer and defender.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:33 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:

Most role players are one dimensional players. It's the coaches job to put them in position to affect the game. This team won't need him to create his own offense. He will be a spacer and defender.

Yup. It’s also arguable that he’s our 5th wing, so he’s really just filling a role that would’ve been end of bench for most other teams.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by ArtMorte » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Yup. It’s also arguable that he’s our 5th wing, so he’s really just filling a role that would’ve been end of bench for most other teams.

Yeah, for the Bulls he was a starter playing big minutes and that was probably the most frustrating part. As long as he's a bench player for you he should fill the role.

About his defense, though, he's fine on the perimeter but be prepared to see him get bullied in the paint, even by most SFs. He's got no strength to speak of.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:24 pm

ArtMorte wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Yeah, for the Bulls he was a starter playing big minutes and that was probably the most frustrating part. As long as he's a bench player for you he should fill the role.

About his defense, though, he's fine on the perimeter but be prepared to see him get bullied in the paint, even by most SFs. He's got no strength to speak of.

Yeah, apparently he played at 188 pounds last year at 6'6". Clearly, he won't be guarding Giannis. But he'll do great on the 1's and 2's off the bench, I believe.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#34 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Yeah, apparently he played at 188 pounds last year at 6'6". Clearly, he won't be guarding Giannis. But he'll do great on the 1's and 2's off the bench, I believe.

Lamb also has a similar build. I keep thinking that Brogdon will be our best SF defender, even if he's nominally the PG on offense.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:25 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Yeah, apparently he played at 188 pounds last year at 6'6". Clearly, he won't be guarding Giannis. But he'll do great on the 1's and 2's off the bench, I believe.

Lamb also has a similar build. I keep thinking that Brogdon will be our best SF defender, even if he's nominally the PG on offense.

Maybe. Until it's proven on court this year, this is definitely the thing that worries me the most. We just don't really have a guy I can point at and say "He will defend Giannis or Butler, or even Tatum and Tobias", the big strong wings. Luckily, there's not a ton of them in the East anymore, as we've still go some more traditional sized wings like Beal to worry about, but I'd be ok with Brogdon/JHoliday guarding them.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#36 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:23 am

as a bulls fan who doesn't watch bball imo
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#37 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:48 am

Seems like a decent wing depth guy. Hopefully he doesn’t play at all though, ha
ArtMorte
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by ArtMorte » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:04 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:

as a bulls fan who doesn't watch bball imo

Okay, Justin.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#39 » by ahartleyvu » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Wait, why is there a consensus on here that Sumner is a quality player? I don’t see him ever being in our rotation.

I’m all for 3&D players. Good signing. I am worried about our big depth though. I’m very skeptical of Leaf being a role player on a playoff team. And who knows how Goga will play.

Return to Indiana Pacers