Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#41 » by nicnac215 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:47 am

Ja will be a slight bust. No all star games but a solid starter.

Hunter will never be a productive starter in the NBA.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#42 » by Dat2U » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 pm

For the people saying Ja Morant :nonono:

Quote me on this, Zion Williamson has a far better chance of busting than Morant.

And it has nothing to do with his on-court play.

Morant has too much skill and is too high IQ to fail. The moment he steps on an NBA floor, he'll see the game better than many starting PGs.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#43 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:43 am

nicnac215 wrote:Ja will be a slight bust. No all star games but a solid starter.

Terrible take imo
Ja is so elite in so many ways to assume he will no become a perennial all star esp after being handed the keys to Memphis before he even played a game there … is very short sighted.

Hunter is the best or close to the best defender in this draft and yes ATL overpaid him to protect their no defense pg , but don't think he won't at least be as good as Richard Jefferson or Jonathan Simmons and earn solid starter minutes for a decade because of it.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#44 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:04 am

Stillwater wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:Ja will be a slight bust. No all star games but a solid starter.

Terrible take imo
Ja is so elite in so many ways to assume he will no become a perennial all star esp after being handed the keys to Memphis before he even played a game there … is very short sighted.

Hunter is the best or close to the best defender in this draft and yes ATL overpaid him to protect their no defense pg , but don't think he won't at least be as good as Richard Jefferson or Jonathan Simmons and earn solid starter minutes for a decade because of it.

He is actually for Collins and you couldn't help yourself :lol:
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#45 » by No-Man » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am

bust in relation to either draft range or expectations

Ja Morant, not expecting him to be bad, but just adequate/solid starter and not the star people are hoping for
Darius Garland, same as with Ja kinda
De'Andre Hunter, solid player but not worth the selection and esp not what the Hawks gave up for him
Rui Hachimura, Cam Reddish, they could be NBA players for a while but just totally meh
Nas Little, gonna be out of the league quick, mid 20s is too low to be a bust though
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Terrible take imo

just think how funny Atl gonna look when they could have gotten Hayes,Reddish and NAW but instead have Hunter and Reddish.
esp if neither live up to the price tag
.everyone knows Youngs Curry like defense is why they moved up for hunter i wasnt making a dig, although i guess the truth hurts eh
King Ken
General Manager

Post#47 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Terrible take imo

just think how funny Atl gonna look when they could have gotten Hayes,Reddish and NAW but instead have Hunter and Reddish.
.everyone knows Youngs Curry like defense is why they moved up for hunter i wasnt making a dig, although i guess the truth hurts eh

I wanted Hunter and Reddish more than anything so idk or care about NAW or Hayes for us.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#48 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:15 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:He is actually for Collins and you couldn't help yourself :lol:

I wanted Hunter and Reddish more than anything so idk or care about NAW or Hayes for us.
Congrats on that then gotta be the weirdest and ironically convenient feeling having you're org do "exactly" what you wanted.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#49 » by gorz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Dat2U wrote:For the people saying Ja Morant :nonono:

Quote me on this, Zion Williamson has a far better chance of busting than Morant.

Morant has too much skill and is too high IQ to fail. The moment he steps on an NBA floor, he'll see the game better than many starting PGs.

Morant has talent level of a westbrook but he lacks two critical elements in his game that will hinder him from being anything more than a good starter. weak outside shot with poor defense. Not to mention with his frail body and explosiveness he is an injury waiting to happen attacking the basket..I see him around bucks brandon jennings level at best.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#50 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

gorz wrote:

Morant has talent level of a westbrook but he lacks two critical elements in his game that will hinder him from being anything more than a good starter. weak outside shot with poor defense. Not to mention with his frail body and explosiveness he is an injury waiting to happen attacking the basket..I see him around bucks brandon jennings level at best.

Hate to break it too you but Ja's passing based on supreme BBIQ alone is going to be the best in the league by his 2nd season there is no way a player that can do that doesn't equate to a super max player , add the freakish athletic finishing dribble drive and more than acceptable and frankly over criticized shot mechanics ...he is going to be a potential top 25 player in NBA History.
That's not even playing defense which he has the capability of physiologically if he puts the work in.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#51 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:just think how funny Atl gonna look when they could have gotten Hayes,Reddish and NAW but instead have Hunter and Reddish.

Congrats on that then gotta be the weirdest and ironically convenient feeling having you're org do "exactly" what you wanted.

Just watching a lot of Basketball and I know what we need and are missing.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#52 » by gorz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Stillwater wrote:
gorz wrote:

Hate to break it too you but Ja's passing based on supreme BBIQ alone is going to be the best in the league by his 2nd season there is no way a player that can do that doesn't equate to a super max player , add the freakish athletic finishing dribble drive and more than acceptable and frankly over criticized shot mechanics ...he is going to be a potential top 25 player in NBA History.
That's not even playing defense which he has the capability of physiologically if he puts the work in.

Not 25 player of today but in nba history? Sheesh. How do you compare Ja to someone like De'aaron Fox? Were you high on Fox?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#53 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Stillwater wrote:
gorz wrote:
Quote me on this, Zion Williamson has a far better chance of busting than Morant. And it has nothing to do with his on-court play.
Hate to break it too you but Ja's passing based on supreme BBIQ alone is going to be the best in the league by his 2nd season there is no way a player that can do that doesn't equate to a super max player , add the freakish athletic finishing dribble drive and more than acceptable and frankly over criticized shot mechanics ...he is going to be a potential top 25 player in NBA History. That's not even playing defense which he has the capability of physiologically if he puts the work in.

Woah, I thought I was pretty high on Morant but this is crazy. I like him a lot as a general high-octane PG, who can drive, score, and pass at a fast pace and has potential to be really good if he develops well. But here are some counterweights to what you said, to my eyes:
--he doesn't have top-shelf athleticism, neither in jumping nor in burst; it's good for a prospect and a plus for sure, but slotting him in with the real super athletes of the NBA is just flat out wrong. He won't be able to blaze through guys like Wall or even Fox, and he definitely doesn't have the ups of a D Rose type. (He has great body control and that often makes it seem like he's a better jumper than he is). He's more like Mike Conley as an athlete prospect.
--His passing is very solid but it's not special, I've been wondering where that rhetoric has been coming from. In games, he mostly just makes reads that are within his line of sight and never seems to have either the amazing anticipation of a J Kidd or the crazy precision of Ben Simmons. Just a good solid passer, who uses the separation he gets to open up good passing opportunities.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#54 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:23 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gorz wrote: Morant has talent level of a westbrook but he lacks two critical elements in his game that will hinder him from being anything more than a good starter. weak outside shot with poor defense. Not to mention with his frail body and explosiveness he is an injury waiting to happen attacking the basket..I see him around bucks brandon jennings level at best.
Hate to break it too you but Ja's passing based on supreme BBIQ alone is going to be the best in the league by his 2nd season there is no way a player that can do that doesn't equate to a super max player , add the freakish athletic finishing dribble drive and more than acceptable and frankly over criticized shot mechanics ...he is going to be a potential top 25 player in NBA History. That's not even playing defense which he has the capability of physiologically if he puts the work in.

Woah, I thought I was pretty high on Morant but this is crazy. I like him a lot as a general high-octane PG, who can drive, score, and pass at a fast pace and has potential to be really good if he develops well. But here are some counterweights to what you said, to my eyes:
--he doesn't have top-shelf athleticism, neither in jumping nor in burst; it's good for a prospect and a plus for sure, but slotting him in with the real super athletes of the NBA is just flat out wrong. He won't be able to blaze through guys like Wall or even Fox, and he definitely doesn't have the ups of a D Rose type. (He has great body control and that often makes it seem like he's a better jumper than he is). He's more like Mike Conley as an athlete prospect.
--His passing is very solid but it's not special, I've been wondering where that rhetoric has been coming from. In games, he mostly just makes reads that are within his line of sight and never seems to have either the amazing anticipation of a J Kidd or the crazy precision of Ben Simmons. Just a good solid passer, who uses the separation he gets to open up good passing opportunities.

Jesus! His passing is not special??? How many 19 yr olds you know are ambidextrous and make passes equally well with both hands?

How many college PGs you know averaged 10 assists a game?

What makes the kid special is he sees the floor like few before him. I remarked early on he's manipulating defenses in college where it took John Wall 7+ to learn how to do on an NBA level.

The athleticism aspect added to the way he sees and reads the floor is a bonus.

In terms of explosiveness. He is more like Brandon Jennings - mainly due to the lack of core strength. The ability to jump off of on foot is clearly elite - in the Westbrook realm. The ability to jump off of two is where he struggles but with NBA training that will be less of an issue.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#55 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Dat2U wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Stillwater wrote: Hate to break it too you but Ja's passing based on supreme BBIQ alone is going to be the best in the league by his 2nd season there is no way a player that can do that doesn't equate to a super max player , add the freakish athletic finishing dribble drive and more than acceptable and frankly over criticized shot mechanics ...he is going to be a potential top 25 player in NBA History. That's not even playing defense which he has the capability of physiologically if he puts the work in.

Jesus! His passing is not special??? How many 19 yr olds you know are ambidextrous and make passes equally well with both hands?

How many college PGs you know averaged 10 assists a game?

What makes the kid special is he sees the floor like few before him. I remarked early on he's manipulating defenses in college where it took John Wall 7+ to learn how to do on an NBA level.

The athleticism aspect added to the way he sees and reads the floor is a bonus.

In terms of explosiveness. He is more like Brandon Jennings - mainly due to the lack of core strength. The ability to jump off of on foot is clearly elite - in the Westbrook realm. The ability to jump off of two is where he struggles but with NBA training that will be less of an issue.

Right, his court vision and BBiq at the same age is the best we have seen since Lebron James.
anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film https://youtu.be/F14xI3DzDbE
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#56 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:41 pm

I have White, Rui, and Culver as busting.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#57 » by HotelVitale » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 am

Dat2U wrote:[ Jesus! His passing is not special??? How many 19 yr olds you know are ambidextrous and make passes equally well with both hands? How many college PGs you know averaged 10 assists a game? What makes the kid special is he sees the floor like few before him. I remarked early on he's manipulating defenses in college where it took John Wall 7+ to learn how to do on an NBA level.
Here's the main reason I don't find him special as a passing prospect: his assists were almost all set up by him being able to get into the defense and then find a guy in his line of vision within the chaos his drives created. That's a great skill and the main reason I like him (he does chaos well, can play at a fast pace while staying under control) but I don't see any evidence that he sees the floor particularly well for a PG prospect. All of his plays are him making it up as he goes, not engineering a play or making it happen--he sees what's in front of him well but doesn't see or create anything that's not right there. He's behind a guy like Trae Young in terms of seeing the whole floor and making defenses pay for anyway they're cheating etc. I don't think Morant has that skill innately and don't think he's a lock to pick it up, and I'm honetly baffled by people saying they see that in him. I've watched hundreds of plays and just don't see that. (Also the raw numbers don't matter--Morant played against junk teams and dominated the ball, and if he was playing at Duke or Michigan St or wherever with a bunch of other solid guys playing good defenses most nights, he's not averaging 10 dimes a game. Also there have been many guys who've averaged a ton of assists in the NCAA that weren't particularly good passers (e.g. remember that guy Scott Machado?); also Morant averaged an absurd amount of TOs to get his dimes too.)

Overall I see Morant as a good passing prospect, and one who knows how to balance passing with scoring, and he has all the tools to be a really good combo guy.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#58 » by HotelVitale » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:16 am

Stillwater wrote: 1) anyone suggesting this kid does not have elite explosiveness however hasn't been paying attention to his film

Okay, watching this, I don't see him finishing dunks he created over or through people, I don't see him having the sort of airwalking hops a lot of elite prospects have that let them glide past guys to finish. What I see is a relatively quick guard who can turn the corner and get to a dunk if he catches the D sleeping, which is awesome. But that's not the type of thing that's going to be a big asset for a small guy creating for himself against a focused defense (all of whom are bigger than him).

The part of his athleticism that gets me most interested is when he can drive, stop on a dime, and change direction to pass or finish. He has great and very quick body control and that'll help him from day one.

I'm the furthest thing from a Ja hater, but I just don't see the hops being a big asset for him in NBA games, seems like it'll be more of a secondary thing for particular situations (transition or cuts, primarily, not half court and not things he's creating for himself). His quickness and quick mind seems like it's 25 times more important for his story as a prospect, that's what gives him a chance to be really good at the next level.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#59 » by Kalela » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:34 am

My vote goes to Coby White. I wasn't impressed with him in SL. I don't really believe he will become a bust but he won't be a good player either.
Stillwater wrote:

I didn't think I would ever hear a Jayo Felony song (and this song in particular) in a Youtube basketball highlights video in 2019. :)
Fire Mazzulla
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#60 » by Fat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:36 am

Zion yeah I said it
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams

Return to NBA Draft