RealGM
And1: 14,275

Re: 2019 Utah Jazz Off Season Thread 

Post#641 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:27 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is some clever cap maneuvering.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#642 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Boston complaining about tampering w/Horford is hilarious

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#643 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:33 am

babyjax13 wrote:Boston complaining about tampering w/Horford is hilarious

Kemba must have made his decision so quickly, or maybe he's a time traveler. Somehow he was able to agree to a deal before free agency started. No tampering involved there!
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#644 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 am

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Boston complaining about tampering w/Horford is hilarious

Kemba must have made his decision so quickly, or maybe he's a time traveler. Somehow he was able to agree to a deal before free agency started. No tampering involved there!

Good thing they didn’t tamper with Hayward.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#645 » by Tom349 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:45 am

stitches wrote:

It's like I'm watching Royce highlights. They play very similarly and they both have very good size. Lets see if he can stick in the league in a similar way, because Royce will be expensive next year...

Should look at extending Royce early if possible.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#646 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 am

Tom349 wrote:
stitches wrote:

It's like I'm watching Royce highlights. They play very similarly and they both have very good size. Lets see if he can stick in the league in a similar way, because Royce will be expensive next year...

Should look at extending Royce early if possible.

It’s one highlight reel, but he plays tough. He shoots the 3 or drives hard. I like it. He does play like Royce.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#647 » by TNJazz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Tom349 wrote:Should look at extending Royce early if possible.

Totally agree with this! He is only going to improve and has made a strong case for himself already. Extend him before we develop too much to a point where and we can't financially.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#648 » by stitches » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Rudy looking jacked:

He's ready for the World cup...
stitches
RealGM

Post#649 » by stitches » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Goss officially signed now:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If I'm not mistaken Davis, Green and Mudiay are the ones to follow and there is nothing stopping us from signing those now.
stitches
RealGM

Post#650 » by stitches » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Some information about the guarantees on Kidd and Howard's contracts:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So... Kidd got the bigger guarantee by the Jazz at 250K guaranteed. Howard got only 50K guaranteed, but they also had to spend about 200K in buy out for him, so their investment in those is about equal.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#651 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:29 pm

William Howard versus Stanton Kidd, the battle we've all been waiting for.

Purely on name, this is not a contest. Stanton Kidd sounds like a legend. William Howard a divorce lawyer.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#652 » by Charlie_S » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm guessing whoever loses out the battle ends up beginning the season with the Stars. Hopefully one of them becomes the next Royce.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#653 » by vryadli » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:01 am

Somebody could notice that I am not a fun of off-season shuffling games. But after all that happened I feel quite unusually excited.

Favors leave is sad, but he was clearly not in the best role for him and if he got better opportunity he is many times deserved that Jazz fans will be glad of his success anywhere.

Rubio case is more sad, but there even more court-on justification for that. As for chemistry, I'll take it as I think the team become too comfortable with its current status and Rubio is too nice guy to shake things.

Crowder was not long enough in Jazz uniform to be too tough loss on emotional level.

On the other hand:

Conley can be that star-level veteran to provide fighting spirit which I wanted for many years. The Grizzly game style and all what his done and told since coming on board makes that very believable.

There were impression that Jazz lost too much depth with this signing but with all recent moves it looks about as good as it was (if one take into account injury-etc. history of Thabo, Exum and Neto - may be even better!)

It looks that chemistry-wise all new signing bode it to be at least as good as before - and on-court matching of skill is definitely better...

So I'm already excited and can't wait for next season
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#654 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:09 pm

I’ve seen Conley, Davis, and Green lauded for being well liked. Bogey seems well liked by his teammates, but is more quiet.

Conley and Davis in particular have been described as culture setters. Keeping the same team does not always mean increased chemistry, on or off the court. It’s always good to get some fresh blood in, especially when those guys fit your culture.

Look what happened when we got Korver. AB was one of the most well liked players on the Jazz and everyone lauded his work ethic through injuries. But we saw how much that trade boosted the bench unit.
stitches
RealGM

Post#655 » by stitches » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:03 pm

And now it's all official:
Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM

Post#656 » by stitches » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM

Post#657 » by stitches » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 pm

My off-season analysis:

Last year Zach Lowe said he wishes Jae Crowder was 10% better, because then the Jazz could be scary. Well, we replaced Crowder with Bogdanovic who is more than 10% better and we improved at PG.

This team has been top 3 in the league defensively any time Gobert is playing. This is ongoing for 4 straight seasons. No matter who he's surrounded with, he's the system defensively and almost singlehandedly makes us an elite defense.

This team's problem last several years has been bad fit offensively of some of the most important players on the roster - the point guard/primary ballhandler(Rubio) and the player next to Gobert(Favors, who is great and we all love him, but the fit offensively wasn't ideal). In essence the Jazz were starting 3 non-shooters and because of Exum's injuries they've had one single player capable of creating his own shot consistently on the entire roster - Mitchell. This it the dirty little secret that most of the league has no idea about - they give Snyder way too much credit defensively and not nearly enough credit offensively. We have an elite defense but most of it IMO is Gobert, while the offensive personnel has been incredibly limited. If I told you a team would start 3 players that can't hit a 3 to save their lives and have one single offensive creator on the entire roster, you would never guess that this team would be about average in the league offensively, but that's exactly what Quin has done with this offense over the last 2 years - we've been firmly middle of the pack offensively(no. 14 in 2018 and no. 16 in 2019).

Now they add Mike Conley who is a much better fit and quite honestly a better overall player than Rubio(especially offensively) and Bogdanovic who is one of the best sharpshooters in the league. We now have a right handed and a left handed offense initiators in the backcourt(Mitchell and Conley) and right handed and left handed sharpshooters in the corners(Bogdanovic and Ingles both shooting around 50% from the corners) who can situationaly handle the ball a bit + one of the best PnR rim rolling bigs in the league in Gobert. Mitchell or Conley run the PnR... who are you leaving open to help? Gobert finishing 71% in the PnR? Mitchell shooting 46% on spot up 3s? Conley shooting 41% on spot up 3s? Bogdanovic shooting 55% from the left corner? Joe Ingles shooting 49% from the right corner?

This year will be a test about just how important fit with NBA teams is, because on paper this team could be REALLY REALLY GOOD! Now games are not played on paper and there will be certain things that we will need to see develop to be sure in some of our assumptions - for example, is the drop off defensively from the other player too much for Gobert to handle and still keep us elite defensively, because for as bad as the fit was offensively both Rubio and Favors were among some of the better defenders in the league at their position and now we are replacing them with Conley, who is not a bad defender but is much smaller and Bogdanovic who is much worse defender than Favors? Rebounding is another thing that we might have trouble with - other than Gobert none of our starters are great rebounders right now and even if you go into the bench unit, you can probably count only on Royce O'Neale and Ed Davis to be + rebounders for their positions. Will this bring the team down or can we survive it with Gobert gobbling up all the rebounds?

We also need Mitchell to take a step forward efficiency-wise. Hopefully adding some shooting around him will help him with improved spacing on the floor for his drives and some better playmaking and offensive creation by Conley and Bogdanovic (and hopefully healthy Exum in bench units) will free him up a bit and alleviate the load on him offensively. Ultimately in the playoffs we will still need him to take a step up in his personal offensive creation efficiency. We cannot win it all unless he turns the corner and becomes the superstar we need him to be.

And to end this here's my bold prediction - if we stay relatively healthy we will win 60 games! Book it!

tl;dr - Gobert has always manned up a top 3 defense, expectation is this will continue. Utah was starting 3 non-shooters and had one single offensive creator on the roster last year and were middle of the pack, now they have 4 shooters around the best rim rolling big in the league and have added/returned multiple offensive creators to help Mitchell with the offensive load. The question is how much better would the offense be then?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#658 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:42 pm

I've been trying to temper my expectations so I don't set myself up for disappointment, but I really like this team. It reminds me of the 16/17 team that I was very high on. Rudy and Ingles have improved. Conley and Bojan are upgrades over Hill and Joe Johnson. The chemistry of this team is likely to be better because the players aren't focused on their next destination.

The deciding difference is Mitchell vs Hayward. Hayward was a better player that year than Mitchell has been. Mitchell could remain worse, or he could take it to a level beyond Hayward and become a superstar player. Surprisingly, there isn't many Mitchell stans around here. Everybody is kind of low on him, myself included. But he does have that potential to have a breakout, Prime Wade/Lillard esque year.

If Mitchell does that, we can win it all.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#659 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Ron Boone is turning into an adorable old grandpa

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#660 » by stitches » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter

I love Donovan's shooting form. It's so pure. I hope he starts hitting it at a rate corresponding to the looks of that shot.

Return to Utah Jazz