ImageImageImage

The forgotten man-Semi Ojeleye

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,693

The forgotten man-Semi Ojeleye 

Post#1 » by return2glory » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:32 am

Here is a guy that hardly gets talked about. After having a solid rookie season, Semi took a back seat last year with the addition of Hayward.

I had high hopes when we drafted Semi but now he has become the forgotten man in Boston.

I feel like this is a make or break year for Semi’s career. With Mook gone, there should be some minutes available for Semi.

Looks like there is some exciting news. Just talked to my friend, who has a lot of contacts with NBA players. He just told me a few hours ago that Semi is here is LA, training with Bradley Beal and Tatum.

Hoping for a good bounce back year from Semi. And hearing him working out with an NBA all star, and a possible future all star in Tatum, this is encouraging news. Wanted to pass it on to you guys.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: The forgotten man-Semi Ojeleye 

Post#2 » by captain green » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:45 am

I actually like semi anywhere between spot starter through 9th man in rotation lots of flexibility having him honestly
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#3 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:00 am

Just so long as Tatum doesn't take him on his secret workouts with Kobe while they're out there in LA.

Last summer Jayson, Beal and Semi were all working out with Drew Hanlen together. I wonder if that's what they're up to again this year. Tacko has worked out with Hanlen too.
Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#4 » by Kids Are Alright » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:16 am

If Semi could get to the rim or develop some ball handling skills, he’d break the rotation...
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#5 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:20 am

I was thinking he'd get some burn at the 4 this year as the big wing who can defend size.
Main advantage I thought he had was the corner 3, and defensive versatility. But Grant Williams is looking better along those lines than I thought.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#6 » by Roddy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:35 am

Not a good rebounder, bad shooter, overrated defender...

klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#7 » by klemen4 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:00 am

He was phenomenal defender in 2018 playoffs against Giannis. Brad made mistake not playing him against Bucks in this years playoffs.

He deserves minutes at SF, defend and hit open 3pt...that should be enough.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#8 » by Wes-J » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:14 am

He's an exceptional situation player. Don't see the point of his existence on this roster, he's taking up a valuable spot.

He is what he is and not getting better.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#9 » by Bohemian » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:48 am

Roddy wrote:Not a good rebounder, bad shooter, overrated defender...

And overrated by many fans in general. He should be trade ballast, the new Yabusele
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#10 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:04 am

Semi has muscles that I never knew existed.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#11 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:10 am

Bohemian wrote:

And overrated by many fans in general. He should be trade ballast, the new Yabusele

Yabu never showed me he could play rotation minutes. Semi at his best can. He's limited though.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#12 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 am

Semi is both this year's Yabu (player who is on the roster despite not having really developed since he was drafted) and the anti-Yabu (that is, he works incredibly hard and keeps himself in top shape). At least he's a better spot contributor and example to his teammates.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#13 » by GregB » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:41 am

A lot of disrespect to semi comparing him to Yabu. Yabu isn’t an an NBA rotation player. Semi down the stretch provided solid minutes and shooting when given opportunity.

Based on our current roster , he’s our 7-9 man right now and I expect him to emerge as a legit 3 and D guy this year.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#14 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:06 pm

GregB wrote:A lot of disrespect to semi comparing him to Yabu. Yabu isn’t an an NBA rotation player. Semi down the stretch provided solid minutes and shooting when given opportunity.

Based on our current roster , he’s our 7-9 man right now and I expect him to emerge as a legit 3 and D guy this year.

Hey, I called him the anti-Yabu and said he's good for spot minutes. But I think Rob, Carsen, Grant and Daniel are going to be ahead of him in the 7-10 slots right from the start of the season this year. Maybe Brad will give him some vet minutes ahead of Grant early on, but that's the likely real depth chart. (Not counting Langford also possibly surprising to the positive.)
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#15 » by Bohemian » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:31 pm

GregB wrote:A lot of disrespect to semi comparing him to Yabu. Yabu isn’t an an NBA rotation player. Semi down the stretch provided solid minutes and shooting when given opportunity.

If Semi is in the rotation it means we are in deep trouble. He should be the 12th man at best.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#16 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Bohemian wrote:

If Semi is in the rotation it means we are in deep trouble. He should be the 12th man at best.

I agree. His game is tremendously limited, and what he does well--defense and 3 point shooting--he does not do well enough to justify rotation minutes on a winning team. Maybe spot minutes in a match-up situation at most. 13th-15th on a roster.

With regard to every other aspect of the game he is deficient. And after two years of working out 80 hours per week we have seen no improvement.

He is a guy you want to root for, but he just doesn't have it. Too bad Yabusele didn't have his work ethic and intensity, because by comparison Yabu had a lot more to work with talent-wise.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#17 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:14 pm

captain green wrote:I actually like semi anywhere between spot starter through 9th man in rotation lots of flexibility having him honestly

So far he's primarily a specialty club as another strong body to slow down those dominant big-SF/stretch-4 types.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#18 » by brackdan70 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Bohemian wrote:

At just above a minimum salary he can’t really be much trade ballast.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#19 » by brackdan70 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Semi might get more of an opportunity this year. If he shines he will get more PT. If not then Langford, Williams, Theis might get any scrap minutes available at the swing.

I like him and hope he can take a step and be a good rotation guy for us

Nothing to do with his game but in 2018 I went to the Celtics at Jazz game in SLC. Had pretty good seats. Semi adjusted his shirt one and gave the crowd a glimpse of his spectacular abs. The woman next to let out an audible “Oh my”. Cracked me up.
Sign here
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#20 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm

I have seen more from Grant Williams in summer league that I have ever seen from Semi. I just can't see him getting rotation minutes...or being on the team after this coming season.

Return to Boston Celtics