2019-20 LAC Depth Chart

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Clutch Clippers 

Post#21 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:49 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,880

Re: 2019-20 LAC Depth Chart 

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:51 am

this looks pretty good IF Shamet can play the point

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#23 » by TheNewEra » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 pm

So McGruder is injury insurance?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#24 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:18 pm

Doc will make a big mistake if he moves Shamet to the bench before Beverley. Shamet had significantly greater impact overall to the team. Beverley sets the tone with his energy, but his inability to make simple post passes or find the open man could potentially become a big problem. Shamet has actual PG skills, has a TON of gravity on the perimeter as a threat and even defensively in the playoffs we saw he can play at a much higher level.

PG doesn't want to play PF and given his and Kawhi's health, I'm not sure I want them grinding with bigs either. I personally would start Harrell, but fit wise Green is probably better to spread the floor and keep the lineups balanced. The ideal depth chart is something like this:

Shamet/Beverley
George/Lou
Kawhi/Harkless
Green/Harrell
Zubac/Kabengele or last roster spot
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#25 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:09 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Doc will make a big mistake if he moves Shamet to the bench before Beverley. Shamet had significantly greater impact overall to the team. Beverley sets the tone with his energy, but his inability to make simple post passes or find the open man could potentially become a big problem. Shamet has actual PG skills, has a TON of gravity on the perimeter as a threat and even defensively in the playoffs we saw he can play at a much higher level.

PG doesn't want to play PF and given his and Kawhi's health, I'm not sure I want them grinding with bigs either. I personally would start Harrell, but fit wise Green is probably better to spread the floor and keep the lineups balanced. The ideal depth chart is something like this:

Shamet/Beverley
George/Lou
Kawhi/Harkless
Green/Harrell

Shamet as 1st-string point guard? That's asking a lot from a guy who only played it part-time in college. If he can do it, great, but unlikely he can do it right out of the box in the NBA.

Beverley had a 3-1 assists-to-TO ratio, best on the team, and both he and Paul George averaged 4 apg. George even averaged over 7 assists only 2 years ago with Indiana. We look to be in good shape there. And if you make Shamet a PG, you're going to lose his best thing, the spot-up 3. I still want to see what he can do as Lou's secondary ballhandler and 3-ball wingman.

Agree about Green as the starting PF and it remains to be seen if Harrell's new range will allow him to play PF. Regardless, Zubac at 20 mpg/Harrell at 28 mpg at C seems to be about right for each so I dunno how much PF he'll play.

[Kabengele will not see meaningful minutes for months, if at all this season. And don't sleep on T-Mann.]
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#26 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:15 pm

esqtvd wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Doc will make a big mistake if he moves Shamet to the bench before Beverley. Shamet had significantly greater impact overall to the team. Beverley sets the tone with his energy, but his inability to make simple post passes or find the open man could potentially become a big problem. Shamet has actual PG skills, has a TON of gravity on the perimeter as a threat and even defensively in the playoffs we saw he can play at a much higher level.

Shamet/Beverley
George/Lou
Kawhi/Harkless
Green/Harrell

Shamet as 1st-string point guard? That's asking a lot from a guy who only played it part-time in college. If he can do it, great, but unlikely he can do it right out of the box in the NBA.

Beverley had a 3-1 assists-to-TO ratio, best on the team, and both he and Paul George averaged 4 apg. George even averaged over 7 assists only 2 years ago with Indiana. We look to be in good shape there. And if you make Shamet a PG, you're going to lose his best thing, the spot-up 3. I still want to see what he can do as Lou's secondary ballhandler and 3-ball wingman.

Agree about Green as the starting PF and it remains to be seen if Harrell's new range will allow him to play PF. Regardless, Zubac at 20 mpg/Harrell at 28 mpg at C seems to be about right for each so I dunno how much PF he'll play.

[Kabengele will not see meaningful minutes for months, if at all this season. And don't sleep on T-Mann.]

That 3 to 1 turnover ratio means very little at that sampling, at least in regards to creating. If there is anything to take from that it's that he hardly turns the ball over at all (very good thing), not that he's a good playmaker/passer (which is what the stat is usually used to argue). Shamet is ideally a SG, but he did play more PG/on ball in college and is a better ball handler for sure. The reason you don't take him off the floor is because of how valuable the threat of his shooting is. Look at the differentials with Shamet vs Beverley. My point isn't how bad Bev is, but more that Shamet is more irreplaceable in the starting 5. Bev can spot up shoot similarly, but teams also don't swarm him like they do Shamet, who can also shoot it coming off screens and off movement.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#27 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:13 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Shamet/Beverley
George/Lou
Kawhi/Harkless
Green/Harrell

That 3 to 1 turnover ratio means very little at that sampling, at least in regards to creating. If there is anything to take from that it's that he hardly turns the ball over at all (very good thing), not that he's a good playmaker/passer (which is what the stat is usually used to argue). Shamet is ideally a SG, but he did play more PG/on ball in college and is a better ball handler for sure. The reason you don't take him off the floor is because of how valuable the threat of his shooting is. Look at the differentials with Shamet vs Beverley. My point isn't how bad Bev is, but more that Shamet is more irreplaceable in the starting 5. Bev can spot up shoot similarly, but teams also don't swarm him like they do Shamet, who can also shoot it coming off screens and off movement.

The 3-to-1 is very good and his 4.7 apg in the playoffs starts to approach real PG numbers. And remember, he was also playing most of his minutes beside an alleged PG in Shai and the rest with Lou [5.3 apg], so he was sharing the playmaking duties, as he will with Paul George.

Hey, I'm all for Shamet, who also had a good A/TO but I'm not ready to anoint him a PG at the NBA level yet. And BTW, Pat Bev shot 40% on 3s as the season and playoffs went on. He's no slouch. And as much as I think Shamet is adequate on D, Pat can be a force.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#28 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:01 am

esqtvd wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

The 3-to-1 is very good and his 4.7 apg in the playoffs starts to approach real PG numbers. And remember, he was also playing most of his minutes beside an alleged PG in Shai and the rest with Lou [5.3 apg], so he was sharing the playmaking duties, as he will with Paul George.

Hey, I'm all for Shamet, who also had a good A/TO but I'm not ready to anoint him a PG at the NBA level yet. And BTW, Pat Bev shot 40% on 3s as the season and playoffs went on. He's no slouch. And as much as I think Shamet is adequate on D, Pat can be a force.

I don't think Shamet necessarily is a big leap playmaking wise. I HAVE seen Pat struggle to make simple passes which worried me in the past. It's something he's improved though for sure. The reason for the Shamet point is again his offensive value overall. He's too valuable to reduce minutes on.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

I don't think Shamet necessarily is a big leap playmaking wise. I HAVE seen Pat struggle to make simple passes which worried me in the past. It's something he's improved though for sure. The reason for the Shamet point is again his offensive value overall. He's too valuable to reduce minutes on.

if Shamet is an NBA point guard, esp at 6'5", I'm waaaaaaaay good bro

thx for the convo
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#30 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:33 am

esqtvd wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

thx for the convo

Same. Gonna make a lot more effort posting in this forum and getting to know you guys. I usually post in GB because in past nobody talked here. I do think our fanbase is about to grow a ton though, so I'll add any conversation and insight I can. I moderate Clippers Newssurge and I post on Reddit board often.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#31 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:21 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

thx for the convo

Same. Gonna make a lot more effort posting in this forum and getting to know you guys. I usually post in GB because in past nobody talked here. I do think our fanbase is about to grow a ton though, so I'll add any conversation and insight I can. I moderate Clippers Newssurge and I post on Reddit board often.

Excellent, bro. Yeah there were a couple of posters hogging the board with negativity but now good people and the longtimers like yourself are finding their way back here.

Clipper Life is good. :D
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#32 » by QRich3 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:31 am

I'd still have Green coming on from the bench and Bev and Sham as the starting backcourt. If George or Kawhi don't like playing PF, tough cookies, letting your star players dictate your gameplan always ends in disaster. The fit is just so much better this way, both for the starters and the bench. The main line up is probably gonna change a lot still, as Lou and Trez are likely to keep being part of the main 5, even if they come from the bench.

Doc loves going small like that too, and having shooting from everywhere, so I'm confident it's gonna go like that in most match ups.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#33 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am

QRich3 wrote:I'd still have Green coming on from the bench and Bev and Sham as the starting backcourt. If George or Kawhi don't like playing PF, tough cookies, letting your star players dictate your gameplan always ends in disaster. The fit is just so much better this way, both for the starters and the bench. The main line up is probably gonna change a lot still, as Lou and Trez are likely to keep being part of the main 5, even if they come from the bench.

Doc loves going small like that too, and having shooting from everywhere, so I'm confident it's gonna go like that in most match ups.

I hear you and of course Kahwi and George will be out there at crunchtime with 2 of Lou, Bev and Shamet, plus Trezz.

But I like placeholder starters. Rambis and Iavaroni won championships starting in the playoffs for Michael Cooper and Bobby Jones respectively, neither of whom were true PFs. Let Green or Harkless or whoever go out there and scrum a little first. Maybe pick up a Faried or Reggie Evans-type banger if needed. They'll be out there.

What I'm really hoping is that Doc tables his philosophy of not going for offensive rebounds and getting back on D instead. This bunch can break a lot of defensive hearts peeling second chances off the offensive glass.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#34 » by Young Sterling » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:02 am

Who's better defensively, Harkless or Green? Both can space the floor, I don't buy Harkless low percentage numbers for outlier seasons. I've noticed players' shooting stats go up when the join the clippers vs when the leave (CP3, Tobias, Shamwow, etc). Thing is, Doc is gonna make sure anyone who can shoot the three will get a good look.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#35 » by TrueLAfan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:52 pm

I’m not all that concerned about George/Harkless/Kawhi playing 15-20% of their time at PF. I’m not worried about them “grinding” against bigs because, really, that’s not the direction the NBA has moved in. PFs that are physical and bang and score in the low post are pretty rare nowadays.

Blake is a perfect example. When he came into the league, he was an old school PF. Physical player, terrific interior scorer. And he was really good at that and he was a valuable player … but that type of player had less value as the game shifted to more positionless ball with a lot more perimeter big play. To his credit, Blake has adapted—but he’s an almost totally different ballplayer than he was when he came into the league. In his first 6 years in the league Blake put up a total of 155 threes. He put up more than twice that many before the break last year.

So guarding Blake, like guarding most perimeter bigs, is about staying in front of him, denying him the long ball, and watching out for the passing lanes. I wouldn’t have wanted to put PG against Blake in 2012, when Blake was making highlight reel dunks and pushing people around in the key and low post. But Blake doesn’t play there now. I have less of problem playing PG or Mo Harkless against him now. The trend toward multi role perimeter PFs is pretty well entrenched. Here were the primary starting PFs in our conference last season:

Phoenix—Dragan Bender or Josh Jackson
Lakers—Kyle Kuzma
Sacramento—Nemanja Bjelica
Warriors—Draymond Green
Nuggets—Paul Millsap
Blazers—Al Farouq Aminu
Jazz—Derrick Favors
Thunder—Jerami Grant
T-Wolves—Taj Gibson
Rockets—P.J. Tucker
Spurs—Rudy Gay
Grizzlies—Jaren Jackson
Pelicans—Julius Randle
Mavs—Dirk Nowitzki (probably)

How many of those guys are big, rugged PFs that you’d have a problem having, say, Kawhi Leonard guard for 5-7 minutes? Seriously? I mean, Derrick Favors is a big, sort of throwback guy. Julius Randle has those low post moves; he’s Zach Randolph II. Taj Gibson is a tough guy. But most of those guys are like Kyle Kuzma, who’s a a pretty good PF… but not a bruiser. Sure, I want the insurance frontcourt player who would play 5-7 mpg most games, and maybe play 15-20 mpg if someone gets hurt … a 600-800 minute player. But I think we’re better off at the position(s) than we may think.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#36 » by illastrate » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

thx for the convo

This board has been more poppin lately for obvious reasons, but I know you're on the GB trying to fight the good fight lol. It's annoying when other teams' fans spew condescending nonsense (i.e. Laker fans), but the Clipper posters that are on GB will usually chime in with good rebuttals.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#37 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 pm

illastrate wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

thx for the convo

This board has been more poppin lately for obvious reasons, but I know you're on the GB trying to fight the good fight lol. It's annoying when other teams' fans spew condescending nonsense (i.e. Laker fans), but the Clipper posters that are on GB will usually chime in with good rebuttals.

Hey buddy. Yea... what's funny is I'M the guy who's supposedly a blind homer who is unwilling to have reasonable discussions. The mods have been warning me, but I don't know if they see the sheer volume of baiting/trolling I deal with on the GB being the most vocal, regular posting Clippers fan there probably. I can guarantee you nobody on this forum takes more "abuse" than me. Maybe I bring a lot of it on myself by being so loud and confrontational, but hey... it is what it is.

I always start with fair posting (in my opinion), then the trolls come.. and then I start hitting back. It's what used to happen on another forum.

50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#38 » by 50CalClips » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 pm

illastrate wrote:What is your ideal depth chart right now?

PG - Pat Beverley - Lou Williams (8th) - Landry Shamet
SG - Paul George - Landry Shamet (7th) - Lou Williams - Terance Mann (11th)
SF - Kawhi Leonard - Paul George - Mo Harkless (9th) - Terance Mann
PF - JaMychal Green - Kawhi Leonard - Montrezl Harrell/Mo Harkless/Mfiondu Kabengele (10th)
C - Ivica Zubac - Montrezl Harrell (6th) - Mfiondu Kabengele

New Fan-Favorite: Mfiondu Kabengele (leaps and bounds-improvement this season and next few years)

Most Increased Usage: Landry Shamet (will start at SG if/while George is out, and play some PG)

Most Decreased Usage: Lou Will (15th season, 33 yrs old, career-high Usage last yr, won't be asked to carry them as much with Kawhi and George)

Is it fair to say that the Clippers Bench is be even better than last year?!?
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#39 » by 50CalClips » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:32 pm

esqtvd wrote:this looks pretty good IF Shamet can play the point

Read on Twitter

Give me more Kabengele, and less McGruder.

illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#40 » by illastrate » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:41 am

50CalClips wrote:
illastrate wrote:What is your ideal depth chart right now?

PG - Pat Beverley - Lou Williams (8th) - Landry Shamet
SG - Paul George - Landry Shamet (7th) - Lou Williams - Terance Mann (11th)
SF - Kawhi Leonard - Paul George - Mo Harkless (9th) - Terance Mann
PF - JaMychal Green - Kawhi Leonard - Montrezl Harrell/Mo Harkless/Mfiondu Kabengele (10th)
C - Ivica Zubac - Montrezl Harrell (6th) - Mfiondu Kabengele

New Fan-Favorite: Mfiondu Kabengele (leaps and bounds-improvement this season and next few years)

Most Increased Usage: Landry Shamet (will start at SG if/while George is out, and play some PG)

Most Decreased Usage: Lou Will (15th season, 33 yrs old, career-high Usage last yr, won't be asked to carry them as much with Kawhi and George)

Is it fair to say that the Clippers Bench is be even better than last year?!?

I would say McGruder will get some playing time. Don't see him signing a 3 year, 15M deal just to have a bunch of DNP's.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers