People are sleeping on OKC

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

People are sleeping on OKC 

Post#1 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Honestly PG13 was amazing last year but that was likely his peak... between his bad shoulder, leg injury, and age i dont think we see him repeat that type of dominance... Westbrook on the other hand looked completely finished as an elite player.. the dropoff from Paul/Gallo to Westbrook/PG13 is barely noticeable...

on top of that they are getting Roberson back who i think can get back to his elite play of 2 years ago...

Add an improving SGA, a steady Adams, Noel providing some depth off the bench.... and an absolute amazing array of draft picks... this is a team in a really good situation.. they can compete now and potentially land a stud to get them back on top..

the real big issue is CP3 health but they have 2 guys they can use at PG if they want to keep his minuntes low in the reg season and try to save him for the playoffs... hes gonna be awfully tough to move in a rebuild so why not keep him and see if this team can win togetehr?

There will be a lot of sellers this year and next with all these superteams like Mil, Phl, LAC, etc so why not give it a go?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: People are sleeping on OKC 

Post#2 » by jake_swivel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:56 pm

This is exactly my fear of how the front office might start thinking if they play above their heads to start the season.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#3 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm

If CP3 was on an expiring deal or something id understand the logic behind mvoing him for picks...

But he's not... he's got a megadeal left... you're gonna have to take on something UGLY to dump him so why not play the guy the next two years... he's still worlds better than Westbrook... i mean the guy is still arguably a top 10 player in this league! Realistically, he's probably more like top 15-20 and his minutes need to be limited... there's nothing wrong with playing him 26 mpg since you have SGA who i think can be a neutral player this year....

People forget how dominant OKC was defensively last year with Roberson healthy... they were better than Boston the 2nd half of the year defensively... they hit their groove and were ripping off wins for awhile there....

Gallinari when healthy is still inarguably a borderline top ~10 offensive player in this league capable of carrying the load on his own at times or spacing the floor depending on the matchup...

CP3 is one of the best in the PNR at finding the roll man and Adams has no shortage of savvy moves, dropsteps, and dunking ability when he's fed correctly. CP3 did seem to lose his ability to beat his man off the dribble last year... well good news, Adams sets some of the most ferocious screens in the league night in and night out...

This is a really underrated team theyve put together. Vegas is scared to keep a line up for them right now because htey could easily rip off 50+ wins if they keep the band together.

Other than Philly, Mil, LAC, and LAL.... i think OKC is in the 5th best position in the league going forward. There isnt another franchise I'd prefer to be right now. Well i guess you could make the argument for golden state... after all if anyone decides they want to play along side curry they are immediate contenders again
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:10 pm

I heard Matt pinto on the radio last week. His personal opinion (no inside information) was that he wasn’t sure if Andre Roberson would ever be able to play basketball again.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by jake_swivel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:14 pm

You don’t want to play CP3 because the best way for a mid market team to lock down talent is through the draft. You hope he raises his value while another team gets desperate and then you sell off assets for picks and young players.

Rolling with an above average player like Paul (and good role players like Galli and Adams) cripples your ability to do that.

Also, I’d take New Orleans roster and assets over OKCs for sure.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#6 » by BigRedDog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:27 pm

jake_swivel wrote:You don’t want to play CP3 because the best way for a mid market team to lock down talent is through the draft. You hope he raises his value while another team gets desperate and then you sell off assets for picks and young players.

Rolling with an above average player like Paul (and good role players like Galli and Adams) cripples your ability to do that.

i dont know... new orleans has jrue holiday who is great but his contract is large and his timeline doesnt add up with the rest of the roster...

hart looks like a low end rotation player, ball has a lot of health problems and hasnt really flashed that jason kidd level ability... brandon ingram is alreay a major bust... and those draft picks will likely be late picks....

other than that what do they have Zion? He's an interesting prospect but i dont see him becoming a top 10 player in this league... i wouldnt totally rule it out but he just seems to be lacking the skills of an elite NBA player... he feels more like a borderline all-star than a guy you build a contender around.

The rest of the roster is trash without mirotic and randle
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:44 pm

jake_swivel wrote:You don’t want to play CP3 because the best way for a mid market team to lock down talent is through the draft. You hope he raises his value while another team gets desperate and then you sell off assets for picks and young players.

New Orleans is really interesting. Alexander-walker looks like a stud. I’m pretty high on Hayes. I think Zion is going to be a great player but I don’t think it’s as automatic as others think. The dude is chubby. What New Orleans has done is really smart. Forcing him to carry the franchise from day one would have been a mistake. I dont know if New Orleans assets are significantly better or they are just further along in the rebuilding process. If we get lucky and diallo or Ferguson takes a step forward, or Bazley surprises, then we are right there with them.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#8 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 am

ThunderBolt wrote:

New Orleans is really interesting. Alexander-walker looks like a stud. I’m pretty high on Hayes. I think Zion is going to be a great player but I don’t think it’s as automatic as others think. The dude is chubby. What New Orleans has done is really smart. Forcing him to carry the franchise from day one would have been a mistake. I dont know if New Orleans assets are significantly better or they are just further along in the rebuilding process. If we get lucky and diallo or Ferguson takes a step forward, or Bazley surprises, then we are right there with them.

NAW looked good in summer league. That's just so meaningless.

And I'm afraid to say it, because I'm probably wrong, but I just don't get it with Zion. He's too short to get by bullying interior players, and not skilled enough to play on the perimeter. I think he's got a significant ways to go to justify the hype. I'm actually hopeful he'll get there, because I do like him and think he could be really fun, but Charles is the only player of significance that I think matches his profile at all.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:56 am

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

NAW looked good in summer league. That's just so meaningless.

And I'm afraid to say it, because I'm probably wrong, but I just don't get it with Zion. He's too short to get by bullying interior players, and not skilled enough to play on the perimeter. I think he's got a significant ways to go to justify the hype. I'm actually hopeful he'll get there, because I do like him and think he could be really fun, but Charles is the only player of significance that I think matches his profile at all.

I agree about summer league but I guess it’s better to play well than suck. I think Zion has the potential to be great but he can’t have a Joel Embiid pregame routine or eating cheeseburgers. The guy has propensity for density. I think weight management will be as crucial as developing his perimeter game. He seems like a good kid so I’m rooting for him.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 am

I think Zion is going to disappoint a lot of people. I think he will be very good, but not great. Think a more bouncy Zach Randolph. A very good player, but not that guy that carries a team. A good #2 and great #3 on a contender, but not a #1.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#11 » by Trailbreaker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:21 am

I agree, I think OKC might surprise some people and sneak into the playoffs.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by jake_swivel » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:00 am

I don’t think the nba has ever seen an athlete like Zion. Larry Johnson and Charles could jump, but having watched both, neither got me wide eyed like Zion. I do think he’ll be able to bully guys as well as outjump them.

I don’t think his body can handle that kind of weight hitting the ground from so far up for a decade. But if he can, he seems like a billionaire’s Montrezl Harris.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#13 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm not an Thunder expert but if healthy Gallo, SGA, and Adams are going to be very solid starters. This was a playoff team before the Wes/Paul trade IMO. Question is how will Paul play.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I'm not an Thunder expert but if healthy Gallo, SGA, and Adams are going to be very solid starters. This was a playoff team before the Wes/Paul trade IMO. Question is how will Paul play.

CP3's stats last seaosn, when he wasn't on the floor with Harden, looked just like the CP3 of old. 22/12 per36. He was closer to 15/6 per36 when both players on the floor together and Harden was the primary ball handler. CP3 hasn't fallen off nearly as much as it seems on the surface and should be fine.

I think the biggest reason OKC would miss the playoffs is that CP3 and Gallo both routinely miss 20+ games, and in a conference where 46-49 wins is going to be needed to make the playoffs that likely ends up being the difference.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Marcus50
Junior
And1: 85

Post#15 » by Marcus50 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:37 pm

I'm not so optimistic. this summer Presti had Adams, Roberson and Schroder available for trade, so while it's not a given these 3 dont seem to have a future at OKC. Chris Paul is a short term rental, 1/2 season maybe more, Gallinari seems likely to be traded at the deadline to maximise the value of his expiring contract and eliminate the tax risk. Billy must be at risk given the lack of success.

So this team is totally reliant on the professionalism of this team and their need to secure future contracts which may work but it has all the potential to descend into a rabble with a lame duck coach and a group with no future at OKC. Presti has a job on his hands to convince these guys that OKC has their back and needs their commitment
BigRedDog wrote:Honestly PG13 was amazing last year but that was likely his peak... between his bad shoulder, leg injury, and age i dont think we see him repeat that type of dominance... Westbrook on the other hand looked completely finished as an elite player.. the dropoff from Paul/Gallo to Westbrook/PG13 is barely noticeable...

on top of that they are getting Roberson back who i think can get back to his elite play of 2 years ago...

Add an improving SGA, a steady Adams, Noel providing some depth off the bench.... and an absolute amazing array of draft picks... this is a team in a really good situation.. they can compete now and potentially land a stud to get them back on top..

the real big issue is CP3 health but they have 2 guys they can use at PG if they want to keep his minuntes low in the reg season and try to save him for the playoffs... hes gonna be awfully tough to move in a rebuild so why not keep him and see if this team can win togetehr?

There will be a lot of sellers this year and next with all these superteams like Mil, Phl, LAC, etc so why not give it a go?

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
Marcus50
Junior
And1: 85

Post#16 » by Marcus50 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 pm

Who do we know is on the coaching staff with Mark Bryant and Darko gone?

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#17 » by gom » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm optimistic about OKC's chances too. Some of these posts about the Pelicans though... smh. New Orleans had an incredible off-season, and Zion Williamson has mad skills. I think he'll be a star.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#18 » by Balkman32 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:29 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I heard Matt pinto on the radio last week. His personal opinion (no inside information) was that he wasn’t sure if Andre Roberson would ever be able to play basketball again.

This would suck. If he isn’t injured the past 2 seasons this could all look a lot different.

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/25/sam-presti-andre-roberson-should-be-ready-for-start-of-season/
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Balkman32 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Marcus50 wrote:Who do we know is on the coaching staff with Mark Bryant and Darko gone?

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/23/thunder-announce-five-new-assistant-coaches/
Balkman32
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Balkman32 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:36 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I'm not an Thunder expert but if healthy Gallo, SGA, and Adams are going to be very solid starters. This was a playoff team before the Wes/Paul trade IMO. Question is how will Paul play.

CP3's stats last seaosn, when he wasn't on the floor with Harden, looked just like the CP3 of old. 22/12 per36. He was closer to 15/6 per36 when both players on the floor together and Harden was the primary ball handler. CP3 hasn't fallen off nearly as much as it seems on the surface and should be fine.

I think the biggest reason OKC would miss the playoffs is that CP3 and Gallo both routinely miss 20+ games, and in a conference where 46-49 wins is going to be needed to make the playoffs that likely ends up being the difference.

I think CP3 is going to impress people and really salvage his worth first couple of month. I think the Thunder will do time management on the guys over 28.

If they don’t make the playoffs they probably sold at the deadline.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder