ImageImage

Who is this mystery player?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Who is this mystery player? 

Post#1 » by d-train » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:09 pm

The following is a scouting report by a forum member about a newly acquired player:

radikalBaller wrote:Pretty underated pick-up imo, a very nice fit next to ..., decent athlete and good long range shooter...

Strengths: Fluid, athletic 7-footer with developing all-around skills ... Excellent length on a good frame that will be capable of supporting more muscle ... Quick off his feet ... Strong body-control for a big ... Easy alley-oop target ... Explosiveness helps him blow by slower post players in transition ... Good offensive awareness ... Talented passer with good court-vision ... Does a lot of damage in the post at this level ... Willing to wrestle for good position near the block ... Uses his agility well to get around the rim, and is a quality finisher due to his athleticism ... Becoming a better outside shooter, and is dangerous when left alone from 12-18 feet ... Nice touch from the free-throw line; shouldn't be a liability there in the future ... Sells contact well (he's a good flopper) ... Defends with his body more than his hands ... Protects the rim well on defense ... Blocks a lot of shots ... Smart help-defender ... Gets his hands on a lot of rebounds, and is aware enough to tip-out to teammates when he can't corral one himself ... Usually does a good job of finding somebody to box-out whenever a shot goes up ...

Weaknesses: Will need to add more weight to be comfortable against NBA-caliber centers ... Lacks a real go-to move offensively, though he can do a number of different things well ... Inconsistent motor ... Has a habit of floating around the perimeter a little more than he should ... Can be turnover prone when attempting to put the ball on the floor ... Needs to continue to gain confidence and consistency.

Outlook: ... is a very nice prospect for the center position in the NBA ... Has really blossomed in his sophomore year and is just hitting his stride and was not a big factor in his freshman season ... There really aren't a lot of weaknesses in his game ... He should look to establish an offensive identity and continue to polish his all-around game ... With his potential, he's sure to get some looks in the lottery ...
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Re: Who is this mystery player? 

Post#2 » by Soulyss » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:44 pm

John Collins?
d-train
RealGM

Post#3 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:16 am

Soulyss wrote:John Collins?

John Collins was drafted 2 years ago. This player was acquired this summer within a month.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#4 » by Goldbum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:18 am

Justin Patton?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#5 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:52 am

Goldbum wrote:Justin Patton?

Patton was waived by Sixers within a couple months of getting him in the Butler trade. As far as I know, he is out of the league. However, the player in question has something in common with Patton other than being tall.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#6 » by Masterfully » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:58 am

Meyers Leonard?
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#7 » by Goldbum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 am

Is that a super old scouting report of Whiteside?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#8 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:06 am

Masterfully wrote:Meyers Leonard?

This is right. Did you cheat? Did you search on the posters name?
d-train
RealGM

Post#9 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:08 am

Goldbum wrote:Is that a super old scouting report of Whiteside?

I bet you can't find a pre-draft scouting report of Whiteside that is mostly positive.
d-train
RealGM

Post#10 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 am

I can't believe we let this guy slip through our fingers.

d-train
RealGM

Post#11 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:34 am

Actually, I think Leonard is a really solid player. I think highlights and pre-draft scouting reports are a joke.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 134

Post#12 » by ebott » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:30 am

d-train wrote:

I bet you can't find a pre-draft scouting report of Whiteside that is mostly positive.

This one isn't glowing but it doesn't feel like it's that far off from what he has become:
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/hassan-whiteside
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#13 » by Masterfully » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:31 am

d-train wrote:
Masterfully wrote:Meyers Leonard?

This is right. Did you cheat? Did you search on the posters name?

Nope. Your clues and the scouting report reminded me of Meyers. Then I went back and checked his college stats and felt pretty solid on my guess.
d-train
RealGM

Post#14 » by d-train » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 am

ebott wrote:
d-train wrote:

This one isn't glowing but it doesn't feel like it's that far off from what he has become:
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/hassan-whiteside

That's not a bad report.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#15 » by Jsun947 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Meyers was my first guess although a big part of that is that you're posting it on the Blazers Forum.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#16 » by BNM » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:51 pm

d-train wrote:I can't believe we let this guy slip through our fingers.

I'm going to miss the flexing after the dunks - almost as much as I'm going to miss the dunks.

Meyers had 48 dunks in 2019-20. I think we saw pretty much all of them on that highlight reel.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#17 » by Epicurus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Is it the guy whose team was 18-3 in games he didn't play?
d-train
RealGM

Post#18 » by d-train » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Epicurus wrote:Is it the guy whose team was 18-3 in games he didn't play?

This doesn't say as much as some think. It means the Blazers were good without Leonard's contribution. It doesn't mean Leonard is bad or not good. Now, if Blazers were 3-18 in games Leonard DNP-CD, that might prove Leonard is maybe not so good. It's definitely not a positive for the players that played and took all the shots. Getting great stats and losing is not an affirmative indication a player is good. The player sitting on the bench on a 18-3 team might be better than the player scoring 20 per game on the 3-18 team. Especially, if the player sitting on the bench has complementary skills and the 20 point scorer needs the ball, only he can't win.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#19 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:07 am

From the Hall of Fame Misses thread on the NBA Draft subforum...

Klomp wrote:Meyers Leonard - No joke, I thought he would wind up the best player from his draft class.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Portland Trail Blazers