ImageImage

Woj: Bucks Sign Kyle Korver

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,929

Re: Woj: Bucks Sign Kyle Korver 

Post#141 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:31 am

Korver had a lot of minutes for utahs top rated defense last season and their ratng was pretty much the same whether he was playing or not. he struggled against Houstons scheme in the playoffs and that's where all this defense is completely gone crap is coming from.

bottom line he causes matchup problems and he may have some matchup problems defensively. that's all it is. great chess piece pickup for the bench. one of our best ever this late in an offseason
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#142 » by Perishable517 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 am

BigO wrote:Ray Allen wasn't a great athlete or even a real good one in NBA terms. At 6'5" he had a hard time dunking. Korver will not be held back to "save" him for the playoffs. He will get around 20 minutes a game and not much more in the playoffs, depending on the matchups.
What???

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,931

Post#143 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 am

This will be a fun team to watch no doubt
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,251

Post#144 » by FlagsFlyForever » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:26 am

BigO wrote:Ray Allen wasn't a great athlete or even a real good one in NBA terms. At 6'5" he had a hard time dunking.

Allen was quite athletic during his Bucks days and even at age 38 he was much more of an athlete than Korver ever was.
Read on Twitter
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#145 » by skones » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:57 am

BigO wrote:Ray Allen wasn't a great athlete or even a real good one in NBA terms. At 6'5" he had a hard time dunking.

lol no.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#146 » by BUCKnation » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:40 am

Ray in his bucks days threw it down often. wut
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#147 » by AussieBuck » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:55 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:Korver had a lot of minutes for utahs top rated defense last season and their ratng was pretty much the same whether he was playing or not. he struggled against Houstons scheme in the playoffs and that's where all this defense is completely gone crap is coming from.

bottom line he causes matchup problems and he may have some matchup problems defensively. that's all it is. great chess piece pickup for the bench. one of our best ever this late in an offseason
he was injured in the playoffs last season. He's still a legit rotation worthy guy by my eye. But then also hes almost exactly my age and I feel About 70 years old of late.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,921

Post#148 » by soxperry » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 am

for those of you who are trying to argue that Allen wasn't a superior athlete relative to his peers.. that's not what we are talking about.. the original comment merely compared him to Korver. Quite obviously, Ray is and always was a better athlete than Korver. It's not even close.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,434

Post#149 » by emunney » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:03 pm

soxperry wrote:for those of you who are trying to argue that Allen wasn't a superior athlete relative to his peers.. that's not what we are talking about.. the original comment merely compared him to Korver. Quite obviously, Ray is and always was a better athlete than Korver. It's not even close.

Great post. Korver has had 20 dunks in his career. Let's not get bogged down in whether Ray belonged in the dunk contest (he didn't).
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#150 » by smauss » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:12 pm

It's a discussion not worth having. The questions are can he still shoot, can he still move his feet. I'm confident he can still shoot, the other - not so much..... BTW, still a great pick-up regardless.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#151 » by jimmybones » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 pm

BigO wrote:Ray Allen wasn't a great athlete or even a real good one in NBA terms. At 6'5" he had a hard time dunking. Korver will not be held back to "save" him for the playoffs. He will get around 20 minutes a game and not much more in the playoffs, depending on the matchups.

It takes this video about 4 seconds to prove you wrong. (Edit: you know, the video already posted by Elpelegrino lol)

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,574

Post#152 » by chonestown » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:46 pm

First time long time I think you have to question if Ray Allen was even an athlete I'll hang up and listen to your response thanks.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,898

Post#153 » by Brewhoopfan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:53 pm

I really like this move. I'm going to assume Bud will still be playing Lopez(now both) in the drop zone scheme against the pick and roll. I think this will help hide Korver's defensive weaknesses (which I think are overblown BTW). Most importantly, he will get up the 3PA, averaging almost 10 attempts/36 while shooting 40% last year. For reference, both Middleton and Lopez were under 8 3PA/36. A good comp is Mirotic who launches at about the same rate by at a much lower %. I also think he's a better fit than Mirotic because he fits more of a positional need at the wing.

It's probable Korver will not be in the playoff rotation, but I think he can be a big part of the Bucks repeating as the #1 seed in the East. If "shooting is contagious" is true, I can't think of a better guy to add.
LonghornBuck
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#154 » by LonghornBuck » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:40 pm

I think this is a great pickup. between Korver and Wes you should get about the same production you'd get out of Brogdon over a year. I'm really hoping that there's a big move at the deadline this year. the dead money from stretching contracts is a bit of a bummer but I think Horst has put them in a position where they still might be able to add a big piece this season.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#155 » by Ruben Quevedo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:42 pm

I must be the only one who thinks Korver has always been an underrated athlete?
BigO
Veteran
And1: 2,944

Post#156 » by BigO » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:50 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Ray is in my top 5 favorite Bucks. Ray was a great shooter. Little to no defense and certainly not a great athlete.

Seems like Mickey Davis is the only one else on here who saw Ray his entire career. His game was not to beat his guy to the rim thru quickness. He wasn't a great jumper , no matter how many dunks you show. Even the ones on film don't show great elevation for a 6'5" NBA player. I'd compare his athletic ability to Brogdon, although Brogdon has shown more quickness to the rim than Ray. I will give you this, though. Ray was a better athlete than Middleton.

Ray was one of my favorite Bucks and I was one of the few that liked the draft day trade bringing him here. He was ahead of his time and helped lead to the emphasis today on shooting.Certainly he was a better athlete than Korver, but not significant enough to be a reason why it should be brought up by a poster.
BigO
Veteran
And1: 2,944

Post#157 » by BigO » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 pm

BigO wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Ray is in my top 5 favorite Bucks. Ray was a great shooter. Little to no defense and certainly not a great athlete.

Seems like Mickey Davis is the only one else on here who saw Ray his entire career. His game was not to beat his guy to the rim thru quickness. He wasn't a great jumper , no matter how many dunks you show. Even the ones on film don't show great elevation for a 6'5" NBA player. I'd compare his athletic ability to Brogdon, although Brogdon has shown more quickness to the rim than Ray. I will give you this, though. Ray was a better athlete than Middleton.

Ray was one of my favorite Bucks and I was one of the few that liked the draft day trade bringing him here. He was ahead of his time and helped lead to the emphasis today on shooting.Certainly he was a better athlete than Korver, although I agree that Korver is underrated.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Post#158 » by Siefer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 pm

BigO wrote:Image
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#159 » by WRau1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:47 pm

I remember pre draft shows talking about Allen's athleticism. No, his game didn't rely on it but he was well above average to the point where it was a strength.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#160 » by skones » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:49 pm

BigO wrote:

Ray was one of my favorite Bucks and I was one of the few that liked the draft day trade bringing him here. He was ahead of his time and helped lead to the emphasis today on shooting.Certainly he was a better athlete than Korver, but not significant enough to be a reason why it should be brought up by a poster.

Ray was a plus athlete for the position. Did his game rely on his athleticism? No. Does that mean he "had a hard time dunking" at 6'5? Absolutely not, because that's a ridiculous thing to say. You used hyperbole to try to make him out to be some sort of unathletic sloth, and now you've got egg on your face. There's a mammoth gap between "great athlete" as MD stated and what you stated. The idea that his athleticism was on par with Brogdon is lol worthy. Ray had more bounce and was FAR more fluid. Cut your losses on this one before you dig yourself to China.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks