OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - 2020 (2021) Tokyo Olympics Updated Schedule, Page 13

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,890

Re: OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team 

Post#81 » by G R E Y » Thu Jun 6, 2019 12:10 am

Spurs' Aldridge to join Popovich at Team USA camp
Spurs forward LaMarcus Aldridge has committed to spend the summer with Gregg Popovich.

Aldridge has accepted an invitation to join the roster for Team USA's Las Vegas training camp in August, as Popovich seeks to put together team that will compete in the FIBA World Championships in China later that month.

Aldridge, who turns 34 in July, has been invited to Team USA camps before but has never played for the national team in an international competition.

In all, 18 players are expected to attend the Las Vegas camp, to be held Aug. 5-8. The World Cup tournament begins Aug. 21 and runs through Sept. 15.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Aldridge-to-join-Popovich-at-Team-USA-camp-13940593.php

The article also lists Khris Middleton and Andre Drummond as part of the group expected to participate in the training camp this August.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#82 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter

20 Players Selected to Attend 2019 USA Basketball Men’s National Team Training Camp
Featuring 20 NBA standout players, including six who are new additions to the 2019-20 USA Basketball Men’s National Team roster, USA Basketball Chairman and National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo today announced the athletes who will attend the Aug. 5-9 USA Basketball Men’s National Team training camp that will be used to select the 2019 USA World Cup Team.

USA National Team members who are confirmed to participate in the 2019 Las Vegas training camp include: Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons); Eric Gordon (Houston Rockets); James Harden (Houston Rockets); Tobias Harris (Philadelphia 76ers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers); Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors); CJ McCollum (Portland Trail Blazers); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); and Kemba Walker (Charlotte Hornets).

Added to the 2019-20 USA National Team roster and participating in the August USA National Team training camp are: Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers), Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks), Paul Millsap (Denver Nuggets), Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz), Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics) and P.J. Tucker (Houston Rockets).

“We’re pleased with the players who will be attending the 2019 USA Basketball National Team Training Camp, and we feel we will be able to select a strong team for the 2019 FIBA World Cup,” said Colangelo. “The majority of these players possess prior USA Basketball experience, and we know all of them are committed to representing their country and doing so in the manner expected by USA Basketball.

“Like past national team training camps, this group too possesses outstanding individual talents, while also boasting of excellent versatility and athleticism. We’ve been watching a lot of players during the NBA season and the six players who we’ve added to the National Team roster we feel are deserving of being part of our national team program.”

“I am excited about getting to training camp in August and working with all of the players that have been selected to attend the USA National Team training camp in Las Vegas,” said Popovich. “We’ve got an excellent cross-section of veteran USA Basketball and NBA players, as well as some exciting younger players who possess amazing versatility.

“I’m appreciative of commitment that our National Team players continue to make, and the eagerness of the new players to become involved. Selecting a 12-man team will be extremely difficult. But I look forward to working with all of the players, representing the United States and doing so in a manner that all Americans will hopefully rally behind.”

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/06/mnt-training-camp-players.aspx

BIOS of 2019 USA Men's National Team Training Camp Roster and Staff
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#83 » by G R E Y » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#84 » by G R E Y » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:34 am

UPDATED SCHEDULE (As of 8-1-2019)

Aug. 5-8, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training Camp, Mendenhall Center, at UNLV, Las Vegas, NV

Aug. 9, 2019 / 7:00 pm - USA White vs USA Blue, at T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada / Tickets

Aug. 13, 2019 / 6:00-8:00 pm - USA National Team Training, at Lakers' Practice Facility. Los Angeles, CA

Aug. 14, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training, at Lakers' Practice Facility, Los Angeles, CA

Aug. 15, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training, at Lakers' Practice Facility, Los Angeles, CA

Aug. 16, 2019 / 7:00 pm - USA vs Spain, at Honda Center, Anaheim, CA / Tickets

Aug. 19, 2019 / 4:00-6:00 pm - USA National Team Training, at MSAC, Melbourne, Australia

Aug. 20, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training, at MSAC, Melbourne, Australia

Aug. 21, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training, at MSAC, Melbourne, Australia

Aug. 22, 2019 / 7:30 pm - USA vs Australia, at Marvel Stadium, Melbourne, Australia / Tickets

Aug. 23, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training, at MSAC, Melbourne, Australia

Aug. 24, 2019 / 2:00 pm - USA vs Australia, at Marvel Stadium, Melbourne, Australia / Tickets

Aug. 25, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training, at Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia

Aug. 26, 2019 / 7:30 pm - USA vs Canada, at Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia / Tickets

Aug. 28, 2019 / 12-2 pm - USA National Team Training, at Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia

Aug. 29, 2019 / TBD - USA World Cup Team Training, at TBD, Shanghai, China

Aug. 30, 2019 / TBD - USA World Cup Team Training, at TBD, Shanghai, China

Aug. 31, 2019 / TBD - USA World Cup Team Training, at TBD, Shanghai, China

Aug. 31-Sept. 15, 2019 - FIBA Basketball World Cup (China) / Game Schedule / Tickets

Sept. 1 / 8:30pm - USA vs Czech Republic @ Shanghai, China

Sept. 3 / 8:30pm - USA vs Turkey @ Shanghai, China

Sept. 5 / 8:30pm - USA vs Japan @ Shanghai, China

Sept. 6-9 - Second Round @ Foshan, Nanjing, Shenzhen and Wuhan, China

Sept. 10-11 - Quarterfinals @ Dongguan and Shanghai, China

Sept. 13 - Semifinals @ Beijing, China

Sept. 15 - Finals @ Beijing, China

2020 TOKYO OLYMPIC GAMES

July 24-Aug. 9, 2020 - *Olympic Games (Tokyo, Japan)

*If USA qualifies

https://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/schedule.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - Updated Schedule, Page 5 

Post#85 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:07 am

Catching up on some Team USA news:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#86 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:11 am

Davis is backing out of a commitment to represent his country:
Anthony Davis will not play for USA Basketball in the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup, league sources told Chris Haynes of Yahoo! Sports.

Davis also pulled out of USA Basketball training camp. He will instead focus on preparing for the upcoming Lakers season.

The FIBA Basketball World Cup begins on August 31st.

Davis remains committed to playing for USA Basketball in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254885/Anthony-Davis-Will-Not-Play-In-FIBA-Basketball-World-Cup-To-Prepare-For-Season

By the time FIBA World Cup begins, Davis will have had four months (plus more time post-FIBA WC) to 'prepare for the upcoming season', and I'm including rest which I consider an important part of preparation. That is a third of a year! This after playing on restricted minutes after he made his public trade demand.

So he's fine with other players working to get Team USA to the Olympics and he just wants to show up then? He showed up to Vegas in civvies last summer when Team USA held practices, too. 'Thanks'.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#87 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 pm

And another one. Jesus, these guys are so lame:
Read on Twitter

It's all well and good that he spoke to Pop, but what is putting that info out there supposed to do, make his decision somehow ok?

It used to be that stars were those who were examples of self-sacrifice and serving a cause greater than themselves. Now it seems like to so many their self-interest is the greatest cause they serve. What a rare opportunity they're squandering.

Hopefully there are some players left with pride in representing their country.

EDIT to add that looks like Gordon isn't one of them:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#88 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Honestly, outside of Lowry who had surgery, the rest have shown no pride or sense of togetherness to accomplish a goal bigger than themselves:
Read on Twitter

So the once 20-player roster is now down to 16 because fully healthy players just don't feel like putting in the effort to represent their country.

I hope other players with some heart step up now.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#89 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Right well you can't fault a guy for choosing his family, or Lowry for getting surgery, but it's not like Beal didn't know when his baby was to arrive or Lowry didn't know the FIBA WC dates relative to his surgery, so colour me skeptical with respect to when these guys have chosen to withdraw or get health concerns taken care of:
Read on Twitter

Then there's this:
Read on Twitter

I actually think that for Team USA brass, Beal's and Lowry's situations were known and so these outcomes for both were not unexpected. Zion really is integrating into the NBA so I do understand the reasoning (though the opportunity to represent your country should be hard to pass up... right?).

And now this:
Read on Twitter

I'm truly astonished that these other US 'stars' have bailed on such an honour. Decades from now minstrels will be regaling future generations with songs to commemorate the true brave selflessness of these Great American Heroes and their 'preparations for the season' (international NBA stars have no such quandary...).
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#90 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 pm

"USA has available pool of names to choose from..." - looking forward to seeing who has the heart and right attitude to step up.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Post#91 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:"USA has available pool of names to choose from..." - looking forward to seeing who has the heart and right attitude to step up.

This has been a long time coming actually. Ever since the Dream Team, Team USA has always just been a popularity contest and another way for the chosen to market themselves and profit. The evolution of the games popularity universally has made it no longer necessary for players to have to be on the team to profit globally. Harden, Klay Thompson and others are in China every summer marketing themselves or their products.

It doesn't help that its only the FIBA tournament and not the actual Olympics and what's really a killer is that none of these guys want to spend all summer abroad and come back just 2 weeks before training camp.
And add on top of that all the money guys are losing to injuries, no one wants to take a chance.

I for one never liked the NBA being involved in FIBA in the first place including the Dream Team so this is entertaining to me.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#92 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:"USA has available pool of names to choose from..." - looking forward to seeing who has the heart and right attitude to step up.

This has been a long time coming actually. Ever since the Dream Team, Team USA has always just been a popularity contest and another way for the chosen to market themselves and profit. The evolution of the games popularity universally has made it no longer necessary for players to have to be on the team to profit globally. Harden, Klay Thompson and others are in China every summer marketing themselves or their products.

It doesn't help that its only the FIBA tournament and not the actual Olympics and what's really a killer is that none of these guys want to spend all summer abroad and come back just 2 weeks before training camp.
And add on top of that all the money guys are losing to injuries, no one wants to take a chance.

I for one never liked the NBA being involved in FIBA in the first place including the Dream Team so this is entertaining to me.

All this info about just being named, and profiting globally really rubs me the wrong way. I really can't stand it. If you can do a promo tour four your brand in China, you can do something selfless, bigger than yourself and represent your country in China. It's a totally me-first-and-only move. You just don't see international NBA stars bailing like this, and their concerns are exactly the same; all put together it's a month this summer. It's just not that important to give of themselves, and they want to only show up to the bigger Olympics stage where those concerns are exactly the same. It's embarrassing and really off-putting.

At times I wish that there were repercussions to backing out of a big commitment and not passing the responsibility to other players, maybe something tied to being on the Olympics roster. You don't want to go? You don't get to go. But then again, if a guy doesn't want to be there, do you really want him there? Best to weed out the self-centred and faint of heart.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Post#93 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:All this info about just being named, and profiting globally really rubs me the wrong way. I really can't stand it. If you can do a promo tour four your brand in China, you can do something selfless, bigger than yourself and represent your country in China. It's a totally me-first-and-only move. You just don't see international NBA stars bailing like this, and their concerns are exactly the same; all put together it's a month this summer. It's just not that important to give of themselves, and they want to only show up to the bigger Olympics stage where those concerns are exactly the same. It's embarrassing and really off-putting.

At times I wish that there were repercussions to backing out of a big commitment and not passing the responsibility to other players, maybe something tied to being on the Olympics roster. You don't want to go? You don't get to go. But then again, if a guy doesn't want to be there, do you really want him there? Best to weed out the self-centred and faint of heart.

I totally agree. As you see its mostly American NBA stars bailing. USA Basketball has never had any backbone or meaning once the NBA got involved. It was a total cash grab/popularity contest and now its biting them in the ass. I wish they would jut go back to college players or open tryouts like they used to.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#94 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:58 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:All this info about just being named, and profiting globally really rubs me the wrong way. I really can't stand it. If you can do a promo tour four your brand in China, you can do something selfless, bigger than yourself and represent your country in China. It's a totally me-first-and-only move. You just don't see international NBA stars bailing like this, and their concerns are exactly the same; all put together it's a month this summer. It's just not that important to give of themselves, and they want to only show up to the bigger Olympics stage where those concerns are exactly the same. It's embarrassing and really off-putting.

I totally agree. As you see its mostly American NBA stars bailing. USA Basketball has never had any backbone or meaning once the NBA got involved. It was a total cash grab/popularity contest and now its biting them in the ass. I wish they would jut go back to college players or open tryouts like they used to.

I think it's some sort of cultural approach as well - though that's painting the lot of US players with a broad brush. There are after all, players who are doing just that, sacrificing of themselves for a bigger cause.

I'm just shocked at how pervasive it is among the top tier US players. Maybe it's a reality check and I shouldn't be, but man, getting to play for your country just doesn't measure up to 'what's in it for me' like it used to. Maybe I'm just to naive or idealistic about it, but I do think it means something to represent your country. It's not something you think you'd have to sell a player on! Also, giving your word and keeping it is important. I hate when people just oh-well their way out.

I'm all for player empowerment, but wherever the line was for a balance between it and complete and utter selfishness has been crossed so long ago you can't even see it.

Well there are other players the Team USA brass can ask, so that's good. And when the dust settles, we'll see who outshines the 'stars' in commitment and priorities and heart.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#95 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 am

See, now this is how you do it:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:clap:

Let's see how Thad responds:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#96 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Added to the lame list:
Read on Twitter

And frankly even lamer. Unimpressed, DeMar:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#97 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Hey look! Solid guys with some heart who are willing to commit to play for their country:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#98 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:47 pm

You suck, Kevin. Kyle's a stand-up guy for the effort and commitment:
Read on Twitter

It is a nice blend of youth, speed, and gritty vets.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#99 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:49 pm

This group is now minus Harrell who has given the recycled 'prep for the season' excuse, but a nice group nonetheless:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#100 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Some real talent in the select group:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs