Post#1201 » by Scott Hall » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Worst wrestling shirt of all time? :lol:
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Re: WWE General Discussion II 

Post#1202 » by LLJ » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:50 pm

To think that Rollins was shilling so hard for a company who has done their best to emasculate his character for the last 4 weeks.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1203 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:15 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who in the hell would buy this?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#1204 » by loserX » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:07 pm

Related only because it's on the topic of merch:

is Sonya DeVille's official merch bearing a rainbow? That's awesome, and I can't help but think there's no *way* that would have flown in the WWF when I was a kid.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1205 » by iMoreland » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Braun Strowman and George W Bush, not something I expected to see today

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#1206 » by Dominator83 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

A 1998 Steven regal shirt? :lol:
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#1207 » by tugs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:21 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Worst wrestling shirt of all time?
Did they even acknowledge this on TV? Stupid if you ask me. I've been dreading this when the spat with Beth and Edge started.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1208 » by iMoreland » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Yikes

Read on Twitter
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1209 » by improper » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 pm

iMoreland wrote:Yikes

Read on Twitter

Not to defend this Rollins title reign, because I don't care, but the WWE product in general is way worse now than it was when Mahal was champ.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1210 » by LLJ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Technically Becky would be on those same house shows too as she is also on RAW and she has been pushed as the biggest star in the company since about the Royal Rumble. It certainly never felt like Rollins was ever truly "The Man" in the company (obvious joke aside) even after Mania. It seems like he is taking the blame though.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1211 » by Scott Hall » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:39 pm

The mentality that the champ draws the house has always been stupid people don't go or watch
because a certain character is kayfabe champ they go or watch because the product was
good at the time or the roster is good.

The only reason why Eddie Guerrero is last on that list is because he was champ of that awful Smackdown
brand split that had guys like Kenzo Suzuki, Renee Dupree, Mordacai etc.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1212 » by LLJ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 pm

Now I love Eddie but I cannot right now imagine Eddie could ever draw anyone outside of hardcore smarks by himself. I feel the same about Seth and Becky, except instead of smarks they are only drawing the most hardcore of WWE fans. Most "smarks" are increasingly leaving the WWE or sticking with NXT.

Having said that, the RAW roster seems especially barren with names. And the ones that were hot at one time have been beaten down by bad booking (Braun being the biggest example)
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#1213 » by Stanford » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:28 pm

Scott Hall wrote:The mentality that the champ draws the house has always been stupid people don't go or watch
because a certain character is kayfabe champ they go or watch because the product was
good at the time or the roster is good.

I agree. I think all of this is nonsense. In the territory days, I can see this being true, maybe. If you run in the same area over and over, looking at attendance relative to the champion at the time of the show could provide some good data over the long term. These days, WWE refers to all their wrestlers as superstars and promotes house shows in terms of the overall brand. If Roman and Seth (as champion) are scheduled for the same show, Roman is going to be as much of a selling point as Seth, if not more.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1214 » by Scott Hall » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 pm

In terms of WWE history I think the only real draws are Andre, Bruno, Hogan and Austin.

With Andre most fans back then were marks and thought it was real and maybe seeing guys like Andre
were a true novelty although the NBA had real life giants you could see like Chamberlin, Russell,
Kareem etc. However they did a fantastic job marketing him.

Bruno really had the support of the big Italian communities that he wrestled in predominately like
New York, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Boston etc etc and the fans back then probably bought into him
being this one of a kind athlete.

As for Hogan he was as big as Jordan and Gretzky he brought in a lot of non wrestling fans. People
knew of him from the Rocky Movie and WWFs involvement with MTV people wanted to see him
because he was a big celebrity and it was the in thing to do.

With Austin everybody had Austin 3:16 shirts he by himself was as big as the nWo. Outside of Hogan he's
the only guy to bring in a ton of non wrestling fans and make it cool for awhile.

The thing that Hogan and Austin had though was they were surrounded by other big stars and come from
well booked fun exciting eras. Not only was there Hogan and Andre in the Golden Era you had Randy Savage,
Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts, Mr. Perfect, Big Bossman etc hell everyone was over and literally almost
everyone from that era is in the HOF.

Austin had the Rock, DX, red hot Mankind, Undertaker and hell even Sable and Chyna were super over plus
WWE was doing crazy risque stuff in the Attitude Era people couldn't believe what they were seeing compared
to the Hogan era not to long ago.

I really don't think fans stopped watching or showing up because Randy Savage or Ultimate Warrior were
champion or The Rock or Mankind or HHH were champion. I know Vince would panic sometimes and
put the belt back on Hogan or Austin right away if numbers dropped but I think thats always him misreading
the situation and being out of touch with the fans.

When Eddie was champion that Smackdown 2004 roster is arguably the worst in history. It was actually the
first sign of the WWE starting to suck and it was also clear that Smackdown will forever be the "B" Show and
never be treated as an equal to RAW *hopefully that changes with FOX*

I agree that drawing power has more to do with the old territory days. Every time they bring back a legend
it barely moves the needle on the ratings hell I bet this RAW reunion with all these big names including
Austin and Hogan won't dramatically change the ratings from last week.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#1215 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:26 am

improper wrote:
iMoreland wrote:Yikes

Read on Twitter

Not to defend this Rollins title reign, because I don't care, but the WWE product in general is way worse now than it was when Mahal was champ.

Jinder Mahal > Seth Rollins

Don't @ me
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#1216 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1217 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 pm

LLJ wrote:Now I love Eddie but I cannot right now imagine Eddie could ever draw anyone outside of hardcore smarks by himself. I feel the same about Seth and Becky, except instead of smarks they are only drawing the most hardcore of WWE fans. Most "smarks" are increasingly leaving the WWE or sticking with NXT.

Having said that, the RAW roster seems especially barren with names. And the ones that were hot at one time have been beaten down by bad booking (Braun being the biggest example)

How in the hell could they F up so bad with Braun Strowman???

This guy should be booked like Andre the Giant. A totally unbeatable monster. He should have a year long title reign and just destroy people. Then whatever face finally beats him will be MADE.

Casuals will take one look at this guy and they'll be like yeah, that's a freaking monster who could kill anyone!

And see how they have killed him. You have to be a total moron to F up a guy like Braun Strowman.

Instead they push a bland charisma vacuum because he can do "flipz" and "movez".
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1218 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 pm

Also they should give Braun a manager. Need to find a modern day JIm Cornette or Bobby Heenan.

Another thing missing from wrestling these days. Managers.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1219 » by improper » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 pm

Arsenal wrote:How in the hell could they F up so bad with Braun Strowman???

Because the babyface they wanted to put over him and "make" was Roman Reigns, a guy everyone hated.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#1220 » by Stanford » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Arsenal wrote:Instead they push a bland charisma vacuum because he can do "flipz" and "movez".

You don't even watch the show. How do you know that's why they pushed him?

Return to Pro Wrestling