ImageImageImage

Is Matt Costello the next Bill Laimbeer?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Re: Is Matt Costello the next Bill Laimbeer? 

Post#21 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Let me know when Matt Costello's Combat Basketball comes out.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#22 » by treefi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:28 pm

impossible.
2sinsworth
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#23 » by 2sinsworth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 am

So the general consensus shows Costello is not possibly the next Bill Laimbeer. Geez, I'm not surprised.

But then again, the young brash Bill Laimbeer, a 3rd round pick by Cleveland, when there was such a thing as a third round, could not make the Cavs roster the first season. Sigh. The Cavs, I repeat. Question is what did the pistons brass see in Laimbeer that no one else detected? Maybe they saw he was a big fearless guy with good hands. Or he played tough defense and ran the pick and roll like a mother! Kinda sounds like this guy named Costello eh? Same build too. Same unorthodox style.

Matt Costello went undrafted, kicked around a bit, played here in Austin with the Spurs D League team where I caught a few of the games that one year before he moved on, playing a year in Italy... just as Laimbeer did! I do like his game. I find it a little odd that other Detroit fans don't see the similar traits but I can dig it. Makes me wonder if Bill Laimbeer's game would work in the NBA today.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#24 » by Manocad » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 pm

2sinsworth wrote:So the general consensus shows Costello is not possibly the next Bill Laimbeer. Geez, I'm not surprised.

But then again, the young brash Bill Laimbeer, a 3rd round pick by Cleveland, when there was such a thing as a third round, could not make the Cavs roster the first season. Sigh. The Cavs, I repeat. Question is what did the pistons brass see in Laimbeer that no one else detected? Maybe they saw he was a big fearless guy with good hands. Or he played tough defense and ran the pick and roll like a mother! Kinda sounds like this guy named Costello eh? Same build too. Same unorthodox style.

Matt Costello went undrafted, kicked around a bit, played here in Austin with the Spurs D League team where I caught a few of the games that one year before he moved on, playing a year in Italy... just as Laimbeer did! I do like his game. I find it a little odd that other Detroit fans don't see the similar traits but I can dig it. Makes me wonder if Bill Laimbeer's game would work in the NBA today.

A 6’10” body-up center playing excellent post/interior defense, great rebounder despite not having any athleticism, great hands, good passer, and a quality 3-point shot while being a complete bad ass when needed?

Yeah, I think that game works in today’s NBA. That all being said, does Costello shoot a good three and make it part of his game? If no—which it is—then we can drop the “Will he be the next Laimbeer?” discussion right now on that alone. I saw plenty of Matt Costello at MSU and IMO he looks like he’ll be exactly what the Pistons expect him to be—a serviceable backup center.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,377

Post#25 » by Billl » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm

2sinsworth wrote:So the general consensus shows Costello is not possibly the next Bill Laimbeer. Geez, I'm not surprised.

I never understand why some people seem to thing every big white guy is the next bill laimbeer. Bill didn't excel because he was a big slow guy. He only made it work because he was one of the most brilliant basketball minds of his time. He saw the game happening ahead of the play and that allowed him to be in position despite his lack of speed, jumping ability etc.

Return to Detroit Pistons